Author Topic: Wolfmother (Aust. Rock) + UK Rock Scene  (Read 118 times)

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
Wolfmother (Aust. Rock) + UK Rock Scene
« on: January 04, 2006, 06:35:57 AM »
Anyone overseas heard of Wolfmother?

They've been around in Australia for almost two years now but have just started to take off internationally, played at the US south by southwest festival and did their first UK tour last year. I know they've got a range of dates in the UK in the upcoming two months including a show at Hammersmith Palais for the NME awards, plus another US tour mid way this year. I wouldn't say they're my favourite Aust artist at the moment but they aint too bad and do a good live show. Here's a few tracks for ya's to check out if you haven't heard of them:

The White Unicorn - my personal favourite
h ttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=547M8LIC

Minds Eye - their latest single
h ttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=2W53W2XI

2nd part to the thread...

UK Rock Scene
I have to give major props to you English people, you've got an amazing scene over there at the moment. Over the past 6mths i've seen bands like Futureheads, Bloc Party, Oasis, Kaiser Chiefs, Athlete all performing great shows (also saw The Zutons and Doves but didn't think too much of them) and will be seeing The Subways and Magic Numbers in the next few weeks coming up. 

Also, other bands i haven't seen but have been really impressed by their releases include; Kasabian, The Artic Monkeys, Stereophonics, Maximo Park, the lesser known Oceansize and probably my favourite "newish" group Razorlight.

If anyone had any other suggestions of UK groups i'd be sure to check em out, cheers.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 06:37:54 AM by MidoriHaze »
"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

coola

Re: Wolfmother (Aust. Rock) + UK Rock Scene
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 08:08:17 AM »
yeah my firend introduced me to wolf mother not too long ago... i think they have potential to make it big international, and well thats probably why theyre on tour... real good band...

Mindless Minority

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • England on Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 08:58:27 AM »
The UK scene is looking in healthy shape, there is a few very good bands that could get some much deserved exposure out of what Arctic Monkeys (no THE in front) are doing right now.

Your list isn't exactly sparkling though. The Zutons are fucking great, they sound fresh. Way better then samey indie stuff like Razorlight, Athlete, and Bloc Party. Judging from what you like you should check out The Cribs, they are pretty decent and you should like them based on what you think is good.

The Magic Numbers, probably the best album of the year. And Subways would be decent except the female vocalist is fucking horrible and sounds like a wailing banshee.

I'll see if I can find a link to some decent unsigned bands that are just breaking into the fold at the moment.

Well she moved in ways
That kept her there in our minds for days
Weeks and months it was
I was that amazed and there she stays
Surrounded by the what-ifs and the maybes

Maxin in the Shade

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Wolfmother (Aust. Rock) + UK Rock Scene
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 01:47:12 PM »
ive become a fan of Wolfmother recently and managed to see them live almost 2 months ago.

they come across really good live....................very impressive

ive bought their album aswell and i gotta say its definately a worthwhile purchase
Always talkin bout the cash he got, the little pesos for shows
And God knows his materialistic raps and wack flows
are like Stay Free pads, fake V.I.P. rappers get garbage disposed
Unrecouped for his flamboyance and reflection
He's leasin rentin and frontin
- Kool Keith 'Haters'

Jip

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 02:18:15 PM »
my e-friend went to school with the lead singer and the drummer of the subways :(

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 04:22:14 PM »
The UK scene is looking in healthy shape, there is a few very good bands that could get some much deserved exposure out of what Arctic Monkeys (no THE in front) are doing right now.

Your list isn't exactly sparkling though. The Zutons are fucking great, they sound fresh. Way better then samey indie stuff like Razorlight, Athlete, and Bloc Party. Judging from what you like you should check out The Cribs, they are pretty decent and you should like them based on what you think is good.

The Magic Numbers, probably the best album of the year. And Subways would be decent except the female vocalist is fucking horrible and sounds like a wailing banshee.

I'll see if I can find a link to some decent unsigned bands that are just breaking into the fold at the moment.

I thought it might be the case that there'd be better bands currently out over there, since i'm not native to the UK i was just going what's heavily promoted out here. Whilst i think Bloc Party created a great atmosphere, out of all of those bands i'd have to say they were probably the worst live though, the lead singer's vocals sounds very average.. so much so i don't really listen to them as much anymore.

I don't mind listening to Athlete for a change in pace, i've heard Subways spoil themselves live so i'll probably wait till i see them live to cast judgement.

I've never really been a fan of indie music but since these bands have come through i've found myself listening to more of it. I think it's balanced out as Aust doesn't produce a lot of indie groups as they do 'rock' groups, we've got an upcoming scene starting over here too. 

"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

coola

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 10:26:40 PM »
personally i think wolf mother is better than arctic monkeys... from what i've heard so far anyway..

hempside

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 04:24:33 AM »
I wanna fuck all them suga babies.
heyheyhey smoke weed everyday.

Mindless Minority

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • England on Tour
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 09:26:07 AM »
personally i think wolf mother is better than arctic monkeys... from what i've heard so far anyway..

Well she moved in ways
Weeks and months it was

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 09:56:50 AM »
^ dont cry, we all have opinions, and i know u highly disagree with him.

Mindless Minority

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • England on Tour
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 09:59:50 AM »

No shit sherlock. I'm not crying, not cried for at least 6 years now. Probably nearer 7 actually. Hard as nails me you know.
Well she moved in ways
Weeks and months it was

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 10:05:21 AM »

No shit sherlock. I'm not crying, not cried for at least 6 years now. Probably nearer 7 actually. Hard as nails me you know.
it was an expression and in my opinion its no biggie to cry, if u crying over something worth crying.

Mindless Minority

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • England on Tour
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 10:08:54 AM »

it was an expression and in my opinion its no biggie to cry, if u crying over something worth crying.

Okay I forgive you. But crying is for birds and queers, or people who just had a member of their CLOSE family buried.
Well she moved in ways
Weeks and months it was