Author Topic: More Details on Nas' Deal With Def Jam  (Read 550 times)

herpes

Re: More Details on Nas' Deal With Def Jam
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 01:41:20 PM »

yes b/c most people would turn down a great deal finacially to get pimped by another record deal.  And some you guys have a deep seeded hate for jay.  The man is a great rapper but after the nas/jay beef nas stans took it personal lol.  Nas is at a point in his career where he makes most of the decisons musically.  No one really knows what direction jay will take with other artists and the lable in general but most people assume he'll turn nas back in you owe me nas.

I wasn't saying I thought Nas made a bad deal, I was actually saying that I think Def Jam made a bad deal.  More than that, I was saying that I think it is a bad deal artistically.

Look no further than Nas' "Last Tapes" album, and you'll see that he doesn't need high priced production and big-name guest appearances to put together a great album.  His greatest album "Illmatic" was also short on guest appearances.  He did have one big name producer on there but that was Primo, and Primo always stays true.  Infact, that album was overseen by MC Search, an underground rapper from 3rd Bass that people care little for; but he did an excellent job with the project.

As for me hating Jay-Z cause of his previous beef with Nas, no way man, you got to understand, I'm an old-school hip-hop head.  I've disliked Jay-Z ever since he came out.  I didn't even like his first album, and it came out in 96' when I used to think everything on the radio was hot.  I still hold the opinion that Jay-Z is an average rapper with zero charisma, who is the product of a great marketing team (and he also knows a thing or two about marketing).   Even his beef with Nas didn't inspire me much because even it seemed like another marketing strategy.

A few bones to pick with you lol.  How was primo the only big name producer on illmatic.  Did i miss something lol.  When did Pete Rock, Large Professor, and QTip become small time producers.  Everyone knew Qtip from ATCQ, everyone knew the large professor from main source, and same goes for pete rock with cl smooth.  The only no name was LES. And When did 3rd bass become a underground group.  Pop goes the weesel was  huge and everyone in new york knew who they were.  Maybe the midwest burbs by you they were a group people cared little for but in NY everyone knew who they were.  And Bro, Nas is my favorite rapper and im not that big of a Jay fan but but when it comes to charisma Nas has none, Jay is very charasmatic, thats part of him thats one of the things that helped him blow.  I dunno about you either but i know a lot of old school heads, im talkin people that go back to the days of listening to guys like jimmy spicer, audio2, the bubble bunch, whodini, rock master scott an the dynamic 3, fat boys, you name it an they love reasonable doubt.  And if your a old school head like you say you are you would love reasonable doubt b/c with the exception of the track with foxy its hip hop in its purest form.  You probably havnt even heard RD in its entirety.  I  Remember talking to you a couple years ago about how much you thought mobb deep sucked yet you hadnt heard the song shook ones pt2 there biggest song and a hip hop classic.  So if you dont even know shit like that how can you claim to be a old school head.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 01:43:53 PM by Thank You Messier »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: More Details on Nas' Deal With Def Jam
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 05:53:14 AM »

A few bones to pick with you lol.  How was primo the only big name producer on illmatic.  Did i miss something lol.  When did Pete Rock, Large Professor, and QTip become small time producers.  Everyone knew Qtip from ATCQ, everyone knew the large professor from main source, and same goes for pete rock with cl smooth.  The only no name was LES. And When did 3rd bass become a underground group.  Pop goes the weesel was  huge and everyone in new york knew who they were.  Maybe the midwest burbs by you they were a group people cared little for but in NY everyone knew who they were.  And Bro, Nas is my favorite rapper and im not that big of a Jay fan but but when it comes to charisma Nas has none, Jay is very charasmatic, thats part of him thats one of the things that helped him blow.  I dunno about you either but i know a lot of old school heads, im talkin people that go back to the days of listening to guys like jimmy spicer, audio2, the bubble bunch, whodini, rock master scott an the dynamic 3, fat boys, you name it an they love reasonable doubt.  And if your a old school head like you say you are you would love reasonable doubt b/c with the exception of the track with foxy its hip hop in its purest form.  You probably havnt even heard RD in its entirety.  I  Remember talking to you a couple years ago about how much you thought mobb deep sucked yet you hadnt heard the song shook ones pt2 there biggest song and a hip hop classic.  So if you dont even know shit like that how can you claim to be a old school head.

-As for Pete Rock and Cl Smooth, Large Professor and QTip, I like their sound, but I wouldn't consider them big-name producers.  If you do, okay, I wouldn't argue with you on that one.

-As for your argument about 3rd Bass being a popular group.  The best way I can answer you is that in the midwest where I'm from, wasn't nobody checkin for them.  Maybe they were big on the East Coast, but I grew up listening to West Coast hip-hop mostly.  I started listening to hip-hop when I was 11 at the time the Chronic came out, and the West Coast dominated my stereo up until I was about 17.

-As for charisma, Nas doesn't have much charisma either, but Nas is deep and eccentric, Jay-Z is as shallow as the baby pool.

-Also, I definitely listened to Reasonable Doubt in it's entirety infact I have the album.  96' was the best year of my youth, and I'm pretty much a collector of anything that came out that year.  Almost everything that came out that year was hot.  And even now I listen to Reasonable Doubt just purely for nostalgia purposes.

-As for not being familiar with the Mob Deep track "Shook Ones", again, that was probably because the West Coast was dominating my stereo system at the time that album was hot.

...Looking back, I shouldn't have spent so much time listening to West Coast artists back in the days cause I missed out on some great East Coast records.  However, it was artists like Nas that did finally open me up to the East Coast.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)