Author Topic: Dixie Chicks recall "scary" death threat (from people like CWalker, probably)  (Read 539 times)

Eihtball

NEW YORK (AP) -- Natalie Maines says one of the death threats she received after criticizing President Bush three years ago was "definitely scary" because the sender "had a plan."

Maines, lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, told a London audience during a March 10, 2003, concert: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." The comment was made as war was looming with Iraq, and Maines later apologized for the phrasing of her remark.

In an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EDT), Maines says one threat she received in the summer of 2003 was different from the others.

"It was definitely scary because it seemed so -- it wasn't just somebody wanting to write a hate letter," she says. "It was somebody who obviously thought they had a plan."

Emily Robison, who plays banjo and guitar in the Texas trio, says, "There was one specific death threat on Natalie. [It] had a time, had a place, had a weapon. I mean, everything. ...'You will be shot dead at your show in Dallas.' "

The band flew into Dallas, "went straight from the police cars to the stage and straight from the stage back to the police cars and back to the plane," Maines says. "So, you know, it was all surreal. But at that stage, everything was surreal."

Her London comment angered many country music fans and caused radio stations to pull Dixie Chicks music from their playlists. The Chicks said they received death threats, leading them to install metal detectors at their shows.

Today, the Chicks refuse to apologize to fans who were upset by Maines' comment.

"We don't make decisions based on that," Maines says. "We don't go, 'OK, our fans are in the red states, so I'm going to play a red, white and blue guitar and put on my I Love Bush T-shirt.'

"We're not like that because we're not politicians. We're musicians."

The band, which also includes fiddle and mandolin player Martie Maguire, echoes that sentiment in the song "Not Ready to Make Nice" on their latest album, "Taking the Long Way," slated for release May 23.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/12/people.nataliemaines.ap/index.html

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Why are you so obsessed with me?

And do you want a list of all the conservatives that receive death threats? What does any of that prove?

Eihtball

Why are you so obsessed with me?

Why are you so obsessed with Muslims and immigrants?

And do you want a list of all the conservatives that receive death threats? What does any of that prove?

That right-wing jingoistic conservatives are intolerant of opposing views and react violently to them, that's what.  It's about as logical a conclusion as anything you've ever preached.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 08:33:47 AM by Tha Spirt Ov Allah Clarence 13Xtra Tha Fatha (Iz Active) »

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!

That right-wing jingoistic conservatives are intolerant of opposing views, that's what.  It's about as logical a conclusion as anything you've ever preached.

And the exact same thing can be said about left wingers. Prominent conservatives get just as many death threats for their views. Actually they get it alot worse. Conservatives like Ward Connerly, David Horowitz, Ann Coulter, etc can't even speak at colleges in the US without being accompanied by armed bodyguards due to threats they face. And when they do speak they are always protests, sit ins, they get shouted down, etc. That is at the few colleges where conservatives are even allowed to speak.All because they hold views that aren't considered acceptable on college campuses.

Why are liberals so intolerant of people with different views?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 08:38:28 AM by Real American Iz Active »

Eihtball

And the exact same thing can be said about left wingers. Prominent conservatives get just as many death threats for their views. Actually they get it alot worse. Conservatives like Ward Connerly, David Horowitz, Ann Coulter, etc can't even speak at colleges in the US without being accompanied by armed bodyguards due to threats they face. And when they do speak they are always protests, sit ins, they get shouted down, etc. All because they hold views that aren't considered acceptable on college campuses.

ALL prominent rich folks have armed bodyguards.  That's nothing unique to conservatives.

Yes, it may be true that colleges generally don't like them, but colleges ain't the whole world.  Do you think that if Michael Moore tried to lecture in a Southern town, he wouldn't get death threats?  Why do you think Jesse Jackson needs FOI members for security wherever he goes?  And you are aware that Ice Cube, Ice-T, and Eazy-E all faced death threats for their views, right?

Why are conservatives so intolerant of people with different views?

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
So what is the point of your post if everyone who is controversial gets death threats?

Eihtball

So what is the point of your post if everyone who is controversial gets death threats?

To mock you...by proving I can dumb down to your level.

I know quite well that not all conservatives are intolerant extremists, just as I know that not all liberals are that way.

Sikotic™

Like anyone was gonna listen to those broads anyways. If somebody's political views bother you to the point where you have to threaten them, then you're not fit for society.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

jeromechickenbone

I like how the bitch says "We're not politicians, we're musicians" LMAO!  Then maybe you should quit making political statements dumb ass. 

Eihtball

I like how the bitch says "We're not politicians, we're musicians" LMAO!  Then maybe you should quit making political statements dumb ass. 

Most...Retarded...Post...Ever.  A new low even for you.

So if someone isn't a politician, they're not allowed to express their feelings about politics?  Negro please.

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!

That right-wing jingoistic conservatives are intolerant of opposing views, that's what.  It's about as logical a conclusion as anything you've ever preached.

And the exact same thing can be said about left wingers. Prominent conservatives get just as many death threats for their views. Actually they get it alot worse. Conservatives like Ward Connerly, David Horowitz, Ann Coulter, etc can't even speak at colleges in the US without being accompanied by armed bodyguards due to threats they face. And when they do speak they are always protests, sit ins, they get shouted down, etc. That is at the few colleges where conservatives are even allowed to speak.All because they hold views that aren't considered acceptable on college campuses.

Ann Coulter?  WTF is wrong with you?  Seriously.  How can you cite trash like that as a "conservative."  You have no respect for your own ideology.  The founders would puke if they knew people were calling Ann Coulter a conservative.  She is pure entertainment.  The lady has something seriously wrong with her.... I think so do you.

Are you really able to cite her without being embarassed? Come on.

jeromechickenbone

Most...Retarded...Post...Ever. A new low even for you.

So if someone isn't a politician, they're not allowed to express their feelings about politics? Negro please.

I was illustrating that she shouldn't make political statements and not expect a backlash from opposing viewpoints.  Go back and bump 50 cent.

Diabolical

Most...Retarded...Post...Ever. A new low even for you.

So if someone isn't a politician, they're not allowed to express their feelings about politics? Negro please.

Of course not, especially if it is against George Bush.

Eihtball

I was illustrating that she shouldn't make political statements and not expect a backlash from opposing viewpoints.  Go back and bump 50 cent.

Death threats are not appropriate.  I'm sure CWalker agrees with me that it's wrong that the Danish cartoonists received death threats, and it's equally wrong that someone who opposes Bush should be threatened.  Especially when this dude went into so much detail.

And yes, I am bumping "Power of the Dollar" as we speak.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Most of the nuts that send threats are too cowardly to try anything but every now and then you get someone nuts enough to really try something. I would fully support anything that can link a letter to it's sender. I'm all for privacy but not when it comes before safety. If everyone who was caught sending threatining letters did jail time then you'd see a whole lot less of it happening.