Author Topic: Busta Rhymes Is Probably In Debt To Aftermath/Interscope Right About Now  (Read 1409 times)

coola

and even if busta made a loss on the album... i seriously doubt the man would put all his funds into one project... dude didnt get to where he is being dumb.

Don Seer

^ yeah i said that too :)

^ I hope that's how dre handles it, but I'd bet there's more to it.  It'd be interesting to know what kind of percentage of the album dre expects for having such a heavy hand in it. 

well for things like mary j / knoc/ xzibit / snoop / kurupt etc  from the 2001 album dre did a "you sing/rap for me" you get a beat type thing.. thats a known fact..  same with Game etc.. sure dre gets a few points on sales .. but theres no massive fee for producing the songs in the first place eating into the budget..

'inside' the aftermath circle dre's beats come cheap

Trauma-san

I get ya; but if he's taking part of the sales, that's still less money for the artist.  People act like Dre just gives Busta a beat and Busta goes "Thanks man!" and then maybe they work together years from now... .nah, Dre's getting part of every record sold now.

Still it's better than no Dre beat, like you said he gives them playa rates on the front end and it'll push album sales.  They're better off getting one of his beats though then paying some nobody for a half-ass beat.

Eihtball

Flash forward to Death Row.  Dre produces everything.  Snoop, RBX, DOC write everything.  They get a few talented MC's (Snoop, Kurupt, Daz, Rage) and have the songwriting team help them tighten up their lyrics.  The Chronic one year.  Doggystyle the next year.  "Dogg Food" the next year, etc. and they turn out hit after hit album with the same people on it, in what's really a reflection of the way of business pioneered by Nashville and Motown.  It's incredibly effective and what SOMEBODY, ANYBODY needs to get back to, to make hiphop great again, imo.

I agree with your whole post except for this part.

The problem with this approach is that it is incredibly formulaic.  And that is the reason why Death Row eventually fell apart and their music stopped selling.  Sure, you could argue that Dre leaving removed an important creative element from the team, but even Dre still had troubles with his own music for several years outside of Tha Row.  With or without Dre on the boards, it was inevitable that people would get tired of the Death Row sound sooner-or-later, and that's what happened.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
dope topic,

but to me i think busta will need to go around gold before he starts making money, and dont forget he sold 350 k in like 3 weeks, so he will continue to sell for a minute yet, plus overseas sales, touring, busta will make his money, but like usual dre and interscope will naturally make mo, but i think when dre signed a proven 10 years in the game cat like busta, he and busta obvioulsy knew it would take time, he already said financially he was straight at aftermath, so he must have gotten a good deal, plus im pretty sure you get a better deal signing at aftermath than you do in other label.....since it is meant to be the best label for an artsit.....ofcourse thats subjective but its what people say rght.....i think he gone start making money once he reaches a certain figure about gold, i doubt its platinum.......busta also just signed a 50/50 deal for papoose so he knows he gotta get his money situation straight once this album drops since it may be a minute till his next anyway. busta will be aight........he'll get handled on the math

Trauma-san

Flash forward to Death Row.  Dre produces everything.  Snoop, RBX, DOC write everything.  They get a few talented MC's (Snoop, Kurupt, Daz, Rage) and have the songwriting team help them tighten up their lyrics.  The Chronic one year.  Doggystyle the next year.  "Dogg Food" the next year, etc. and they turn out hit after hit album with the same people on it, in what's really a reflection of the way of business pioneered by Nashville and Motown.  It's incredibly effective and what SOMEBODY, ANYBODY needs to get back to, to make hiphop great again, imo.

I agree with your whole post except for this part.

The problem with this approach is that it is incredibly formulaic.  And that is the reason why Death Row eventually fell apart and their music stopped selling.  Sure, you could argue that Dre leaving removed an important creative element from the team, but even Dre still had troubles with his own music for several years outside of Tha Row.  With or without Dre on the boards, it was inevitable that people would get tired of the Death Row sound sooner-or-later, and that's what happened.

Nobody ever got tired of the Motown sound.  The problem with the Death Row sound is that Suge Knight was an asshole.  Dre would have stayed, had Suge Knight not been an asshole.  Snoop would have... lets just make it short and say that the best music rap ever produced came out of those first few years @ deathrow when it was ran like a business instead of everybody either trying to do it the way they do it today.

Eihtball

Nobody ever got tired of the Motown sound.  The problem with the Death Row sound is that Suge Knight was an asshole.  Dre would have stayed, had Suge Knight not been an asshole.  Snoop would have... lets just make it short and say that the best music rap ever produced came out of those first few years @ deathrow when it was ran like a business instead of everybody either trying to do it the way they do it today.

But Motown did fall off eventually, right?  They still exist as a label now, but they no longer have the sort of mainstream power they had in the 60s.

Even before Dre left and Pac was killed, there was a lot of backlash directed at Death Row because the G-Funk sound was being done to death in hip-hop and everyone was getting sick of it.  Neither Dre nor the rest of Death Row significantly reinvented themselves at all during that time, either.  So I think Death Row falling off was inevitable.

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Busta doesn't pay that money back.  The label invested in Busta's album, if it doesn't make money, it's the labels fault, not Bustas.

thats fuckin cool. i guess its a perk of being a legend it becomes less of a gamble with each release
if that was the case...his reputation would of got shot down..and next time...there's no next time to invest on busta..
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
so why dont some of these co-called "rich rap artists" just buy their own studios like Snoop and Dre and shit and just record music in your own studio then it wouldnt cost you shit no matter how long it took to make the album....

BTW, I HIGHLY doubt that Busta is going broke over the big bang....all you guys who think you are making more paper than Busta Rhymes are fuckin dumb asses.....seriously....lets not start comparing busta to mc hammer, are you guys serious?

I'm pretty sure Busta does have a studio in his crib...Most rappers do. It's just that real studios are usually the best, as opposed to home studios...

yeah home studios are for prototyping.. you save money making skeleton songs there..a nd touch em up in the studio..

as usual infinite has been a bit extreme with this post.. but there are some very good points in amongst it, and those are built up and reinforced by what trauma's posted..

the industry is shady. busta knows what he's doing at this stage.. i hope!

dre will have given "mates rates" thats the best thing about being on aftermath.. no 5 figure sum for a dre beat, just a promise you'll guest if he needs you on detox etc..

hey home studio is tight homie.  It can bring out almost the same quality..just depends on how skillfull you are with it.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]