Author Topic: Rate The Snoop Albums, 1-8  (Read 3394 times)

Lunatic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
Rate The Snoop Albums, 1-8
« on: February 10, 2007, 10:14:42 PM »
Alright. Not sure if this has been done b4 or not. now that the t.b.c.t. has been out for a while, I personally know were it fits in.

1. Doggystyle - Clearly his best. To me, this may be the greatest thing hip-hop album ever. right up there with cube's death certificate for me.

2. No Limit Top Dogg - Might drop some jaws, but to me, it's his most consistent album besides doggystyle ofcourse. although only a few CLASSIC tracks (IMO), there are a bunch of really dope/decent 1s.

3. Tha Doggfather - similar to no limit top dogg, in that it doesn't have that many personal classics, but it's consistent, and not alot of
filler material.

4. Tha Last Meal - I am pretty sure most people on here worship this album. Let me start off by saying that there isn't a big gap to me on my rankings of his albums from 2-6. I thought the album started off dope as FUCK. but soon as it hits track 10, I am only feeling 2 songs. It's to bad because, henn & buddah, what's my name pt.2, set it off, lay low, are some of my fav. snoop tracks. I was just mad disapointed how in-consistent it became for me.

5. Tha Blue Carpet Treatment - There's alot of personal classics on here for me. could easily be ranked alot higher, if i didn't think there was so much filler material.

6. Paid Tha Cost To Be Tha Boss - after listening to it agian the other day for the 1st time in a while, i found it to be alot better then i 1st thought.

7. R & G - quite a bit of filler material on here as well. more personal classics to me then some of the other albums i ranked higher, but wayyyy to inconsistent. but also i've been on the r & b tip recently, so some of the songs i felt more then i usually would.

8. Game Is To Be Sold - just a horrible album. I am literally feeling to 4 songs outta the 20. I've tried to block this cd completely out of my memory, but it's so bad, it's impossible to do so.

Agian, let me say that there isn't a big gap at all from my rankings 2-6.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

d-nice

Re: Rate The Snoop Albums, 1-8
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 10:22:07 PM »
Doggystyle
Doggfather
Tha Last Meal
Blue Carpet
No Limit Topp Dogg
Paid The Cost
R&G
Da Game

But in the Game's defense, lyrically Snoop did have some fire lyrics, the beats just did not match

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:29:16 AM by d-nice »

Lunatic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:36:22 PM »
yea, i think the beats is what turned me off to da game. also, when the beat is bad, i find it extremely hard to get into it, and maybe i failed to realize how dope snoop's lyrics are on there. i didn't expect much going in (because of word of mouth), and i didn't get much. i have rarely wanted to finish an album so bad before.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

d-nice

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:45:13 PM »
I think the bad tracks on that album were REALLY bad. The good ones for me were drowned out alot because the production did not match.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Made
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 11:15:17 PM »
Doggystyle
Last Meal
Top Dogg
Doggfather
Dead Man Walking
Blue Carpet
Paid the Cost to be the Bo$$
R&G (Rhythm & Gangsta) - The Masterpiece
The Game is to be Sold, Not Told

WestCoasta

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 11:23:21 PM »
Doggystyle

Doggfather

No Limit Top Dogg

Tha Last Meal

Game Is To Be Sold

Paid Tha Cost

Dead Man Walkin

Blue Carpet Treatment

R&G

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 11:48:50 PM »
Doggystyle
LAst meal
Top Dogg
Doggfather
Blue carpet
The game is too be sold - - - By the way this album had some pretty tight beats if yuo look back on it

as far as rbg or wtv and the paid the coss...i never heard them to tell u the truth after being turned off by the singles.

d-nice

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 11:49:14 PM »
I like all of Snoop's albums. Maybe a little bit more filler later in his catalog but overall he has alot of dope shit.

d-nice

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 11:50:52 PM »
Doggystyle
LAst meal
Top Dogg
Doggfather
Blue carpet
The game is too be sold - - - By the way this album had some pretty tight beats if yuo look back on it

as far as rbg or wtv and the paid the coss...i never heard them to tell u the truth after being turned off by the singles.

I got that cd right here, I am going to bump it again and listen to it. 20 Dollars To My Name was the shit on there.

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 07:27:16 AM »
Doggystyle 5/5
Doggfather 4.5/5
Last Meal 4/5
Top Dogg 4/5
Blue Carpet Treatment 3.5/5
R&G 3.5/5
Paid Tha Cost 2.5/5
Da Game 2/5

albums 2-6 are pretty much the same for me too

PLANT

• Stay Gold
  • Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 07:36:29 AM »
DOGGYSTYLE - 10/10
TOP DOGG - 8.5/10
LAST MEAL - 8/10
BLUE CARPET TREATMENT - 7.5/10
DOGGFATHER - 7/10
RYTHYM & GANGSTER - 6.5/10
DA GAME IS TO BE SOLD... - 6.5/10
PAID THAT COST... - 5/10

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 10:25:26 AM »
Doggystyle - 10 // No fucking doubt it's a hip-hop masterpiece, both 'cause of Snoops raps and Dres beats.

Tha Doggfather - 9 // Mixing could've been better. Otherwise, it's heat. Gold Rush, Vapors, Doggfather etc etc.

Tha Last Meal - 9 // Personally the only tracks that let's me down these days is Back Up Off Me

No Limit Top Dogg - 8.5 // Couple tracks are a letdown, a lot of dope stuff, a few (to me at least) classic cuts.

Blue Carpet Treatment - 8.5 // Still totally feeling this album. A few tracks on the last third don't always hit home, but otherwise it's cool.

Paid Tha Cost... - 3 // In my opinion, it's just a bad album. Some cool verses or lines here and there, but a huge letdown to me. Didn't like the production pretty much at all. The intro had the best beat.

R&G - Heard it, didn't like it, didn't get it. There's a couple cuts I like though.

Da Game... - In all honesty, I've never heard it. Everybody's always doggin' it, so I've never bothered. :laugh: I only got "Still a G-Thang" - which has just a CLASSIC Meech Wells beat. "Top dolla with the gold flea collar, dippin' in my blue impala..." Love that shit.

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 10:49:11 AM »
Doggystyle - 10 // No fucking doubt it's a hip-hop masterpiece, both 'cause of Snoops raps and Dres beats.

Tha Doggfather - 9 // Mixing could've been better. Otherwise, it's heat. Gold Rush, Vapors, Doggfather etc etc.

Tha Last Meal - 9 // Personally the only tracks that let's me down these days is Back Up Off Me

No Limit Top Dogg - 8.5 // Couple tracks are a letdown, a lot of dope stuff, a few (to me at least) classic cuts.

Blue Carpet Treatment - 8.5 // Still totally feeling this album. A few tracks on the last third don't always hit home, but otherwise it's cool.

Paid Tha Cost... - 3 // In my opinion, it's just a bad album. Some cool verses or lines here and there, but a huge letdown to me. Didn't like the production pretty much at all. The intro had the best beat.

R&G - Heard it, didn't like it, didn't get it. There's a couple cuts I like though.

Da Game... - In all honesty, I've never heard it. Everybody's always doggin' it, so I've never bothered. :laugh: I only got "Still a G-Thang" - which has just a CLASSIC Meech Wells beat. "Top dolla with the gold flea collar, dippin' in my blue impala..." Love that shit.
I'm almost certain If I had heard Paid Da Cost and R&G, my rank would've been the same, changing the places of Last Meal and Top Dogg in terms of mood
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

Traumatized

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 10:58:35 AM »
1. Doggystyle 5/5
2. Doggfather 4.5/5
3. Da Game... 1.5/5
4. No Limit Top Dogg 3/5
5. Tha Last Meal 4/5
6. Paid tha Cost 3.5/5
7. R&G 3.5/5
8. TBCT 4/5

Si-Chiggedy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Si-Chill On Tha Beat!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 01:39:36 PM »
1. Doggystyle:
Just classic shit. When you listen to the "G-Funk Intro" then you know what's up. Classic after classic. But to me it's not THE best rap album. Everybody who knows rap must say that, because the rap-history has albums like Foesum's "Perfection", 3X Krazy's "Stackin Chips", Mr. X's "Mr. X", U.D.I.'s "Under Da Influence" and so on and so on. But Doggystyle is on the same level.

2. Paid Tha Cost To Be Da Bo$$:
I definetely don't know why this album gets so much hate. I love this album, the only track I really hate is "U Got What I Want". To me it's fucking fire with tracks like "Pimp Slapp'd", "The One And Only", "Stoplight" or "Wasn't Your Fault". It has a cool mix of funk, gangsta, mainstream and pimpish style. "Ballin" is a classic Battlecat beat.

3. Tha Last Meal:
It's a hard decision for me but I chose Tha Last Meal before NL Top Dogg, because I felt it had more Westcoast classics on it, for example "Set It Off" ft. MC Ren, Lady Of Rage, Ice Cube & Bad Azz or "Lay Low" ft. Nate, Tha Eastsidaz and a great Dre beat. There's a bunch of dope KoKane hooks on it, but I think Koka was overused on the album. "Y'all Gone Miss Me" is appreciable too, because of the funky worm :)

4. No Limit Top Dogg:
As I said before, NL Top Dogg is shortly behind Tha Last Meal, but even though it's a very dope album. I have to name tracks like "Snoopafella", "G Bedtime Stories" (bomb beat of Meechy), or "Don't Tell" which is classic with all those features especially Mausberg (R.I.P.). The No Limit produced tracks by Beats By Tha Pound are dope too. I like the hard "Down 4 My N'z". It was a balanced album with less fillers but not sooo many classics.

5. Tha Blue Carpet Treatment:
I don't know how to rank it because it's too new. It takes a lil bit more time for me before I really can say it's better that this and that or not. But what I can say is that there many dope beats and guests on it. "Crazy" is amazing, so is "Candy". I like some Hyphy shit like The Team or Bailey so I love this track. To me it's classic to hear MC Eiht over that beat, the video does its job too. But I have to mention that... I dunno but I think Snoop's voice sounds old over the album. I don't mean his flow and shit, he still has his sharpness like on "Think About It" which could have been a track on Doggystyle in my opinion. But I feel like his voice changed so much in relation to Paid Tha Cost... for example where I felt his voice was something special. I don't know if it's because of the mixing or because of an other reason but I think after the 213 record his voice has lost something. Funnily enough he has the "paid tha cost - voice" on Nas' new album so I think the track on Nas' album is an old one or they mix it in an other way. Altogether it's a cool album, way better than expected when I heard about it.

6. Da Game Is To Be Sold Not To Be Told:
I like this album because I also like the "stupid" No Limit style. I like those beats for some reason. I can't listen to it the whole day but sometimes I need to hear this style. "Tru Tank Dogs" ft. Mystikal is just  :o so are "Whatcha Gone Do" ft. P and "DP Gangsta" with C-Murder. I can understand when people say it's too much No Limit shit, but because he did just one of those hard-influenced NL records I'm happy with it. Just listen to his flow on "Still A G Thang". "Hoes, Money & Clout" bangs the trunk like whaaaa. Of course there a few horrible tracks on it like "D.O.G.'s Get Lonely 2". When you listen to this, you know why they get lonely sometimes...

7. Tha Doggfather:
I don't really feel this album as a whole thing. The flow of it gets murdered every few tracks, even though it has some classic tracks like "Vapors", "Two Double O One" or "Gold Rush" with a great Kurupt. I don't say it's a bad record but imo it gets boring on some places and as a whole it's not as good as the others.

8. Rythm & Gangsta - The Masterpiece:
I don't know what he's been smoking when he named it "Masterpiece". This record is just horrible, the dope tracks are way too rare, I need a loupe to find. Of course "Drop It..." was a smasher for the clubs and "Let's Get Blown" brought the funk back into the spotlight but I puke on tracks like the one with Nelly ( :'( ) or this fuck'd up Lil Jon beat. He made way better crunk beats on Ice Cube's album. "Im Threw Witchu" is garbage! Just don't talk about that shit no more... I'm so happy that he hasn't continued this route on TBCT.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »
I was thinkin bout doin this thread after Blue Carpet came out, but it was too fresh on my ears to really judge like that, and still is. LOL that EVERYBODY will have Doggystyle #1....I only know like 2-3 people who wouldn't say that, and it's for dumb reasons.

Damn this is hard as hell right here.......Snoop n Quik are my favorite artists, and it's hard as hell to rank their LPs.....same goes for Jay-Z...because many of them are great in their own ways, and represent different moods and time periods. 

1. Doggystyle - No explanation needed. For me, this is the album that got me into rap, and I still remember getting caught for listening to it in 4th grade and getting on punishment and having to study Science. I still play it more than almost anything else I have.

2. Blue Carpet - It's brand new, and it's hard for me to really say that it's his second best album with everything he's done since Doggystyle....but after hearing it so many times, I really do think it's his second best, and if not, it's top four. There are a few filler tracks, but the great tracks are GREAT, especially for the mood. Nearly every song gets me hyped when I play it. Lyrically, this is probably Snoop's best CD, and flow wise, he has moments that are almost as good as Doggystyle.

3. Last Meal - I don't think this album really had any great standout songs like that....even Lay Low never blew my mind. But overall as an album, it's definitely one of his best, and is his most consistent album aside from Doggystyle.

4. Top Dogg - Has Snoop's best song that wasn't from Doggystyle, which is B Please, and has a good number of timeless standout songs on there. Very consistent aside from "In love with a thug".

5. Doggfather - Personally, this album has always been underrated to those who expected Doggystyle, and overrated for those who loved Snoop because of Doggystyle. It's definitely a solid album, but it has a few sleepy songs on it that should have been left off with no question. Although I say it's #5, I think that #2-5 are nearly equal.

6. Paid da cost - Very underrated to me, probably because the Neptunes songs threw off what people expected from it. Everybody was bumpin Stoplight when the album dropped, but this album has been forgotten about for the most part. Ballin was one of the most amazing songs I had ever heard, and I have no idea why people didn't feel it like I did.

7. R&G  - Definitely wasn't a bad album as some people thought, and I liked a lot of songs on there. I just think it was too commercial for Snoop's truest fans. Drop it like it's hot is a classic club track with no questions.

8. Da Game is to be sold - Had a few dope songs on it, but had some HORRIBLE songs on it as well. Overall, it wasn't a terrible album at the time, and still isn't....but is easily Snoop's least memorable. It is still better than many other efforts we've heard, and most people in L.A. that I knew were actually No Limit fans at the time, and thought the album was hot...but playin it now, it's like damn......

Plumma25

• 'G'
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 05:49:02 AM »
1.  Doggystyle
2.  Tha Doggfather
3.  Tha Blue Carpet Treatment
4.  Tha Last Meal
5.  No Limit Top Dogg
6.  R&G
7.  Paid Tha Cost To Be Tha Boss
8.  Da Game Is To Be Sold Not To Be Told
if you're girl has a leak tell her 2 call tha mothafuckin' Plumma named Pete, thats me.

Navaveli

• Lil Geezy
  • Offline Offline
  • Murderious Mind State, Cant Keep Me Nine Str8
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 09:16:46 AM »
I have noticed with the exception of Doggystyle alot of seem to appreciate Snoops other work after listening to it years later for example Tha Doggfather. That album was so hated on but now seems to creep up as his 2nd best album and a masterpiece at that. Well here is what I think the Ratings are:

1.) Doggystyle - Snoop at his hardest with that smooth but hardcore delivery, he was hungry as hell on this album. Broke it down with Dre producing. This is a Hip Hop Classic album.
2.) Tha Last Meal - This album was tight from  beginning to end, more consistant album from Snoop. Like how Snoop and Kokane sounded tight together.
3.) Tha Doggfather - I would say this is a tie with #2 another consistant album with more of laid back G Funk Album. Real good from beginning to end and I think Snoops lyrics are really tight on this one..
4.) Tha Blue Carpet - This album is tight but not consistant at all, there is many bangers all this album that make it listenablee but alot of filler tracks and I wish they would have put Wannabes on the album...
5.) No Limit Top Dogg - THis album is a banger with more west coast feel, this album to me is very close to the format of Tha Blue Carpet album. These two albums seem like they are albums that were released after a really bad album to bring back the old snoop.

Okay i believe Snoop really only has 5 hit albums, the next 3 records are to me wack albums that have maybe only 3 to 4 bangers max.
6.) R and G - This album had Drop it like its hot and one or two other good tracks, the rest to me was trash.
7.) Da Game - I have to admit there was some tight beats on this one and some good tracks but it was far from a snoop record but it still had some good joints. Not as  bad as people make it out to be..
8.) Paid the Cost - to me this was the worst album ever. Only track I really like is The one and only produced by premier.. damn Snoop and DJ Premier sound real tight together. I would like to see Premier produce a whole Snoop album.

I believe in most cases the albums listed to 1 to 5 are Snoops great work, albums are filled with bangers, 6 to 8 are albums i believe most people will have in that rating that I would consider waste of money albums, only few good joints the rest is trash...
Murderious Mind State, Cant Keep my Nine Str8...

R.I.P Makaveli aka Tupac Shakur the Hip Hop Don...

Si-Chiggedy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Si-Chill On Tha Beat!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 09:24:57 AM »

8.) Paid the Cost - to me this was the worst album ever. Only track I really like is The one and only produced by premier.. damn Snoop and DJ Premier sound real tight together. I would like to see Premier produce a whole Snoop album.

Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

d-nice

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 09:38:12 AM »
I listened to Da Game all this weekend. After all this time it still sounds rushed, just like Snoop said it took him 2 weeks to do the album, it sounds like it. The guests appearances for the most part sound forced and rushed. There are some good tracks on it but it just did not fit his style. I think people that like more of a uniform sound from Snoop, TLM, Doggfather and Tha Last Meal score higher. TD was dope because Snoop brought it back west with Dre and others, but that album was like the first where he started working with the regulars today like Jelly Roll, Meech Wells, DJ Quik, etc. And that album just had some DOPE records on it. Paid Tha Cost I am going back and listening to that again this week, I think that one gets alot of heat also, but for the record I bump all those albums on the regular. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 10:04:51 AM by d-nice »

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 09:53:03 AM »
I listened to Da Game all this weekend. After all this time it still sounds rushed, just like Snoop said it took him 2 weeks to do the album, it sounds like it. The guests appearances for the most part sound forced and rushed. There ar some good tracks on it but it just did not fit his style. I think people that like more of a uniform sound from Snoop, TLM, Doggfather and Tha Last Meal score higher. TD was dope because Snoop brought it back west with Dre and others, but that album was like the first where he started working with the regulars today like Jelly Roll, Meech Wells, DJ Quik, etc. And that album just had some DOPE records on it. Paid Tha Cost I am going back and listening to that again this week, I think that one gets alot of heat also, but for the record I bump all those albums on the regular. 

co-sign, No Limit used to out out 2 albums a month, they used to record them in 2 weeks, you had to respect Master P's hustle but not everybody was like a Pac who can make a classic song in half an hour, Snoop is a dude who needs months to work on his album, that's what he did with No Limit Top Dogg and Last Meal and they came out dope

Sosna

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 01:29:40 PM »
Ohhh, shit...

1. "Doggystyle"
2. "Tha Blue Carpet Treatment"
3. "No Limit Top Dogg"
4. "Paid Tha Cost To Be Da Bo$$"
5. "Tha Last Meal"
6. "Tha Doggfather"
7. "R&G (Rhythm & Gangsta): The Masterpiece"
8. "Da Game Is To Be Sold, Not To Be Told"

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 02:06:47 PM »

DOGGYSTYLE - 10/10
DOGGFATHER - 9/10
TOP DOGG - 8.5/10
LAST MEAL - 8.5/10
BLUE CARPET TREATMENT - 8/10
PAID THAT COST... - 6/10
RYTHYM & GANGSTER - 6/10
DA GAME IS TO BE SOLD... - 3/10

CanadActive

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Offline Offline
  • Only one GOAT... MJ
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 02:54:27 PM »
1. Doggystyle -  8)

2. Tha Doggfather - Best tracks imo : Up Jump da Boogie, Sixx Minutes, Snoop's Upside ya Head, 2001, Gold Rush & Tha Doggfather so that's a lot of good song (but it's imo).

3. Tha Last Meal - It's like Snoop was in another world for a little while... Except for the Death Row days, it was (imo) the best Snoop era.  Kokane make it a classic!!!!

4. The Blue Carpet Treatment - After R&G I never tought he would come back that hard... A near perfect compromise between mainstream music and gangsta rap...

5. No Limit Top Dogg - He just dippin!!!!

6. Dead Man Walking - A lot of very good song on this one... "Gangsta Walk" is one of the hardest track ever.

7. Paid The Cost To Be The Boss - Some very good song, but after listening to the advance a was waiting for a better album...  "The Boss Would Like 2 See You" is so fucking dope tough.

8. Da Game Is To Be Sold - Too much of that No Limit sound imo... Some good song tough (Still A G Thang, Snoop World, Gin & Juice pt.2)

9. R&G - The self-called "King of The West" making an album with Lil Jon, Justin Timberlake, 50 Cent, Nelly & Pharrell as major guests?  WTF!!!!!!!
The Canadian Polish

Lion King

• Lil Geezy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 02:04:32 AM »
Y'all forgot about his SmokeFest World Tour album. That was a official album. And it was straight fire if you ask me - very dope album...