Thriller
Beat it
Billie Jean
Human Nature
P.Y.T.
The Lady In My Life
Someone in the Dark
Carousel

Author Topic: The Thriller Thread  (Read 922 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
The Thriller Thread
« on: April 29, 2007, 01:13:22 AM »
40 million people would not have bought a whack album....10 million may buy a whack album yeah....but the last 30 million that bought Thriller wouldn't have bought that shit unless the FIRST 10 million told them that that shit was the fucking shit. Have been bumping PYT(my choice for best track on the record) non stop lately.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
Re: The Thriller Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 01:28:46 AM »
Jackson really hit the jackpot with this

my favs are Beat it, Wanna be Startin Somethin' and Billie Jean of course.

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:32:11 AM »
damn,i havent thought of this album/mj for a minute.....wanna be startin somthin was my jam as a youngster,last time i tried to listen to mj i just wasnt into it...think ill give it another shot

-CaliKid-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ^dime^
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 01:57:05 AM »
Shit, i was just bumping this album earlier today  8) This is a classic no doubt. I luv all the songs on here but if i had to go with 1, it would be 'Billie Jean'.

Samoan Enforcer

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 03:11:00 AM »
i cant go with one.

Thriller
Beat it
Billie Jean
P.Y.T.

are def. my top 4, these songs make my soul feel warmer after listening

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 03:11:27 AM »
that fucking motown 25 performance of billie jean is positively inhuman.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Paul

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 06:37:35 AM »
i listen to this and off the wall all the time on my ipod

i voted for baby be mine,
funkyfreshintheflesh

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 07:54:44 AM »
This is one of the greatest albums ever. 8)

Way too hard to pick just one track, they all is on some serious shit. All above average.

I'm going to have to go with 'Human Nature'. NOBODY can write a song like that. He sounds amazing singin' it of course and when he perfroms it, HOLY shit.

Paul

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 08:39:04 AM »
This is one of the greatest albums ever. 8)

Way too hard to pick just one track, they all is on some serious shit. All above average.

I'm going to have to go with 'Human Nature'. NOBODY can write a song like that. He sounds amazing singin' it of course and when he perfroms it, HOLY shit.

i love that track
funkyfreshintheflesh

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 09:05:34 AM »
baby be mine

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 09:06:39 AM »
And yes, I know, Michael Jackson did not write Human Nature, still NOBODY can write a track like that. ;)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 09:35:20 AM »
that fucking motown 25 performance of billie jean is positively inhuman.

-T
??

my fav is wanna be starting something

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 10:27:34 PM »
Damn thats a Hard one!!! I'll Go with Baby Be Mine and Wanna be startin

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 05:49:32 AM »
40 million people would not have bought a whack album....10 million may buy a whack album yeah....but the last 30 million that bought Thriller wouldn't have bought that shit unless the FIRST 10 million told them that that shit was the fucking shit. Have been bumping PYT(my choice for best track on the record) non stop lately.

-T

Well to be fair, it wasn't 40 million people. A lot of people bought the album at least twice, many three times. This was the Reagan years so the US and US affiliates had extreme amounts of disposable income. The audio cassette, walkman, and cassette deck in cars were getting very popular and the CD was just around the corner. So while the number 1 format was still the LP most people still wanted the album for portable use. Throw in the fact that the LP only cost like 3 or 4 dollars and you have a hit. I mean look at all the other albums from that era. Everyone was going diamond or eventually went diamond. Reagan's 80s was a big time for music sales.

The only difference between Thriller and ...Baby One More Time or Backstreet's Back is that MJ wrote some of the songs himself. It was a corperate album that took sounds that were being innovated by acts like Queen and Rick James and glossed those sounds up a bit while adding big bugdets for videos. Is it a terrible album? No, but Phantom Menace isn't a terrible movie either, yet the just shy of a billion dollars in revenue doesn't make it a great film.

I picked Beat It. I like the riff, and love the VH solo.

StevenQBosell

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 07:15:46 AM »

-T

Well to be fair, it wasn't 40 million people. A lot of people bought the album at least twice, many three times. This was the Reagan years so the US and US affiliates had extreme amounts of disposable income. The audio cassette, walkman, and cassette deck in cars were getting very popular and the CD was just around the corner. So while the number 1 format was still the LP most people still wanted the album for portable use. Throw in the fact that the LP only cost like 3 or 4 dollars and you have a hit. I mean look at all the other albums from that era. Everyone was going diamond or eventually went diamond. Reagan's 80s was a big time for music sales.

The only difference between Thriller and ...Baby One More Time or Backstreet's Back is that MJ wrote some of the songs himself. It was a corperate album that took sounds that were being innovated by acts like Queen and Rick James and glossed those sounds up a bit while adding big bugdets for videos. Is it a terrible album? No, but Phantom Menace isn't a terrible movie either, yet the just shy of a billion dollars in revenue doesn't make it a great film.

I picked Beat It. I like the riff, and love the VH solo.

Well, I've taken the point into consideration, howvwer the difference between this album and the Backstrret boys or whoever, is that this music is timeless.

Glossy? Hell Yeah!

Radio friendly? Ofcourse!

Listening to it 20+ years after it's released, and it's still as fresh as when I was was 4 and copped the record for the 1st time. I don't think many can say that about NSync or Backstreet.

I doubt any Backstreet album would be in the "classic" catagory.

Back to the topic... my 2 faves are PYT, Billie Jean, and on the re-issue, they put a new song on Carousel, propduced by Temperton, BEAUTIFUL song, download it you can, I'll try to uploadit. It was a 1982 - 1983 master that wasn't released until the reissue.

Thriller is my nu,mber one 1 record, follwed very closley by Off The Wall