Author Topic: Blu and Exile - Below The Heavens  (Read 415 times)

wcsoldier

Blu and Exile - Below The Heavens
« on: August 19, 2007, 05:21:09 AM »
Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens

1. My World Is 
 2.  The Narrow Path   
 3.  Soul Amazin'   
 4.  Juice N' Dranks Ft. Ta'Raach   
 5.  In Remembrance   
 6.  Blu Colla Workers   
 7.  Dancing in the Rain   
 8.  First Thing First Ft. Miguel Jontel   
 9.  No Greater Love   
 10.  (Show Me) The Good Life Ft. Aloe Blacc & Joseph   
 11.  Simply Amazin'   
 12.  Cold Hearted Ft. Miguel Jontel   
 13.  Below the Heavens   
 14.  You Are Now in the Clouds With... Ft. The Koochie Monstas

Who's heard about that album ... got some buzz on others forums and lots of posters said it's a very solid album

wcsoldier

Re: Blu and Exile - Below The Heavens
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 05:23:15 AM »
Review from Hiphopsite.com

Let's face it - hip-hop has become stale as of late. We haven't seen a classic debut from a new artist in who knows how long, or for that matter, even a really strong first offering. The major label market doesn't know how to make a solid album (and are now paying for it), while the indie market is shrinking thanks to illegal downloads, not letting new artists get the chance to even be heard. But with nobody coming to the table with anything interesting as of late, what's the point?

Enter Blu and Exile's Below The Heavens. At the time of recording this LP, Blu was a 22 year old aspiring emcee from Los Angeles; one unaffected by the pressures of the major labels to make gangsta rap or pop hits. His partner, Exile, is one-half of the criminally slept on duo Emanon (who at this point really should consider changing their name to "Aloe Blacc & Exile"). Here, the world is introduced to Blu with an honest, autobiographical LP, produced by Exile with a classic hip-hop sound.

The album begins with "My World Is....", which might sound familiar, thanks to Exile's re-freaking of The Dells sample last used by Smut Peddlers & Alchemist. A wise move however, as the familiarity of the beat (now applied to Blu's namesake) instantly grabs the listener, while Blu introduces himself and shows off his natural skill. He follows up with his little heard debut single, "The Narrow Path", which finds him vividly describing the infamous struggle over rolling funk drums and chopped psychadelica. Here, is the first evidence that Blu actually knows how to make songs (not just dope rhymes), as he provides one of the album's many sung hooks.

This talent extends itself throughout virtually the entire LP, as Blu finds brilliant chemistry with Exile's production. Case in point is "Dancin' In The Rain", where Blu channels his pain into a beautifully written song about dealing with the issues of everyday adult life. Again on "In Remembrance", Exile provides one of those heartstring tugging hip-hop beats with feeling, as Blu looks back on his life thus far. "So Amazin" is another bittersweet Exile beat, where Blu describes himself as "a mix of Al Green and 'Pac", with a cut up M.O.P. sample for the hook. As an added bonus, there's a brilliant scratch routine at the end of the song that only the longtime fans of hip-hop will understand and appreciate.

Blu also spends much of the album on the subject of relationships. "Blu Collar Worker" is a humorous rant that finds Blu trying to balance his career and his love life, over Exile's raw, chopped pianos. "First Things First" is a classically structured hip-hop love song, where Blu struggles to find the right words to say to a new lady he just met, while "Greater Love" flawlessly captures an obsession with the girl of his dreams.

Much of the album is taken from an autobiographical perspective, with his straightforward, regular-guy approach to emceeing providing an honest look at his life. With his words flowing naturally off the tongue, Blu's style is much more convincing, not to mention more down-to-earth, than your average flossy emcee. Songs like "Good Life" and "Below The Heavens" are so perfectly executed, thanks to Blu's inspiring rhymes, and Exile's feel-good production that accompany them.

Remarkably consistent, perhaps the only real flaws with this LP are a few songs that don't fit in with the rest of the album. Coincidentally, this happens when guest emcees enter the fold, who simply don't hold a candle next to Blu. "Juice 'n Dranks" is the album's most minimalist track, which features Blu and Ta'raach (together as C.R.A.C. Knucks) trading rhymes over a sparse beat, unfortunately not on par with the album's other tracks. Later on "I Am" (sort of a bonus track at the end of the LP), the same concept is executed, where the first part of the song works, as Blu flawlessly integrates his rhymes with the vocal sample in the beat itself. This works, but things go off on a strange tangent in the song's second half, where the beat changes up and is a freestyled with Exile. For such a personal, autobiographical LP, it really should have been left up to Blu himself - no guest emcees.

Regardless, this is the most minor of complaints for a near perfect LP, created with the same approach that made so many LP's in 1990's hip-hop classics. These days, it's tough to find even five or six songs good enough on an album, so when Blu and Exile come with a strong 15 tracks - give or take - it definitely should not be overlooked. These guys may be virtual unknowns now, but surely are the stars tomorrow.

4 ˝ stars

We Fly High

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 08:39:34 AM »
good album. my next door neighbor from college actually manages him.

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 08:42:56 AM »
i also saw this getting hyped up on other boards
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 10:08:21 AM »
Heard a couple of tracks and they're solid plus the reviews have all been good to great.

I'll probably purchase when I have enough spare $

SP0RTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside para vida
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 08:24:08 PM »
if u havent heard this album you really need to its a really good hip hop album..if u r a fan of murs or even if u arent check this out

5 Albums I'm Bumping Right Now (In Order)
Blu & Exile- Below The Heavens
eMC- The Show
WC- Guily By Affiliation
Westside Connection- Bow Down
Wu Tang Clan- Enter the 36 Chambers

Tha G In Deee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • If it don't make dollaz, it don't make sense.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 09:47:48 PM »
Very dope album, that Soul Amazin' video is dope as hell. Blu can rhyme his ass off & Exile is dope on the beats. 8)

SP0RTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside para vida
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 11:18:03 PM »
Very dope album, that Soul Amazin' video is dope as hell. Blu can rhyme his ass off & Exile is dope on the beats. 8)
yep i think my favorite song is the narrow path

eMC- The Show
WC- Guily By Affiliation

We Fly High

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 11:30:20 PM »
best west coast release of 2007 thus far.

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 11:41:56 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I also heard so much praise being given to this album on many forums so I had to go out and cop it

Its a very laidback soulful album. Blu absolutely murders this album lyrically and exile provides the perfect background with his beats
I say this album will be considered a classic in time

We Fly High

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 12:15:24 AM »
I also heard so much praise being given to this album on many forums so I had to go out and cop it

Its a very laidback soulful album. Blu absolutely murders this album lyrically and exile provides the perfect background with his beats

it will be classic, guaranteed. aint no other west coast mc breakin it down like him.

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 04:04:21 PM »
best west coast release of 2007 thus far.
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

We Fly High

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 04:09:57 PM »
i almost have to say that its like top 5 for the west coast since The Chronic 2001. its that damn good.

everlast1986

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 04:24:59 PM »
Hmm, I can't say i've heard of it. Can someone up a couple of tracks or one for me to hear?

SP0RTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside para vida
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 04:34:42 PM »

it will be classic, guaranteed. aint no other west coast mc breakin it down like him.

eMC- The Show
WC- Guily By Affiliation