Author Topic: My phone > iPhone (Now: My phone = iPhone)  (Read 65942 times)

RAIDErs of the lost ark

Re: My phone > iPhone
« Reply #315 on: December 22, 2007, 04:02:04 PM »
News

MetroPCS offers Samsung R410 QWERTY-handset
http://www.mobile-review.com/fullnews/main/index_eng.shtml

The American operator MetroPCS has launched Samsung R410 mobile phone. The company’s site has posted some info about it. This is a side slider with two keyboards: a numeric and a QWERTY. The latter is highly appropriate for SMS-messaging. Taking into account the rest features we have a simple phone – a VGA camera and Bluetooth support. Samsung R410 is listed for $199 and available in Red and Black colors.

Details on Sony Ericsson Z660i clamshell

We’ve recently mentioned that Sony Ericsson is rumored to prepare an ultra slim clamshell Z660i. In addition the source shared a possible design. Now we have more details about the new product. Firstly, the “live” picture is very like the image. Secondly, Sony Ericsson Z660i is based on A200 platform, supports 3G networks (HSDPA included), a 2-megapixel camera and an FM-radio. These are preliminary details, the company hasn’t yet made an official confirmation.

Motorola Z12 handset with Kodak 5-megapixel camera

The Chinese-language IT168 has posted a picture of a new Motorola’s mobile phone with a 5-megapixel camera by Kodak. According to the source, this is a slider called X PIXL Z12. The new model has been already mentioned as a part of Motorola 2008 roadmap. The company has really reamed up with Kodak to add a 5-megapixel camera with xenon flash. We don’t know for sure whether the photo was true or it was just a presentation based image. At least, we have a slight imagination of Motorola Z12 phone.

SKY IM-S300 romantic handset

Pantech has introduced its Romantic Wave Slim Phone (SKY IM-S300) in Korea. Its design features smooth curve lines. The device is packed in a slider form-factor with the numeric keyboard, equipped with a 2.2” display, a 1.3-megapixel camera, an integrated MP3-player and e-dictionary. SKY IM-S300 is already available in Korea at 400000 Won (about €297).

Early live pics of Nokia N96 smartphone

At our English-language forum you can see live pics of a new Nokia smartphone marked N96. It looks like Nokia N81, though the form is close to Nokia N95: the numeric keyboard sliding from the bottom and the panel sliding from the top (it is empty on the photo, so we don’t know its destination, probably it carries sensor media player buttons). Taking into account the pictures, Nokia N96 is powered by S60 3rd Edition FP2 (Symbian OS 9.5), the platform hasn’t been announced yet. The rear panel hides a 5-megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss lens and dual LED flash. The source hasn’t provided more details about the specs or the release date.

mobile phone offers nes emulation, mystery windows key
http://technabob.com/blog/2007/12/19/mobile-phone-offers-nes-emulation-mystery-windows-key/

Here’s a suspicious looking mobile phone from China that manages to infringe on at least a couple of prominent brands in one feature-packed device.

When opened up, the ZTC 8898 mobile not only looks mimics of the looks of HTC’s QWERTY phones, it claims to “simulate” 8-bit NES games too. If that’s not enough potential copyright violation, there’s mysterious Windows and Internet Explorer logos on the keyboard.

The jam-packed GSM/GPRS phone has two color LCD displays (and at least the one on the outside has a touchscreen), bluetooth connectivity and has dual SIM card slots too. In addition it offers audio and video media players, e-mail and internet connectivity. In keeping with the kitchen sink feature list, there’s also a 1.3 megapixel camera and six pint-sized speakers built in.

If you’re willing to take a gamble, the whole package is available from DealExtreme for $189 USD.

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Kane Beatz Movement - The Building Records
« Reply #316 on: December 22, 2007, 08:47:51 PM »
LOL @ wap browser. when was the last time you used a cell phone?

So lets go ahead and open opera and check my myspace.

keep trying buddy..  8)

have you had any problems with your iphone yet?? i'm waiting to get mine back after sending it back to HK for repairs...the touch screen fucked up outta nowhere...other iphone users have the same problem..just wondering if yours is working...

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside!
« Reply #317 on: December 22, 2007, 10:44:04 PM »
^ I've had my iPhone from day one, just like E.J. Rizo... absolutely no problems.  Best phone I've ever owned.  Hope the repair works out for you.

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #318 on: December 23, 2007, 10:54:11 AM »
Analyst: Apple iPhone screen problems may get worse - the dreaded "dead strip"
http://www.intomobile.com/2007/08/10/analyst-apple-iphone-screen-problems-may-get-worse-the-dreaded-dead-strip.html

Just when we thought it couldn’t get worse (seriously, we thought it would stay an isolated and rare defect), Nomura International analyst, Richard Windsor released a note to clients indicating that the iPhone’s “dead strip” display problem could become more widespread.

Apple bought the rights to the screen technology used in the iPhone from a Finnish firm. Finnish firm reported that usage led to the same unresponsive display problems after some time. Apparently, 3 to 6 months of “extensive use” would start to degrade the technology and cause a lose of sensitivity to touch-inputs. This suggests that the relatively new iPhone fleet in the US could start to exhibit similar problems with time.

With technologies as advanced as multi-touch, and production volumes as large as they are, hardware faults could very reasonably start to crop up.

We’ll keep a close eye on this problem for you guys, but should you find yourself facing the dreaded “dead strip,” drop us a line and let us know. Seriously, we’d appreciate it.

Update
The iPhone does not use heat chemical deposition technology, nor does it detect inputs based on heat.

[Via: The Inquirer]

Coming in 2008: iPhone battery rot?
http://scobleizer.com/2007/12/14/coming-in-2008-iphone-battery-rot/

Just picked up Patrick and turns out his iPhone is only lasting a few hours now in standby mode without doing anything on it!

So, it’s going into the shop tomorrow. Damn, we sure have a lot of problems with Apple stuff. On the other hand, Dave Winer’s Mac just died and he thinks that only means one thing: a new Mac is coming soon. Well we already KNOW a new iPhone is coming soon, so maybe Dave has a point? Me? Now I know why I keep my Nokia around.

Anyone else having problems with iPhone battery life?

29 Comments »

Nope. Mine is doing great. Bought it the first day it came out and have been using it like nuts.

Comment by Frank Gilroy — December 14, 2007 @ 8:17 pm

I love my Nokia N82! Using it to take pictures, movies and live blog is great, but the best part is I can carry 3 or so batteries in my pocket and not have to worry about being in a situation where I’m without connectivity.

Comment by Stefan Constantinescu — December 14, 2007 @ 8:26 pm

[…] Robert Scoble’s kid Patrick has an iPhone that isn’t lasting as long as it was on day one, something that batteries always seem to do. Mobile phones with multimedia capabilities inside tend to wear out batteries quite rapidly. I’ve had my N95 since August and I’m already up to my second battery. What will happen when people who own the iPhone can’t make it through the day? Will 2008 be the year that a huge wave of consumers sue Apple for their faulty batteries like they did back in 2005? […]

Pingback by 2008: Year of the Apple iPhone battery rot — December 14, 2007 @ 8:47 pm

No problems here. I’ve noticed that with the 1.1.2 firmware, the wifi finder is a bit active and tends to run things down a bit quickly. Aside from that, seems fine - got it launch day.

Comment by Brian Lewis — December 14, 2007 @ 9:02 pm

– we sure have a lot of problems with Apple stuff –
Yep, between the two of you, you’ve had more trouble than any 100 Mac/Apple owners I’ve ever known. You don’t live in the same area so it’s probably not the water but it has to be something.

Comment by PXLated — December 14, 2007 @ 9:04 pm

No problems here. With average use (about 1 hour a day email/web/phone & 30 minutes or more music playing), I only plug in my iPhone every two days or so and it still has nearly 1/2 charge.

Comment by Mike Cohen — December 14, 2007 @ 9:49 pm

…and it’s reasons like this why I don’t have a iPhone and have not considered another Mac. In fact, I just bought a (heavily discounted thanks to Black Friday specials) PC based laptop.

-A

Comment by Adam — December 14, 2007 @ 10:15 pm

Yes. The same issue here, but even less. I am done with it, sadly. Given that I am in the presence of other sufferers, I feel compelled to gripe that of the last 3 Apple purchases I made - all three failed. Two laptops and now this. Failed in the sense of expectations.

As a long time developer, primarily on the Win platform (primarily web based apps), I wanted to make the move to Apple. I wanted to do so in order to not only enjoy a different, sexy OS, but also to more easily test, and frankly to enjoy a different feel. While I had used Apples, I had not purchased one since pre-Win 95.

But as stated in the Godfather - every time I try to get out, they pull me back in. The first laptop (this past summer) had heating issues. I then got the new Santa Rosa MacBook Pro and not only did it have heat issues, but the vid card was bad.

It should not be so hard to leave the non-Apple systems. It is not even about dumping Windows, since Bootcamp gets rid of that. Sigh. Three strikes and you are out perhaps, but damnit, I find myself wanting to try again because it seems as though I am missing out (and practically speaking - I want to be exposed to the platform and testing).

But I am not going to keep burning myself literally and otherwise, because as they say, when you continuously repeat the same act over and over again as though the results are going to be different and they are not…

Comment by benb — December 14, 2007 @ 10:26 pm

Dave Winer posts about problems with Apple. Scoble posts about problems with Apple. Must be a few weeks since the last lot of “Apple, oh Apple, woe is me. Thee has let me down for the last time” posts.

Comment by Diego — December 14, 2007 @ 10:38 pm

Say it with me: The singular form of data is not anecdote.

That was a real link-baiting headline, Robert. I expected better of you :-)

Comment by Tim — December 14, 2007 @ 10:40 pm

Yep, I’m having the same problem too. At the moment my phone seems to last a day with quite low usage. I suppose I’ll have to take mine into Apple as well.

If only they had user-replaceable batteries. :(

Comment by Sina — December 14, 2007 @ 11:14 pm

Call Apple. Since the iPhone is less then a year old, I am sure it is eligible for a free battery replacement.

Comment by Chris — December 15, 2007 @ 6:17 am

If only they had user-replaceable batteries — and then you’d be bitching about how thick the iPhone is.

Scoble, you and I must represent the ying and yang of Apple ownership. In 10 years: 4 notebooks and 2 desktops, 4 iPods, 2 airport base stations, and one iPhone I have used Apple’s warranty zero times. I have experienced no dead pixels, no death on delivery, no failed keyboards. Nothing - every piece of equipment is either still functioning in my possession or working when I sold it. (And in that litany of ownership, those aren’t all mine, they are the family’s, I’m not replacing iPods and computers every year - personally, it is more like every 30 - 36 months.)

Comment by david — December 15, 2007 @ 7:51 am

To all the suckers who clicked, to all the Apple haters here to get their daily dose, to all the commenting Microsoft BlackPR A holes, and to Robert (who is now a little richer), have a merry Christmas and happy new year-from Zato.

Comment by zato — December 15, 2007 @ 8:40 am

brand new iPhone is in standby mode (not sim unlocked for my network yet) and hsa WiFi off, over night loses half its charge. SUCK MY APPLES!

Comment by btard — December 15, 2007 @ 8:52 am

My iphone battery is working fine. Haven’t missed a call yet. Can’t say that about my previous phone.

Hey on another note- what ever happened to that Surface crap that MS was going to launch supposedly this year??? That should have been voted the worst vapor-ware of 2007!

Comment by lrd — December 15, 2007 @ 9:50 am

1 iPhone, 2 MBP’s, 3 iMac’s, and a Mac Pro along with a display over the last two years between home and office purchases. No problems to date. My 3rd gen iPod kept having hard drive problems but Apple kept replacing. I don’t keep the wifi on for the iPhone very much as our office wifi is a pain to attach to. I do keep the Bluetooth on all the time. Battery life is very good for me.

I think your problem is user error ;-)

Comment by Sam — December 15, 2007 @ 10:45 am

My iPhone’s battery is doing fine — I use it very heavily, but it is yet to run out on me before the overnight charge.

I have a feeling that a lot of the people having battery problems have jailbroken phones running badly designed apps. Certainly true in the case of one of my colleagues. (Like #15’s post — no doubt his iPhone keeps trying to connect to a GSM/Edge network all night long thus his battery runs down.) It’s amazing how people don’t put two and two together.

Comment by Ted T. — December 15, 2007 @ 2:23 pm

OK this could indeed be a problem but let me add that so is the battery in the last two LG phones I’ve owned in the past couple of years. Oh yes, there’s also the failure of my Vaio Laptop battery that gives me about 25 min instead of 4 hours. If it is a problem Apple should have done what the other gadget manufacturers do - make sure no one notices until the warranty is up in a year. :-)

Comment by courtney benson — December 15, 2007 @ 3:17 pm

I know 2 people with iPhones, one doesn’t have a problem with it, only because she uses it only for phone calls. As for my mum, her battery doesn’t last beyond a 16-hour day, but she takes a lot of pictures.

Comment by Prolific Programmer — December 15, 2007 @ 4:45 pm

This may not be what’s causing Patrick’s problems, but one issue that’s arisen with a couple of iPhones in my circle of friends has had to do with wifi. Our iPhones burned through the battery every day if we left wifi turned on, especially in Mountain View where there is a relatively week and constant Google municipal wifi signal. Turning wifi off eliminated the problem entirely.

Just a felt sense, but it seems that our phones used up a lot of energy negotiating connections with weak/transient wifi signals. When used in the presence of a strong wifi connection, wifi doesn’t affect battery life noticeably.

Comment by Eric Miraglia — December 15, 2007 @ 11:28 pm

Bought my iPhone release day, use it every day to listen to podcasts on the bus on the way to work and on the way back (hour each way). Use it to surf ad email all that time. Use it as my phone, plug it in each night. I am not seeing any reduction in battery life I have noticed if I accidentally have a javascript heavy page that does quirky stuff and I leave it open and return to the main menu (not quitting the browser by holding down the home button nor closing the page), the battery will run down quicker.

Comment by Eytan — December 16, 2007 @ 3:01 am

Same here. Battery is more than half empty in the morning, fully charged when going to bed. But I suspect it could have something to do with 3rd party apps, such as the Last.fm client Mobile Scrobbler that’s running in the background. And leaving SSH on seems to be eating away the battery life as well. So, I’m trying to single out the issue that’s really causing the battery drain.

Comment by Jaap — December 16, 2007 @ 4:59 am

No problems here in the Uk - mine seems fine, but battery life is one of the things I have listed as a needed improvement.

Comment by Jon Moss — December 16, 2007 @ 5:09 am

Third party apps are obviously going to affect it - not because of any lack of skill on the part of the developer because they’re working new technology which is as yet undocumented. I noticed my battery was draining about 30% overnight so I turned off the email checking automatically every 15 minutes. Funnily enough it stopped me being woken by the device at 2 am because someone wanted to sell me cheap whatevers! Bonus!

The lack of “sleep” has to be major too. iPhone is always awake.

Comment by mj — December 16, 2007 @ 5:11 am

Robert,

Do you know if Patrick has tried re-calibrating his iPhone’s battery (i.e. full charge followed by a full discharge)? I think it will help.

Comment by Siamak — December 16, 2007 @ 7:49 am

I’d like to know how many of those phones are jailbreaks. 3rd party apps can cause bad things to happen. Yea, that’s what I thought.
Don’t blame Apple for poorly designed SW.

Comment by Bizarro Ballmer — December 16, 2007 @ 1:46 pm

My partner and I have had our iPhones since the Friday after the release day. Neither of us is having battery problems. I charge mine most nights, but I do a lot of edge surfing and typically 1-2 hours of iPod listening every day, along with the occasional phone call and playing games like iSolitaire. My partner charges his phone every 3 or 4 nights but does relatively little with his during the day.

We both leave the wifi and bluetooth off except when we’re actually using them. I found that the worst offender on battery life was allowing the iPhone to tell me when it had found new hotspots so I almost never use that feature…again, unless I need it.

We both follow rechargable best practices and try to do a full-drain-and-charge roughly once a month. The biggest problem I have is actually waiting for my phone to shut down when the battery dies; I usually let it play some video while the wifi is turned on to help it along.

Comment by jburka — December 18, 2007 @ 8:37 am

Mine (which I bought this summer) was doing ok, but today both of my chargers are ceasing to work. The “battery charging” symbol turns on but then it changes to the “plug” symbol and no charge — neither with the computer cable nor with the wall charger.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

Argh!

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #319 on: December 25, 2007, 08:26:34 AM »
iPhone and iPod Playstation Emulator Released

http://www.mobilewhack.com/iphone-and-ipod-playstation-emulator-released/
Earlier this December, we reported that the unofficial Playstation emulator for the Apple iPhone and iPod, psx4iPhone,
would soon be released. Looks like the waiting time's over, folks,
because version 0.1.0 of said emulator's been released yesterday, December 22.
Make sure to drop by the
developer's web site
http://zodttd.com/wp/
for more information.

psx4iPhone In Action
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lp5U4N_tJ9g&amp;rel" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lp5U4N_tJ9g&amp;rel</a>

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Kane Beatz Movement - The Building Records
« Reply #320 on: December 25, 2007, 09:04:13 PM »
^ I've had my iPhone from day one, just like E.J. Rizo... absolutely no problems.  Best phone I've ever owned.  Hope the repair works out for you.

thx, same here :-\

Monotone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #321 on: December 27, 2007, 01:32:09 PM »
i just saw a drop in the e-ten m700 to 330. was thinking about buying but i noticed in a video review its only 2g internet

why are qwerty slide out phones so damn expensive

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #322 on: December 29, 2007, 06:43:52 PM »
^^^^
I can only assume,but I believe most qwerty phones is marketed and made for the business market. In other words,less units is produced,so each model cost more to produce.

Monotone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #323 on: December 30, 2007, 03:46:34 AM »
is there a big difference between 2 and 3g?

my current phone is still wap lol

i dont want to spend 300 if an important feature is outdated. but i dont have many options at that price

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #324 on: December 30, 2007, 05:02:05 AM »
is there a big difference between 2 & 3g?
I dont want to spend 300 if an important feature is outdated

is there a big difference yes & no.
If you're going to download big files like music and shit,yes.
If you're only going to surf the net WITHOUT IMAGES,only text (turn OFF images),then,no.
(Same with e-mail). I believe the phone got edge (2,5) right?

Monotone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #325 on: December 30, 2007, 05:41:54 AM »
yea i think thats right. what is edge 2.5 exactly?

i wouldnt need images really. maybe the occasional time but mainly need internet for email, myspace, aim and browsing forums which wouldnt need images on

for downloading mp3 and streaming video id use the wi-fi

though how good would youtube work on 2g?

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #326 on: December 30, 2007, 06:05:30 PM »
EDGE;
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/enhanced_data_rates_for_gsm_evolution
If you get a unlimited data plan,fuck it then you can be on youtube 24/7,if not I wouldn't recomend it. Just turn on images when you need it,saves you time and money (if you don't have a unlimited data plan).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 06:09:27 PM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

Monotone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #327 on: December 31, 2007, 02:24:34 AM »
thanks man. vodafone do unlimited access 99c per day only charged days you use it too. only 50mb allowance per day though.im thinking that will cover me browsing the net with images off and im's

then just use wi-fi for everything else

m700 with delivery and 2gb card = 360

not bad will order today

was just worried edge speeds may be too slow but should be fine without images

thanks for the help

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #328 on: December 31, 2007, 03:57:45 AM »
^^^^
you should add a 8GB memory card to your order if can afford it,BUT check first if it supports it.
I got around 1200 tracks on my phone,loving it.
Anyways give us a review when you get it,looking forward to another windows mobile user in here. (Matty use WM too,me and Tony use Symbian...)

Monotone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #329 on: December 31, 2007, 05:48:26 AM »
seems 8gb can be used with patches added, gonna stick with 2gb card for now. Only costs 12.36  ;D

Still plan on keeping my 20gb mp3 player on me at all times so this should do for now. can always upgrade the memory later.

Will definitely let you know how the phone is. my first windows mobile phone so probably wont be too much in detail

on expansys, when i try to check out it asks for credit card details. I want to pay via paypal, it lets me choose paypal express for each item individually but then i will have to pay separate shipping costs for phone and memory

trying to find a way around this