Author Topic: My phone > iPhone (Now: My phone = iPhone)  (Read 66005 times)

RAIDErs of the lost ark

Re: My phone > iPhone
« Reply #420 on: March 04, 2008, 03:13:57 PM »

Japan
News

Japanese gadgets at World Mobile Congress
http://www.mobile-review.com/exhibition/2008-3gsm-ntt-en.shtml

I just love visiting NTT DoCoMo’s booth, Japan’s largest carrier, as every time I leave it I know I found out something new, although realizing that it is mere exotica. There is a popular opinion that the things they are currently using in Japan will make it to other regions in five years or so, if at all. A colleague of mine once said that this booth was of no interest at all, as they had been showing off the same technologies for years with no really fresh additions to the portfolio. But details are what it’s all about, and the things that he saw a couple of years ago have shape-changed, picked up new features and morphed into something totally different. The Japanese mobile phone and services market isn’t that easy to comprehend for a European, that the reason all these prejudiced opinions come along, while in fact this market has a culture that’s not like anything else, as well as different technologies and thus different ways of their application.

As far as Japanese handsets are concerned, I’m used to hearing superlatives lie “the slimmest”, “the biggest”, “the you-name-it” phone. Extremes always draw more attention – that’s the way it has always been. This time around, the carrier’s booth featured “the most water-proof” handset – the F705i, that was literally floating inside a water pool. Another stand showcased the slimmest devices, then a booth with designer solutions taking cues for old calculators and watches.

Unlike us, the Japanese try to get a broader perspective of things , the N705i coming from the amadana-series not only offers a quirky design, menu and leather accents, but also a whole line-up of things for your home, styled in the same vein and employing the very same concepts. In fact the brand itself has been created solely for this purpose. Now image that Nokia starts turning out fridges, microwave ovens only to key your surroundings to some handset’s design. Insanity? No way, it is a philosophy of being in harmony with the environments.

Late in 2008 the carrier will be launching a phone for those who care about their own health – inbuilt sensors will rate your heartbeat, breathing and weight-to-height ratio in less than a minute. It is going to be an interesting solution, although not a mass-market solution; but who knows how it will turn out, maybe it will occupy the top places in sales charts.

Another piece of gadgetry that makes sophisticated things more straightforward is the Raku-Raku series of mid-tier devices with no bells and whistles onboard, and rather focusing on instant communication. That is, the area below the display houses three buttons that can be bound up with phone numbers of your relatives, so that you will always be a touch away from your loved ones. These phones are already past 4th generation, as they popped up immediately after the carrier had introduced its tariff for the whole family, offering very attractive rates.

We all know how complex technologies may get, but sometimes phone makers take shortcuts that are even more sophisticated. How about a phone coming equipped with dot-pattern compatible mail application that allows picking certain images and composing emails or doing something else this way by touching dot-codes printed on compatible books with the handset’s Mobile G-scanner. Plus it can read out all phrases you have just typed. Sound overly odd and unbelievable, but it actually works and does a pretty good job at that. Perhaps, that’s one way for grandmas and grandpas to send emails via their handsets.

This phone for kids boasts enhanced safety features. What does that mean, I hear you ask? It comes with a so-called “protection” alarm – you press the switch and get yourself and everyone around stunned by a 100-decebel alarm. Or you can secretly send a distress message to other phone numbers. The handset boasts scuffs-prone plastic, and it won’t fall apart should your kid drop it, furthermore, its innards are 100% water-proof. It also comes with a remote that triggers an alarm whenever you get 20-30 meters away from the phone. Parents can also take advantage of the kid tracker, which is a self-explanatory feature. You say impossible? No, it is real, but only in the Japanese society due to its cultural traditions and family institution.

You really want to know that the next Sony Ericsson’s Walkman will look like? Then the SO905i should be on top of your priority list, as it comes with a Bravia widescreen and the latest Walkman player inside. And the best thing about it is that this handset can tap into GSM networks hands down.

And lastly, we would like to share with you some ideas on how your handset can come in handy in ways other than calling or messaging. Sure, you can open bottles with it, or… doors. The door lock should come equipped with a wireless sensor, so that you will be able to open it with your bare handset. Moreover, you can setup it in the way that your door will refuse to open without a finger print ID, or specified phone numbers will receive messages with info on who and when opened your door. Fascinating? Yes, but not popular even in Japan – over a couple of years they have signed up around 4000 houses.

The Sony Ericsson joint works in the GSM network  :)

Rant: Why doesn't Sony Ericsson bring their JAP models to the EU and USA?
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/01/rant-why-doesnt-sony-ericsson-bring-their-jap-models-to-the-eu-and-usa.html

The fight for dominating the heart's of mobile phone fanatics is a battle that drives the industry forward faster and faster each and every calendar year. We, the people crazy enough to buy a flagship devive twice a year, sometimes even a few midrange products to match our outfits, are walking advertisements for companies like Sony Ericsson, Nokia, Samsung, LG and Apple. When we sit down and place our devices on a table for all to see we are becoming marketeers. When we browse the internet while commuting or watch videos or make a phone call, we are telling the world a lot about who we are.

Nokia has been the top dog for quite some time with Sony Ericsson climbing fast. The conversations I've had with people in the US lead you to believe that the fight for supremacy is between Apple and Nokia. Talk to people in Europe, the Middle East, some parts of Asia and South America and you begin to realize that Sony Ericsson is Nokia's number 1 competitor, not the west coast fruit.

When I was living in Helsinki there were more Sony Ericsson advertismenets than there were for Nokia; their message was be different from everyone else in town. Each time I visit London I'm flooded with Walkman ads, they understand people want to listen to music, constantly, to rid themselves of their outside enviroment. Spain, granted I went there for 3GSM, was owned by the Korean players Samsung and LG who wanted to attract style consious consumers.

Coming back to Sony Ericsson, they are not an incomponent company, they're quite capable of being number 1 in the mid range and high end market, but it doesn't feel like they're hungry enough to be top dog. Here are some models they sell in Japan, but have yet to release anywhere else in the world:

The SO905iCS has a 5.1 megapixel camera with Xenon flash, 3x optical zoom, face detection and a technology that waits until the person you're trying to capture smiles before actually snapping the picture. It has a 2.7 inch screen that displays 256k colors at 480×864 resolution. It's a bit big at 113 x 50 x 24 mm, but compare that to the Nokia N95 8GB which stands at 99 x 53 x 21 and you're not that much larger than the Finnish flagship.

The SO905i is a video centric device that has that same lovely resolution, but this time at 3 inches and 16 million colors. It's smaller at 110 x 49 x 19.7 mm and it has a 3.2 megapixel camera.

Their are plenty more models here, but I'm coming back to the point that Sony Ericsson is a company who can dominate Nokia in Europe, but they simpily choose not to. Those 2 devices I highlighted came out in November of last year, yet here in Europe (Americans import European phones) we're waiting for the inferior speced C902 and G900 to come out.

Why? Think our wallets aren't deep enough to buy something that will probably be 800+ Euros unlocked? Try me.

http://mobilementalism.com/2007/02/01/fujitsu-waterproof-phone-a-bath-and-near-naked-smiley-girl/
What do you when you've spent three years developing a new waterproof phone
and want to show it off to the world with maximum publicity?
Simple: throw it in the bath along with a scantily clad model, and watch the blogosphere light up!
We at MobileMentalism would of course nevre be party to such cynical marketing!
Oh yeh, the phone. It's a Fujitsu FOMA F703i. It works under water. Er....!  :o :o

They sure got some dope phone´s in Japan ^^^^^

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 08:08:15 AM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #421 on: March 05, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »
Apple is releasing info on the Software Developers Kit tomorrow... so in other words we should start seeing Native apps without having to jailbreak or hack your phone... pretty much opening up the flood gates... hopefully it is good stuff!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 08:11:20 AM by E. J. Rizo »

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #422 on: March 05, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »
News

Spb Mobile Shell 2.0 released; Windows Mobile users rejoice
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/04/spb-mobile-shell-20-released-windows-mobile-users-rejoice.html

Spb Mobile Shell 2.0 has been released.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/03-04-2008/0004767108&EDATE=
 The new version doesn't just look better (there's a great choice of haptic animation), but is also faster and lower in memory consumption. Aside from the previous version's "classics" like concise "Now Screen," World Time, photo speed deal, launcher, color-based themes and fast/smart contact search — version 2.0 also features full screen dialogs for Weather and Time, animated transitions, navigation with gestures (like HTC's TouchFLO). In addition, the Spb Mobile Shell now packs all functionality in one tabbed window, making the app run much faster.

I could go on and on, but it's the Spb's website http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/mobileshell/?en
where you should get the detailed info. If you own Windows Mobile 5 or 6 powered device, this is the app to have. It costs $29.95 and it's worth every penny!

^^^A "must have" application for Windows Mobile users   ^^^  ;)

New Google search client released for Symbian S60
http://www.mobile-review.com/fullnews/main/2008/February/21_eng

Today, Internet giant Google released a native search client, for Symbian Series 60 handsets. It can be downloaded from Google's mobile site. The search client is then accessible from your phones home screen. It is essential that your phone has the little pencil/edit key, or, the control key, for the software to work. When you type something in the search box, on your home screen, and click enter, your web browser will load up, and the results of your query will be shown.

You get a few different choices when your query has been entered, such as changing your location, or being able to switch to Google's classic view. Google mobile search also has a clever local search feature built-in. So, if you type in say, Nokia Shop, it would find the nearest Nokia shop to you. You can download the new mobile search client here; http://mobile.google.com/

Handy Blacklist 3.0 protects you against unwanted phone calls; Stalkers, telemarketers cry
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/01/handy-blacklist-30-protects-you-against-unwanted-phone-calls-stalkers-telemarketers-cry.html

Epocware just announced yet another useful piece of software as part of their Handy series of applications. The so called Handy Blacklist 3.0 protects Symbian S60 3rd edition mobile phone users privacy by blocking unsolicited callers, saving time on unnecessary responses and offering peace of mind.

The easy-to-use application allows you to add numbers to black list either permanently or for a set period of time. Or you could turn things upside down and just add certain numbers into a white list and reject all other phone calls. The unwanted calls will be recorded and available to view in the application's call log. In addition, you can chose a "reject action" to return a prewritten text message back to the caller…

Interested to make telemarketers and stalkers cry? Handy Blacklist 3.0 will be available from the first week of March for 24,95 EUR via download from Epocware's website.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ^^^I´m going to get this one   ^^^:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Is this Sony Ericsson W990? I want to believe
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/05/is-this-sony-ericsson-w990-i-want-to-believe.html

Even though it's highly unlikely this is the real deal, we do want to believe Sony Ericsson is listening to the market and that they'll eventually release something like this. As you can see, the device runs Windows Mobile and has nothing but a huge touchscreen. The brown color is there to sort of prove this may be the work of the Swedish-Japanese handset maker's designers.

Finally, in case you're wondering, the image above was posted by
"ToShaRa" over at se-nse.
http://www.se-nse.com/

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 shows AT&T graphic at CeBIT
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/06/sony-ericsson-xperia-x1-shows-att-graphic-at-cebit.html

At this year's CeBIT in Germany, Sony Ericsson is showing its latest super-baby XPERIA X1.
What struck us down is the AT&T's logo located at the center of menu.
What could that possibly mean? Is Swedish-Japanese handset maker trying to indirectly pitch the U.S. based carrier through media?
Or the deal is already done and they're just waiting for X1's release?
Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Still, it's worth mentioned that AT&T keeps adding
various Sony Ericsson devices to its offering and somehow we wouldn't be surprised to see them
carrying one of the coolest Windows Mobile smartphones ever built as well.
I'm sure many AT&T users would love that, wouldn't ya?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 04:31:06 PM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #423 on: March 07, 2008, 07:00:50 PM »
More Apple and iPhone news

Apple is releasing info on the Software Developers Kit tomorrow...
so in other words we should start seeing Native apps without having to jailbreak or hack your phone...
pretty much opening up the flood gates... hopefully it is good stuff!

It´s about time if you ask me  ;)
Post links to apps in here,I got a gang of friends that got iphone and would appriciate it.
I´m sure there´s a lot of dubCC members that ain´t active in this thread that pick up a thing or two from "us"...
that has either a iphone,windows mobile or a symbian phone.

Steve Jobs: Lots of iPhone applications this summer; Flash not going to hit iPhone
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/05/steve-jobs-lots-of-iphone-applications-this-summer-flash-not-going-to-hit-iphone.html

Just a day ahead of the much-awaited iPhone Software Roadmap press event, Steve Jobs sat down with with Apple shareholders to talk shop. And, in traditional Jobsian form, Stevie avoided talking about the upcoming release of the official Apple iPhone SDK. The only bit of iPhone SDK info he let slip was that there will be "a lot of apps out there this summer."

Now, it's not clear if Steve's statement means that Apple will be releasing the iPhone SDK post-haste and expects developers to crunch out those "apps" right-quick, or if the iPhone SDK isn't slated to be released until Summer. We're crossing out fingers for the former. It would be a shame to have to wait a few more months for even a beta version of the iPhone SDK.

And, when probed regarding the iPhone's potential support for Adobe's Flash format, Steve Jobs basically shot down our hopes of embedded video-viewing glory on the iPhone. Apparently, Jobs isn't going to let the scaled-down, cellphone-version of Flash, dubbed Flash-lite, mar the iPhone's "full web-experience." Apple doesn't want to bring anything less than real Flash to the iPhone, but the problem is that the full-fledged version runs too slowly on the iPhone. So, we're not going to see Flash on the iPhone anytime soon.

Either way, we're excited to see what Apple has in store for us tommorow.

More on the 3G iPhone - 2Q 2008?
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/05/more-on-the-3g-iphone-2q-2008.html

The 3G iPhone's launch is imminent, it's just a matter of how long we'll have to wait.
Popular opinion and insider reports are pointing towards a mid-2008 release,
and the newest bit from Citigroup analyst Richard Gardner hints at a similar or earlier release.

After visiting Taiwanese electronics companies in, well, Taiwan, Gardner claims that "sources"
have indicated that the second-generation 3G iPhone is on track for a 2Q 2008 release.
The revised launch window means that we could have a 3G iPhone in hand sometime between April and June of this year.

If true, the release of the 3G iPhone in a few months would outpace AT&T's plans to expand its 3G network to 350 new markets in the US. Still, we have no problem dealing with a bit of spotty 3G coverage in return for an early crack at the next-generation iPhone
(3G coverage in Los Angeles is fairly good anyway).

[Via: MacRumors]

Is this a glimpse of the next-generation 3G iPhone design?
http://www.intomobile.com/

Well, given Apple (really, Steve Jobs's) penchant for tight-lipped secrecy about upcoming products (how many times have we heard that "Apple does not comment on unannounced products?"), it seems unlikely that they let an image of the next-generation 3G iPhone leak out. The image you see to the left is a curious discovery made by iLounge while browsing through the Education First Educational Tours page.

The picture was leaked on iTunes, of all places, and was spotted as iPhone developers were looking into creating pages in iTunes to deliver content to iPhone and iPod Touch users.

Now, it's nice to think that Apple let this pic slip past their censors, but it's hard to imagine that a leak of this magnitude happened on Apple own iTunes-turf. Still, it's sure would be nice to see the next-gen 3G iPhone sport a huge display that dominates the design - even more so than the current iPhone.

We'll have to wait and see.

[Via: iLounge]

The million dollar question: Will Apple license Mac OS X mobile and let others make an iPhone?
http://www.intomobile.com/

Why does Apple have less than 3% market share? They refuse to license the "most advanced operating system" to other vendors. Their ecosystem is profitable, but that is because they enjoy a monopoly whereby they can charge whatever they want for hardware since you need their machines to run their software.

I was close, really close, to actually being excited about the iPhone after yesterdays SDK announcement, but then it hit me like a ton of bricks: Apple makes only one phone.

Why does Nokia have 40% market share? They released over 30 models last year, each tailored for a specific type of customer, most running an operating system, whether it be S40 or S60, that can be expanded with third party software. Does Apple really think that their one size fits all device will get today's mobile developers to jump ship?

Yes I know what Fake Steve Jobs said, and Michael Mace couldn't be more right in his analysis that the iPhone model of software distribution is the best the mobile ecosystem has seen, but volume trumps quality in today's economies of scale. The million dollar question, will Apple let other people create an iPhone based on Mac OS X Mobile?

Granted I would like nothing more than to see June roll around and Apple expand the iPhone lineup similar to what they've done with the iPod family, but that brings about new questions such as how exactly will Apple handle different specifications among products if they do indeed choose to deviate from the multitouch 480×320 display?

Some people really want a keypad, some people want the best multimedia capabilities which includes a high megapixel count and video recording, some people want that basic barebone device aka iPhone 1.0, will Apple let others step to the plate or will they control their ecosystem and sit happily with their single digit marketshare?

I can already tell the answer is to keep the crown jewel within the company, but I want to know why? If Apple wanted to change things, really shake things up, they would at least attempt to put their "most advanced operating system in the world" out on more devices than their handful of laptops, desktops and music players.

One more thing … The SDK runs on a Mac and only on a Mac, will development houses want to equip their employees with new machines that can only be serviced by one company? Apple changes things, they're bold and some may say they're leaders of the industry, to that I say when they take a big step everyone else makes a big step, but just that tiny bit extra to be better.

Nothing is going to stop Nokia or Microsoft to make an App Store and build it into their 2009 models. Nothing is going to stop Nokia or Microsoft from making a UI that is on par with the iPhone today. What is stopping Apple from licensing their software?

^^^ What you say EJ.Rizo? ^^^^

A few minor changes in store for iPhone v2.0
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/08/a-few-minor-changes-in-store-for-iphone-v20.html

It's not like there isn't already enough to get excited about with the next revision of the iPhone firmware. We've got the iPhone SDK going final, enterprise support (Microsoft Exchange), and the Apple AppStore to look forward to. What more could Apple possibly have in store for us?

Well, Doc over at Macenstein put his freakishly sharp eyes to work and spotted a couple minor changes to the iPhone UI. Pictures from the iPhone Software Roadmap indicate that Apple will be going "square" on the iPhone's calculator. The iPhone Calculator currently rocks round buttons, with the "equals" button in orange. But, if the image that Apple presented a couple days ago is any indication, Apple will be revising the iPhone Calculator buttons to a square shape. Don't Apple designers have better things to do than tweak the iPhone Caculator's buttons?

There seems to also be a likewise minor change to the iPhone's iTunes Store icon. What we see is an iTunes Store icon with a musical note graphic, as opposed to the current "download arrow" graphic. I agree with Doc when he says that the new iTunes Store icon may be a misguided move. The iTunes Store represents Music, TV shows, and movies - not just music. A "download arrow" is better suited to the iTunes Store's function than a musical note.

And, the iPhones homescreen dock could be getting a minor refresh. It's hard to tell from the fuzzy screen-capture, but the iPhone v2.0 could end up sporting a homescreen dock adorned with lines, rather than the mesh/perforated aluminum look that it currently sports.

Like I said, the changes to the UI seem to be minor at this point. We also have the AppStore icon to look forward to, but other than that, we'll just have to wait until we get more info on the iPhone v2.0's changelog.

Of course, nothing beats having access to all those promising iPhone developers' applications right on the iPhone. That and some wireless GPS love with locoGPS - at least until Apple decides to integrate GPS into the iPhone.

I'm counting down the minutes to June. Now, how many minutes does that come out to?

[Via: Macenstein]

Sun prepping Java for iPhone: your craplet investment is safe
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/08/sun-prepping-java-for-iphone-your-craplet-investment-is-safe/

We're sure there have been some really great Java Micro Edition apps developed over the years, we just haven't been fortunate enough to find any that aren't a Bejeweled variant run into many of them. But that could very well change with the news that Sun is using that fancy new SDK to develop a Java Virtual Machine for the iPhone, which it expects to have ready "some time after June," and which will allow iPhone users access to the vast libraries of existing JME apps. We suppose the real conundrum now is which Java ME app we'll grab first: Harry Potter, or MapQuest Mobile. These choices, they overwhelm us.

[Via Mac Rumors]

^^^^Nice! ^^^^

Yes,More iPhone news

Make iPhone web-apps with iPhone SDK
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/10/make-iphone-web-apps-with-iphone-sdk.html

That's right. Now anyone can code a web-app for the iPhone. The new iPhone SDK includes a new version of Dashcode that makes it easy develop web-apps for the iPhone.

The interface includes preset styles that we've all come to associate with the iPhone. You can start off with  the default browsing screen template (you know, the menu style that slides to reveal the next menu-level) or code your own. iPhone development noobs will be happy to hear that they can take the "slider template" and add-on forward/back buttons, gauges, indicators, form elements, and more - with little knowledge for code.

With the new Dashcode, I think there are going to be an overabundance of iPhone web-apps hitting the web. Most will suck, but the thing about a massive developer-nurturing environment is that we will inevitably see some amateur come up with a really useful web-app. Bring it on!

Oh, and go download the iPhone SDK if you want to dabble in web-app development.

[Via: iPhone Atlas]

iPhone SDK: iPhone emulator uses iPhone OS v1.2 firmware (codenamed Aspen); to be released?
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/10/iphone-sdk-iphone-emulator-uses-iphone-os-v12-firmware-codenamed-aspen-too-be-released.html

The iPhone SDK includes an iPhone emulator that makes it easy for iPhone developers to test their code without having to risk corrupting a real-life iPhone. But, while the rest of us mortals will have to be satisfied with the current iPhone v1.1.4 firmware, the iPhone emulator gets to play with a newer, unreleased version of the iPhone firmware.

A quick look at the iPhone emulator's "Settings" pane will show that iPhone v1.2 (5A147p) is running the show. iPhone v1.2 is codenamed "Aspen" and is consistent with previous iPhone OS codenames - v1.1.1 was "SnowBird," v1.1.2 was "Oktoberfest," and v1.1.3 was "LittleBear."

Now, we know that Apple is shooting for a June launch of the iPhone v2.0 firmare that will play nice with the iPhone SDK and applications borne from its development. Will Apple use the intervening months to release the iPhone v1.2 firmware in place of, or renamed as, the iPhone v1.1.5 firmware? The iPhone v1.2 (Aspen) firmware is presumably ready to go since it's already being used in the emulator, but will Apple see fit to release Aspen in the next month or so? The move would certainly make sense, given Apple's timing in releasing iPhone firmware updates, so we'll just have to wait and see if Apple's iPhone v1.2 Aspen firmware makes it to see the light of day.

Not so minor changes coming to next iPhone v2.0
- Bonjour, full-screen browsing, vector graphics, locally stored web-apps, PowerPoint, mass email delete, and possibly search

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/10/not-so-minor-changes-coming-to-next-iphone-v20-bonjour-full-screen-browsing-vector-graphics-locally-stored-web-apps-powerpoint-mass-email-delete-and-possibly-search.html

ell that sure was a mouthful. Sure, there are those minor changes to the iPhone UI that may or may not materialize, but there are also some serious changes in store for the iPhone v2.0.

The iPhone SDK, freely downloadable from Apple, is proving to be an invaluable source of upcoming iPhone features. Remember, the iPhone is revolutionary in the way the OS can be updated and features can be added with a simple firmware update through iTunes. iPhone owners don't have to endure the lagging development cycles for OS developers to deliver OS updates - new updates mean new features, and with the iPhone, we get new features on a regular basis.

So, what can we expect from Apple's iPhone v2.0 firmware due out in June (the same firmware that will work with iPhone SDK applications)?

Keep reading to find out…

Mass Email Delete

I don't know how long I've been wanting a mass delete feature for the iPhone's mail client, but it seems that my nightly prayers have not fallen on deaf ears. The Apple gods will be allowing mass email deletion with the iPhone v2.0. I don't really get spam in my business email accounts, so mass deletion is not really a problem there. My personal email accounts are an entirely different story. My Gmail inbox is full of ads for mortgages and Viagra - and with push email with Yahoo! Mail for iPhone, I get solicitations to enlarge my penis pushed directly to my iPhone. Talk about annoying.

It's not clear how this will work, but rest assured, in a matter of months, batch deleting all those spammy emails will be no harder than selecting them and hitting the delete button.

Bonjour

Mac users will understand the awesomeness of Bonjour and what it means for the iPhone. Sure, connecting to a WiFi network is a trivial exercise, but what about connecting to other computers or iPhones on any network (networking in Windows is "fun" to say the least)? Well, Bonjour makes it easy to network devices on a given network. It's as simple as viewing connected devices and then connecting to them.

Bonjour has been lying dormant in previous iPhone firmwares, and it seems that Bonjour support is coming in June. The iPhone SDK includes Bonjour in the foundation, core foundation and base system components.

Full-Screen Mode on Safari

With the new iPhone SDK, iPhone developers will be able to use a full-screen mode to display webpages/web-apps. In full-screen mode, the web-page/web-app will be displayed without the Safari address bar at the top of the screen or the navigation/bookmark bar at the bottom of the screen. All it will take, apparently, is the addition of a meta tag in the web-app/web-page code. Web-apps with the meta tag will be launched directly in full-screen mode.

Every pixel is a precious piece of real-estate on a mobile phone's display. And even with the huge screen on the iPhone, it doesn't hurt to have an extra few lines of usable browser-space.

Scalable Vector Graphics and New CSS Effects

Support for SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) means that images can be highly-compressed, reducing an image file's size. SVG is an image format that can be compressed to tiny proportions while maintaining the original file's resolution. That means iPhones will be able to download SVG images more quickly without sacrificing the image's quality.

The iPhone v2.0 will also support new CSS effects. CSS transforms, transitions, and animations will help take the sting out of the lack of Flash-support. And, some CSS effects will be hardware accelerated to boot!

PowerPoint Support

While making a new PowerPoint presentation might not be in the immediate future for native iPhone features, we're all going to be able to view those PowerPoint presentations. PowerPoint can be viewed through the iPhone's mail client, and should add to the iPhone's enterprise appeal. Microsoft Word and Excel files are already viewable through iPhone Mail, but so the addition of PowerPoint compatibility will truly round out the iPhone's MS Office compatibility.

Locally Stored Web-Apps

Wait, so what's the hub-ub with all these natively installable third-party iPhone applications? With locally stored web-apps, any web-developer can code web-applications for the iPhone! No web connection? No problem, just store your web-apps locally and they're as good as native applications (although slightly limited by AJAX, CSS, HTML, etc.)

The iPhone SDK allows for the creation of web-apps, so it makes sense for the iPhone to include support for offline web-apps. Apple says that the iPhone v2.0 will support client-side database API which will allow “totally functional even with the network disconnected.” Score!

Search

And, last but not least - the iPhone may be getting "Search" functionality. If you search for, uh, "Search on iPhone" you may find that searching for anything on the iPhone just isn't possible. Sure, with auto-completion, you can just start typing a contact to bring up all matching phone numbers or email addresses, but that's only a half-hearted workaround. A search function is needed. Without a true search function on the iPhone, it's hard to find a contact whose name you've forgotten, but happen to remember noting the contact entry as, say, "blonde hottie" or something like that.

Well, it seems that the iPhone v2.0 (or is it iPhone v1.2, or is it iPhone v1.1.5?) could be including a search function. The image you see if from the Apple iPhone Software Roadmap event and shows a little magnifying glass (usually associated with search functions) above the alpha-list. Does this indicate that "Search" will be incorporated int o the iPhone v2.0 firmware? Will we be able to search through our contacts for "blonde hottie" or search our emails for "cheap Viagra?"

Here's to hoping…

Copy and paste on the iPhone!
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/11/copy-and-paste-on-the-iphone.html

Cut and paste is quite possibly the singularly most requested feature on the iPhone. Sure, the iPhone can recognize an phone number in any webpage/text message/email. And calling the number is a simple matter of tapping the phone number and initiating the call. But, what if you want to copy and paste a URL or block of text? Well, for that you need some good ole' cut-n-paste action.

I love to blog from my iPhone. The keyboard and predictive/corrective text feature allows me to type way faster than I've ever been able to with a full-QWERTY keyboard (on a smartphone, of course). The display is big and crisp. Multi-touch makes the endeavor convenient and fun. The problem is, I can't ever embed links to previous articles or even credit the source until I get home - try memorizing a 50+ character URL string, it's hard.

With the help of some handy bookmarklet code, iPhone users can copy text and URLs and then paste into a form or email the text/link to yourself or a friend. iCopy is the best solution to get your iPhone to copy/paste with ease.

Here's how to get iCopy to work on your iPhone:
Drag this link to your Safari browser's bookmark bar. (this will save the bookmarklet to your Safari browser's bookmark file)
Connect your iPhone and let iTunes sync your Safari bookmarks. Make sure to check the "Sync Safari Bookmarks" box. (this will save the iCopy bookmarklet to your iPhone)
Find some web text or URL address that you want to copy.
Bring up your bookmarks and tap "Copy/Paste"
Select "Copy"
Select the "Copy" action you'd like to perform (Copy Text, Copy URL, Email URL, etc.)
Go to the web-form into which you'd like to insert the text or URL that you just copied.
Bring up your bookmarks and tap "Copy/Paste"
You'll be taken to another page for a quick moment, and then you'll be returned to your original page.
Bring up your bookmarks and tap "Copy/Paste" again. You'll see a dialog box indicating that you're ready to paste.
Tap the text box into which you'd like to insert the copied text/URL.

The process is fairly simple, it just looks complex because I wanted to make the installation/use process excruciatingly clear. Overall, the entire process is simply a matter of bringing up the "Copy/Paste" bookmarklet, selecting text to copy, then inserting the text into a text box.

It ain't no Windows Mobile tap-and-hold copy/paste, but it's no harder than tapping a menu to bring up copy/paste functionality.

Check out the demo videos after the break!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fiVbx0HJZT4&amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fiVbx0HJZT4&amp;hl</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-IRu8IiS3eY&amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-IRu8IiS3eY&amp;hl</a>

iPhone firmware 2.0 jailbroken!
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/12/iphone-firmware-20-jailbroken.html

iPhone firmware 2.0 is coming in June and some people are scared thinking they won't be able to use their jailbroken iPhones any more. Luckily the great folks of iPhone Dev Team are there to help us all. They got ahold of the new firmware that ships with the SDK (1.2, which will be released to public as 2.0), has already decrypted the disk image and jailbroken the firmware. Or to put it in other words - iPhone firmware 2.0 is hacked, and even though Apple may additionally tweak it before releasing the official update in June, we've no doubts these guys we'll do their best to allow us to keep using the iPhone on any mobile operator. Keep up the great work folks!

[Via: Engadget Mobile]

What's wrong with the iPhone SDK… and how to get it fixed
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/11/whats-wrong-with-the-iphone-sdk-and-how-to-get-them-fixed.html

The iPhone SDK is great. I've talked it up enough in the past few days that it should be quite apparent that I think the iPhone SDK will bring a new wave of development for the iPhone's Mac OS.

Still, the glaring problem with the iPhone SDK is that the development platform is limiting iPhone coders from taking full advantage of the iPhone's hardware. It's like putting 1000 horsepower into a sports car but only giving access to 600 of those ponies. Sure, Bugatti limits the power output and top-speed oftheir Veyron supercar, but that's only done in the name of safety - and the limit can be overridden with a special, secondary "fun" key.

Apple has limited the power of the iPhone with a restrictive iPhone SDK. It's great that Apple wants to create the most integrated distribution platform in the world, but they should give the iPhone developer a choice regarding how to get the application to the iPhone. The AppStore is restrictive in the fact that it's forced upon developers.

iPhone applications should be able to run in the background. As Stefan pointed out, third-party applications will not be allowed to run in the background and thus can't be multi-tasked. Mind you, the hardware is capable of doing so. We know third-party applications can run in the background because the iPhone's native applications run in the background and can be multi-tasked; and some unofficial native applications installed via Installer.app do, in fact, run in the background and can be multi-tasked with other iPhone apps running at the same time.

iPhone applications should be able to synchronize data with the user's desktop computer. It's a shame to limit synchronization to iCal, Mail, Safari, etc. The ability for third-party applications to sync with the computer would be a powerful feature indeed.

Would it be too hard to allow VoIP over the cellular data network? Nope. But AT&T is probably going to have a fit if Apple allows this. VoIP is allowed through WiFi, but it might be asking too much to get VoIP access over AT&T's network.

And, allow developers access to the iPhone's dock connector. There's soo much potential locked up in that iPhone dock connector - why not put it to good use? Is it a ploy by Apple to force developers to pay extra license fees for the "Made for iPhone" blessing?

The folks over at Rogue Amoeba have taken their iPhone SDK gripes to the next logical level. Instead of just bitching about not having this or that feature or access to features in the iPhone SDK, they've gone and filed bug reports outlining these (and more) problems. The move is quite ingenius actually. The bug reports will indeed be reviewed by Apple's own engineers and if enough of these bug reports get filed, it might be enough to sway Apple to open up the iPhone SDK a bit more. So, if you're developing for the iPhone or just want the next version of the iPhone to be more open, download the SDK and submit some bug reports. Together we might have the power to convince Apple. "Might" being the operative word here.

Really, I'll be happy if all we get is multi-taskable third-party (official) applications…

Future iPhone to be x86 powered, Intel inside
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/12/future-iphone-to-be-x86-powered-intel-inside.html

Now I'm not saying the next iPhone due to come out this year will have an Intel chip inside, but the one after that, think summer 2009, is looking like a strong candidate for Intel's upcoming Moorestown chip. This slide from my friend Charlie over at TheINQ pretty much says it all:

Apple iPhone SDK downloaded 100,000 times!
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/12/apple-iphone-sdk-downloaded-100000-times.html

You may like it or not, but iPhone keeps getting most of the media attention. Today Cupertino folks announced that a total of 100,000 SDKs were downloaded. It's only fair to say not all of these people will actually ever make an iPhone application, but the number is impressive nevertheless. As a matter of fact, many mobile applications were not downloaded for that many times.

Let's speculate a bit. Let's say 10% of all SDK downloads were developers and let's say half of them will ever make a single iPhone application. That's still 5000 applications folks! And I do believe we'll see that many apps released till the end of this year. The "iPhone hype" is so strong that it's fair to argue that at some point in the future there will be more native applications for the Apple iPhone than for some established platforms like Symbian (there are 8,736 commercially available third-party Symbian apps as from December 31. 2007). Sure, there will be like dozen Sudoku versions, but also some neat apps. Interesting times are ahead of us… Full release is available from here;
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/03-12-2008/0004772506&EDATE=

Next iPhone firmware caught on video; screenshots of Microsoft Exchange support,
mass email delete, Cisco VPN, and parental controls

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/13/next-iphone-firmware-caught-on-video-screenshots-of-microsoft-exchange-support-mass-email-delete-cisco-vpn-and-parental-controls.html

Everything's a bit muddled in the iPhone firmware world. Will the iPhone v1.2 "Aspen" OS that's used in the iPhone SDK emulator be released prior to the iPhone v2.0 firmware that's due out in June? The iPhone v1.2 Aspen firmware could actually be the firmware that will serve as the iPhone SDK-compatible v2.0 firmware - which means that iPhone developers are already playing with the iPhone 2.0.

In either case, we've got video of the next iPhone firmware. TechCrunch posted a short vid (below) that shows off the iPhone's Microsoft Exchange email setup, the new Calculator app, and the settings screen. Gizmodo is also mirroring a video posted by iPhone Dev Team member "sam," that shows off Exchange support, AppStore, Parental Controls, SDK Support, new calculator applications , CISCO VPN support, and mail mass deletion. You'll have to go to Gizmodo to check out that video.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any search functionality in the iPhone Contacts list. But, we do see the AppStore icon and Exchange is clearly supported.

And, it seems that Apple thinks iPhone users (and their parents) will benefit from a parental control feature. If you need parental controls on your iPhone, you probably shouldn't be using one anyway. Then again, I've seen 9-year olds in Westwood, CA. sporting high-end handsets like the Nokia 8800 - so there might be some need to protect spoiled junior from the savage internet.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 04:34:19 PM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside!
« Reply #424 on: March 08, 2008, 09:25:10 AM »
^ The Apple business model works... just not for the author of that piece.  Some people just don't get it.

People want the iPhone.  It is in high demand.  I am seeing them pop up everywhere... just like the iPod did back in 2002.  3rd party developers see this demand and want to cash in by making some cool apps.  Apple releases the SDK and its tools, but makes them Mac only.  If you want to cash in, you have to do it on a Mac.  Don't have a Mac?  You will have to buy one if you want to cash in.  What does this equal?  More sales, exposure, and money for Apple.

Now why would Apple want to open up itself to competition by licensing the OS to others when Apple makes money off the phone... not the OS... the phone.

Microsoft makes their money from software sales.  Apple does it by selling hardware.

The software (the iPhone OS) is the carrot... it attracts customers.  Then Apple sells you the hardware (the iPhone itself).

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #425 on: March 08, 2008, 10:47:42 AM »
^ The Apple business model works... just not for the author of that piece.  Some people just don't get it.

People want the iPhone.  It is in high demand.  I am seeing them pop up everywhere... just like the iPod did back in 2002.

Sure it´s a success,damn near all my friends got one or is getting one.
But then again most of my friends got a MAC,some of them is fanatic MAC fans.

3rd party developers see this demand and want to cash in by making some cool apps.
Apple releases the SDK and its tools, but makes them Mac only.
If you want to cash in, you have to do it on a Mac.  Don't have a Mac?
You will have to buy one if you want to cash in.  What does this equal?  More sales, exposure, and money for Apple.

Apple ain´t the only one to make quality products  ;)
(PS; I got a MAC-Book and love it.... but still  ;) :P)

Now why would Apple want to open up itself to competition
by licensing the OS to others when Apple makes money off the phone... not the OS... the phone.
Microsoft makes their money from software sales.  Apple does it by selling hardware.
The software (the iPhone OS) is the carrot... it attracts customers.  Then Apple sells you the hardware (the iPhone itself).

Yeah,but I think the author is also talking about expanding their portfolio.
Not everyone likes touch screen,including me.
I had SE P800 and SE P900,I´m tired of touch screen...
sure it allows you to have a bigger screen,but right now I prefer a regular keypad,nothing fancy (rock Nokia N82 at the moment)

Just look at how SE rebuild their name when they released at the time revolutinary phone P800,
not everyone could afford it,but it got a lot of press and was known as the "best" phone at the time.
For the ones that couldn´t afford it or thought that the phone was a little too "big" bought other phone´s in their portfolio.
So what I think he´s saying is that,they can´t assume that one model will fit all you know.
There´s probably cats like me that is attracted to the OS,but not the design as it is at the present time.
I want a keypad and I want at least all the specs that I got on the phone I got the moment.  ;)
I don´t think that´s too much to ask for,or is it?  :P ;)

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #426 on: March 10, 2008, 08:46:15 AM »
There seems to also be a likewise minor change to the iPhone's iTunes Store icon. What we see is an iTunes Store icon with a musical note graphic, as opposed to the current "download arrow" graphic. I agree with Doc when he says that the new iTunes Store icon may be a misguided move. The iTunes Store represents Music, TV shows, and movies - not just music. A "download arrow" is better suited to the iTunes Store's function than a musical note.

well the iTunes Store on the iPhone is only for Music it doesnt let you buy or rent movies or tv shows or anything else... so i guess that works just fine... also considering that the iTunes logo on the app for both mac and pc are a CD with a music Note I dont see it as a problem.

and from the feel and look of it they are going to have an APP store and they already have the iTunes Music Store .... i wouldnt doubt they put out maybe a "Video" store on the iphone where you can get TV Shows, Movies, Music Videos and so forth... just a thought.

iPhone is about to really start taking it to all the smart phones out there come June.

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #427 on: March 13, 2008, 11:45:11 AM »
new crazy phones

I found a site
( www.globalsourcesdirect.com )
that sell some crazy ass phones.... some of them looks interesting  ;)

Analog TV Slide-Screen Cell Phones
http://www.globalsourcesdirect.com/servlet/the-4561/Analog-TV-Slide-dsh-Screen-Cell/Detail

Wholesale Analog TV Slide-Screen Cell Phones
This analog-TV receiving cell phone features an innovative slide-opening 2.8-inch touch-screen display, in addition to dual-band frequency operation, MP3/MP4/3GP playback, and a 1.3MP camera. It also features a very unique counterfeit currency detector that your customers will find intriguing. It measures 118 x 56 x 20mm in size and comes in silver and white.

This item will ship out in 5-7 working days upon payment confirmation.

Specifications:
Network: 900/1800 MHz
Language: English, Chinese
Screen: 2.8-inch TFT touch screen
Music support: MP3 and backstage player, equalizer, dual speakers
Video support: 3GP, MP4 video full-screen playback
Camera: 1.3MP
Memory and storage: microSD card up to 1GB
Special Feature: counterfeit currency detector
^^^ :o :o :P :-X :laugh: :laugh: ^^
Dimensions: 118 x 56 x 20mm
Weight: 125g
Color: silver, white
Warranty period: 3 months
In retail packaging

Standard Certification:
Not available

Individual Unit Packages Include:
Cell phone x 1
microSD card x 1
Battery x 2
Headset x 1
Data transfer cable x 1
User Manual CD-Rom x 1
Charger x 1

Export Case Details:
1 unit per carton
Size: 21 x 14 x 11cm
Weight: 0.5kg
Wholesale Analog TV Slide-Screen Cell Phones
SKU: Z0DJX-71923
Per Unit Price: US$168.52
Wholesale case of 1 Units for US$168.52

Dual-Band GSM Cell Phone Watches
http://www.globalsourcesdirect.com/servlet/the-4566/Dual-dsh-Band-GSM-Cell-Phone/Detail

Wholesale Dual-Band GSM Cell Phone Watches
These GSM cell phone watches sport a fashionable design, 1.3-inch touch-screen display, 1.3MP digital camera, and operate on GSM 900/1,800MHz frequencies. Additional features include MP3/MP4 playback, 2GB microSD card support, and Bluetooth connectivity. Coming with a Bluetooth headset, this is truly one versatile watch.

This item will ship out in 5-7 working days upon payment confirmation.

Specifications:
Network: GSM 900/1800MHz
Interface language: Chinese, English, French, Russian, Arabic, Vietnamese
SIM card: unlocked
Screen: 1.3-inch touch screen
Camera: 1.3MP
Multimedia: MP3/MP4 file playback
GPRS support
Bluetooth: A2DP
Color: Black/White
Product dimension: 64 x 45 x 18mm
Product weight: 56g
Warranty period: Six months
In retail packaging

Standard Certification:
Not available

Individual Unit Packages Include:
Cell phone x 1
Stylus x 1
Battery x 2
Micro SD card x 1
Headset x 1
Data transfer cable x 1
Watch band x 1
User manual x 1
Bluetooth headset x 1
Bluetooth charger cable x 1
Charger x 1

Export Case Details:
1 unit per carton
Size: 21 x 14 x 11cm
Weight: 0.5kg
Wholesale Dual-Band GSM Cell Phone Watches
SKU: Z7IJX-71915
Per Unit Price: US$155.30
Wholesale case of 1 Units for US$155.30

I will assume that it got a REALLY LOAD speaker...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

3.5 Inch Screen Dual SIM TV Cell Phone
http://www.globalsourcesdirect.com/servlet/the-4063/3.5-Inch-Screen-Dual-SIM-TV-Cell-Phone/Detail

Wholesale 3.5 Inch Screen Dual SIM TV Cell Phone
This Dual SIM card TV Cell Phone has a build-in analog TV and FM radio receiver, and a super large 3.5-inch TFT LCD for watching TV programs and MP4 files. The phone also has dual-SIM card slot, build-in 9 languages support, and can handle 180 to 300 minutes of talk time, and offers standby time of 200 to 240 hours with a 3500 mAH Lithium battery support.

Analog TV function may not work correctly in the following countries due to SECAM video format inconsistencies: Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Egypt, Hungary, Iran, Iraq, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Ukraine.

This item will ship out 5-7 working days upon payment confirmation.

In mobile phones, dual-band and tri-band refer to functionality that allows a cell phone to support either two or three frequency bands out of the four major GSM (TDMA) bands - 850/900/1800/1900 MHz.
GSM 900/1800 bands work in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Brazil
GSM 900/1800/1900 bands will work on at least one network in most countries around the world except for some networks that only support 850MHz.

Please do check with your local service provider on the frequency for your country.

Specifications:
Network: GSM 900/1800 MHz dual-band
Analog TV receiver: Yes, compatible to use in the following countries: Afghanistan, Argentina, Brazil, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Thailand, Taiwan, Turkey, UAE, UK, Vietnam, Western Europe, and other countries using compatible TV system as these countries.
FM radio receiver: Yes
Interface language: English/French/Spanish/Portugal/Italian/Russian/Arabic/Vietnam/Thai
SIM card: Dual card; single-working; unlocked for use with your existing service provider's SIM card
Screen: Super large 3.5 inch, 320x240 pixels, 262K color TFT LCD
Touch screen with handwriting: Yes
Camera: 1.3 mega pixel dual camera
Multimedia: MP3/MP4 file playback, up to 2GB Micro SD card extension support.
GPRS support: Yes
Bluetooth support: Yes
Special Features: Super long standby.
Talking time:180-300 minutes
Standby time:200-240 hours
In retail packaging
Warranty period: 3 months

Standard Certification:
Not available

Package Includes:
Cell phone x 1
Battery x 2 (3500mAh Lithium)
^^^^ :o :o :o :P :P  :o :o^^^^
Headset x 1
Data transfer cable x 1
Charger x 1
256MB T-Flash card x 1

Export Carton:
1 unit per carton
Size: 22x16x5 cm
Weight: 0.5 kg

* Shipping date is estimated only. Actual date may vary slightly.
Wholesale 3.5 Inch Screen Dual SIM TV Cell Phone
SKU: Z70121-71474
Per Unit Price: US$143.00
Wholesale case of 1 Units for US$143.00

There´s plenty of more crazy phone´s;
http://www.globalsourcesdirect.com/servlet/the-Cell-Phones-cln-Other-Cell-Phones/start/1/total/64/Categories

Okids phone concept for kids
http://www.mobile-review.com/fullnews/main/index_eng.shtml

Song-kyu Nam has created a mobile phone concept called Okids. It is designed for kids aged 5-6. The device looks like a toy and it can be transformed from a sleek candybar to a heart form (symbolizes love to kids) and vice a versa. Colored in bright blue the shell contains several big buttons and a game console on the rear panel of the heart form. There is also a small color display, which reveals contact name or number and even simple games.

Check the battery on this one  :o :o :o :o :o
http://www.solomobi.com/viewproduct.asp?pro_id=1361

Hot Spots
  1.dual sim work one  by one
  2. Bluetooth 2.0
  3. Hand writing & key input
  4.Four speakers good music
  5. 16800 mAh battery super long standby
 ^^^^^ :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ^^^^
  6: MP3,MP4
  7.e-book reader
  8.Dual camera,web-camera
  9.english /chinese

Features
   1. 3.5 inch, , 260K  colour; PX: 240×320px
   3. T-Flash Card Supporting,256MB for free
   4.0.3 Mega pixel camera for Picture & Video capability, 640*480
   5. Double Stereo Loud speaker, 64 chord ring tone
   6. MP3 & MP4 player
   7. GPRS & WAP connectivity, MMS Transceiver
   8. U disk support function to keep the information storage
   9. Bluetooth2.0
   10.calendar,To do list,Alarm,World Clock,Spotwatch
   11.caller picture,caller Ring Tone,
   12.Telephone directories: 300 groups of contacts, support incoming call with big head  sticker,
group ring an Messages &Multimedia messaging: 200 SMS, support MMS; can use downloaded MP3 as SMS rings
   13. Schedule power on/off: support to start/close under set time
   14. Alarm clock:5 groups, support alarm clock when machine’s closed, can set from Monday to Sunday
   15. Games: 2 built-in common games,
   16. More information: MP3, MP4, Handsfree, SMS group sending,
Voice recorder, WAP, Handwritten + keyboard input, Bluetooth, GPRS download,
MMS, Memory extended,  IP dialing, self-designed ringtones, photo editor, alarm clock, calculator, notepad, health management .....

WTF!!!! One crazy ass battery  :o :o :o :o :o :o ^^^^^
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 04:27:32 PM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #428 on: March 26, 2008, 04:40:16 PM »

well the iTunes Store on the iPhone is only for Music it doesnt let you buy or rent movies or tv shows or anything else...
so i guess that works just fine... also considering that the iTunes logo on the app for both mac and pc are a CD with a music Note I dont see it as a problem.

and from the feel and look of it they are going to have an APP store and they already have the iTunes Music Store ....
i wouldnt doubt they put out maybe a "Video" store on the iphone where you can get TV Shows, Movies, Music Videos and so forth... just a thought.

How a icon look or is placed is a minor detail  :P
So I don´t really see any problem with this either,I don´t really download music direct on my phone  :P.
But it´s probably a good business move  ;).

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #429 on: March 26, 2008, 04:50:40 PM »
News

Sling updating SlingPlayer Mobile for Windows Mobile,symbian and iPhone possible
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/17/sling-updating-slingplayer-mobile-for-windows-mobile-nokia-n95-8gb-uiq-iphone-possible.html

Place-shifting TV programs never had it so good. Sling has announced that they'll be releasing an updated version of their SlingPlayer for Windows Mobile devices this Spring. WinMo fans rocking a SlingBox at home and SlingPlayer Mobile on their handset can look forward to optimization for newer Windows Mobile devices (both touchscreen and non-touchscreen).

Sling will also be optimizing their Nokia N95 8GB client and has plans to bring the SlingPlayer Mobile to UIQ.

Most interesting is Sling's mention of the possibility of bringing SlingPlayer Mobile to the iPhone. We've heard rumblings of SlingPlayer coming to the iPhone, but this announcement makes the possibility all the more credible. Now, streaming a SlingBox's feed over an EDGE network is possible (the video stream is automatically adjusted depending on the available bandwidth), but it would be an injustice to the iPhone's beautiful display to watch TV in low-res. Of course, the more pressing problem is Sling's use of a WMV video feed instead of the H.264 encoding that iPhones love so much. Let's hope both those problems get worked out soon.
Hey, Sling, give us iPhone owners any kind of Sling-support and we'll be happy. We'll deal with low-res TV feeds for now - until Apple gets real with the 3G iPhone, that is.

[Via: Gizmodo]

Apple working on iPhone flip? Patent application details flip-phone with dual-sided multi-touch.
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/17/apple-working-on-iphone-flip-patent-application-details-flip-phone-with-dual-sided-multi-touch.html

Apple's first foray into the mobile space has been a terrific success. And, not just as the company's first-ever handset offering, the iPhone has succeeded in an entrenched and competitive handset market.

Still, Apple's a bit of a one-trick pony with their iPhone. They've only got one form-factor with one model (different storage capacities notwithstanding). So, what could Cupertino do to throw some variety into the mix? Make an iPhone Flip, of course.

The latest patent application to surface at the USPTO indicates that Apple is at least considering a flip-phone form-factor for their iPhone. Entitled, "Dual sided trackpad," the patent application describes a method whereby a device's capacitance touch sensor panel and display panel are located on separate halves of the flip. The upper portion serves as a display, which isn't really innovative. But, and here's the innovative part, the lower portion of the flip is a transparent touchpad with dual-sided capacitance touch technology. Unwired View's Photoshop rendering shows off this idea beautifully.

What does that mean exactly? Well, imagine being able to view the device's main display with the flip closed - being translucent, the lower flip doesn't obscure the display. And, the dual-sided capacitance touch flip works while in the closed position (overlayed on the display).

Then imagine that you've got the flip open. The dual-sided nature of the flip allows for an entirely new world of multi-touch gestures - the front side of the flip could be used for certain inputs in tandem with the back side of the flip. Or, maybe you want to "draw" the phone number onto the flip. That would work too. Of course, the flip will still function as a standard numeric keypad.

The possibilities are endless, especially for laptop trackpads and tablet computers. But, it all hinges on Apple's decision to go forward with the tech in this patent application. And iPhone Nano with this dual-sided trackpad technology would probably do quite well among those potential iPhone users that really want a smaller form-factor, not to mention those that just want a clamshell. Fingers crossed…

[Via: Unwired View]

I personally don´t like flip or slide phones.
I prefer classic bar styled phone´s,but this looks like a good concept idea for a iPhone flip phone.

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #430 on: March 29, 2008, 05:06:56 PM »
News

Samsung i780, HTC TyTn II, Eten X600, Nokia N95 GPS test
http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=175&page=8

Samsung i780, HTC TyTn II, Eten X600, Nokia N95

INTRODUCTION
GPS is everywhere these days and particularly in PDAPhones or Smartphones, no mean feat since there are significant constraints to cram in all the "connected technologies" in these ever more compact devices, GSM, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, a bright screen. Needless to say RF interference runs rampant and a high sensitivity GPS chipset is a requirement. Until last year there was only one player, SiRF, with the powerful SiRFstarIII chipset released in early 2005. The other original high sensitivity chipsets by uBlox, NemeriX, MTK, SkyTraq, have not cracked the connected device world yet, but Qualcomm's and TI's have and will be used in this comparison, thanks to the GSM/WiFi integration for the former and to Nokia's decision for the latter.

While some will argue that a chipset must be judged on a test bench to remove problems with the design of the device, at the end of the day, what matters is the user experience and real life side by side comparisons of actual devices are the best way to get an idea of what it is. The line-up for this article is as follows :
- Eten X600 - SiRFstar3lt
- HTC TyTn II - Qualcomm MSM7200
- Nokia N95 8Gb - TI v3
- Samsung i780 - Qualcomm MSM6200

1. ACQUISITION
To overcome the reduced signal fed to the chips by the diminutive GPS antennas, all these PDAPhones have some form of A-GPS, "Ephemeris AGPS" for the X600 with SiRFInstantFixI and the HTC TyTn II with gpsOneXtra, and MS-Based for the Nokia N95 (supl Nokia) and the Samsung i780 (supl Orange). As a result, warm TTFF is obtained in less than ten seconds. For the purposes of this comparison, all the systems were left to "settle" for 10 minutes in the open to remove the impact of these various forms of AGPS

2. ACCURACY - RAW TRACKS
Driving around the high rise buildings of the budding business complex of Noisy le Grand is a good way to gauge the accuracy of the various systems :

A. Overview

B. Zoom #1

B. Zoom #2

B. Zoom #3

3. SIGNAL LEVEL
In addition to the qualitative approach of analyzing the raw tracks, the quantitative analysis of the signal levels obtained from the NMEA can be useful to explain some observations.

No surprise here, the ultra-slim form factor of the i780 likely forced Samsung to use a thin PIFA antenna and as a result the Qualcomm chipset has the lowest signal level to work with. This certainly explains the degraded accuracy of the i780 compared to the HTC TyTn II, also Qualcomm based. Or it could be that the MSM7200 chipset offers improved performance compared to the MSM6200 of the Samsung.

4. FINAL WORDS
Apart from the TI equipped N95 that doesn't recover from the multipath rich passage under and between high rise buildings, the overall performance is very good in light of the constraints of building GPS into the devices. The Qualcomm based Samsung i780 and HTC TyTn II offer good results as long as the conditions are not extreme with a slight advantage for the TyTn II, but the SiRFstar3lt based Eten X600 remains the best performer, being able to handle all types of environments, including pedestrian use as seen in this comparison. Whether this is due to SiRF's expertise in navigation software for high sensitivity chipsets honed in the field since early 2005 or to the better design of the Eten X600 is hard to say, probably a bit of both. It will be interesting to see if the new SiRFprima platform with what looks like a SiRFstarIV chipset is included on upcoming PDAPhones.

Hands-on with Nokia N96
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-n96-en.shtml

Table of contents:
Positioning
Design, size, controls
Display
Keypad
Battery
Memory
Hardware specifications
USB, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi
Music department
Mobile television
Impressions
Sales package:
Handset
Li-Ion battery (BL-5F)
USB data cable (CA-101)
TV cable (CA-75U)
Remote control and headphones (AD-54, HS-45)
Car charger (DC-4)
Charger (AC-5)
Positioning

As a rule, the average consumer’s thought pattern isn't characterized by sophistication or depth – all he cares to consider when choosing a phone is index and functionality. Take the Nokia N95 for example – it is a do-it-all flagship, so the average Joe readily assumes the device that has one rung added to its index, specifically, the N96, should outdo the previous offering in every single way. The logic seems solid at a glance, but as we go deeper into the N96, it loses a fair share of its soundness.

Nokia has a clear-cut goal: to roll out a variety of solutions in order to settle down in different niches and for this they need similarly styled phones that pack in unique feature sets. Being resembling design-wise helps offerings that stand close together within the range appear identical to those who buy this trick, even though as far as philosophy and hardware are concerned, they couldn’t be more polarized. Basically, that’s the story of the Nokia N96 that got stuck with the “flagship” title, so now it is considered as the best S60-based solution around, which is not how things really stand. Effectively, it is a niche product that’s meant to open the range of similarly featured solutions, a feeler, if you like – dubbing an all-round new solution that hasn’t stood the test of time yet “the flagship” is somewhat reckless. Moreover, Nokia has never done such thing, but gossips care very little about that.

Nokia’s portfolio offers a couple of DVB-H capable solutions, specifically the Nokia N77 and a more dated phone, the N92. Neither of them was widely available, since they were used either in pilot television projects or tailored for particular regions (like the N77 in Taiwan, starting late fall 2007). Indeed, given that the vast majority of markets still have no DVB-H television enabled, a replica of the N73, yet armed with this functionality, was uncalled for. In March 2008, the European authorities standardized on DVB-H and from this point on will put in their efforts to support it. In this sense the Nokia N96 has a good chance to avoid the role of an ugly duckling that will never see release – thankfully, mobile television isn’t a big focus in the N96, it is rather included among all other things there.

Much like other Nseries-branded solutions, the N96 is heavy on multimedia, and delivers especially with its video department. There is a handful of things going for it – the display diagonal, hardware support for H.264 decoding, speedier videos and a folding stand that allows having the N96 on flat surfaces at a video-friendly angle.

Interestingly, over a year ago Nokia started to enhance its product portfolio not only by varying styles, but also hardware platform underpinning their solutions. The Nokia N95 and its follow-ups built upon the TI OMAP chip, while the N96 takes advantage of STMicroelectronics’s Nomadik. So when comparing these two phones, their similarities don’t go beyond physical aspects, since other things, like functionality and hardware, are quite different.

Is the N96 a mass-market solution? No. Then, is it heavily specialized, aiming at one particular niche? No. It is rather somewhere in between. This phone will see moderate sales, although the fuss around it will easily shadow its modest numbers.

Back to the table of contents >>>
Design, size, controls

Visually, the N96 is very much like the Nokia N81 8 Gb – same black finish with glossy surfaces, same controls, with a little bit of silver along the sides, making for a pretty seducing mix. The front face is extremely easy to soil with fingerprints and smudge; basically, it gets so dirty in a matter of minutes that a cleaning cloth becomes a must-have for its owners.

The phone measures in at 103x55x18 mm (125 grams) plus the camera part is even thicker due the rim around the lens that adds a couple of millimeters to the N96’s girth. On the whole, the N96 looks and feels more like some sort of shovel in the hand due to being quite wide – compared with the Nokia N81 it has gotten 0,5cm wider. While it is not a solution for women in any way, it is more about whether or not shop assistants will manage to convince them that it is the flagship solution. As far as I remember, the Nokia N93 wasn’t all that petite either, notwithstanding, women happily went for it and carried it around in their purses, and furthermore, some are still using it. It is important to realize that the Nokia N96’s dimensions are as close to the maximum as it get – its pocket-stretching casing won’t fit just about any jacket or trousers. Some may well argue with me on this, and I will readily agree that some types of clothes are perfect for the N96; but for the most part, it will not please you with its portability.

Perched on the top end is the keypad lock slider, the same as that found in the Nokia N81, along with the 3.5 mm headphones jack and power button. Sitting on the left-hand spine is the microSD memory card slot covered by a plastic flap. Things get more interesting on the right side, where you will find two speakers under a metal grill, as well as the camera button and volume rocker. The bottom edge houses the microUSB socket and charger slot (2 mm).

Form-factor wise, the N96 is a dual slider that can be pushed both up and down – that is, in the latter case you gain access to the phone’s music-minded controls that also kick in when watching video. The buttons here, unlike the Nokia N95 8Gb, aren’t bulging – they are flat and made of the same plastic as the handset’s face.

As far as the build quality is concerned, the jury is still out – the prototypes we played around with were nothing special, to put it mildly, so they gave little idea of how the N96 was really put together. Some time ago we experienced the same thing with the Nokia N81 – when I had my first hands-on session with it, I thought its build quality was horrendous. But then I spent some time with a commercial unit and found that it felt pretty solid and had no trace of its past problems left. And I really can’t think why they would make an exception for the Nokia N96 and leave it as it is today.

Nested on the rear side are the LED flash, lens of a 5 Mpix CMOS camera (which is in effect identical to the Nokia N95) with autofocus. As of today, the camera doesn’t work properly, as the software is still pretty crude (well, it does take shots, but I couldn’t find one person who would like them).

Mounted around the lens rim is a folding stand that allows for a video-friendly setup when you put the N96 on a flat surface. It is pretty handy in use and reliable at that – at least, I pressed, pushed and abused the N96 in all possible ways when the stand was out and still couldn’t break it. The models to come will also enjoy this useful detail.

Display

The handset comes bundled with a QVGA 2.8-inch display (240x320 pixels, 42x58 mm). Its 16 million colors and sufficient brightness make for an easy-to-read picture. While in the sun, the display gets washed out, yet remains perfectly legible.

The N96’s diagonal is a clear improvement over the original N95 and its 2,6 inches (which is also quite a difference compared to other 2- and 2,2-inch units). The increased diagonal normally brings about a more blurry image, however thanks to the N96’s brighter display, you will hardly notice this effect.

The display accommodates up to 8 text and up to 3 service lines. In some modes, though, you may get up to 14 text lines. All fonts are sharp and easy to read.

Keypad

Similarly to the N81, the Nokia N96 employs the Navy Wheel. There is a smallish mechanical button with its edges sitting slightly above the surface. Honestly, I didn’t find it a joy to use. It is also flanked by music controls, which is the same control cluster you will see on the N96’s remote. But that’s not the most interesting thing about it. The fact of the matter is that this device utilizes touch-based navigation, so you can scroll though your gallery and music library by sweeping your finger around the navigation button (direction doesn’t matter – if it’s clockwise, then you’ll be scrolling down). Nevertheless, it is not an essential or vital touch, that’s why by default it is disabled in the menu, which is the right thing. Speaking of the drawbacks, we experienced way too many mispresses on the music controls, especially those on the squashed right part of the keypad. Visually, they seem pretty much like the Nokia N91’s cluster, however in the N96 the right soft-key brings up the Multimedia menu.

The numeric keys are average in size and sit under flat plastic slabs. Being glossy, they certainly attract grease and dirt from your hands, which is especially visible while indoors. We have no gripes with the N96’s keypad – it handles well, the buttons are generally good and have sufficient travel distance. They are all lit in white, which makes them visible in various environments.

Battery

The handset makes use of a 950 mAh Li-Ion battery (BL-5F), which is the same as what the original Nokia N95 had, whereas the N95 8Gb had its cell capacity kicked up to 1050 mAh. Given their identical screens, we have a feeling that the Nokia N96 could also use a more capable battery.

The N96 has a rated battery life of 3.6 hours talk time and up to 220 hours standby time. For Nokia N95, the standby time was rated at 240 hours. So, generally, in all main usage modes (voice, web surfing, etc) you won’t notice much of a difference between these too. On a side note, the Nokia N81, thanks to employing different hardware solutions as compared to the Nokia N95, allowed it to excel in terms of battery time in all primary modes, and score 420 hours on standby tests, which is as close to perfect as it only gets. It takes the N96 a little over 2 hours to charge from empty to full.

The Nokia N96 comes equipped with a DSP for sound and video processing; this way, their presence should boost the handset’s performance on these fronts. Let’s take a look at our battery time chart and see how well it fared in a duel with the Nokia N95 8Gb:
GPS-navigation – 3 hours
Video – 4.5 hours (rated at 5 hours, the Nokia N95 8Gb lasted 3.5 hours).
WEB surfing (over EDGE) – 3 hours (same 3 hours on the N95 8Gb).
Wi-Fi (non-stop data upload) – 3.5 hours (N95 8Gb – 3 hours).
Music (in headphones) – 13.5 hours (rated at 14 hours, the Nokia N95 8Gb – at 10 hours)
TV (only for the N96) – up to 5 hours.

Obviously, the N96’s hardware feats help it stay up in the video and music modes longer while packing a less capable battery. Other than that, it was on a par with the Nokia N95 8Gb (give or take in view of its inferior cell).

In Moscow, the N96 stayed online for around 2 days when we were heavy on its features (regular mail checks, up to 5 hours of music and up to 20 SMS messages). We are confident the phone will easily last 2 days even in the most extreme usage mode (except for non-stop web-browsing), and if you are planning to use nothing but its voice calls, then expect 3-4 days of operation, depending on how much time you spend on the phone.

Memory

The N96 is the first S60 smartphone to enjoy both 16 Gb of built-in storage and memory cards. Up until today Nokia hasn’t been running this memory structure on many devices, except for its Internet tablets, like the Nokia N800 or Nokia N810. It is definitely a great feat to have; but it is not only Nokia – Motorola is also exercising this approach (specifically with the ROKR E8, although this concept is marred there by measly inbuilt storage volume).

The handset sports a couple of sections inside its memory – one, Disk C (256 Mb of which around 180 Mb are available), is employed for storing user data, contracts, messages, calendar events etc; it is managed like on other smartphones, i.e. you can save any files here, install applications you need and son on. The same tricks can be done with the inbuilt storage, marked as an extra disk, or, as today’s smartphones have it, a memory card. The file manager now features another tab for memory cards; but at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter what memory section you work with, as you are free to jump between them back and forth, install any applications you want, save any data you need and so forth. So, in essence, it is all the same.

On the other hand, there is a tiny detail, that can come in handy – when copying files in the USB Mass Storage mode into the handset’s built-in memory, the speed will top out at around 2 Mb/s, however, when moving data from or to the memory card from the bundled storage, you will get only 1 Mb/s at best. And we are lost on why it’s so – probably, we’ll need to get back to this issue once we get our hands on a commercial unit.

The N96’s RAM volume makes 128 Mb, although after first start-up there will be only around 89 Mb left at your disposal. On this front it is no different from the Nokia N95 8Gb.

Hardware specifications

As you remember, the Nokia N95 runs the TI OMAP 2420, which is the same solution utilized for all top-of-the-line solutions. With the advent of the Nokia N81, they added another option – a platform from Freescale. And now along comes the third solution – the STN8816 (Nomadik line-up) from STMicroelectronics that employs the ARM926EJ CPU running at 334 MHz. Honestly, sometimes I catch myself thinking that this “334 MHz” mark is bewitched in some way, so that Nokia’s S60-powered solutions can get past it. The fact is, all today’s devices utilize this clock rate, and it’s not clear why, given how different the solutions they retain are and the possibility to kick the TI OMAP's rate up.

The N96 also packs in a DSP for video processing (decodes to H.264 at 30 FPS and VGA resolution – other formats are supported too, but this one is more prioritized). For its audio needs, the handset employs a 24-bit DSP and a wealth of effects that come preinstalled with it, although it is all up to the vendor to enable them or not.

As you can see from this short rundown on the platform, the N96 has some feats onboard that we would like to take for a test drive; specifically, its sound quality and how it fares compared to the competition.

The phone also comes packaged with a motion sensor that automatically rotates the screen when you flip the N96 in your hands.

USB, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi

USB. The handset comes in with USB 2.0 support, upon a successful PC connection you can choose one of the following modes:
Data Transfer (Mass Storage USB) – memory cards is available, no drivers required, as your OS identifies the handset automatically. Data transfer speed makes around 1800-2000 Kb/s (USB 2.0).
PC Suite – used for device management via Nokia PC Suite, enables all features of the phone, data backup etc.
Image Print – no explanation required.
Media Player (MTP protocol) – synchronizes data with Windows Media Player.

Bluetooth. The smartphone sports EDR-enabled Bluetooth 2.0 alongside the following profiles:
A2DP
AVCRP
BIP-ImagePush
DUN-GW
FT-Server
HandsFree-AG (1.0)
Headset-AG
OBEX
OPP-Client
OPP-Server
SIM Access-Server

The top speed you can get with the N96’s Bluetooth connection is around 100 Kb/s. We also tested its A2DP profile in pair with the Sony Ericsson DS970 headset, which worked just fine – we managed our play list, skipped within tracks and adjusted volume seamlessly, however we couldn’t make current track’s title show up on the N81’s display.

Wi-Fi. This handset comes armed with Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 g) support. All security standards are supported: WEP , WPA , WPA 2, with other advanced settings available. The device supports Universal PnP standard (UPnP), which is the successor to the wired standard PnP. With its help, along with Wi-Fi, you can send slides to a TV, music to a stereo system, and photos to a printer. In a certain sense UPnP is like an add-on to the infrastructure (Wi-Fi, for example) in the form of Bluetooth-esque services, so this looks more like a software upgrade. The sales package includes Home Media Server, which allows connecting the N96 through your home Wi-Fi network to a desktop PC.

There is also a Wi-Fi wizard available in the N96 – it can keep looking for enabled networks in the background mode and tap into them.

Music department

What we were really thrilled about with the N96 was what the new chip could bring to the table – its 24-bit DSP had to make some difference, compared to the performance of Nokia’s other offerings. However, we didn’t notice any substantial improvements, although it seemed that bass pumped better, especially when we used custom earphones (the one that comes bundled with the N96 isn’t a good choice after all). The handset’s player packs no bells and whistles, being a standard FP2 fare – you can learn more about it and the system itself in our in-depth review.

And now it’s about time we gave the tribune to Alexander Dembovsky – wrapping it all up, we should also note that the N96’s inbuilt FM radio is pretty good, although it is little to no different from other solutions out there. In speakerphone mode the phone did well playing music and radio – actually over my quality time with the Nokia N96 I got hooked on its online radio, I would often tap into a local WiFi network, tune in to some station, pull the stand out and enjoy music or news bulletins. All thanks to such a tiny, measly detail as the desk stand, the N96 is so much more usable – in this sense I also like the way the Nokia N810 is designed.

Mobile television

The N96 comes installed with a no-frills application for watching TV programmes, featuring a list of broadcasts, enabling you to see short clips taken out of them (not full-screen, however). On the plus side, this app allows for programme descriptions, also it can kick in or start recording on schedule, although the latter ability won’t be available for the most part, since most of the content you watch is protected.

The TV quality offered by the N96 is relatively good, especially when you think that it is DVB-H; consequently you wont’ be able to make use of this functionality unless your region supports the DVB-H standard.

Impressions

The reception quality provided by the N96 is up to Nokia’s standard, nothing to worry about here. The vibro alert is moderate strength-wise. The N96’s two loudspeakers are pretty average as far as their volume is concerned, in fact on this front it is in line with the Nokia N81.

Basically, with the prototypes we got our hands on, it is impossible to judge the N96’s real build quality or UI speed and reliability, so we can either wait for new updates to hardware and software or just sit idle until we get a chance to play around with a commercial edition of the handset.

The N96 is set to arrive in August – September 2008 and will retail for around 550 Euro in Europe (whereas in Russia its price tag will float around the level of 1000 USD, especially during its first months on the market). This phone is heavy both on video and television, that’s why its feats won’t be particularly craved here, in Russia. And given that there are other offerings to come that will offer similar specs under their hoods (USB speed, memory structure), there is no point in paying a premium for the Nokia N96 and getting a bunch of pretty much useless abilities for good measure. On top of that, the N96 is rather a stand-alone device in Nokia’s range; it by no means aims to appeal to each and everyone as the top-of-the-line solution in spite of its index.

On a more interesting note – the Nokia N95 8Gb, upon its release, went for 570 Euro, which is in line with the Nokia N96’s reported price tag and even a tad above it. But there are no far-reaching conclusions to be made here, except for one thing – 16 Gb storage will become par for the course starting late 2008, as a couple of affordable (relatively, though) N81-esque models will come out sporting this much memory onboard.

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #431 on: April 04, 2008, 07:11:48 AM »
try the new Opera Mini 4.1 beta

Opera Mini 4.1 released in beta
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/04/02/opera-mini-41-released-in-beta.html

Opera Mini 4.1 is out! Still in beta, the new version "improves the way Opera Mini interacts with your phone to make browsing more convenient, more productive and definitely more fun."
Highlights/new features:
It's up to 50% faster than Opera Mini 4
URL autocomplete - Opera Mini will automatically suggest URL completions
Save pages for offline access
Find content in the page
Download and upload files - i.e. add attachments to email (if you're using Opera Mini to access your webmail)
Want to try it? Sure you do!
Follow this link for download instructions.
http://www.operamini.com/beta/
Alternatively, you may want to watch the Opera Mini 4.1 guided tour;
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/04/02/opera-mini-41-released-in-beta.html

Windows apps;

Spb Mobile Shell. Second edition
http://www.mobile-review.com/soft/2008/mobile-shell-en.shtml

I get to hear rants on how Windows Mobile based devices are fiddly to manage very often – indeed, the system’s default UI, even in its latest and greatest version, doesn’t quite qualify as user friendly. That’s why all more or less advanced and savvy users have turned their eyes to the field of third-party software, where one of the most newsworthy recent releases is Spb Software House’s Mobile Shell. While the first version of the application appealed to many, just like any other new product it had an array of glitches, which the developers have tried to address with the new version. So our job is pretty easy this time – try to figure out how well they have coped with this task.
Spb Mobile Shell
Developer – Spb Software House
Home page – www.spbsoftwarehouse.com
Price – 29.95$

Lately I’ve been stumbling upon a lot of topics on installing one application on a multitude of devices. The policy of Spb Software House in this matter seems to be the most reasonable – the registration key they issue once you purchase the product is not locked on your device ID or hardwired to it in any way, so you can still use the same Mobile Shell license even when you get a new WM device; on top of that updates to the current build are free, while the new version is available with a 50% rebate to all registered users. But that’s not all: if you upgrade to the new version in less than 90 days since the purchase of the previous application’s release, it is absolutely free. By the way, another approach to the problem of upgrading your software is exercised by Apple with its firmware updates for the iPod Touch (which are not free), and developers whose applications are locked on your device’s hardware identifier or something alone these lines. Sometimes transferring programs of the latter type can be done after getting in touch with the developer’s support service, but these cases are rather exceptions from the rule.

Now, cutting straight to the chase, the new version of Mobile Shell has undergone a major revamp for its Now screen. Basically, not only does it allow checking the status, it is used for managing the device. The Now screen is divided in a couple of active zones – lining the top of the screen is the weather forecast thumbnail, mail box status, call log and quick profiles (professional mode). The second zone features the clock (analog or digital), rounding out the interface is the part with current calendar events, notifications of upcoming meetings and affairs.

But the foremost improvement coming in the updated Now screen is the icon bar at the foot of the display that allows for one-touch access to the application list and settings (second button) and speed dial panel

Tapping the second thumbnail brings up the list of most recent applications you used - while you can put them off the screen, you won’t be able to remove the display brightness icon which is hardwired into this menu. The application list displayed on this screen is carried over from the plugin for the Today screen, so in a nutshell the developers have included an application manager of some sort into their Now interface that allows launching applications without having to dig deep into other menus.

Below are six huge thumbnails leading to certain applications grouped up by type – they will take you to corresponding program pools available in your WM device with a welcome touch of animation along the way.

It is worth noting that all buttons and icon are tweaked for finger-based navigation, being just big enough, plus the screen driver has been optimized to read larger areas you tap with your finger.

The speed dial panel enables the user to put up to 15 entries from the contact list on it, each marked by a sizable thumbnail. The icon in the bottom right corner calls up the on-screen keyboard for quick Smart Dial powered search – you tap in first letters of a contact’s name, while the application displays all matches and offers you a number of options (i.e. make a call, send a message etc).

Apart from refurbishing the Now screen the developers have tacked on an eye-candy way to bring the tabs from the Now screen to the display – while dealing with some application, just tap the status bar that runs along the top of the screen and then move the stylus (or finger for devices that don’t have their displays recessed into the casing) down. Now, moving the stylus right or left you can pick the panel you need without closing the application you are currently in.
Impressions

Spb Software House has been putting in a lot of hours rectifying the interface-related glitches of Windows Mobile – first, with its original Mobile Shell release, and now with the second version of this application. No doubt, when we installed this shell on our communicator, it is a huge relief, partly thanks to the fact that we didn’t have to take the stylus in hands too often, if ever; and when we had no other option, it was only in applications that weren’t optimized for finger-based navigation. On the plus side, this utility doesn’t require your mobile device to be a powerhouse and has almost no effect on the performance of fairly old or slow systems. We’d like to hope that he developers will not stop at this point and will continue pushing the capabilities of this undoubtedly useful tool even further, as, honestly, there are still some functions that we would like to have in there. For example, they could enhance the Now screen with a special tab for quick application launch (styled after the speed dial panel) – those 11 thumbnails you get with the application menu aren’t always enough. We would also welcome the ability to view currently running applications from the status bar at the top, which would make them even easier to navigate.

New methods of navigation, specifically gesture-based controls, allow making communicators so much easier to move about. I do hope this tendency to leave styluses out of work will reach not only software developers, but also the creators of the operating system itself. But for now, Spb Mobile Shell is a must-have application – it is that case when the products price is fully justified by what it packs under the hood.

^^^ Must-have windows application ^^^
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 04:28:13 PM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

Monotone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #432 on: April 11, 2008, 08:38:45 AM »
anybody seen that program winmobile torrent?

torrenting on windows mobile phones, sounds crazy. Anybody tried it yet?

JAZ

« Reply #433 on: April 11, 2008, 08:43:45 AM »
i can get a new phone the 24th. im still rolling with the SE k700i now. because i hardly ever keep below my bundle, i can get mad discount. i want a phone with good internet browsing, lots of gigabytes, and a decent camera. what do you guys suggest?

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #434 on: April 11, 2008, 05:19:22 PM »
i can get a new phone the 24th.
im still rolling with the SE k700i now.

because i hardly ever keep below my bundle, i can get mad discount.
i want a phone with good internet browsing,lots of gigabytes,and a decent camera.
what do you guys suggest?

Well,it sounds like you´re looking for a "multi-media phone" there´s so many to choose from.  :P ;)

Nokia N95 8GB 8GB build memory,5MPX camera,GPS

Nokia N82
5MPX camera,GPS.
"only" 160MB build in memory,but 8GB cards is available for around 60-70 $. (16GB cards is right around the corner)

SonyEricsson G900 same specs as Nokia N82

HTC Touch Cruise 128MB build in memory,but just get a memory card. Windows Mobile,GPS,3MPX camera