Author Topic: Is Life An Illusion Of Our Individual Perceptions?  (Read 270 times)

morbidenigma

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Is Life An Illusion Of Our Individual Perceptions?
« on: November 06, 2007, 04:34:33 PM »
Whereever i go, who ever i meet i'll have a perception of that person based based on what he/she says, there body language, behaviour etc. My interpretation of anyone will be based on these attributes, and the same goes for everyone else. But no one will ever have MY exact perception, or my ‘world’. Reality as we know it exists in our own bubble, no one else’s ‘reality’ is going to be identical to mine. So in that sense how can reality be any more than an illusion of mind?

Is there an ‘absolute truth’ ? and if there is, how are we ever to discover it with these mental barriers we know as ‘emotion’. I think to get to this ‘truth’ would mean a complete loss of ego, and it may not be pleasant, or possible. How are we really sure what is fake and what is real?

When you really think about it what we consider to be real and going on around us is, an illusion created by our perceptions. Each person will perceive reality through there ‘bubble’ differently depending on circumstances. Everything we do and what happens to us on a daily basis is going to have some reaction to our ‘bubble’. We are soo EASILY influenced by external sources, on soo many different levels (most of which is unconsciously) , which to me shows just how fragile, and incoherent our perception of reality actually is.

Which poises the question, if the illusion that is reality differentiates on such a vast scale, who’s to say that ones perception is wrong and another’s is right?

What I’m saying is IMHO i dont think there can be ONE ‘truth’ since everyone’s perception of there own truth varies soo much, sure you might find someone on a similar wavelength to yourself, but no ones perception will ever be 100 percent identical.

J Bananas

Re: Is Life An Illusion Of Our Individual Perceptions?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 05:09:11 PM »
i think the only absolute truth is that there is none. everyone is different and the way we deal with life is a testament to our personal strength. some have to use religion as a way of saying there is an absolute truth so they feel better. some people become know it alls and try to cast their perception onto other people. its a beautiful and vast world we live in but it is also very petty and lame.

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 05:15:29 PM »
Nice thread...I have dabbled into the metaphysical a little bit and i think that all 'reality' is indeed an illusion.  It's just the brain's interpretations of the signals being sent from the 5 senses.  For example, I'm staring at my computer right now and typing on this keyboard but it's only a keyboard because somebody said it was and I only interpret it as a solid object because my fingers are sending those implanted 'thoughts' to my brain to interpret.  The 'reality' of the situation is that the all objects which appear solid are holographs or illusions or vibrations.  The objects that appear solid to the human eye are just vibrating so slowly and for that reason they are referred to as luminous matter.  But the universe is essentially made up of 99.5% dark matter, which means it does not reflect light and, therefore, is invisible to the human eye.  The sad thing is that most people think they see everything when in reality it is just a infinitesimal of what is out 'there'.

Please excuse the cluster of words but I'm imbibing right now  ;D

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 02:36:49 PM »
Whereever i go, who ever i meet i'll have a perception of that person based based on what he/she says, there body language, behaviour etc. My interpretation of anyone will be based on these attributes, and the same goes for everyone else. But no one will ever have MY exact perception, or my ‘world’. Reality as we know it exists in our own bubble, no one else’s ‘reality’ is going to be identical to mine. So in that sense how can reality be any more than an illusion of mind?

Is there an ‘absolute truth’ ? and if there is, how are we ever to discover it with these mental barriers we know as ‘emotion’. I think to get to this ‘truth’ would mean a complete loss of ego, and it may not be pleasant, or possible. How are we really sure what is fake and what is real?

When you really think about it what we consider to be real and going on around us is, an illusion created by our perceptions. Each person will perceive reality through there ‘bubble’ differently depending on circumstances. Everything we do and what happens to us on a daily basis is going to have some reaction to our ‘bubble’. We are soo EASILY influenced by external sources, on soo many different levels (most of which is unconsciously) , which to me shows just how fragile, and incoherent our perception of reality actually is.

Which poises the question, if the illusion that is reality differentiates on such a vast scale, who’s to say that ones perception is wrong and another’s is right?

What I’m saying is IMHO i dont think there can be ONE ‘truth’ since everyone’s perception of there own truth varies soo much, sure you might find someone on a similar wavelength to yourself, but no ones perception will ever be 100 percent identical.

yea and there so many ignorant people and many that juz dont want to get educated cuz they think they cant do it, that theyll die never knowing this

i think no ones preception is the same but u can decieve many people to percieve in a certain way. for example fear (religion, dictatorship, facism, terrorism, gangsters)

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

AndrE16686

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 03:44:03 PM »
who’s to say that ones perception is wrong and another’s is right?
Word.

i think no ones preception is the same but u can decieve many people to percieve in a certain way. for example fear (religion, dictatorship, facism, terrorism, gangsters)
Word.

i think the only absolute truth is that there is none.
^
Word. The sentence contradicts itself, but it also dosn't. Word. 

All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence....The Buddha's last words.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 03:53:26 PM by The Overfiend »

Narrator

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 09:02:12 PM »
i think the only absolute truth is that there is none.

Nope, the truth is what Allah says it is.  And, therefore, what I say it is.  Nobody can contradict me because if they do, they get their hands chopped off.  RUF, bitch!

morbidenigma

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 09:02:03 AM »
some good replies here

morbidenigma

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 02:34:13 AM »
ive been thinking a little more bout this. i think its dificult for us to find the 'exact' truth as everybody has the a different subjective verson of the truth

the sad thing is people get conceited about their version of the truth and condescend patronise other social groups/religions etc. as they do. Whose to say anyone's truth is more truthful then sum else's is ? To really discover discover the truth and see the bare facts,one would have to remove the ego, the problem is human nature is scared of the unknown, people prefer to be lazy and just believe what other people tell them to believe. Society programs us to be progammed by the programmers.

To an extent is down to our parents faults. Parents should encourage children to acquire knowledge and question eveything, but they don't cos they know if they do that children will question their authority, and parents, needing to feel a sense of power dont like being undermined.

IMHO really there is not truth beyond whats socially-accepted in different societies.

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 03:59:32 PM »
The ONLY ABSOLUTE TRUTH in life is DEATH.  True story.