Author Topic: Big Hutch aka Cold 187um Of Above The Law Full Interview On Dubcnn!  (Read 2301 times)

Nima - Dubcnn.com

www.dubcnn.com

Dubcnn is back with them in-depth interviews you're used to! We had the great opportunity of talking to a legend in the game, Big Hutch aka Cold 187um of Above The Law. The Pomona OG talks to us about his time in prison, his plans now that he's out, his upcoming project "Fresh Out The Pen" as well as the new Above The Law album in the works.

Most importantly though, we go in-depth and controversial about the state of the West Coast, Hutch speaks on Dr. Dre, G-Funk, his time on Ruthless Records, Death Row Records and Suge Knight.

We also talk about the DJ's in California, people imitating other region's styles to get heard, making pop music, losing ones identity, and his solution to the problem on the West.

To read or listen to this interview, click below:

Exclusive Interview With Big Hutch aka Cold 187um (Above The Law) (February '08)

Enjoy the interview, make sure to come drop your feedback on the forums or email it to nima@dubcnn.com. Check back with us within the next few weeks for some new music from Big Hutch & Above The Law!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 11:48:29 AM by Nima - R.I.P. Pimp C »

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

Re: Big Hutch aka Cold 187um Of Above The Law Full Interview On Dubcnn!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »
great interview, big hutch damn, one of greatest on west since the begining no doubt...propz as allways nima!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

Okka

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:14:48 PM »
I'm gonna check this out right now.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 12:24:55 PM »
thanks for the interview Nima  :)

We also have the "Greatest Hits" album coming out in May that we're preparing for, it's set up around the 20 year anniversary of Ruthless Records, it's coming out on Ruthless Records.
so maybe we finally get to hear some tracks from black mafia life properly mixed.

by the way, i know cold187 didn't say this, but i have a feeling that Ruthless records is coming with another compilation to celebrate the 20th anniversay  :-\

Dubcnn: Do people still ask you the question who really invented G-Funk?

*laughs* Yeah, they do! It's funny, cause people know who invented G-Funk! The people who ask me, they're telling me "You invented it!" *laughs* They know the history. But yeah, the thing about it is that I don't even live off that. It's just that I've done something, I've influenced somebody, and I wanted my credit for that influence. I innovated a certain sound in this industry and people don't give me credit for it. People just look over me, people don't even put me in nothing, even if that person don't put me in nothing, knowingly that enough people know the true story, for you guys to print that. It's bad in that sense, not to say that "The person who took it is wack for taking it" No. Music is influence, when we click together we all influence each other. That's a compliment.

If I do something good and you utilize it and you come up, that's a compliment. What's messed up, is when you don't give that person the credit, when you don't pay homage to that person. It's like learning a skill from somebody and saying you made it up, and not giving your teacher the proper credit. That's my problem with it. It's not even about this person doing something with it and winning from it, it's only about "give me my credit, give me my just due." I worked hard coming up with a theory and an idea to be different than everybody else, you know what I mean?
cold187 should check out this topic: http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=148792.0
and read the production credits!

That's the only negative thing I could say on the West Coast. All of these guys who are in big positions have rolled in the sunset. I said it, Cold187um Big Hutch from Above The law said it, ya'll muthafuckas done rolled in the sunset on everybody. Fuck it! It ain't finna make no difference homie. Me saying, and you thinking it, ain't finna make no difference. So ya'll go out and support West Coast Hip-Hop, because Dre ain't finna help West Coast Hip-Hop get on point, you guys are!
it's not just westcoast, some people actually expect dre to change hiphop, as Chad Vader pointed out in the serious Detox topic.
while i agree with cold187 that you shouldn't rely on Dre, i disagree with him that Dre is not able to help the westcoast.
i guess he didn't know that Dre still works with some westcoast artists; i mean, whether they're going to drop a soloalbum or not, but a feature on Detox definately helps.
not to mention the artists that can capitalise on the buzz created by Detox.

anyway, i'm looking forward to hearing that upcoming album, 187 has some dope tracks on his myspace page  :)

calisfinest

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 12:28:32 PM »
above the law is the truth hope they can make a new album that fits today

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 01:41:14 PM »
Good looking ya'll + 1 keep it coming

bigpimpin20

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 02:08:30 PM »
real muthaphukkin interview with real muthaphukkin person, Hutch speakin truth without sellin bullshit to people

daWappla

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Wean! ... oda wos is?
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 03:14:32 PM »
Good interview! Great to hear from him, hopefully they can drop some hot and innovative stuff. I kinda lost interest in the West Coast over the last year or so but ATL could be the ones who do it for me again. They´re legends.

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 03:16:20 PM »
major props 4 this 1  8)

AboveTheLaw

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 03:28:09 PM »
Thanks Nima!

Was there any mention of K-OSS? I last read two years back that he was either locked up or was suffering from MS.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »
Great interview, some real interesting points.

Rappers need to realise that there never gonna get rid of executives at labels, but maybe they should concentrate on changing there opinion on whats hot.

Also dre doesent owe the west anything.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

D Breezy

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 03:40:05 PM »
good to see hes out. im lookin forward to seein what kinda projects he is gonna put out now. it seems he understands how watered down and wack rap is nowadays. his production is always dope hopefully his lyrics got better and he got somethin to rap about that means sumthin.
Southern Cali Producer D Breezy

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqxEePe3NSCrYlYZrXzm0Pg
IG - @d_breezysounds
iTunes - https://music.apple.com/us/album/what-it-means/1591041892
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/album/7cmg61kWV0NUZ3IqcuczoC

What It Means out now!! feat. Tash, Kokane, T.Kidd, Propain, Joel Q, Bo Roc, LBC Crew, and more

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »
long interview but a fucking good one,props like alwats nima!!!

cStyle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 04:24:06 PM »
that was some interesting read man...Hutch is a true LEGEND

Okka

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »
Nice interview, i hope we gon' hear some new ATL music soon. Why was Kokane in jail? Shieet, i didn't know that.