Author Topic: Help! How do I convert iTunes files?  (Read 388 times)

penenstamp

Help! How do I convert iTunes files?
« on: December 25, 2008, 01:12:20 PM »
Ok, when you cop something off iTunes the files are fucked because you can only play them on a limited amount of computers/(i)phones/mp3-players. I always use Soundforge to convert files and/or to edit and mix music... Since I don't want to risk the chance of having to buy my music again I wanted to convert the music to files that I can play wherever whenever. Sounds like magic, doesn't it? Only Soundforge can't open these files I copped from iTunes. I don't want to burn the music to cd because if I rip it from cd I lose quality.

Who knows a program I can use to convert these iTunes files?

Matty

Re: Help! How do I convert iTunes files?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 01:34:53 PM »
what format are they? if its that m4a format this will work...a music player called FOOBAR 2000 will play m4a files and in that its very easy to immediately convert them to whatever you like (wav, mp3). its a real pro program. a copy of the LAME encoder executable is needed (i can hook this up but its easy to find) to get it to encode to MP3 though. if you convert to mp3 straight away it warns about converting from one lossy format to another you can lose quality but imo its fine and you dont hear any difference. if your paranoid that you might lose quality you can just convert it to wav first and then over to mp3 afterward.

a situation arised recently where i wanted to do some m4a > mp3 and thats how i did it. i don't really mess with the m4a format cause i run the way way old winamp 2 as my main music player in windows - mp3 is always preferrable.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 01:48:30 PM by Matty »

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 02:22:31 PM »
Files bought on iTunes are AAC, Apple's own "lossless" audio format.

But it's not the format that's your problem, it's Apple's DRM (digital rights management) embedded to the files. When you buy songs off iTunes, you don't really own them - you have limited rights to play them on certain devices and with certain software. The DRM blocks any other use of the files. I don't know if you can get rid of the DRM, at least I haven't heard of such a method.

My advice to get audio files that work everywhere - buy the CD and rip it (I still buy only CD's myself) or buy MP3's from a store that sells you songs without any DRM bullshit. As far as I know MP3's sold on Amazon.com don't have any restrictions applied to them.

Matty

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 02:54:02 PM »
that's shady but as long as you can play them on your pc you can still resample them. bit long winded to record it all in wav format but :I

We Fly High

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 09:26:49 PM »
this is what i do. i buy the file, i burn it to a audio CD. I re-rip it to my computer as a MP3. and it should be good.

teletomble

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 01:01:14 AM »
I JUst Downloaded ITunes

Can U Not Get The Music Files in MP3 Format?

penenstamp

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 01:19:00 AM »
I JUst Downloaded ITunes

Can U Not Get The Music Files in MP3 Format?

m4a only as far as I know...

this is what i do. i buy the file, i burn it to a audio CD. I re-rip it to my computer as a MP3. and it should be good.

That's a guaranteed loss of quality and I don't want that.

or buy MP3's from a store that sells you songs without any DRM bullshit. As far as I know MP3's sold on Amazon.com don't have any restrictions applied to them.

I'm not in the US, so amazon.com doesn't work for me with that. You know, I only buy music digitally if the music doesn't leak out and it's not available in hard copies. In other words: if I'm desperate enough to get the music, I'll buy a digital copy as the last rescue. Probably not more than 15 people total will buy the shit I buy on iTunes anyway, lol.

what format are they? if its that m4a format this will work...a music player called FOOBAR 2000 will play m4a files and in that its very easy to immediately convert them to whatever you like (wav, mp3).

All m4a... I'll try that! Thanks :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:21:45 AM by penenstamp »

Invincible

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 07:55:22 AM »
If Matty's way doesn't work, try this.

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/plus.html

teletomble

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 12:39:03 AM »
When U Purchase Albums Off Of ITune, Do U Just Get The Music Files or Do U Also Get Album Artwork?

penenstamp

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 12:51:31 AM »
^ Thanks for the suggestion. I'ma see if it works tonight :)

When U Purchase Albums Off Of ITune, Do U Just Get The Music Files or Do U Also Get Album Artwork?

Just the music... which by the way is a good reason not to buy anything digitally... when you buy a cd you also get the artwork. When you buy it digitally you 1. don't get artwork and 2. don't get production information.