Author Topic: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread  (Read 21204 times)

Jaydc555

Re: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread
« Reply #540 on: May 14, 2009, 05:35:18 PM »
This album grows on you.I like it more after every spin.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #541 on: May 14, 2009, 06:59:48 PM »
This album grows on you.I like it more after every spin.

dameons

According to this article , Dre didn't produce " We Made You "...? (MTV)
« Reply #542 on: May 14, 2009, 11:18:07 PM »
Eminem Producer Couldn't Believe MC Wanted 'We Made You' Beat
'I believed in that song, but I didn't know it would make it to where it did,' Doc Ish says.

By Jayson Rodriguez
Views    7,138

* Favorites
      Comments8
      Rating90%
      Rate this Article
      Flagged... Flag Adult Hate Spam Other

Add to My Profile
    * Print
    * ShareThis

When it comes time for Eminem to release an album, he always sticks to his tried-and-true formula. The first singles are comical celebrity takedowns, featuring Em's revved-up Slim Shady persona on a track produced by Dr. Dre (think "My Name Is and "The Real Slim Shady").

On "We Made You," however, the lead single from Relapse, another beatsmith set the foundation for Eminem's return: Connecticut producer Doc Ish.

The Hartford native has worked with some of the underground's finest rappers, from AZ to Talib Kweli. But when he created the beat for "We Made You," he never imagined it would land in the hands of Marshall Mathers. He originally shopped the record — with the same hook, sung by Charmagne Tripp — to Red Café, before D12 member Bizarre picked it up.

But after writing his own version of "We Made You," Bizarre called Doc Ish with news that Eminem wanted the record. Because Bizarre is such a jokester, though, Doc didn't believe him. So he hung up on him.

"He called me at a bad time, so when he was like, 'Marshall wants the record,' I was like, 'Yeah, right,' " Doc told MTV News. "He was like, 'No, seriously, I'm not playing.' And Bizarre is a comical dude, so it's hard to know if he's playing or not. I didn't have time that day; I was busy mixing a record for Saigon. So I basically hung up on him. So he called me back with his cousin, Gambino, from Hartford, and he's who I know Biz through. And [Gambino] was like, 'Ish, he's for real, he's not playing.' So they put me in touch with [Eminem's] management. I was still like, 'OK,' 'cause Bizarre plays jokes on people. But within five minutes, his management called, and they said they wanted the song. I believed in that song, but I didn't know it would make it to where it did."

The song was picked up in November of last year, and the video premiered last month on MTV.

The accomplishment served as a testament to Doc Ish's perseverance. In 2004, the producer, who suffers from lupus, endured heart problems that he struggled with into the beginning of last year. Once he finally got a grasp on things, Doc — a former rapper, who had to give up rhyming because of a lack of breath control from his condition — turned to producing with fervor. He still remains a part of his group, the Abnormals, consisting of Apollo Swyf, Colloso and Belly. But nowadays, he keeps his rhymes limited to short bursts.

In the meantime, Doc is working on a compilation album, Arbitration, that he hopes to release later this year. He's negotiating a deal for the project, which includes tracks with Sean Price, Kool G Rap and Bizarre.

He also, of course, hopes to land a track on Eminem's Relapse

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Yea doc ish was a co-producer

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #544 on: May 15, 2009, 02:58:47 AM »
Merged a lot of the topics. Unless it's somethig really new and important post all news here.

The album has mad replay value, last time it was like this was Ultimate Victory. Just put this in the car, it's definetly a sonic experience. Probably the best produced cd since 2001.
wow  :o

aren't you a little too enthusiastic?

not referring to the mixing off course.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #545 on: May 15, 2009, 04:06:46 AM »
I can't think of any better. GRODT, Documentary, Massacre and Big Bang were also very well produced cds but they all had tons of different producers, so the vibe wasn't as cohesive as on Relapse.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #546 on: May 15, 2009, 06:22:55 AM »
I can't think of any better. GRODT, Documentary, Massacre and Big Bang were also very well produced cds but they all had tons of different producers, so the vibe wasn't as cohesive as on Relapse.

i see your point, but despite the fact that Relapse is basically done by one producer, it doesn't have that much of a cohesive vibe in compared to other albums that had similar input from Dre.

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #547 on: May 15, 2009, 06:31:20 AM »

i see your point, but despite the fact that Relapse is basically done by one producer, it doesn't have that much of a cohesive vibe in compared to other albums that had similar input from Dre.

Relapse works well within its concept.
Which other albums have had similar input from Dre? 2001...before that, Doggystyle?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #548 on: May 15, 2009, 06:36:46 AM »

Relapse works well within its concept.
Which other albums have had similar input from Dre? 2001...before that, Doggystyle?

Doggystyle, Chronic, Niggaz4life, Staight Outta Compton, No One Can Do It Better to name a few.

i think there's a few more from the Ruthless era

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #549 on: May 15, 2009, 06:47:00 AM »
Exactly, going back almost 20 years to find a time when Dre regularly had major input on an album. All of those albums you mentioned were basically steps in the evolution of the G-Funk sound, so granted, they would sound a lot more cohesive.

This is the first Dre-produced album for 10 years and in that time he's experimented with and refined different sounds. You can hear them all on Relapse; the album requires variations in its sound to execute its concept.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #550 on: May 16, 2009, 09:55:54 AM »
Full credits:

Eminem
Relapse
Aftermath/Interscope records, 2009

01. Dr. West (Skit)
Produced by Dr. Dre & Eminem
Performed by Dominic West & Eminem
Keyboards by Mark Batson, Dawaun Parker & Trevor Lawrence Jr.
Mixed by Dr. Dre

02. 3 A.M.
Produced by Dr. Dre
Keyboards by Mark Batson, Dawaun Parker, Trevor Lawrence Jr. & Mike Elizondo
Intro, Bass & Guitar by Mike Elizondo
Mixed by Dr. Dre

03. My Mom
Produced by Dr. Dre
Keyboards by Mark Batson, Dawaun Parker & Trevor Lawrence Jr
Guitar by Eric "Jesus" Coomes
Mixed by Dr. Dre

04. Insane
Produced by Dr. Dre
Scratches by Trevor Lawrence Jr.
Guitar by Mike Elizondo
Mixed by Dr. Dre

05. Bagpipes From Baghdad
Produced by Dr. Dre & Trevor Lawrence Jr.
Guitar by Sean Cruse
Mixed by Dr. Dre

06. Hello
Produced by Dr. Dre & Mark Batson
Mixed by Dr. Dre

07. Tonya (Skit)
Keyboards by Mark Batson & Dawaun Parker
Mixed by Dr. Dre

08. Same Song & Dance
Produced by Dr. Dre & Dawaun Parker
Guitar by Mike Elizondo
Mixed by Dr. Dre

09. We Made You (feat. Charmagne Tripp)
Additional production by Doc Ish
Keyboards by Mark Batson
Chours vocals by Charmagne Tripp
Mixed by Dr. Dre

10. Medicine Ball
Mixed by Dr. Dre

11. Paul (Skit)

12. Stay Wide Awake
Produced by Dr. Dre
Guitar by Mike Elizondo
Mixed by Dr. Dre

13. Old Time's Sake (feat. Dr. Dre)
Guitar by Eric "Jesus" Coomes
Mixed by Dr. Dre

14. Must Be The Ganja
Bass & Guitar by Eric "Jesus" Coomes
Background vocals by Traci Nelson
Mixed by Dr. Dre

15. Mr. Mathers (Skit)
Mixed by Dr. Dre

16. Déjà Vu
Produced by Dr. Dre
Guitar by Sean Cruse
Mixed by Dr. Dre

17. Beautiful
Produced by Eminem
Keyboards by Jeff Bass & Luis Resto
Bass & Guitar Jeff Bass
Mixed by Eminem & Mike Strange

18. Crack A Bottle (feat. Dr. Dre & 50 Cent)
Produced by Dr. Dre
Bass & Guitar by Eric "Jesus" Coomes
Sample submitted by Eric Danchick
Mixed by Dr. Dre

19. Steve Berman (Skit)

20. Underground
Produced by Dr. Dre
Chours vocals produced by Sauce
Chours vocals by Kip Blackshire, Tamara Powell, Tavia Ivey & Lisa Ivey
Mixed by Dr. Dre

Deluxe Edition Bonus Tracks:
21. My Darling
Produced by Eminem

22. Careful What You Wish For
Produced by Eminem

EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Dr. Dre

Leftover

I'm Having A Relapse
Produced by Dawaun Parker

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #551 on: May 16, 2009, 10:17:49 AM »
interesting, Sean Cruse was also on 2001.

anyway, continued from:

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=217653.msg2199643#msg2199643

We Made You (feat. Charmagne Tripp)
Additional production by Doc Ish
Keyboards by Mark Batson
Chours vocals by Charmagne Tripp
Mixed by Dr. Dre
i told you, that you were wrong Laconic ;)

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #552 on: May 16, 2009, 11:39:19 AM »
Prelapse to the Relapse Special
Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Doesn't know where the accents came from, they just morphed into creation.  He doesn't care what anyone thinks anymore.  He's just going to do him for now on.  While he was a huge Christopher Reeves fan the paradox of Reeves being superman and becoming a paraplegic has always been an interesting but amusing paradox.  His goal is to get you to laugh at the most fucked up shit he spits.  He admits he is an addict and talks about that process.

Insane: how a rhyme goes bad, it means nothing at the end of the day.  I want to see how far I can take this before people actually puke.

Bagpipes from Baghdad: Certain people just got to get it.  Some people become permanent fixtures in my lyrical mixtures and not just to quote the record but its true.  Certain people in the industry have just become my enemy over the years. 

Hello:  Re-Introduction since he hasn't been here in the past 4 to 5 years.  It's a acquittance to Marshall and Shady.

Same Song and Dance: Trick was to get women to dance to it and not know what the fuck they're listening too.   A twisted manipulation of the standard dance song.

Stay Wide Awake: a demented serial killer love song, blames television for the creation of it

Old Times Sake: a fun record, it is what it is

Must Be the Ganja:  It must be the smell of the weed, the henny in the studio with Dre that's got his mind in the zone

Deja Vu & Beautiful: part of album where you put jokes aside and sums up his past couple of years.   Deja Vu is the actual even that happened, gives people an idea of where he's been in the past 4-5 years.  Beautiful is where he was battling everything and had yet to come to the realization that he was an addict.  Only song used on the record when he was high.  The time period was fucking horrible but the track captures that for him.  Only song that he felt was good enough for the record from that time period.

Underground:  Metaphorically speaking, the subject matter and the shit he talks about is an attempt to take it back to his days when he didn't give a fuck about what he had to say.  Back to the hip-hop shop days, the dirty dozen days where he wasn't famous and didn't have to hold back his tongue.  This is the kind of shit he used to spit for punchlines and is him going back to those days.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #553 on: May 16, 2009, 11:56:03 PM »
Prelapse to the Relapse Special
Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Doesn't know where the accents came from, they just morphed into creation.  He doesn't care what anyone thinks anymore.  He's just going to do him for now on.  While he was a huge Christopher Reeves fan the paradox of Reeves being superman and becoming a paraplegic has always been an interesting but amusing paradox.  His goal is to get you to laugh at the most fucked up shit he spits.  He admits he is an addict and talks about that process.

Insane: how a rhyme goes bad, it means nothing at the end of the day.  I want to see how far I can take this before people actually puke.

Bagpipes from Baghdad: Certain people just got to get it.  Some people become permanent fixtures in my lyrical mixtures and not just to quote the record but its true.  Certain people in the industry have just become my enemy over the years. 

Hello:  Re-Introduction since he hasn't been here in the past 4 to 5 years.  It's a acquittance to Marshall and Shady.

Same Song and Dance: Trick was to get women to dance to it and not know what the fuck they're listening too.   A twisted manipulation of the standard dance song.

Stay Wide Awake: a demented serial killer love song, blames television for the creation of it

Old Times Sake: a fun record, it is what it is

Must Be the Ganja:  It must be the smell of the weed, the henny in the studio with Dre that's got his mind in the zone

Deja Vu & Beautiful: part of album where you put jokes aside and sums up his past couple of years.   Deja Vu is the actual even that happened, gives people an idea of where he's been in the past 4-5 years.  Beautiful is where he was battling everything and had yet to come to the realization that he was an addict.  Only song used on the record when he was high.  The time period was fucking horrible but the track captures that for him.  Only song that he felt was good enough for the record from that time period.

Underground:  Metaphorically speaking, the subject matter and the shit he talks about is an attempt to take it back to his days when he didn't give a fuck about what he had to say.  Back to the hip-hop shop days, the dirty dozen days where he wasn't famous and didn't have to hold back his tongue.  This is the kind of shit he used to spit for punchlines and is him going back to those days.

actually he does care about what others think of his music, otherwise he wouldn't state that Encore didn't get the props he thinks it deserves

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #554 on: May 17, 2009, 12:14:11 AM »
His point was he's going to keep making the music he wants to make despite objectors.  If you listen to the album, he kept with the accents despite the overall hate it got on Encore and he didn't discuss the subjects most people wanted to know about such as Proof, he spit what he wanted to spit about.  So, I would say his statement was relatively accurate. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks