Author Topic: WideAwake reveals Death Row Records Plans  (Read 2818 times)

Quadruple OG

WideAwake reveals Death Row Records Plans
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/death-row-back-to-life-with-publishing-deal-1003985962.story

Music publisher EverGreen, which owns the catalogs of 2 Live Crew, Third Eye Blind, MC Hammer, Tupac Shakur and others, has signed a deal with WIDEawake, the Canada-based development company that acquired the assets of Death Row Records earlier this year, to be the worldwide administration company of the legendary rap label. As part of a long-term arrangement, EverGreen will administer and handle licensing for all of the compositions and master recordings in the Death Row catalog, as well as the processing of all mechanical and performance royalties in the catalog.

"After purchasing the Death Row catalog in January, WIDEawake began looking for a partner to help monetize their rights," David Schulhof, co-CEO of EverGreen, tells Billboard.com. "We already had a relationship through the estate of Tupac Shakur; WIDEawake was looking for an exclusive boutique company to help focus on licensing in the film, television, video game and ad world; and because we own the catalogs of Tupac and 2 Live Crew and Teddy Riley and others, they knew we already had experience in the genre. So, it just felt like the obvious choice for them to partner up with us for Death Row."

With the new joint venture, WIDEawake extends EverGreen's rights to market, promote and collect royalties on all the copyrights and master recordings in the Death Row catalog, including more than 10,000 released and unreleased songs by such artists as Tupac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Tha Dogg Pound, Kurupt, Daz Dillinger and Nate Dogg, to list a few. It also includes never-before released albums by Crooked I, Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, RBX, The Lady of Rage, Warren G, K-Solo, Danny Boy and DJ Quick, among others.

So far, EverGreen/WIDEawake has licensed tracks like "Nuttin' But A G Thang," "California Love" and "Gin N Juice" for television shows and movies. Evergreen also got new artists -- although he wouldn't reveal who -- to record remixes of a number of songs from the catalogs for several video games. "We are now a one-stop, which makes it easy to clear," says Schulhof. "If anyone in the film, tv, ad or video game world wanted to pick up any Death Row song, we control both sides of the equation so It'd be easy."

In addition, Death Row is expected to generate a number of new releases in the near future, like a new album of unreleased Tupac material to commemorate the rapper's June 2010 birthday. The as-yet-untitled album will be distributed by E-1 stateside and EMI overseas. Other forthcoming releases include a collector's edition rerelease of "The Chronic Re-Lit," slated for a September 1, 2009 street date. The album will feature four bonus tracks - all unreleased master from Death Row - plus a DVD with never before seen video footage of Dr. Dre and other artists. WIDEawake/Death Row will also release several box sets this holiday season, including a four CD collection of previously unreleased Death Row master recordings, never before seen images and video footage.

As well, WIDEawake/Death Row will launch a new brand extension called Hustle City, which will debut first as a graphic novel including a CD insert of music related to the story line. "Our goal is to continually breathe new life into Death Row," said Lavi, adding that aside from the graphic novel series, they also plan on releasing comic books, animated webisodes, a feature film and games under the Hustle City powered by Death Row music brand.

WIDEawake Entertainment Group snapped up Death Row Records from bankruptcy for $18 million in January. Lara Lavi, the company's founder and CEO, is a lawyer, songwriter and entrepreneur, who founded the company in 2006 to work in a variety of media, including film and music. WIDEawake has distribution in Canada through Universal Music.

So it looks like Santa is going to be bringing some unreleased Death Row boxed sets this X-Mas. Would be great if it plays out this way.

Al Bundy

Re: WideAwake reveals Death Row Records Plans
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 05:13:39 PM »
wow. i can't wait  8)

JohnnyL

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 05:15:52 PM »
"Chronic: Re-Lit" pushed back again....gay.

bad-n-fluenz supporter of the dangerous crew movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 05:30:21 PM »
"Chronic: Re-Lit" pushed back again....gay.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 05:34:54 PM »
i'll probably have a great christmas this year...AS LONG AS THAT 4 DISC SET INCLUDES SOME 2PAC OG'S FROM STILL I RISE/UTEOT/BETTER DAYZ OFCOURSE  8)

oh and maybe the original "untouchable" from Pac's life...that'd be nice
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

F-cisco

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 05:35:18 PM »
Man they ain't releasing shit. Same crap over and over again.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »
Man they ain't releasing shit. Same crap over and over again.

WIDEawake/Death Row will also release several box sets this holiday season, including a four CD collection of previously unreleased Death Row master recordings, never before seen images and video footage.

sounds like they're waiting for the best quarter of the year for their sales...I can't blame them in this economy
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 05:56:35 PM »
"Evergreen also got new artists -- although he wouldn't reveal who -- to record remixes of a number of songs from the catalogs for several video games."

^^Yeah sounds great.  :P

Blasphemy.

Wideawake should have been allowed to buy the released catalog only, the rest should have been kept in the vault. Bootleggers would make sure the stuff gets out one way or another and thanks to the good people who are willing to share and leak it everybody would be able to enjoy it.

Let that Death Row jinx continue and see how NOTHING gets released by this company.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

blkb

• 'G'
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 05:58:43 PM »
They don't have half of those albums listed.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 06:16:21 PM »
Wideawake should have been allowed to buy the released catalog only, the rest should have been kept in the vault. Bootleggers would make sure the stuff gets out one way or another and thanks to the good people who are willing to share and leak it everybody would be able to enjoy it.

Let that Death Row jinx continue and see how NOTHING gets released by this company.
If nothing is going to get released, why does it matter what they are allowed to buy? I don't see what you are angry about. It seems like a win-win situation for everyone.

Muhfukka

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 06:23:52 PM »
not happening

Chad Vader

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 06:25:23 PM »
unreleased RBX album on Death Row? Kilo,that's bullshit right?

Mygla

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »
unreleased RBX album on Death Row? Kilo,that's bullshit right?

they probably have enough RBX-tracks for an album...

i'll probably have a great christmas this year...AS LONG AS THAT 4 DISC SET INCLUDES SOME 2PAC OG'S FROM STILL I RISE/UTEOT/BETTER DAYZ OFCOURSE  8)

oh and maybe the original "untouchable" from Pac's life...that'd be nice

I pray to god they don't fuck this up by releasing 2pac og's that we have all heard... Pac-stans would be like "Omg! this original version of They Don't Give A Fuck About Us got an adlib slightly different from the released version!" Fuck that, give me unheard gems fro DPG, Dre, Sneed, J-Flexx, Realest, Rage etc. We've got enough Pac-materiale to last us a lifetime.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 07:11:12 PM »
word i was thinking about that lol

i want these:

-my closest road dog SOLO
-as the world turns (ft fatal)
who do ya luv (w stretch)
hennessy (w syke and mopreme)
thug 4 life (ft stretch)
changed man (2 verses + syke)
still ballin (w kurupt...not just the acapella)

Moe

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 07:15:17 PM »
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/death-row-back-to-life-with-publishing-deal-1003985962.story

Music publisher EverGreen, which owns the catalogs of 2 Live Crew, Third Eye Blind, MC Hammer, Tupac Shakur and others, has signed a deal with WIDEawake, the Canada-based development company that acquired the assets of Death Row Records earlier this year, to be the worldwide administration company of the legendary rap label. As part of a long-term arrangement, EverGreen will administer and handle licensing for all of the compositions and master recordings in the Death Row catalog, as well as the processing of all mechanical and performance royalties in the catalog.

"After purchasing the Death Row catalog in January, WIDEawake began looking for a partner to help monetize their rights," David Schulhof, co-CEO of EverGreen, tells Billboard.com. "We already had a relationship through the estate of Tupac Shakur; WIDEawake was looking for an exclusive boutique company to help focus on licensing in the film, television, video game and ad world; and because we own the catalogs of Tupac and 2 Live Crew and Teddy Riley and others, they knew we already had experience in the genre. So, it just felt like the obvious choice for them to partner up with us for Death Row."

With the new joint venture, WIDEawake extends EverGreen's rights to market, promote and collect royalties on all the copyrights and master recordings in the Death Row catalog, including more than 10,000 released and unreleased songs by such artists as Tupac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Tha Dogg Pound, Kurupt, Daz Dillinger and Nate Dogg, to list a few. It also includes never-before released albums by Crooked I, Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, RBX, The Lady of Rage, Warren G, K-Solo, Danny Boy and DJ Quick, among others.

So far, EverGreen/WIDEawake has licensed tracks like "Nuttin' But A G Thang," "California Love" and "Gin N Juice" for television shows and movies. Evergreen also got new artists -- although he wouldn't reveal who -- to record remixes of a number of songs from the catalogs for several video games. "We are now a one-stop, which makes it easy to clear," says Schulhof. "If anyone in the film, tv, ad or video game world wanted to pick up any Death Row song, we control both sides of the equation so It'd be easy."

In addition, Death Row is expected to generate a number of new releases in the near future, like a new album of unreleased Tupac material to commemorate the rapper's June 2010 birthday. The as-yet-untitled album will be distributed by E-1 stateside and EMI overseas. Other forthcoming releases include a collector's edition rerelease of "The Chronic Re-Lit," slated for a September 1, 2009 street date. The album will feature four bonus tracks - all unreleased master from Death Row - plus a DVD with never before seen video footage of Dr. Dre and other artists. WIDEawake/Death Row will also release several box sets this holiday season, including a four CD collection of previously unreleased Death Row master recordings, never before seen images and video footage.

As well, WIDEawake/Death Row will launch a new brand extension called Hustle City, which will debut first as a graphic novel including a CD insert of music related to the story line. "Our goal is to continually breathe new life into Death Row," said Lavi, adding that aside from the graphic novel series, they also plan on releasing comic books, animated webisodes, a feature film and games under the Hustle City powered by Death Row music brand.

WIDEawake Entertainment Group snapped up Death Row Records from bankruptcy for $18 million in January. Lara Lavi, the company's founder and CEO, is a lawyer, songwriter and entrepreneur, who founded the company in 2006 to work in a variety of media, including film and music. WIDEawake has distribution in Canada through Universal Music.

So it looks like Santa is going to be bringing some unreleased Death Row boxed sets this X-Mas. Would be great if it plays out this way.
you stil believe in santa?