Author Topic: your favorite 20 New York City rap albums?  (Read 1752 times)

The Watcher

Re: your favorite 20 New York City rap albums?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2009, 02:33:07 AM »
wild style ost?

did you look for the 20 oldest albums you could find from new york?
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Jaydc555

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 02:51:28 AM »
We said your favorite of all time not of the 80s Chad LOL

The Watcher

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 03:04:59 AM »

it´s my favorites... ;)

yeah i didnt mean to come across as hating, i can just think of 10 other albums i prefer over that album is all
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Jaydc555

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2009, 03:18:51 AM »
You don't rank illmatic or 36 chambers or ready to die in your top 20 from new York?That's just fucking bizzare

Jaydc555

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2009, 03:38:09 AM »
So your one of those "old people" who are stuck listening to what they grew up to and can't adapt to music changing.It happens.

LONDON!!

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2009, 06:38:51 AM »
native tongues wern't bougie pussies

tribe ain't from the suburbs, there from a working class area in south jamaica, queens and they were street brothers aswell, you can work out the rest

de la are from the suburbs of long island new york, but they wern't no slouches neither, they have been known to slap up niggas that were out of line too, trust

you get the drift

i forgot about das efx-hold it down album
"get this money by any means nessassary"

LONDON!!

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
ok, thats fine and everyone is entilted to there opinon, thats cool, but i wern't saying de la were hardcore, just they ain't bougie pussies

but i personally can't listen to jungle brothers tunes wit africa bam bam on it, did you know he's a fag now, i mean, cross dressing out of the closet fagged out faggot, its crazy, until someone says those pictures of him are photo shopped i can't listen to him anymore

its sad, i thought he was for the cause, a revolutionary faggot, what the fuck is next, the world is fucked up right now, its crazy, thats some fucking sad shit, yes it is
"get this money by any means nessassary"

Jaydc555

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »
The fact you said new York fell off and only rate illmatic 03.5 is odd as its widely considered the greatest hip hop album ever made.And you don't even have it in your top 20.That's old man sydrome.

midwestryder

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2009, 01:42:13 PM »
The fact you said new York fell off and only rate illmatic 03.5 is odd as its widely considered the greatest hip hop album ever made.And you don't even have it in your top 20.That's old man sydrome.
no you are wrong because you are stuck in your era aka 90's  . chad vader has good taste & at least respects were most of the music came from.  without the 80's rappers there would be no 90's rappers . also just because you did not groww up on it & were too young to understand the 80's rap does not mean that is not just as good as those 90's classic . that is just you being a baised prick with a closemind   the old school built this. not the 90's.  the only thing chad vader did wrong was put queen latifah on the list because she is from jersey not new york .
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 03:04:41 PM by midwestryder »

Jaydc555

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2009, 01:48:19 PM »
I'm not stuck in any era.I still buy albums that come out today and I'm a fan of southern music.Just because they paved the way doesn't make it better music.The lyrics and production were far better in the 90s then the 80s.That's a fact.Doesn't mean I don't listen to music from the 80s because I do.Its just classic old man sydrome.

midwestryder

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »
I'm not stuck in any era.I still buy albums that come out today and I'm a fan of southern music.Just because they paved the way doesn't make it better music.The lyrics and production were far better in the 90s then the 80s.That's a fact.Doesn't mean I don't listen to music from the 80s because I do.Its just classic old man sydrome.
there is not such thing as old man sydrome &. just baised closeminded pricks who think there is . see your opinion even says you stuck in the 90's by saying lyrics and production were far better in the 90s then the 80s &  because they paved the way doesn't make it better music.. this just proves you are stuck in 90's realize the original old school better then any new school because without them their would be nothing at for you listen to . without rakim there would be no nas.  the original school is always the best not new school. anybody who uses the old man sydrome has no real respect at all .
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 03:08:20 PM by midwestryder »

Chad Vader

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »

In NO order..... and yeah can my parrot please have some chicken now?  :P

-Afrika Bambaataa and the Soulsonic Force
Planet Rock: The Album

-Run DMC;
Run-D.M.C (this was the first album (chronologically) to receive 5 Mics from The Source)

+
King of Rock

-BDP;
Criminal Minded

+
By Any Means Necessary

-Ultramagnetic MC's
Critical Beatdown

+
Funk Your Head Up

-Big Daddy Kane;
Long Live The Kane

-EPMD;
Strictly Business

+
Unfinished Business

-Master Ace;
Take A Look Around

-X Clan
To the East, Blackwards

-Queen Latifah
All Hail the Queen

-MC Lyte;
Lyte as a Rock

+
Eyes on This

-Kool G Rap & DJ Polo
Live & Let Die

OST
-Wild Style OST

-Lakim Shabazz
Pure Righteousness

-King Sun
Righteous but Ruthless

-Public Enemy
Yo! Bum Rush the Show

wild style ost?

did you look for the 20 oldest albums you could find from new york?

I grew up on those albums  ;) Born in 71,got into Hip Hop (music) in late 83  ;)
Any problems with that?

and yeah check the Wild Style movie and the OST....  ;) (CLASSIC!!!!)

Quiz;
Can you recognize who sampled parts from this clip;?
(clip from the Wild Style movie,they revealed the Nas part but who sampled the beat?)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ugQuetI2uvM&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ugQuetI2uvM&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Know Your Ledge  ;)

it's my favorites... ;)

yeah i didn't mean to come across as hating, i can just think of 10 other albums i prefer over that album is all

sure you can,but you ain't me  ;)
I (you) can pretty much see when cats got into Hip Hop trough their lists (and stopped caring  :P)
Saw that you mentioned ATCQ.... they got classics,but personally I hate them (and rest of the suburban ass Native Tongues)
For some reason I could not get into 90´s NYC sound.
I tried at the time,but nah..... I called it quits around "Breaking Atoms" (Main Source) and "Stunts,Blunts and Hip Hop" (DiamonD)
(thank god that the other regions picked up or else I would probably have stopped listening to Hip Hop).

I ain't ignorant,so I peep new shit,but can't say there's much that catch my ear  :-[

You don't rank illmatic

It's a classic,but only a 3.5 album in MY book  ;)

or 36 chambers

again a classic,but only a 3.5 in MY book  ;)

or ready to die in your top 20 from new York?
That's just fucking bizarre

Never cared for that pop ass,so no comment or rating.

So your one of those "old people" who are stuck listening to what they grew up to and can't adapt to music changing. It happens.

Nope,I just moved on to other regions and other Hip Hop generes.
Every artist,place and movement has it's time. I move on when they (IMO) fall off.
Let me ask you then,have you adapted to the ever changing styles of Hip Hop music?
It has gone from Hip Hop to Gangster Rap,Alternative rap,Mob Music,Bass,Bounce,Crunk,Hyphy,Snap and so on.
Are you up all that?
For those that know me here,know that I keep up..... so?  ;)

native tongues weren't boogie pussies
tribe ain't from the suburbs, there from a working class area in south Jamaica, queens and they were street brothers as well, you can work out the rest
DE la are from the suburbs of long island new york, but they weren't no slouches neither, they have been known to slap up niggers that were out of line too, trust
you get the drift

Well,I don't know about that (them being hardcore).
But then again who cares?
All I know is that I care about the music they produce.
At the time I kinda dug their shit.
Jungle Brothers first album is the shit.
Jungle Brothers- Straight out the Jungle
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0wVNPWWZIw&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/K0wVNPWWZIw&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>
Jungle Brothers-Because I Got It Like That
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jEOOhFTWmk0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jEOOhFTWmk0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

De La's first album is the shit too. Prince Paul went all out.
But shit their suburban asses dissed the hell out of Hip Hop and Gangster Rap.  :-[ :-X
Fuck,"De La Soul is Dead" is basicilly a anti gangster rap album.  :-[
De La Soul; Me Myself And I (you get the message  :P)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/e7PAkrbQScw&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/e7PAkrbQScw&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Other than a few cuts here and there,I can't stand Tribe.  :P :-[

The fact you said new York fell off and only rate illmatic 03.5 is odd as its widely considered the greatest hip hop album ever made.
And you don't even have it in your top 20.That's old man syndrome.

yes it is.  ;)
But the topic is;
your favorite 20 New York City rap albums?
 ;)

If the thread was called greatest NYC Hip Hop albums period. Then my list would probably look a little more like The Source magazines; (+- a few)

The Source's 5 Mic Albums (NYC albums in yellow)

Run-D.M.C. by Run-D.M.C. *
Radio by LL Cool J
Licensed to Ill by The Beastie Boys
Raising Hell by Run-D.M.C.
Criminal Minded by Boogie Down Productions *
Paid in Full by Eric B. & Rakim
Long Live the Kane by Big Daddy Kane *
By All Means Necessary by Boogie Down Productions *
Strictly Business by EPMD *
Straight Out the Jungle by The Jungle Brothers

Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A.

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back by Public Enemy
The Great Adventures of Slick Rick by Slick Rick
Critical Beatdown by Ultramagnetic MCs *

No One Can Do It Better by The D.O.C.
Grip It! On That Other Level by Geto Boys

People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm by A Tribe Called Quest
One For All by Brand Nubian
Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em by Eric B. & Rakim

AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted by Ice Cube

Breaking Atoms by Main Source
The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul Is Dead by De La Soul

Death Certificate by Ice Cube
The Chronic by Dr. Dre
Doggystyle by Snoop Doggy Dogg

Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan
Illmatic by Nas
Ready to Die by The Notorious B.I.G.

The Diary by Scarface

The Infamous by Mobb Deep
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx by Raekwon

Me Against the World by 2Pac

The Score by The Fugees
Reasonable Doubt by Jay-Z

All Eyez on Me by 2Pac

Life After Death by The Notorious B.I.G.

Aquemini by Outkast
The Chronic 2001 by Dr. Dre

Stillmatic by Nas
The Blueprint by Jay-Z

The Fix by Scarface

The Naked Truth by Lil Kim

Out of the 30 NYC albums on their list,give and take a few their list is pretty much on point when it comes to NYC.
I have 6 * (from their list) on mine,how many have you?

Related thread;
So what west coast albums is missing from The Source Magazines classic list? Poll,reviews,articles and what not.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 06:56:54 AM by Chad Vader »

Jaydc555

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »
LOL that's the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard in my life.Go sit the fuck down.Just because something came out first makes it better?Give Me a break.That doesn't make any sense at all.

midwestryder

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2009, 01:58:07 PM »
LOL that's the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard in my life.Go sit the fuck down.Just because something came out first makes it better?Give Me a break.That doesn't make any sense at all.
it would not make sense to someone who has no real true old school respect at all. 

Jaydc555

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2009, 02:02:27 PM »
I respect it but that doesn't mean its better.Rap evolved from the old school to more complex rhymes,more musical production etc.Compare the production of today to the 80s its not even close.Musically the 80s was simple.And rhymes?Compare some of the people now to then.Its not even close.Rakim was a one of a kind then.Nowadays theirs tons and tons of rappers that can spit sick shit.The 8 0s get its respect its the beginning.But that doesn't make it better.Your obviously stuck in the past.