Author Topic: Thoughts on the current state of hip hop?  (Read 1869 times)

mistershow

• Lil Geezy
Thoughts on the current state of hip hop?
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:22:15 AM »
I feel like everyone has lost sight of what hip hop is all about. Everyone is all caught up in the so-called “hip hop” lifestyle and this auto-tune crap. There are a few mainstream artists that I still have respect for like Jay-Z. Death of auto-tune is DOPE. Love how he speaks the truth. What are your thoughts on hip hop today?

IF NOT ME THEN WHO

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Thoughts on the current state of hip hop?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »
well i think hip hop is what it has always been. an evolving art form, and too me the lack of actual substance is bringing it closer to how it was when it began. so i think ( as much as we may hate it) is returning to its original form when it was all about rocking a party. i like many others enjoyed the evolution of hip hop that praised lyrics and contents, however that was just a phase and wasnt the way game started off. a hip hop a hip hop hippy to the bang bang boogie of the rythym of the boogie to beeeee.. lmao something like that.. but all in all i love hip hop

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »
Still love it.

IF NOT ME THEN WHO

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 03:36:58 PM »
Still love it.

in the spirit of your comment i present u with this lol enjoy it homie, it seems he feels the way we feel. thats y i fuck with dude music so tough. no matter how much of a box they try to put him in with that street,crip,gangsta shit, i can relate to him when he speaks on any subject in the world and its obvious he understands hip hop. in the form that we love it best

http://www.zshare.net/audio/64998009798f7bf0/

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 03:52:08 PM »

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »
Still love it.

in the spirit of your comment i present u with this lol enjoy it homie, it seems he feels the way we feel. thats y i fuck with dude music so tough. no matter how much of a box they try to put him in with that street,crip,gangsta shit, i can relate to him when he speaks on any subject in the world and its obvious he understands hip hop. in the form that we love it best

Nice track.

ThaRealSupreme

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 03:57:25 PM »
I was playin this at work today.

I've always fucked with underground music and the shit is the same to me. Never could really stick with the mainstream except for a few artists.

Still love it.

I
I stand before God when I say that I'm not a facade_Supreme

IF NOT ME THEN WHO

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 04:11:07 PM »
yea when i think about there arent many a list hip hop entertainers who were also a list lyricist. and not too many hit records have niggas spitting that shit on it that make you say damn!!!!! rewind that!!!!! u heard what he said? thats why eminem got so much props at first, cause even being super comercial he made you say   you hear what the fuck he said? 

she like to make a fool out me/
i love he doe/

even when she aint so lovable
i love her so/

im wid he fa evaer/you know
u neva know how love will go/

Blasphemy

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »
Mainstream hip-hop is a piece of shit. I don't listen 2 it, cause it sells out, its weakass, and the underground shit is way better.

Shove the radio play up their asses, i'd take a underground not often as heard mixtape over it. 8)

ThaRealSupreme

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 04:35:34 PM »
Mainstream hip-hop is a piece of shit. I don't listen 2 it, cause it sells out, its weakass, and the underground shit is way better.

Shove the radio play up their asses, i'd take a underground not often as heard mixtape over it. 8)

lol real talk
I stand before God when I say that I'm not a facade_Supreme

xxOHCxx

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 05:23:03 PM »
Most mainstream hip-hop is trash. It's just watered down ignorant crap that everyone can appeal too if they want to feel "gangsta." This whole "swag" thing needs to die already. I think a lot of times this is why new rappers from the west are pretty vocal about they're neighborhood/gang affiliation, because you have perpetrators everywhere outside the west trying to get rich off of the same credentials that they don't even have (Ie. Lil Wayne, Jim Jones) so the least they can do it be real about it. Back in the early/mid 90's people weren't checking for stuff like that because the sound on the west was just that different and sounded dangerous as hell. In a beef, who isn't gonna want to ride with the side that started real gangsta shit. Problem is, when it gets real, the status quo steps in to intervene and the watered down crap is what is allowable on television/radio.

acgrundy

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
considering the several unreleased tracks that wide awake recently put out were recorded back in the early 90's, and this music is the most excited I have been about any music dropping in over 5 years, I would say that pretty much sums up how I feel about the current state of hip hop.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 06:08:07 PM »
well i think hip hop is what it has always been. an evolving art form, and too me the lack of actual substance is bringing it closer to how it was when it began. so i think ( as much as we may hate it) is returning to its original form when it was all about rocking a party. i like many others enjoyed the evolution of hip hop that praised lyrics and contents, however that was just a phase and wasnt the way game started off. a hip hop a hip hop hippy to the bang bang boogie of the rythym of the boogie to beeeee.. lmao something like that.. but all in all i love hip hop

I more or less agree with you.

I love this hip-hop shit.  If soulja boy gets the crowd moving then that's the way it goes.  I ain't trying to listen to no raekown when i want to dance
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

IF NOT ME THEN WHO

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 06:19:48 PM »
point well taken

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 09:28:46 PM »
Hip Hop is fucking trash right now, mainstream Hip Hop that is. There is a few great artists that have merged in this new era (2000-present) but the majority is forgettable to complete trash.