Author Topic: Looking back, it's safe to say that Be was a 5/5 CLASSIC  (Read 1476 times)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
Re: Looking back, it's safe to say that Be was a 5/5 CLASSIC
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 07:57:38 AM »

that's perfectly fine but the next time someone says something about Common or the "Be" album just don't get all emotional if someone doesn't like it.  

but if u want me to sum it up [not completely] then I'll say that we live in a moraless society with little standards and a society that doesn't give a fuck about preaching unless you're getting paid to listen.  everybody's going their own direction and artist like Common go their own way and only so many people follow them.  the rest of the world already understands it but unless something changes drastically it'll always go in 1 ear and out the other.

you shouldnt need to type a screen play to get your point across fam...

you represent only a part of the rap demographic...the screen play writing fake track listing coogi wearing trendy dance step learning fraction of the rap listers and that album almost went plat so that disproves your whole post. in years to come that album will  be looked at as a classic and if he wouldnt have dropped the same year as kanye he would have had the album of that year.

if you wanna talk about passive disposable rap look no further then your own play list you really think in years to come ppl will be talking about waka? i seriously doubt it. with that said i like wakas album. its refreshing to hear music that so void of commercial material. which i ronically is one of the same reasons i love commons be.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 08:18:20 AM »
The "screenplay" wasn't even all about Common or "Be" so let's dead that right there (it was more or so an informative message as to why tha genre of hip hop isn't all that popular with the rest of society).  And if I represent only a small demographic (there u go assuming whut I like and listen to again) then it's safe to say that it isn't a Small part it's more like the Majority.  I don't know whut's got u all hot in tha pants this morning but u really need 2 calm tha fuck down.  And if "Be" was gonna be album of the year clearly it would've had a bigger social impact instead of being praised by the SMALL DEMOGRAPHIC of people it was praised by and more people (regardless of their preference of Hip Hop) would be more accepting of that album and it would still be ringing bells to this day, instead it's just held up high by backpack hip hop fans.  Say whut u want about Waka Flocka Flame but dude is doin way bigger things than u r and clearly has a lot more swagg than u have so u kan miss me with that bullshit right there.

And Bishop Lamont does make grown man music, it's just that every song he does doesn't have that "i have morals becuz I'm too serious" vibe to it.  It's all preference really, but as far as the subject at hand goes, "Be" is not a classic, if it wuz like I said it would've been integrated in society a lot more than it iz.  Like i've said b4, i know this is the world wide web but everybody isn't on the computer all tha time (it just appears that way becuz we live our lives attached to our computers).  

If all u c is Teenagers and 20-something year olds when u think about Hip Hop then you really need someone to open that azzhole up and fill it with somethin nasty.  I like Common, I like to hear positive messages, I don't always dance to songs, I don't like every jingle that comes out but I do love Good music and just becuz it's good to a particular demographic of fans doesn't mean it's the best.  Everybody liked "the chronic" in it's day, it's official that "Ready To Die" is a Hip Hop classic, it's official that "Doggystyle" is one of MUSIC's greatest records, but it's not certified that "Be" is any of that.  Don't get mad at the messenger.  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:23:21 AM by Loud Pack »

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 08:35:13 AM »
Common is dope and has shown he can switch it up but he always get hates when he wants to try something different.  I'm a fan of his music and tracks like G.O.D (Gaining One's Definition) hit home hard just like Bishop lamont's track like Everyday or Can't Figure It Out.  Both are dope artist. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 08:44:35 AM »
And Bishop Lamont does make grown man music, it's just that every song he does doesn't have that "i have morals becuz I'm too serious" vibe to it.  

yeah i think a lot of folks on here seem to think that a positive message with morals = grown man music and everything else = not

lemme tell you guys somethin, about a year ago 9th wonder used the phrase "grown man music" and you know what album he was describing? DEEPER THAN RAP

now if someone on here said that folks would tear us to pieces, aint that right? but it was 9th... so what do you folks make of that?

Paul

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 08:51:39 AM »
Great album. 8/10 for me.
funkyfreshintheflesh

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 08:55:48 AM »
Common is dope and has shown he can switch it up but he always get hates when he wants to try something different.  I'm a fan of his music and tracks like G.O.D (Gaining One's Definition) hit home hard just like Bishop lamont's track like Everyday or Can't Figure It Out.  Both are dope artist.  

I don't think Common gets "hated on", I just think that people don't really care.  Common is kinda 1 of those artist u can't get mad at unless dude starts poppin up with "i shot a nigga in tha face with ak47 becuz I'm hot" raps or "all bitches ain't shit one less bitch" music.  Common's a soul brotha, it's kinda hard 2 hate him or dislike anything he does/puts out.  

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 09:14:29 AM »
And for the record "Go" is my shit, that shit ain't gon' fade no time soon.  So plz don't take my criticism as haterizm lol.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 09:18:37 AM »
Grown man shit right there.

kemizt

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 06:09:59 PM »
Common is dope and has shown he can switch it up but he always get hates when he wants to try something different.  I'm a fan of his music and tracks like G.O.D (Gaining One's Definition) hit home hard just like Bishop lamont's track like Everyday or Can't Figure It Out.  Both are dope artist.  

I don't think Common gets "hated on", I just think that people don't really care.  Common is kinda 1 of those artist u can't get mad at unless dude starts poppin up with "i shot a nigga in tha face with ak47 becuz I'm hot" raps or "all bitches ain't shit one less bitch" music.  Common's a soul brotha, it's kinda hard 2 hate him or dislike anything he does/puts out.  

I disagree.  In my time I've seen people hate on him for both Universal Mind Control & Electric Circus.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »

I disagree.  In my time I've seen people hate on him for both Universal Mind Control & Electric Circus.

well they're just haters then.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 07:05:39 PM »

Those albums were cool but just were a different vibe then his earlier work.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 10:20:40 PM »

well they're just haters then.

umc is the biggest pile of shit ive ever heard, and i like common

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 06:08:46 AM »
grown man music means nothing more then music that everyone and anyone can relate to...no over the top thug posturing but that dont mean theres no thug messages or stories in the music.

i consider artists like big krit and david banner to make grown man music and he did 9mm and all kinds of other ignorant stuff...but when you listen to mississippi the album you also here a lot of politically charged material etc.

its all about balance...grown man music is a reflection of real life and music like gucci and waka are a reflection of a small percentage of ppls real lifes.

Paul

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 09:30:28 AM »
^^ good point.
funkyfreshintheflesh

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 10:36:29 AM »
grown man music is a reflection of real life and music like gucci and waka are a reflection of a small percentage of ppls real lifes.

1st off.... People like u are going OVER BOARD with all of these GucciMane/BrickSquad references... it's really pathetic.

2nd.... That's really all they talk about is shit that happens in tha street, but people like u wouldn't know that becuz most of the music you ever get 2 hear u get from this forum, the radio, and tv.  i'm sorry guy, but until you're ready to admit that you were wrong about 99% of rappers from tha south that appear on tha outside to be mainstream but really aren't then all of your negative comments about them are revoked.  I'm not sayin that they put out the best material the world has ever heard but if u can get down with all of tha CLASSIC west coast/east coast/down south hip hop (like Doggystyle for example) then there's just no reason whutsover that you can't get down with BrickSquad or anybody else that you're sleepin' on..... on 2 tha nex 1