Author Topic: It Is Illegal To Celebrate Christmas in Saudi Arabia  (Read 2267 times)

CWalker187

It Is Illegal To Celebrate Christmas in Saudi Arabia
« on: December 27, 2002, 02:06:24 PM »
Remember folks, Saudi Arabia is a "friend" of the US.A

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20021222_1372.html

Saudi Christmas Is a Hidden Affair
A Saudi Christmas Is a Hidden, Whispered Affair, Where Islam Is Only Accepted Religion

The Associated Press

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia Dec. 22 —
Past the stuffed animals and congratulatory baby baskets, sprigs of plastic evergreens are tucked in among the silk flowers. The rows of ribbon include a few spools of reds, golds and greens, and two half-empty boxes of blown-glass Christmas tree ornaments sit partly obscured on a nearby shelf.

As evinced by the atmosphere in this Riyadh gift shop, Christmas is mostly hidden in this desert kingdom, where Islam is the only accepted religion.

Expatriate workers hold discreet holiday parties within walled compounds, out of sight of the government's religious police, who guard against offenses to the faith. For many other foreigners, the anniversary of Christ's birth is a private day of reflection.

"I only pray in my room," said a Roman Catholic laborer from Sri Lanka, noting there is little else to do to celebrate Christmas.

Some embassies, he said, organize gatherings for their citizens during the holiday season, but generally not on Christmas Day to avoid offending Saudi sensibilities.

Saudi Arabia, as the birthplace of Islam, is charged with protecting the faith's holiest shrines at Mecca and Medina, and differing beliefs, like new ideas, are carefully guarded against as threats to the culture, traditions and official religion.

Churches are not permitted "freedom of religion does not exist," a recent State Department report said about Saudi Arabia though some expatriates gather privately throughout the year for religious services.

It is not that way everywhere in the Middle East. In the neighboring Persian Gulf state of Bahrain, luxury hotels are decorated with brightly lit trees and poinsettias, and signs advertise Christmas meals. At the Holiday Inn, strains of "Silver Bells" and "White Christmas" waft through the lobby.

Christmas trees are sold in the Yemeni capital of San'a and in expatriate neighborhoods of Cairo. Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak declared last week that Jan. 7 when the country's minority Orthodox Coptic Christians celebrate Christmas was a holiday for all Egyptians.

In Lebanon and Syria, with substantial Christian populations, Christmas is celebrated openly in all its religious and commercial glory and even some Muslims go Christmas shopping just to see the holiday fanfare.

But in Riyadh, the mere mention of Christmas leads many expatriates to lower their voices and fidget, fearful of unwanted attention or risking their jobs. Just buying a Christmas card requires a whispered journey into a greeting card underworld.

At the Riyadh gift shop where a few festive decorations were tucked in among other goods, a Filipino employee shakes his head when asked about Christmas cards. But he gives directions to another shop, advising an inquirer to look for the Filipino manager.

"He'll give you one in secret ... secret because it's 'haram' here, you know," he says, using the Arabic word for "forbidden" known to anyone who has run afoul of conservative Islamic social norms.

At another card shop, an Indian employee reaches beneath the counter to pull out a half-dozen religious and secular Christmas cards, his eyes darting around his empty shop and out the window.

There would be trouble if caught: "They ask where you got them," he says. The ever-vigilant religious police have confiscated cards in the past, he said, and have even been known to haul shopkeepers away to be questioned about where they got such materials.

Clearly relieved once he is able to tuck the purchases into a paper bag and staple it shut, he points to a less offensive "Seasons Greetings" card, discreetly visible beside the cash register.

At $1.35, they're half the price of the Christmas cards, and half the risk.

photo credit and caption: Filipinos living and working in Saudi Arabia crowd a card shop in a Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, market Friday, Dec. 20, 2002. Such stores in the conservative Islamic kingdom don't openly display Christmas cards in their racks out of fear for the powerful religious police. As Christmas approaches, expatriates quietly ask foreign store managers to show them what is available. (AP Photo/Hasan Jamali)

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Quakaveli

Re:It Is Illegal To Celebrate Christmas in Saudi Arabia
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 02:33:23 PM »
DAMN YO, thanks for reminding me bout the EXTREME INTOLERANCE OF ISLAMIC NATIONS! And lets remember Saudi Arabia is one of the "better countries" LOL  :-X

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2002, 04:52:44 PM »
Everyone should have the freedom to practice their religion.

This is bullshit and repressive.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2002, 05:24:53 PM »

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2002, 05:42:11 PM »
Some of these muslim ran countries are still in the dark ages.  

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2002, 05:44:54 PM »

verbalassaulta

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2002, 06:56:47 PM »
lol...90 % of muslims are still in the dark ages..

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2002, 07:07:58 PM »

funny how you kkno all the stats :o ::)

jav

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2002, 05:44:04 AM »

aye bro, are you fucking dumb or acting? fuck your a stupid cunt, i feel sorry for you, like get some education,

and CWalker187 so what if u cant celebrate christmas in an 'islamic' country? whats it to you? i mean like your not suffering or anything you dumb faggot. why dont you handle ur own business instead of being a dreamer or a pastor and feeling other peoples pain; who probably dont even give a shit aboutchu, u cant change the world with ur rascist thoughts faggot, grow up and get the fuck out of the rock and make peace with everyone else, oh shit better yet go get your fagoot ass off the computer and get a job and live your life, and go to church and pray for people who cant have christmas or someshit... your a dreamer.. Next Hitler on our way.. Exit: Cwalker187 Enter: Hitlerwalker187

fucking faggot

and by the way Merry Xmas to the christains out there and have a happy safe new year dont get 2 drunk silly peeps.. im out PeAcE

verbalassaulta

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2002, 06:45:20 AM »
bitch i got years more education than your ass...( i got a bs)....so you can cut that shit out...i just threw out that number....but really most muslims still live in the stone age

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2002, 10:44:45 AM »
bitch i got years more education than your ass...( i got a bs)....so you can cut that shit out...i just threw out that number....but really most muslims still live in the stone age

and still you claim that you're an educated man :-\

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2002, 12:01:55 PM »

Just because U have a degree dun mean yur educated buddy......U might be booksmart but judging by yur posts, U gotta step up socially......

CWalker, Sccit, Anus Quake, and VerbalAssaulta all = Anti-Muslim. Period.

I dunno why we concern ourselves wit em when we post here......I mean in this case just because tha stupid Saudi Arabian Government which no Real Muslims agree wit banned people celebrating Christmas......Now these Racist ass muthafucaz all step up sayin All Muslims are dumbasses livin in da Dark Ages......Well FUC U White Boy......All White Boyz is still racist, forget tha 60s, 90% of em still got that KKK Mentality......How's dat? Stupid muthafucaz, Get off yo Nerdy asses off that chair and move yo eyes away from CNN.com for just an hour and Socialize more and get to know tha real people including tha real muslims on tha streets......Yall is what's wrong wit this world. GOT EM!!!

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Pillow

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2002, 12:14:57 PM »

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2002, 12:56:18 PM »
it surprises and shocks you that christmas is banned in saudi arabia?

understand several things...

Saudi Arabia is the birth place of Islam, and the site of Mecca and Medina. It is the most "fundementalist" muslim country in the world.
Obviously, that shouldnt shock yall. Now, christmas is the celebration of Jesus aka God's birth. That very idea is offensive to Muslims, now tell me why the Saudi Arabian govt doesnt have a right to ban the celebration of what muslims consider heresy?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2002, 12:56:36 PM »
As my man  Jay ay Beee said:

I agree.

Another thing, I dont beleive it says anything against celebrating chrtismas in the Qu'ran, which means these people claiming to be muslims, arent really muslims.

but really most muslims still live in the stone age

Wrong, I was brought up in Dubai, U.A.E[Its a part of the middle east if you dont know], and its far more advanced than you think.  

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...