Author Topic: A Holiday Message from Ricky Gervais: Why I'm An Atheist  (Read 2476 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: A Holiday Message from Ricky Gervais: Why I'm An Atheist
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 09:15:53 AM »
Shallow I read your first couple of posts, how an atheist wouldn't know how to explain evolution. But the same can be said for a lot of people and their religion. A lot of people don't know why they do the things they do. Give something up for 40 days? (Or however many days it is.) What is that going to do for you? These people only believe it because it's all they've known since they were a child. They just repeat what their parents say and don't really follow the word of the bible. A lot of these people feel like you are attacking them when you question them. When in actuality I question them to gain a better understanding of their beliefs.

My whole point is atheists and theists are very similar with their beliefs and how they cannot explain them. I never said otherwise. And I never said Christians in general can better explain their beliefs. They can't. The difference is that atheists play the "I'm smarter than you" card but can't back it up. Christians play the moral card usually, and they usually don't back it up either.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 09:56:24 AM »
Shallow I read your first couple of posts, how an atheist wouldn't know how to explain evolution. But the same can be said for a lot of people and their religion. A lot of people don't know why they do the things they do. Give something up for 40 days? (Or however many days it is.) What is that going to do for you? These people only believe it because it's all they've known since they were a child. They just repeat what their parents say and don't really follow the word of the bible. A lot of these people feel like you are attacking them when you question them. When in actuality I question them to gain a better understanding of their beliefs.

My whole point is atheists and theists are very similar with their beliefs and how they cannot explain them. I never said otherwise. And I never said Christians in general can better explain their beliefs. They can't. The difference is that atheists play the "I'm smarter than you" card but can't back it up. Christians play the moral card usually, and they usually don't back it up either.

Not really. Evolution is fairly easy to explain considering we all learned about it in grade school.

I'd also like to point out that the two people you've mentioned so far, Al Gore and Leonardo Dicaprio are both theists.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 10:45:10 AM »

Not really. Evolution is fairly easy to explain considering we all learned about it in grade school.

I'd also like to point out that the two people you've mentioned so far, Al Gore and Leonardo Dicaprio are both theists.

So then break it down, cell by cell and explain it to me. Tell me what causes what in the process, and how science came to each conclusion. What you learned in grade school was the result of what science found. You never learned the science. And to even think it could be taught in grade school, to children, shows how little you understand about evolution and science.