Author Topic: Laylaw Discusses His History With Dr. Dre, 2Pac, Ghost-Producing Cali Love Remix  (Read 2202 times)

bouli77

I don't see many people hating on dre on this thread. a couple called him a fraud but that's it. if asking legitimate questions and making observations is hating then damn we're all haters to some extent lol.

if anything, u're the one hating on his collaborators like Scott Storch.

Ski's response is appreciated but doesn't take away the testimonies made by other people who have worked with him. everybody's entitled to their opinions, and Ski's is credible but so are some of the observations made by countless others.

granted Dre is responsible for many long careers. but that's not solely due to his production skills. it's also due to the way he conducts business, his ability to capitalize on his popularity to create anticipation for the artists under his umbrella. in short, Dre's career making skills (lol) owe a lot to marketing savvy too.

not being able to create stars doesn't make you a worthless producer. you know a producer's first task is to produce good music. whether it sells or not depends on a lot of factors. and Dre's stroke of genius (other than his evident musical ear and producing/mixing talent) is his ability to arouse people's excitement about his upcoming projects. the way he shaped and reshaped his image are important factors in his success. so this image of a minute producer serious about his craft overshadows the fact that a lot are involved in the process. for example many say that the piano sound that Dre's so famous for comes actually from Scott Storch who was his keyboardist during the 2001 era.

the point i'm trying to make is that everything that's being said about Dre not producing his music/stealing beats is over-exaggerated, however, dismissing his other (former) producers' work is as exaggerated. just because they didn't meet commercial success doesn't mean their music is trash. they're not mere minions and they've pretty much all proven they can musically hold their own. when i say pretty much all i mean : Yella, Big Hutch, Chris The Glove Taylor, Colin Wolfe, Warren G, Daz, Sean Barney Thomas, Bud'da, Sam Sneed, Scott Storch, Focus. I don't know about Mel-Man (i liked I Pledge Allegiance on Nate's Music & Me though) and the others though.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:24:29 AM by bouli77 »

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I agree that a lot of light is shedding on the real dre

Lmao @ dre being a cheerleader in high school
see homie that's how niggas get mislead by pure hate...he never once said dre was a "cheerleader"..Dre was a b-boy(BREAK DANCER ,pop locker)which is all part of hip hop...don't start making shit up..stay focus on the subject cuzz...not trying to  break ya balls,but damn my nigga u reaching deep. :-\

Stan

^^^ wow ... don't put words in my mouth.  Storch is great, I love him, but his beats aren't nearly as good as the ones he's made with Dre.  I was talking about how the first poster said DRE had to be one of the biggest frauds then someone else said all he's done is taken the best beats from other producers ALL his career ....

Sorry, I don't buy it.  If these guys are so worried about it (obviously not as much as we are) then why do they give him their stuff?  Plain and simple he can take it to the next level that's it!!  We're goin in circles now.  

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Yup^^^ ... On another note I heard the Mel-Man track from the The Wash featuring Ox.  Bringing it up cuz Bad Azz mentioned The Wash.  That was Mel-Man solo and guess what!  That song was WACK as fuck!  You can hear the 2001 elements in it but something is missing ... its clear but it just doesn't bang like a Dre track.  I bet Dre could've made that one way better but what's the point... if makes it better he's robbing people right  ::)
If that's what he does (I don't know) then so be it.  Takes a B- track and makes it A+ who gives a fuck?!  All these people complaining have never made A+ tracks consistently without Dre.  Storch makes some bangers with already established artists but I've never seen him and his team makes stars ... just like the other people complaining

I'll give Timbo and Neptunes credit though of course on career longevity and $$$
naw dude that mel-track was banging.ox brought the pain to that track...where he at???

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
That melman track on the wash was indeed ass. So were the songs he did for truth hurts.

But what about the "gangsta" joint he did for joe beast? Tell me he didn't fool you into thinkin that was dre...
That joe track was nasty!!damn!!where he at???

Triple OG Rapsodie

My understanding is that Dre is rather a dope mixer than a dope producer. Don't make me saying what I didn't say, he can produce as well, but it's like a lot of times he ACTUALLY take someone else's songs & add some instrument, or some effect, etc which MAKE those songs sounded dope. Therefore IMO some of them entourage saying this or that like a Cold187um, Daz, I mean u know, shits like taking credit from other's work.

Do you know what a producer is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_producer

A producer is the person responsible for the final sound of the product. Dre is a producer in every sense of the word.

What's ironic is that you will take credit away from Dre when it's not like Hutch or Daz were coming up with original instrumentals. So why are you giving credit to these guys for pulling out samples? If you're going to talk about beatmakers, shouldn't you be giving credit to the person who made the sample? 95% of hip hop is taking some oldass song and adding shit to it to make it bump. Isn't that what Dre does?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:32:33 PM by SPICE "He my baby daddy" 2 »

Jimmy H.

It's the fraud thing that doesn't wash. The game is too competitive for people like Just Blaze, Timbaland, DJ Quik, or anyone else that rightfully could be holding Dre's spot to bow down and call him "the greatest" if he's nothing more than a good mixer who jacks other people's shit. I mean, even the people who didn't get their credit on some of those tracks, are saying Dre is a great producer so you have to put two and two together.

Stan

A producer is the person responsible for the final sound of the product. Dre is a producer in every sense of the word.

What's ironic is that you will take credit away from Dre when it's not like Hutch or Daz were coming up with original instrumentals. So why are you giving credit to these guys for pulling out samples? If you're going to talk about beatmakers, shouldn't you be giving credit to the person who made the sample?

Yea no kidding.  I read all this bickering about producing Doggystyle and how warren g or daz brought the sample for ain't no fun.  Who gives a fuck!!!  Wow I can rip off a couple of samples and add some kicks to it.  Look at Kanye... He is the king of sampling and he is a dope producer right?

2euce 7even

very dope thread that 2pac part is nuts. 8)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace

My understanding is that Dre is rather a dope mixer than a dope producer. Don't make me saying what I didn't say, he can produce as well, but it's like a lot of times he ACTUALLY take someone else's songs & add some instrument, or some effect, etc which MAKE those songs sounded dope. Therefore IMO some of them entourage saying this or that like a Cold187um, Daz, I mean u know, shits like taking credit from other's work.

Do you know what a producer is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_producer

What's ironic is that you will take credit away from Dre when it's not like Hutch or Daz were coming up with original instrumentals. So why are you giving credit to these guys for pulling out samples? If you're going to talk about beatmakers, shouldn't you be giving credit to the person who made the sample? 95% of hip hop is taking some oldass song and adding shit to it to make it bump. Isn't that what Dre does?
yeah, since when is bringing break beats and samples, producing

One2free

• Muthafuckin' OG
^^well, its alright though lol, don't get upset because y'all dig Dre guys.

So, your saying is that "How coming with the sample or the structure of the beat should give u credits" now, Dre did just mix a thing or 2, and that alone should give him 90% credit, wait no, entire credit as in booklets?

I don't agree for real, somehow, I understand where those who did like complain coming from.

Until he remade everything from track he was given, I don't understand how adding an instrument or remade that one should give him THE credit for the final song.

Just imagine YOU often coming with dope structure beats that you works ur ass to find it, & next dude saying wait, Im adding this, slowing that, & take credits for it ?
ok im exagerating, but just to get an idea u know
I mean

wait, lol nevermind just look out for detox right

Triple OG Rapsodie

Just imagine YOU often coming with dope structure beats that you works ur ass to find it, & next dude saying wait, Im adding this, slowing that, & take credits for it ?

But they didn't come up with it. They ripped it off of some P-Funk song from the 70s. According to your logic, if Dre doesn't get credit for not originating every part of the song, then neither should the people who brought him the samples.

GangstaBoogy

That's the thing, I doubt if these dudes are that upset over not being credited for finding a sample. I mean shit I've never read the credits to an album and saw "sample found by..."

My guess is these dudes basically make the beats and dre comes in and, as snoop puts it, takes them "to another level". I'm sure they enjoy working with a legend but not being credited for your work has to suck.

"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Jimmy H.

I guess you could liken it to all these screenwriters who do "polishes" or "uncredited rewrites" on big Hollywood scripts.

But there's also a lot of ideas that go into making a record. If you oversaw the whole song conceptually, I can understand you being pissed about not getting a producer credit but just making a beat that someone else came along and switched up completely, I don't know. To me, that's like comparing a garage band's demo version of a song to the one they make in a big studio with a producer enhancing everything. But again... every situation is different. Maybe some of these dudes did get ganked without compensation but on the other hand, maybe they're overplaying their role. Who's to say?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
^^well, its alright though lol, don't get upset because y'all dig Dre guys.

So, your saying is that "How coming with the sample or the structure of the beat should give u credits" now, Dre did just mix a thing or 2, and that alone should give him 90% credit, wait no, entire credit as in booklets?

I don't agree for real, somehow, I understand where those who did like complain coming from.

Until he remade everything from track he was given, I don't understand how adding an instrument or remade that one should give him THE credit for the final song.

I mean

wait, lol nevermind just look out for detox right
im not upset. i like dre's music, yes. does that make me biased? i could accuse you of the same thing.
i just don't see the point of accepting allcrap.com stories as facts.
That's the thing, I doubt if these dudes are that upset over not being credited for finding a sample. I mean shit I've never read the credits to an album and saw "sample found by..."

My guess is these dudes basically make the beats and dre comes in and, as snoop puts it, takes them "to another level". I'm sure they enjoy working with a legend but not being credited for your work has to suck.
dre works with musicians, together they make the beat.