Author Topic: DOC starts his return to the top  (Read 1691 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: DOC starts his return to the top
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 01:42:40 AM »
Oh it definetely raises questions. Especially with DOC because of what happened with Ruthless / Death Row after NOCDIB dropped. For all we know Doggystyle could've been his sophmore album.

Damn now that's something to think about...

Doggystyle is a Snoop album....

jaytee

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 02:58:06 AM »
Ehhh I don't like the Penny Hardaway comparison.  He's more like Jerry West.  1 Championship (Classic) as a player, but a key contributor to more championships behind the scenes.  He's unsung hero for the most part.

In my eyes, DOC is a Hip-Hop great.  I'm not saying he's on the Mount Rushmore of Hip-Hop, but it definitely wouldn't be the same without him. 

Overall, it was a good article.  I'm glad that the DOC and the Doctor are willing to put the nonsense in the past and move forward.  I'm really hoping that the surgery will be a success and that his voice will be restored.  I'm sure that DOC could have another classic in him if he could tell his own story that is 20+ years in the making.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 03:19:05 AM »
Why should DOC be considered one of Hip Hop's greats? Because of 1 classic album?

Dude is the Penny Hardaway of rap. Yes they were amazing when they were younger but injuries plagued their careers.

To me DOC, Big Pun, and other guys like that can't be considered greats because they didn't deliver enough material (which I know sounds harsh since it was through no faults of their own). But its not fair to a guy like Nas who had to fight his whole career and release several dope albums to be considered great to be in the same class with guys who dropped 1 classic then that was all.

"What if" stories are always entertaining but never valid. 

lmao,
so if Nas wouldve died or lost his voice, after the release of "Illmatic" - he wouldnt been one of the greatest?
btw, Big L only released one album.. i guess hes not 1 of the greats either..

gtfoh

bouli77

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 03:47:02 AM »
Terrible article, well-written but way too much ass-licking. I hate when journalists are infatuated with the person they write about. Sounds like something a PR would write for his artist. HipHopDx does it a lot too, no matter how informative and well-written their articles are, they're always doing too much in favor of the artist, like they're all the GOATs or whatnot.

The D.O.C. is a legend in some ways, but dude is way too egotistic and very overrated IMO (and def not underrated like he's said to be too many times). His first album is no doubt a classic and it has been embraced as such by the whole hip-hop community, and it went platinum. Granted he knows about song structure and he rhymed like crazy, but since then, it's not like the songs he's helped pen are lyrical gems. Dude is giving himself too much importance. He's a pioneer and all but the lyrics in Doggystyle or 2001 (which he most of the time oversaw, not really wrote) are clearly the weakest aspects of those albums. Much respect to his legacy nonetheless.

West$ide Boi

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • 'Women, Weed & Weather'
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 04:05:19 AM »
cool interview

Sccit

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 04:07:28 AM »
Oh it definetely raises questions. Especially with DOC because of what happened with Ruthless / Death Row after NOCDIB dropped. For all we know Doggystyle could've been his sophmore album.

talk about goin over ur head lmao

Sccit

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 04:12:36 AM »
Ehhh I don't like the Penny Hardaway comparison.  He's more like Jerry West.  1 Championship (Classic) as a player, but a key contributor to more championships behind the scenes.  He's unsung hero for the most part.

In my eyes, DOC is a Hip-Hop great.  I'm not saying he's on the Mount Rushmore of Hip-Hop, but it definitely wouldn't be the same without him. 

Overall, it was a good article.  I'm glad that the DOC and the Doctor are willing to put the nonsense in the past and move forward.  I'm really hoping that the surgery will be a success and that his voice will be restored.  I'm sure that DOC could have another classic in him if he could tell his own story that is 20+ years in the making.

much better comparison. penny hardaway would be more like hittman or something. showed major promise, potential to deliver classics (titles), but flamed out before he ever got the chance.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 04:51:17 AM »

Yeah, he raps on it.

The_Ripper

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 05:42:12 AM »
DOC had a kid with Badu? I never knew that

nobody knows how the fuck is possible
If you get in a fight, and somebody yells “worldstar”. You better fight for your life.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 10:42:52 AM »
Why should DOC be considered one of Hip Hop's greats? Because of 1 classic album?

Dude is the Penny Hardaway of rap. Yes they were amazing when they were younger but injuries plagued their careers.

To me DOC, Big Pun, and other guys like that can't be considered greats because they didn't deliver enough material (which I know sounds harsh since it was through no faults of their own). But its not fair to a guy like Nas who had to fight his whole career and release several dope albums to be considered great to be in the same class with guys who dropped 1 classic then that was all.

lmao,
so if Nas wouldve died or lost his voice, after the release of "Illmatic" - he wouldnt been one of the greatest?

gtfoh

Big L isn't one of the greats. And Nobody Does It Better isn't on the level of illmatic.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 11:19:08 AM »

lmao,

gtfoh

Big L isn't one of the greats. And Nobody Does It Better isn't on the level of illmatic.

...go sit in the corner ;)

Sccit

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 02:11:57 PM »
LOL...this spice none guy is on some newbie shit when it comes to hip-hop

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 02:20:45 PM »
Do you really believe No One Can Do It Better is on the level of illmatic?

Sccit

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 02:23:26 PM »

a classic is a classic. the album is a 5/5. do u even know what that did for west coast hip-hop?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 02:27:18 PM »

a classic is a classic. the album is a 5/5. do u even know what that did for west coast hip-hop?

Nothing? The DOC isn't a west coast rapper.