Author Topic: Were Daz's AEOM beats actually DJ Quik beats?  (Read 1948 times)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Re: Were Daz's AEOM beats actually DJ Quik beats?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 06:54:41 AM »
daz was actually a great producer back then and anyone who thinks he couldn't produce anything on the level of aeom should listen to dogg food.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 07:36:54 AM »
quik brought the tracks to life. whether you want to call that production or not (i would, it's the dre thing again) is up for debate...but quik mixed/engineered all of that first disc pretty much. he even talked about having parts replayed, in the short space of time those records were mixed.

Doing finishes to tracks still only deserves an additional production credit if that IMO (unless you're dre, then u just take full credit)

not saying daz doesn't deserve the main credit as beat maker, just that quik's input as 'mixer/engineer' drastically impacted the final sound.

so, to the OPs question - no they aren't quiks beats, but perhaps that's the wrong queston to be asking.

'how do u want it' is interesting because there's the earlier 2nd ii none track with the exact same sample and sounding very similar. that one seems to be more than a coincidence, though it isn't one of the daz tracks he's talking about.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Quik improved Johnny J's work either. Johnny J was a consistently good producer, but once again, the AEOM tracks outshine most of his other work. Is Quik responsible for taking them from good to great? It would make sense.

As for the producer of Daz's beats, I can see how they might start with a simple Daz beat and then be elevated by Quik's touches...but I still doubt that I Aint Mad At Cha is a Daz beat. It sounds nothing like any of Daz's other beats. Does Daz listen to DeBarge? We know Quik listens to DeBarge. And Quik was working a lot with Danny Boy.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

bouli77

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 07:54:52 AM »

As for the producer of Daz's beats, I can see how they might start with a simple Daz beat and then be elevated by Quik's touches...but I still doubt that I Aint Mad At Cha is a Daz beat. It sounds nothing like any of Daz's other beats. Does Daz listen to DeBarge? We know Quik listens to DeBarge. And Quik was working a lot with Danny Boy.

Soopafly confirmed on this very forum that Daz & him had produced I ain't mad at cha, what more do you need ? DeBarge's song is a standard, and Daz was a beatmaker, so by essence, a cratedigger although he didn't sample a lot compared to most producers. Daz sampling DeBarge is nothing extraordinary or unbelievable. As for Danny Boy, you got a point, but Danny Boy was always with Pac so maybe he was the singer around or maybe Pac wanted him on this particular record, who knows.

If Quik had produced I ain't mad at cha, or if he has had actually more input than he's credited, this would have leaked by now... Danny Boy isn't exactly friends with DPG and has done interviews in which he tells his side of the story, if Daz didn't really produce I Ain't Mad At Cha I'm sure Danny Boy would have talked about it in interviews, and Quik too, the way he broke down his involvement on Skandalouz.

edit : the link to the thread where soopafly says daz & him produced I ain't mad cha

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=272056.msg2748881#msg2748881

Quote from: soopaflydpgc
no those two songs had no affiliation. daz n myself did i aint mad atcha. theres no sample. i played it over. its an interpolation of the debarge song of course. no teddy riley didnt do these days either. daz n myself did.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:05:11 AM by bouli77 »

Matty

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 08:06:10 AM »
i don't think classing quik is a 'musician' over 'beatmaker' is the best way to think about his work. he's a more musically inclined producer/engineer. producing is a form of musicianship in itself, like being a composer. same reason dre is a master producer despite being less hands on with the musical side of things. being able to be hands on musically has its advantages but its all about the end result. quiks musical abilities constantly come through in his production, but he still uses musicians, he's still being a producer.

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 08:22:14 AM »
Dat Nigga Daz produced the beats for AEOM but DJ Quik mixed the album and arranged almost every songs.
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
If somebody was helpin' Daz with the beats, it was Soopafly.
Kurupt did say in an interview that while Daz did most of the work on Ambitionz az a Ridah, Soopafly did help, and add that violin-sounding element between the beats.

bouli77

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 10:05:56 AM »
Kurupt did say in an interview that while Daz did most of the work on Ambitionz az a Ridah, Soopafly did help, and add that violin-sounding element between the beats.

Soopafly co-produced every beat Daz touched on All Eyez On Me, he got paid under the table by Daz and didn't get the credit.

http://www.tupac-online.com/News/0-560-00.html

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 10:15:07 AM »
I always thought that skandalouz beat was ridiculous. One of my favorites.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

bouli77

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 10:24:40 AM »

it's been my personal favorite AEOM song the moment I listened to the album.

BIGWORM

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »
Man I love the way DAZ dips in and out of threads. Respect to him for even taking the time to post up. My issue is with the DAZ haters on this site. Ya'll sour at him I understand but wtf you need to keep blasting him with bullshit from some cd's that never got sent out. You dudes ruin it for the rest of us the Daz fans that want to hear what he has to say about his work or previous west coast info he might share with us.

Okka

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »

Soopafly co-produced every beat Daz touched on All Eyez On Me, he got paid under the table by Daz and didn't get the credit.

http://www.tupac-online.com/News/0-560-00.html

Soopafly also said that when he makes beats, usually Daz is involved in makin' them, even if he isn't credited and vice versa.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »

Yeah, I had to get the instrumental for that shit. Sick.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

MOBNigga06

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 07:19:25 PM »

Word! Skandalouz is a west coast classic. The beat is perfect and Pac just ripped it. Such a cool vibe to the track, I feel like it really captures the spirit of Pac's first couple months out of jail. 

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Sccit

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 07:24:21 PM »
I DISAGREE..I MEAN, SURE, QUIK HAD HIS HAND IN SHIT, BUT DAZ WAS THE MAN BEHIND THOSE BEATS...SKANDALOUZ SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE ON DOGG FOOD, EASILY

MOBNigga06

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
I DISAGREE..I MEAN, SURE, QUIK HAD HIS HAND IN SHIT, BUT DAZ WAS THE MAN BEHIND THOSE BEATS...SKANDALOUZ SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE ON DOGG FOOD, EASILY

Nah, man, Dogg Food has a real 'dark' vibe to it. It's a great album, but it's a night time album. Skandalouz has the California sun embedded in the beat, that's a day time song.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.