Author Topic: Suge Knight: Kendrick Lamar and Game Have Two of the Worst Deals  (Read 2065 times)

aerroc

Ex Death Row CEO says Compton rappers are "slaves" to Interscope Records.

Kendrick Lamar and Game have more in common than being from Compton. Both rappers are signed to Interscope Records and, according to Suge Knight's latest interview, both are locked into "two of the worst deals in the industry."

The always outspoken ex-music mogul shared his opinion on the subject of shady business deals during an appearance on The Arsenio Hall Show Tuesday (Feb. 18). "If you look at Interscope, the two guys from Compton got two of the worst deals in the industry," Knight said.

He went on to outline exactly how many benefactors get paid from Game's label deal. "What people don't realize is Universal [Music Group] is the ship, then Aftermath get they cut, then G-Unit get they cut, then the guy who really have Game signed [gets a cut] then it came to Game."

In Lamar's case, "the guy who put the deal together" gets a portion of the 26-year-old rapper's earnings in addition to Interscope and other label-related payees, Knight claimed. "In reality [it's] more slavery now than ever," he continued. "When you was a slave you like 's--t it's bad,' but it's worse when somebody makes you be a celebrity ... and you're thanking a person for like stabbing you in the back. Period."

Knight is well-versed in the area of bad business dealings. As Death Row's founder and former CEO, the 48-year-old built a reputation for intimidation tactics (like allegedly dangling Vanilla Ice over a balcony) and has watched his once profitable imprint crumble over the years. Death Row was once home to West Coast heavy hitters Tupac Shakur, Dr. Dre, Kurupt and Snoop Dogg, but by the turn of the millennium the label descended into financial ruin and was eventually auctioned off to a Canadian entertainment company in 2009.

bouli77

Re: Suge Knight: Kendrick Lamar and Game Have Two of the Worst Deals
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:32:23 AM »
suge knows something about bad deals lol, given how he embezzled everyone but Dre (who could no longer be fooled) at Death Row.

doublee313

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:54:09 AM »
Ex Death Row CEO says Compton rappers are "slaves" to Interscope Records.

Knight is well-versed in the area of bad business dealings. As Death Row's founder and former CEO, the 48-year-old built a reputation for intimidation tactics (like allegedly dangling Vanilla Ice over a balcony) and has watched his once profitable imprint crumble over the years. Death Row was once home to West Coast heavy hitters Tupac Shakur, Dr. Dre, Kurupt and Snoop Dogg, but by the turn of the millennium the label descended into financial ruin and was eventually auctioned off to a Canadian entertainment company in 2009.

They forgot Daz at the end.  LOL.  Daz go pop some Xanax and relax it will be ok.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »
I think he has slavery confused with prostitution. Slavery paints a more vile picture because its rich white guys and poor black artists but I think it comes down to more of a pimps and hoes thing but that to me is the entertainment industry. Major labels are going to turn your ass out for every dollar you're worth and leave you when you ain't bringing them in no more.

Will_B

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »
Kendrick still made the Forbes rich list earning $9m in 2013

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 11:58:22 AM »
I think Suge was just saying that about so many labels/companies being involved and all being entitled to some cut.  With Game, it was G-Unit/Aftermath/Interscope and then Geffen got involved too for stuff coming out after The Documentary.  And then there's still Czar Entertainment or whatever the company is called that is run by Jimmy Henchmen, who gets a piece of the action.  And now he's moving to Cash Money/Universal, so who knows how the money will get split at that point.  And Kendrick is still linked up with Top Dog/Aftermath/Interscope, so I bet Jay Rock is also getting a nice cut.

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 12:00:14 PM »

I would doubt if he actually took home clear 2 million.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 12:19:40 PM »

I would doubt if he actually took home clear 2 million.
After taxes?

midwestryder

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 12:34:58 PM »
I think Suge was just saying that about so many labels/companies being involved and all being entitled to some cut.  With Game, it was G-Unit/Aftermath/Interscope and then Geffen got involved too for stuff coming out after The Documentary.  And then there's still Czar Entertainment or whatever the company is called that is run by Jimmy Henchmen, who gets a piece of the action.  And now he's moving to Cash Money/Universal, so who knows how the money will get split at that point.  And Kendrick is still linked up with Top Dog/Aftermath/Interscope, so I bet Jay Rock is also getting a nice cut.
why would Jay rock get a cut ? Top Dog is owned & ran by Top Dog not Jay rock.

Blood$

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »
why would Jay rock get a cut ? Top Dog is owned & ran by Top Dog not Jay rock.

Jay Rock didn't start the label up but he definitely helped put them on in a major way, he was their first artist and the artist that made TDE's name ring bells so I wouldn't doubt it if he got a small portion or if Top Dog and Punch were giving him a piece of their personal checks

I mean it would make sense since dude hasn't released any new solo material in awhile and he definitely isn't headlining any shows at the moment so how else is he gonna eat lol

example: Fredo Santana has 1/4 ownership of Chief Keef's label…
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:41:57 PM by BloodMoneyThaBawse »

Diggfinger

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 12:49:20 PM »
Suga Daddy knows about bad deals/stealing money from rappers  8)

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »

example: Fredo Santana has 1/4 ownership of Chief Keef's label…

That;s that shit I don't like!

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »
Suga Daddy knows about bad deals/stealing money from rappers  8)
As does Eazy, Puffy, Baby, etc. apparently

abusive

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »
You forgot Game was/is? signed to JT Tha Bigga Figga. I think that's who Suge meant by "is really signed to".
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 10:23:12 PM »
You forgot Game was/is? signed to JT Tha Bigga Figga. I think that's who Suge meant by "is really signed to".
No. Even JT has admitted otherwise. JT basically gave him a deal to do those early recordings then let him do his thing. He tried to sell them to Interscope when Game got on but they passed so he put them out himself. I believe Suge is either talking about Jimmy Henchman or D-Mack.