Author Topic: It Was Written, and Beats Rhymes & Life...  (Read 198 times)

Will_B

It Was Written, and Beats Rhymes & Life...
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:53:09 AM »
Could be 2 of hip-hops most underrated albums. Mainstream music was peaking in 96 (no infinite) and expectation was high, but these 2 classics are often still cited by heads as a major letdown. Fuck what u say doe. This is what musics about for me. 8)

:banana_trippin:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:13:16 AM by Do Buy Albums »

HighEyeCue

Re: It Was Written, and Beat Rhymes & Life...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 06:02:13 AM »
underrated classics for sure...I actually prefer It Was Written to Illmatic

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:03:44 AM »
classic material  8)
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Jimmy H.

Re: It Was Written, and Beats Rhymes & Life...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »
Mainstream music was peaking in 96 (no infinite) 
I believe 1998 was actually when music officially peaked.

As for It Was Written.  It was more of a critical letdown than a commercial one. It was Nas' biggest selling album ever. It was criticized for following mainstream trends (Dr. Dre producing songs, more pop-friendly singles, and adopting the Mafia vine that other rappers were doing). I think nostalgia is kind to that album because people who grew up in the 90's like that kind of sound and production-wise, it's a great sounding record but from a lyrical point of view, I can see how people who loved Illmatic might have been disappointed by it.

Blood$

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »
I actually prefer It Was Written to Illmatic

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 04:45:34 PM »
Could be 2 of hip-hops most underrated albums. Mainstream music was peaking in 96 (no infinite) and expectation was high, but these 2 classics are often still cited by heads as a major letdown. Fuck what u say doe. This is what musics about for me. 8)

:banana_trippin:

It Was Written is Classic. Not sure I ever heard of anyone saying this album was a letdown. But BR&L??? That album is clearly levels below their first 3. Cool album but that shit isn't a classic.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »
The "It Was Written" intro still cracks me up. I love that album.