Author Topic: Albums with Intros and skits , Are they better ?  (Read 666 times)

westside159

Albums with Intros and skits , Are they better ?
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:49:26 AM »
Yes or no ,  are albums that have Intro's and skits in the better than the ones without them ? 

Jome

Re: Albums with Intros and skits , Are they better ?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:04:54 AM »
In general: they're unnecessary (often childish, meaningless, lame humor, pointless).. a few exceptions though, done right it might add slightly to the experience.

A good cinematic intro-track with actual music is way superior than just some random self righteous babbling on the intro track though..
And skits usually become skip-material after 1 or 2 listens.. if you're gonna have skits, might as well have them at the end of the music-track, instead of a stand-alone track.

WestSideDon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:05:17 AM »
It depends. There are some classic albums were the skits were just perfect and are really part of the listening experience like on Doggystyle.
But there are of course a lot of pointless, lame skits...

bouli77

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »
that's a pretty silly question if you ask me... how does having an intro have an effect on the rest of the album ? and how can we define general tendencies based on that ? lmao

now if the question was "are albums better off without intros and skits" that would be more interesting if you ask me

westside159

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 09:20:54 AM »
I like albums with a good intro like on JAY-Z's album The Dynasty , i thought that was one of the best intro's to any rap album of all time . There are others by can't name them off the top of the head .
Why not start it off with a bang ?

Don Seer

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 09:21:52 AM »
there have been some shockingly bad interludes over the years..

instrumental interludes though? pete rock & cl smooths albums were drenched with them, they were always dope, and set the pace for whatever followed

WestWestYA

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
I like albums with a good intro like on JAY-Z's album The Dynasty , i thought that was one of the best intro's to any rap album of all time . There are others by can't name them off the top of the head .
Why not start it off with a bang ?
don't forget stillmatic

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 09:26:24 AM »
Chronic and Illmatic have great intro's off the top of my head, however they're usually unnecessary and skip tracks.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

doggfather

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 11:33:01 AM »
don't realy like em. There are some classic skit and intro too, but most of em boring for the 2nd listen.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »
I love the Gangsta Granny bits on WC's and Stank's albums.  "I started hop hip god dammit!"
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

westside159

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 04:11:29 AM »
I love the Gangsta Granny bits on WC's and Stank's albums.  "I started hop hip god dammit!"

LOL Yeah the gangsta granny skit on WC'S albums are funny .

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 06:59:14 PM »
a couple are okay, but some cats just overdo it

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 09:01:02 PM »
Very few albums pull it off. But out of the recent stuff, Kendrick and YG actually did it pretty well. Kendrick's skits string together sort of as a theme , while YG's serve as segways from one song to the next.

dnjp4life

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 01:30:23 AM »
Yes they are very important.  They help break up the album for the listener and can add to the story or atmosphere when a certain album demands to be listened to from front to back (Kendricks 'Good Kid' album, for example).
Certain skits and interludes are central to the listening experience, perhaps even more so than the songs themselves, such as '3 Feet High and Rising' by De La Soul, and most of MF DOOM's albums.

westside159

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 02:59:51 AM »
MF DOOM is dope with them lyrics . I listen to all his albums and he's very slept on