Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49121 times)

wcsoldier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 12/20/09 - Welcome to the little Anna
Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2015, 10:16:24 AM »
Bout to voice my opinion on the album:

First of all, this is definetely NOT a classic album and not on par with chronic & 2001. With these albums dre influenced the whole hip hop scene two times and popularized a new sound & style everybody was trying to copy. This time he let himself be influenced by the current soundscapes & trends a bit too much. There are certainly good and very good songs on here, but theres also too much on here that sounds to modern & influenced by currently popular styles & sounds. The worst thing for me is kendrick lamars influence all over the record. I'll just be honest & say I don't fuck with kendricks style, I know many people love it and call him hip hops next big thing, the new king of the west and more but his style is absolutely not my cup of tea. And theres too much of his influence all over the album, especially dres verses & rapping style is clearly kendricks which I dislike. Also its suspicious for me how so many people celebrate snoops verse on "One Shot One Kill", thats not snoop thats kendrick spittin there, he obviously wrote snoops verse and snoop himself flows and uses his voice just like kendrick. Come on, then you could have just placed kendrick there instead of snoop. Snoop got one of the most unique voices and one of the greatest flows in the game and that is sacrificed here to do a kendrick impression smh....
Another thing that annoys me is the fuckin mess thats going on in some tracks, sometimes I just want some old school 16 bars verse, hook, 16 bars verse, hook style song, and not these thousands of voice & flow changes within one part + some spoken inserts in the middle of it. Thats also one of the things thats clearly influenced by kendrick and its all over the album (hope y'all understand whats my point here). Its completely ok if this happens during the songs with kendrick but it seems like dre let his protege influence this album too much, I always liked how on chronic & 2001 all the guests brought their own styles & strenghts in and everything came together for a great listening experience.. Another aspect bout the album, are the influences from current trap styles and shit like this which also have no bussiness beeing on a dre album, thats not the game changing sound that dre always brought with his projects. He always set trends instead of following them...
Thats not to say that there aren't good songs on here, tracks like its all on me or talking to my diary are great but theres just not enough real "Dre sound" on this for me....

Great post ... I thought I was the only one who was very annoyed by the " messy verses" on this album ... way too many pauses , half singing , changes of voices ... a perfect example is Xzibit one ... dude has one of the dopest voices in the game but didn't rap in a normal way ...

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »
i try and try but i can't feel the album. some nice songs but nothing groundbreaking, this will be forgotten in 3 weeks. if this is really Dre's last solo album ever, he's going out with an average one and his weakest effort. This feel rushed and not on pair with Dre's standard of perfection.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2015, 10:27:02 AM »
how come? "Compton - A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre" maybe you mean its more like Soundtrack to The City of Compton and it should be titled Straight Outta Compton Soundtrack? Either way its inspired by and connected to the movie

This is Dre attempting to confuse fans and capitalize off the movie. Much like Jay-Z with American Gangster.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

doggfather

« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2015, 11:24:12 AM »
Where can I buy a hard copy, is it even out yet?

Will there be hard copys?

august 21st and you can pre-order it now.

good news!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Inferio07

« Reply #199 on: August 08, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
At first listen I was disappointed,  but I feel that many felt that way and skimmed over some very important parts of the album. Once I truly sat down and played it several times in its entirety there was some awesome things I missed, there are some sounds that only Dre can put together that I'm hearing in these songs that I didn't hear it it's first couple of spins. Overall I'm enjoying this album and will be buying a hard copy for sure. I still can't even give a true honest full opinion of the album because it's still growing on me, I think everyone should wait on giving their opinion, be patient, give it some more spins, the art is there, the craft is there, He's painted a picture that not everyone can see, and I'm hearing something new each spin. I have no reason to complain, Thank you Dr.Dre!!!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:36:45 AM by Inferio07 »

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #200 on: August 08, 2015, 12:59:47 PM »
And about the slow south sound it actually comes from a producer from the West

That makes it worse.
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #201 on: August 08, 2015, 01:02:09 PM »
LL Cool J has been doing a great job of balancing the old and the new lately.

lol u cant be serious......this is lightyears ahead of anything LL has done lately.

Maybe in the trap music world.  LL's still making real hip hop and hasn't abandoned his past.  Neither has Public Enemy.
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

Jimmy H.

« Reply #202 on: August 08, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »
LL's still making real hip hop and hasn't abandoned his past.  Neither has Public Enemy.
  I don't know really know what you're driving at it with "abandoning his past".  Dre's album is named after the city he grew up in and influenced by the first group he blew up with.  He's got several artists on it that he's been working with for over 20+ years, dating as far back as his Ruthless days.  His flow might be a little different and his sounds are a little more modern but he's a producer.  Music evolves and people try new things.  I'm not bringing the same energy to things I did twenty years ago.  I might still fuck with some of the same people, visit some of the same places, and have some of the same hobbies but I'm approaching it from an older perspective.  I don't think he's any more far removed from his past than any of these other artists that have been on since the 80's and 90's.

Sccit

« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2015, 01:53:57 PM »
LL Cool J has been doing a great job of balancing the old and the new lately.

lol u cant be serious......this is lightyears ahead of anything LL has done lately.

Maybe in the trap music world.  LL's still making real hip hop and hasn't abandoned his past.  Neither has Public Enemy.

forget the content, the production value is nowhere close to the same.

DJSpin

« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2015, 02:13:12 PM »
Where can I buy a hard copy, is it even out yet?

Will there be hard copys?

august 21st and you can pre-order it now.

Thanks!  Where can I stream the full version then? I cant wait hat long!

kuruptDPG

« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »
where are the production credits again?

LostAngel

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I believe Dr.Dre should own Compton...
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2015, 02:37:02 PM »
I just can't understand this Theo guy. What's your problem? That Dre's dropping an album after 16 years and giving it Comtpon name? Because DJ Quik didn't done that before him? He had his chance? Let's be honest, Quik can't top Dre or anyone can't top Dre with music. You can tell whatever you want but Dre is Hip-Hop. Dre is responsible for Pac, Snoop, Game, 50, X, Eminem... What else do you want? You're hating that album just because Quik isn't involved, if Quik had place on it you would kill us to death saying how good album is. Except Los Angeles area, Cali area nobody is interessted in Quik and you do know that. His time is almost over, ask youngsters about him, nobody would say a fucking word except "Who tf is that?". Dre is Dre. Even tho this album doesn't change the game like you've said, it changes everything. Only having Dre album after this long is changing the game. Everybody is talking about it, everybody is loving it. It ain't 2001-2-3 anymore, it's time for the sound he delivers with Compton. Youngsters don't want G-Funk. They want this sound so deal with it.
I believe Dr.Dre should own Compton, Dr.Dre said X Man you're onto somethig...

WestWestYA

« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2015, 03:07:05 PM »
I just can't understand this Theo guy. What's your problem? That Dre's dropping an album after 16 years and giving it Comtpon name? Because DJ Quik didn't done that before him? He had his chance? Let's be honest, Quik can't top Dre or anyone can't top Dre with music. You can tell whatever you want but Dre is Hip-Hop. Dre is responsible for Pac, Snoop, Game, 50, X, Eminem... What else do you want? You're hating that album just because Quik isn't involved, if Quik had place on it you would kill us to death saying how good album is. Except Los Angeles area, Cali area nobody is interessted in Quik and you do know that. His time is almost over, ask youngsters about him, nobody would say a fucking word except "Who tf is that?". Dre is Dre. Even tho this album doesn't change the game like you've said, it changes everything. Only having Dre album after this long is changing the game. Everybody is talking about it, everybody is loving it. It ain't 2001-2-3 anymore, it's time for the sound he delivers with Compton. Youngsters don't want G-Funk. They want this sound so deal with it.

X TO THE MUTHA FUCKIN ZEEE KAM MR CRIMINAL - WEST LOVE
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/mSHSGUXD/file.html

dameons

« Reply #208 on: August 08, 2015, 03:17:20 PM »
This album is basically Dre trying to go be new school. 'Diary is dope as fuck , but damn , too much yelling and too many bloated tracks.

andre

« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2015, 03:42:36 PM »
Me still celebratin this gift from the good doc.

This shit is fresh.