Author Topic: Dr. Dre on "Tha Doggfather" LP  (Read 2045 times)

Okka

Dr. Dre on "Tha Doggfather" LP
« on: January 30, 2017, 11:16:29 AM »
In a February issue of Spin magazine, Dr. Dre stated his feelings on the album and said "But to be perfectly honest, I don't like Snoop's new album. And it has nothing to do with me not working him, because I'm just like everybody else: I like it, or I don't. The first time I heard the single, I was grooving to it, but then I really started to get into the production and how it was sounding, you know? The first time you hear some shit, you just listen to it to get your groove on, but after that, I start breaking songs down. There's really nothing that was said on there that hasn't been said 50 times before."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tha_Doggfather

I was just checkin' out "Tha Doggfather" Wikipedia page and i noticed this. I don't think i've ever heard Dre comment on the album before. I hope somebody here has that February 1996 issue of "Spin Magazine" so we can confirm this is not just some bullshit that somebody added to Wikipedia.

HighEyeCue

Re: Dr. Dre on "Tha Doggfather" LP
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 11:34:07 AM »
It is true. I remember reading that article back thenin my colleges library. I don't think Dre said much more than what was stated though.

F-cisco

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 09:40:29 AM »
Thanks man! Never had read this before. Sorry Snoop, even your mentor said your sophomore effort was lackluster.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:08:26 PM by F-cisco »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 06:51:48 PM »
Interesting to see what Dre said about the album.  I always felt like the intro unfairly targeted Dre--since Dre had came out and said gangsta rap was dead.  Snoop thought he didn't need Dre and could do it on his own, and he kind of got what he deserved when Doggfather was a huge dissapointment at the time it was released--for anyone who was old enough to remember the mid-90's era of hiphop.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

NIBIRU

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 07:36:27 AM »
DOGGFATHER is good album  8) 8)  with  productions POOH , DAZ etc..   8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:28:17 AM by NIBIRU »
100% FRENCH FUNK

me1

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 09:59:37 AM »
i dug it cause i'm a fan and there were some bangers on there for sure, but to say i wasn't disappointed would be a lie

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 02:43:33 PM »
Nothing new or surprising. The sales showed that it was a good sophomore effort but clearly behind Doggystyle.

I remember when the album came out, people called into Power 106 and a lot of people were saying that they liked it but it was clearly inferior. So it's not like everyone was mesmerized at it when it came out and was fresh and new.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 10:41:56 PM »
Nothing new or surprising. The sales showed that it was a good sophomore effort but clearly behind Doggystyle.

I remember when the album came out, people called into Power 106 and a lot of people were saying that they liked it but it was clearly inferior. So it's not like everyone was mesmerized at it when it came out and was fresh and new.

Exactly man..thank you.  I mean these are real accounts from people who remember those dark days after Pac died, after Dre had left and put out the lukewarm Atermath project, and Suge got busted--and everyone was sure Snoop would deliver in the clutch and save the day.  He was suppossed to be the Michael Jordan of hip-hop but he couldn't deliver the championship--he was more like Jordan on the Wizards.

I remember the day it dropped I still didn't have my drivers liscence and I paid an older friend to leave on that Tuesday during lunch and buy it for me.  I listened to it beggining to end that night and your thinking.. alright this is okay.... this is okay.... but your waiting for that next level shit, that classic shit--I kept thinking it it was coming till finally it got to the end--and I was like what the fucc?

I remember when "Snoops Upside your Head" came out everyone's reaction was just "It's Alright".

In fact the only ones who really weren't dissapointed were mainstream and newer fans who'd come along in Pacs era at Death Row and didn't experience the Chronic/Doggystyle at jump.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 12:39:59 AM »
It's not as good as doggystyle but none of his albums are .. Doggystyle is a top 5 album in rap. It's still one of his best albums tho.

Blood$

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 06:20:24 AM »
to be fair, any album from Snoop that had Dre's involvement shits all over Doggfather lol not a bad album but it was kinda frustratingly average especially with the team involved... the saving grace was the DPG features

Sccit

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 09:04:53 AM »
to be fair, any album from Snoop that had Dre's involvement shits all over Doggfather lol not a bad album but it was kinda frustratingly average especially with the team involved... the saving grace was the DPG features

Top dogg, last meal, or BCT don't really shit on doggfather

Okka

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 09:54:34 AM »

No Limit Top Dogg > Tha Last Meal > Tha Doggfather > Tha Blue Carpet Treatment

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »

They all on or around the same level .. I prefer last meal of the 4 tho

Blood$

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 10:33:24 AM »

BCT may have 1-2 skippers but way too many classics that trump the whole Doggfather album

HighEyeCue

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 02:43:24 PM »

Exactly man..thank you.  I mean these are real accounts from people who remember those dark days after Pac died, after Dre had left and put out the lukewarm Atermath project, and Suge got busted--and everyone was sure Snoop would deliver in the clutch and save the day.  He was suppossed to be the Michael Jordan of hip-hop but he couldn't deliver the championship--he was more like Jordan on the Wizards.

I remember the day it dropped I still didn't have my drivers liscence and I paid an older friend to leave on that Tuesday during lunch and buy it for me.  I listened to it beggining to end that night and your thinking.. alright this is okay.... this is okay.... but your waiting for that next level shit, that classic shit--I kept thinking it it was coming till finally it got to the end--and I was like what the fucc?

I remember when "Snoops Upside your Head" came out everyone's reaction was just "It's Alright".

In fact the only ones who really weren't dissapointed were mainstream and newer fans who'd come along in Pacs era at Death Row and didn't experience the Chronic/Doggystyle at jump.

I also think the Makaveli album overshadowed Tha Doggfather, they were released a week apart and Pacs album trumped Snoops in terms of quality

Pac had become the top rapper in '96 and that was only enhanced with his death

plus people weren't checking for Snoop like back in 93-94