Author Topic: Chronic 2000: First Disc vs. Second Disc  (Read 5206 times)

love33

Re: Chronic 2000: First Disc vs. Second Disc
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 03:23:25 PM »
E-40, Scarface, Treach, Dogg Pound, Ant Banks, and Pac if I said those names were leasing a compilation record, thats an all star lineup

It’s misleading to say that any of those artists released that album.  They are featured on it and it’s none of their best work.  Death Row has had far more impressive guest lists prior to this.  You are once again, doing the publicist thing.  An all-star lineup means nothing if it’s not strong, consistent material.  It’s not what you have, it’s how you use it.  Plenty of movies with all-star casts that completely suck.

800k isnt bad

You didn’t say “isn’t bad”.  You said it “rocked the charts”.  There is a world of difference between the phrasing here.

Chronic 2000 will sell more than Snoop's new album, wanna bet?

That’s a pointless comparison to even make.  Different time, different economy, different musical landscape, drastically different means of selling/promoting music.   Are you really that oblivious to “context” that you would think this is a reasonable comparison?

But allow me to point out a couple things.  800k is the total number of units sold during its recorded peak period (probably anywhere from 1 year to 3).  Since it is a double album, that means it actually sold something like 400,000 physical copies.  Snoop’s “Game is to Be Sold” sold over 500,000 physical copies in its first week alone.  “Dr. Dre Presents The Aftermath” and “Tha Doggfather” both sold over a million copies.  All of Snoop’s albums until about 2006 all have sold over one million copies. 

Because it's a double unit, it counts as 2 units per sale -- they mentioned on the Official Death Row Records Website and Suge mentioned that Chronic 2000 is Gold

love33

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »
I liked Chronic 2000 I used to listen to it alot. This may not be a popular opinion on here but I always liked the tracks by Tha Realest and Top Dogg the most. Disc 1 is definitely better. Theres only about 6 good tracks on disc 2

I used to post on this board years ago (check my profile, been a member for a long minute), and it seems there used to be A LOT more people on this forum who loved Soopafly, Realest, YGD, Crooked, Doobie, K9, & Eastwood -- the last year or so, I notice there's A LOT of Haters now for some reason who actually hate the Second Death Row Generation (they like the First Death Row Generation, but they hate the second) and will go above and beyond to smear them (some people post some really good objective posts and criticism to be fair, but there's a lot of pure hate "i.e. The Fakest" "Snoop clone," etc. -- The forum has changed A LOT for some reason, maybe a lot of the people who were here before left too back in the day and the new members aren't into it as much -- Case & point, this topic (I ask a simple question which disc you like better and all I hear is "Snoop's was better, that album laid a brick, you're misleading those artists really didn't try hard, etc.)

love33

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 03:35:23 PM »
It’s misleading to say that any of those artists released that album.  They are featured on it and it’s none of their best work.

Scarface, Pac, & Treach's name were allover the promo material alongside Dre & Snoop before they pulled them off
Treach was on the radio promoting it talking about how he's going to be on The Chronic 2000, he was on Big Boy radio talking about how he's opening up the door for the brand new Row with all the new talent

Don't know how that's misleading?

Blood$

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »
I liked Chronic 2000 I used to listen to it alot. This may not be a popular opinion on here but I always liked the tracks by Tha Realest and Top Dogg the most. Disc 1 is definitely better. Theres only about 6 good tracks on disc 2

I used to post on this board years ago (check my profile, been a member for a long minute), and it seems there used to be A LOT more people on this forum who loved Soopafly, Realest, YGD, Crooked, Doobie, K9, & Eastwood -- the last year or so, I notice there's A LOT of Haters now for some reason who actually hate the Second Death Row Generation (they like the First Death Row Generation, but they hate the second) and will go above and beyond to smear them (some people post some really good objective posts and criticism to be fair, but there's a lot of pure hate "i.e. The Fakest" "Snoop clone," etc. -- The forum has changed A LOT for some reason, maybe a lot of the people who were here before left too back in the day and the new members aren't into it as much -- Case & point, this topic (I ask a simple question which disc you like better and all I hear is "Snoop's was better, that album laid a brick, you're misleading those artists really didn't try hard, etc.)

because Soopafly, Crooked I, and Eastwood were the only original rappers not riding the dick of another rapper reaching for fame lol K9 had a few cool joints but he became a joke once he started doing his YouTube rants (which were hilarious though)

still waiting on that receipt that says the album sold 800K, any quote from Suge is disqualified... shit barely went Gold if anything which technically means only 250K people bought it in the end, brick status lol

love33

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 04:00:52 PM »

because Soopafly, Crooked I, and Eastwood were the only original rappers not riding the dick of another rapper reaching for fame lol K9 had a few cool joints but he became a joke once he started doing his YouTube rants (which were hilarious though)

still waiting on that receipt that says the album sold 800K, any quote from Suge is disqualified... shit barely went Gold if anything which technically means only 250K people bought it in the end, brick status lol

Debuting in the Top 10 on the Billboard 200 is rocking the charts!

"[Chronic 2000] went gold and debuted in the top 10 on Billboard..."   
Source:  http://www.stereogum.com/1878027/bootleg-tupac-the-chronic-2000-suges-psychotic-revenge-the-weird-forgotten-final-days-of-death-row-records/franchises/weird-90s/

The Death Row website also reported it as GOLD and MTV a few times mentioned it was GOLD, after mentioning Dre's album was certified 5x platinum

Jay Wallace

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 08:21:52 PM »
Scarface, Pac, & Treach's name were allover the promo material alongside Dre & Snoop before they pulled them off
Treach was on the radio promoting it talking about how he's going to be on The Chronic 2000, he was on Big Boy radio talking about how he's opening up the door for the brand new Row with all the new talent

Show me a link to any of these Treach interviews and then we'll talk.  Until then, I will remain skeptical. 

Source:  http://www.stereogum.com/1878027/bootleg-tupac-the-chronic-2000-suges-psychotic-revenge-the-weird-forgotten-final-days-of-death-row-records/franchises/weird-90s/

Its peak position on the Billboard 200 was #11.  It was a modest success at the time but "rocking the charts" is a bit of a stretch.

Jay Wallace

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »
Also, Realest "Takin' Pictures in Cemetary" was recorded in late 2000 as was "Can't Mobb Deep". Realest was promoting these songs after the release of "Too Gangsta For Radio".

b.laden

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 07:21:07 AM »
Disk 1 is tight , far better in my opinion .i still listen to it .damn, i miss these days..
now everybody and their mama is listen to gangsta rap..LMAO

HighEyeCue

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 07:28:49 AM »

The Death Row website also reported it as GOLD and MTV a few times mentioned it was GOLD, after mentioning Dre's album was certified 5x platinum

Daz and Kurupt's first solo albums also debuted in the top 10, nobody would say that they rocked the charts tho :laugh:

love33

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 01:55:13 AM »

Daz and Kurupt's first solo albums also debuted in the top 10, nobody would say that they rocked the charts tho :laugh:

Dogg Pound's first two albums:  "Dogg Food" debuted at #1, so that was rocking the charts -- it ended up selling 3 or 4 million units --  "2002" debuted at #36 and sold around 400k-550k
"Dogg Food" tore up the charts -- tell me an artist right now putting up those numbers that Tha Dogg Pound put up!

love33

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 02:53:38 AM »

Show me a link to any of these Treach interviews and then we'll talk.  Until then, I will remain skeptical. 

I'm not sure if they even have Big Boy 1999 Interviews available anywhere online -- Treach was actually super close to signing with Death Row in 99 but he eventually just laid low

This is one of the trailers for Chronic 2000:

This is Treach freestyling and talking about Death Row

This is a great interview with Treach talking about 2Pac: 

This is Rick Clifford, Death Row engineer until Chronic 2000, talking about how he believes Treach was working with Tha Realest on Chronic 2000, and that Treach and others used Realest and Top Dogg to finish songs:

Jay Wallace

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 03:02:37 PM »
Treach was actually super close to signing with Death Row in 99 but he eventually just laid low

Once again, this sounds like you speculating without facts to back it up. 

This is Treach freestyling and talking about Death Row

He mentions them in one line as part of a rap and it has nothing to do with promoting Chronic 2000 or any projects.  He basically says he was holding it down for the East with Naughty By Nature while Death Row was dominating.  If someone mentions how Ja Rule dominated the radio waves in 2001 during one of their freestyles, I don’t qualify that as actively promoting Ja Rule’s current projects? You’re reaching big time on that one.

This is a great interview with Treach talking about 2Pac: 

You’re starting to veer off-topic now.  It’s a cool interview but it has nothing to do with the discussion.  I’m aware that Treach was one of Pac’s closest friends in the industry but that’s a whole other topic.  Everything discussed here is from their early days when they were touring in 1991 and when they both went out for roles in Juice.

This is Rick Clifford, Death Row engineer until Chronic 2000, talking about how he believes Treach was working with Tha Realest on Chronic 2000, and that Treach and others used Realest and Top Dogg to finish songs:

He mentions Treach having him adlib like Pac.  Fun tidbit but we already know Treach was working with Death Row.  This is your usual bait-and-switch.  Obviously if Treach was on both Chronic 2000 and Too Gangsta For Radio, he was working with Death Row.  I asked you for evidence of him promoting Chronic 2000 on the radio. 

love33

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 12:42:52 AM »
How am I supposed to dig up old Treach interviews from 1999 with Big Boy? You gotta be kidding me --

Jay Wallace

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 08:07:21 PM »
How am I supposed to dig up old Treach interviews from 1999 with Big Boy? You gotta be kidding me --

I don't expect you to.  Just reading your interpretations of the interviews you posted suggests to me that an exaggerated version of an interview you remember from 18 years ago would probably be nothing like how you describe it anyway.  Your recollections of things seem to border on delusional. 

I think the Rick Clifford interview is actually one of the better descriptions of the downfall of Death Row.  He seems pretty knowledgeable on the issues that Death Row had during the "Chronic 2000" period.  From the interview he spotted and diagnosed all the problems that plagued that label in 1998-99 from trying to cash in on the "Chronic" name without Dre's involvement, focusing on rappers who were imitations of former artists, and firing up the new roster to diss the old one.  Clifford, who was actually there, is not speaking about how this was a fresh roster that got blackballed and was on the verge of being at the top of the rap game.  He's breaking it down in real terms.  Death Row weren't held back by the establishment.  They made the wrong moves. 

love33

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 10:54:49 PM »

I don't expect you to.  Just reading your interpretations of the interviews you posted suggests to me that an exaggerated version of an interview you remember from 18 years ago would probably be nothing like how you describe it anyway.  Your recollections of things seem to border on delusional. 

I think the Rick Clifford interview is actually one of the better descriptions of the downfall of Death Row.  He seems pretty knowledgeable on the issues that Death Row had during the "Chronic 2000" period.  From the interview he spotted and diagnosed all the problems that plagued that label in 1998-99 from trying to cash in on the "Chronic" name without Dre's involvement, focusing on rappers who were imitations of former artists, and firing up the new roster to diss the old one.  Clifford, who was actually there, is not speaking about how this was a fresh roster that got blackballed and was on the verge of being at the top of the rap game.  He's breaking it down in real terms.  Death Row weren't held back by the establishment.  They made the wrong moves. 

Clifford says on there if Crooked dropped in 96, he would have blew up and been huge -- 96 is obviously when the label ran the whole rap game and had Interscope pushing them hard -- Crooked I also tweeted out just recently that Irv Gotti was doing a lot to try to help him behind the scenes that a lot of people didn't know about -- Danny Boy said Suge got pissed off because of this in another interview, but check the Crooked I Twitter and scroll back about a month and you'll see 3 Tweets on there of how Irv Gotti was doing a lot for his career to push him

The old o2 Death Row Fan Site had a story on there about Treach being in talks with the label, and the old forum admin Miles and Nate did a post about Treach -- he just got cold feet and backed out

Death Row was dumb not to release the albums (and I'm sure the bad distribution deal with Koch and d3 had something to do with it, Suge was trying to do a platinum album without the support of a MAJOR or having to digest their input on his records and share in the publishing, but the real money would've been selling the tracks/albums on the website) -- they were going to struggle getting radio spins with those distributors -- why record all these thousands of tracks and just let them collect dust -- no label ever made a killing sitting on all their music -- the best thing they could've done is put on them on the Official Death Row Records website and sell them for 55 cents each and let the viewers sample a 15 second snippet before they buy -- they already had a house name and a fanbase, plus their most hardcore fans were on that website and would've bought the music (they would've at least made SOMETHING on these tracks, instead of ZERO) -- but then again, like Clifford said, they weren't even showing up for court and they were running the business into the ground -- it just doesn't make ANY sense to sit on thousands of singles and hundreds of albums with ZERO return!  The Lisa "NINA" Lopes & Crooked I albums would've sold at the very least!