Author Topic: Honest opinions on Snoop's 'Paid Tha Cost To Be Da Bo$$' album  (Read 2085 times)

dnjp4life

Just listening to this album again recently after not having played it for a long time, and it's definitely one of Snoop's strongest albums in his discography. 

I remember reading on this forum quite a while back that a lot of people don't like this album, but even though it's perhaps a bit too long (which album by Snoop isn't?), even the tracks that I would cut from the album are still decent (tracks like 'I Miss That Bitch' and 'Ballin' in my opinion).

Plus it has 'From Tha Chuuuch To Da Palace' which is an undeniable Snoop banger, and a scathing diss to round off the album  8)

HighEyeCue

Re: Honest opinions on Snoop's 'Paid Tha Cost To Be Da Bo$$' album
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 11:01:01 AM »
haven't listened to it in ages but I remember being disappointed with some of the collabos

overall had some joints though, the Primo tracks and Pimp Slapped 8)

was a step down from Last Meal however which was borderline classic

heyyou

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 01:03:47 PM »
I liked it, but it could have been improved ie shorter and more concise.

The One and only is a classic imo!

The problem for me was that I loved the advance version better! I preferred the advanced version of vicious flow, and some other tracks that didn't make the final cut.

Blood$

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »
average at best as a whole but it had it's strong moments

Da Game Is To Be Sold Not Told >

sofdark

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 05:16:25 PM »
I liked it, but it could have been improved ie shorter and more concise.

The One and only is a classic imo!

The problem for me was that I loved the advance version better! I preferred the advanced version of vicious flow, and some other tracks that didn't make the final cut.

There were couple advance versions if I remember correct.

Blood$

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 08:36:03 PM »
I never heard the advance version, somebody throw up a link  8)

WestWestYA

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:59:44 PM »
Advanced was amazing.

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »
it's a good album

people were disappointed because it wasn't as good as last meal, but not many albums are

pretty similar to how doggfathef disappointed because it didn't live up to doggystyle

k1000

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 02:11:12 PM »
Just listening to this album again recently after not having played it for a long time, and it's definitely one of Snoop's strongest albums in his discography

Same feeling when i listened to it again 2 months ago. "Ballin" and "i miss that bitch" are among the best songs to me though. The 2 Neptunes songs i dislike, the 2 Primo songs i find boring and the one with Ludacris is messy. The intro produced by one of Tha Alkaholiks is so tremendous  8).

Also, who is that girl on "Bo$$ Playa". Her part is dope.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:13:26 PM by k1000 »

dnjp4life

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 08:55:50 AM »
Yeah the intro is such a beast of a beat and is one of the biggest wastes of a beat I can think of.  Snoop could have murdered that if he wanted to.

Okka

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 01:26:17 PM »
Yeah the intro is such a beast of a beat and is one of the biggest wastes of a beat I can think of.  Snoop could have murdered that if he wanted to.

Here's what Snoop had to say about that.

Dubcnn: You know what it reminded me off when I first heard the beat? Remember on "Paid The Cost To Be The Boss", you had an intro with that dope ass beat, and you didn't rap over it? I don't understand how you didn't rap over that track, but you didn't make the same mistake on this one!

The Bo$$ would like to see you! That's what you're talking about!

Dubcnn: That was the hottest beat on the whole album!

E-Swift did that for me, from Tha Alkaholiks. You know, sometimes you do things, just to let the groove ride. Music sometimes don't need lyrics on it, and that's a great track. I felt like, me rapping over it might harm it, cause I wasn't on no real shit at that time, to be spitting on it. I wasn't focused, I was into the record rather than the intro. But Dr. Dre said the same thang though! He heard it and he was like "Man you need to rap on that beat!" What's so cold is, I didn't rap to it, so I can always go back to it and snatch it, cause it's mine!

Dubcnn: Shit, you can still go ahead and do that!

Just to end all the talk! Like ya'll niggas thought I wasn't gonna rap on this? *hums melody* And keep the same hook! Tha Bo$$ would like to see you! Bugsy, the Bo$$ would like to see you!

http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/snoopdogg06-2/part2/

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 02:21:16 PM »
did the same thing on the 213 intro

Okka

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »
I think that beat was re-used by some latino rapper.

k1000

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 12:01:39 AM »
did the same thing on the 213 intro

and Baby Bash got the beat for one of his albums in 2005:

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 12:18:28 AM »
I think I liked the Advance Copy more than the actual release too!
I loved the songs "By My Side", "Family Reunion", "Time Goes On", "You Like Doin' It Too" etc.
Some of those songs ended up on Welcome To Tha House Vol. 1, some were found on different releases like Daddy V's Compton OG, Doggystyle XXX Movie 2 etc.