Author Topic: In retrospect Kurupt Space Boogie was even better than I remembered...  (Read 3083 times)

Rudki

Loved the album, still do.

Bought it the second it dropped, physical CD.

Not every CD has to be a fuckin' Illmatic...

The beats, the features, everything was just great on here.....

On Da Grind is still a summer ANTHEM.

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Sccit

cool story, i had all 3 versions when it dropped

1st one had “bitches” w/ butch cassidy as a bonus track

2nd had “this life i live” as a bonus track

and the 3rd was the hardest to come by and had “have fun” wit tha liks as a bonus track .. this one i got off R-E-L (who used to post here)

i believe i lost my copy with “bitches” tho (got jacked)

Sccit

I loved the album as soon as I listened to it.

The day it came out I was about to do a 15 mile round trip to go get it. I had rang a load of record shops to see if they were going to stock it and they said no. Luckily a small independent shop I knew was getting a few copies in. It was £14 and I had £15. That wouldn't have covered the bus fare there as well as the album so I walked. Scenic Scottish countryside walk along a cycle path on a mild day so off I went.

Called into the shop. Got the record. Got a cold drink for the walk home and had a spliff rolled and my portable CD player and headphones at the ready. Walked a quarter of the way back and took a detour to try cut the journey up a bit and a bus passed me and stopped. It was my friend who was a bus driver. Home in no time for free. Dropped me at my door completely off route after asking the passengers if it was Ok.

Always has that story behind it for me. I miss the days of heading to go get a new release on the day it was out. Back then you did what it took. Too easy now to download it to your phone and listen to it. It always added to an album. Going getting it, bringing it home and looking through the liner notes. Who produced it, whose credited as a writer, what samples are in the tracks etc.

I have the album on now. Based on seeing this thread a couple of days ago. I loved I at the time and still do. Great production, very varied as were the features. I remember 'It's over' being a big hit. Shame that his wife who featured on the track died a few years ago.

Talking of liner notes, i went straight to them. I had to see if there were any disastrous spelling errors like the way Xzibit was credited as Zizbit or something similar on 'The Streets Is A Mutha'!

Long post but fuck it. Takes me back to when music was more appreciated.

NOW THIS IS A STORY...

HARD COPY GANG FOR THE W

Yeah defo. It's the lengths that you would go to hear a new album back then. Don't get me wrong, Ive been downloading albums since the early days of the internet but it's just not the same and it never will be.

I remember trying to buy an album on the day of release and it came with a bonus DVD disc (remember them?). They wouldn't sell me it but I was with my Gran who at the time was in her 70's and not willing to climb the ridiculous amount of steps to the shop. I tried to get the staff to come down but they wouldn't take 1 min to come down so I could be age verified. Nowadays they'd bend over backwards for that sale.

Don't get me wrong, the internet in the past 20 years has enabled me to be exposed to hundred of artists I never would have been but the method and the subsequent effect has been incredibly damaging to artists.

I think this was one of the last few albums that I went out of my way to cop. Life took over and listening became easier. That's why concert ticket prices are so high. That's where the money is. Streaming gets you fuck all. Look at De La Soul...

So many bit I have to say few on this board thankfully laugh at people sat down listening to an album with the jewel case on their lap reading the booklet. But it was and always will be the superior way to listen. We always have that old heads.

Nothing better than the feeling of working for a wage to grab a physical and support the artist and everyone is happy.

that’s dope

never paid to download an album in my life and dont have any streaming services either

every album i own is via hard copy

i don’t like compromising sound quality and physical presence for convenience

doggfather

that’s dope

never paid to download an album in my life and dont have any streaming services either

every album i own is via hard copy

i don’t like compromising sound quality and physical presence for convenience

WORD, my man!

+1
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

dj coma

We already had On Da Grind from RAW, but it’s such a dope song I was definitely not upset they put it on Space Boogie too.

Sccit

We already had On Da Grind from RAW, but it’s such a dope song I was definitely not upset they put it on Space Boogie too.

speakin of RAW, that’s right up there with Space Boogie.... another great album that doesn’t get its proper due

King Krayz1e

Sccif you're a succin Mo-Ron. Raw, DPG and Space Boog were knoccin start to finish. You're 20 years too late hoecake.

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
I personally feel the production on Space Boogie is better than any Kurupt album and RAW. As Infinite said Fred Wreck was possessed and was dropping classic beat after classic beat. That ultimate 2001 Dre sound.

Sccit

damn ... i actually can’t find my copy of space boogie wit “have fun” on it either. and that one isn’t even listed on discogs smh.

however, in my quest of searching for it, i found a rare japanese version that has 2 bonus tracks, “gangsta” and “i thought you knew”

so now i’m back looking for the version with “have fun” again .... if anyone knows where to find that, let a playa know right quick. i don’t even remember what outlet initially sold the version with “have fun”, but i see it was sold on ebay a couple months back.

dj coma

speakin of RAW, that’s right up there with Space Boogie.... another great album that doesn’t get its proper due

Best solo from him IMO. All Death Row material.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I loved the album as soon as I listened to it.

The day it came out I was about to do a 15 mile round trip to go get it. I had rang a load of record shops to see if they were going to stock it and they said no. Luckily a small independent shop I knew was getting a few copies in. It was £14 and I had £15. That wouldn't have covered the bus fare there as well as the album so I walked. Scenic Scottish countryside walk along a cycle path on a mild day so off I went.

Called into the shop. Got the record. Got a cold drink for the walk home and had a spliff rolled and my portable CD player and headphones at the ready. Walked a quarter of the way back and took a detour to try cut the journey up a bit and a bus passed me and stopped. It was my friend who was a bus driver. Home in no time for free. Dropped me at my door completely off route after asking the passengers if it was Ok.

Always has that story behind it for me. I miss the days of heading to go get a new release on the day it was out. Back then you did what it took. Too easy now to download it to your phone and listen to it. It always added to an album. Going getting it, bringing it home and looking through the liner notes. Who produced it, whose credited as a writer, what samples are in the tracks etc.

I have the album on now. Based on seeing this thread a couple of days ago. I loved I at the time and still do. Great production, very varied as were the features. I remember 'It's over' being a big hit. Shame that his wife who featured on the track died a few years ago.

Talking of liner notes, i went straight to them. I had to see if there were any disastrous spelling errors like the way Xzibit was credited as Zizbit or something similar on 'The Streets Is A Mutha'!

Long post but fuck it. Takes me back to when music was more appreciated.

Nice post, homie...

... and damn right those were the days when album drops like this used to be events, trip to the store, hour or so drive around town just to play through the whole record, getting home and looking thru liner notes, etc... always ended up being a funny story behind it like your bus thing.

Only little story I have for this one was my 94 ford tempo died and that car had a spectacular 1,000 dollar Polk speakers and Amp system (no subs cause I am not a bass guy more vocals and trebles) and I got a 99 Camri used and for whatever reason couldn’t transfer my old equipment and was all depressed and shit but I put this album in and it banged hard on the factory speakers, so briefly I felt relieved but when I went back to other albums I was later depressed again cause though the factory speakers were nice it couldn’t equal my previous system—but with that album on that night it could and I bumped it all over the city
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Muthafuckin' Don!

RAW had its bangers for sure, but it couldn’t bump beginning to end like RRGB could... I think on a major label they would’ve made Daz go back in and knock out 4-5 more quality cuts and single and then it could’ve been classic cause he still was still holdin heat and holdin onto his prime

Even the artwork and packaging shows it was a bit sloppy
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Sccit

RAW had its bangers for sure, but it couldn’t bump beginning to end like RRGB could... I think on a major label they would’ve made Daz go back in and knock out 4-5 more quality cuts and single and then it could’ve been classic cause he still was still holdin heat and holdin onto his prime

dust is it off 1 time bro

i bet if u banged it nowadays you wouldn’t skip a track

• Muthafuckin' Don!

dust is it off 1 time bro

i bet if u banged it nowadays you wouldn’t skip a track

Going to be on a 4 hour drive next week I’ll give it a spin and see if I can make it without skip

HighEyeCue

the top tracks on RRGB are better than the top tracks on RAW but I would say RAW is overall the more consistent album 8)

The following users thanked this post: dj coma