Poll

"New York, New York" -- was it more of a diss to New York or tribute to New York

diss
7 (63.6%)
tribute
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: "New York, New York" -- was it more of a diss to New York or tribute to New York  (Read 1511 times)

Sccit

i don’t care what anyone says it’s an obvious diss to me

The following users thanked this post: -Quikness-

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
i don’t care what anyone says it’s an obvious diss to me

8)
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

kingsol81

yeah you guys have swayed me a bit... maybe it's a tribute after all.... Maybe not this track specifically, but it does feel like a lot of this East/West topic has become revisionist history with rappers blaming the media and saying there was no beef and they were all friends and shit...

...I just remember it back in the day it was like a real thing, and I think magazines like the Source were mostly just doing their job.  If you read the articles the journalists were actually the ones trying to be mature about the situation but still presenting both sides and doing their jobs to promote the music and culture.
VIBE Magazine definitely fanned the flames during that time.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
yeah you guys have swayed me a bit... maybe it's a tribute after all.... Maybe not this track specifically, but it does feel like a lot of this East/West topic has become revisionist history with rappers blaming the media and saying there was no beef and they were all friends and shit...

...I just remember it back in the day it was like a real thing, and I think magazines like the Source were mostly just doing their job.  If you read the articles the journalists were actually the ones trying to be mature about the situation but still presenting both sides and doing their jobs to promote the music and culture.

All the Vibe articles Kevin Powell did on Pac were always critical and self-righteous because Kevin Powell was on a black nationalist tip about “don’t sell out your brothers for fame and notoriety” and the majority of the journalists in hiphop at that time were actually from the PE late 80’s era of hiphop and used to look down on gangsta rap....

...unless you want to make the argument that niccaz don’t know how to read and just look at the cover and shit, lol 😂
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

kingsol81

All the Vibe articles Kevin Powell did on Pac were always critical and self-righteous because Kevin Powell was on a black nationalist tip about “don’t sell out your brothers for fame and notoriety” and the majority of the journalists in hiphop at that time were actually from the PE late 80’s era of hiphop and used to look down on gangsta rap....

...unless you want to make the argument that niccaz don’t know how to read and just look at the cover and shit, lol 😂
After we completed a painstaking editing process, I passed the final copy to Editor-in-Chief Alan Light, after which we discussed cover lines. Dana Lixenberg’s photographs of Big and Puff were iconic. We almost didn’t need any words. Issues were going to fly off the newsstand regardless of what coverline we chose. I made a point of stating that we must not use the phrase “East vs. West” on the cover, adding that the situation was so tense that if anything happened to anyone in the Death Row or Bad Boy camps we would have “blood on our hands.” My suggested coverline was “Where’s the Beef? Big and Puff Kill That East West Noise.”

When the magazines came back from the printer with “East vs. West” on the cover, I was stunned and outraged. I burst into Light’s office in a state of utter disbelief. He seemed stressed, perhaps because he knew exactly how I felt about the decision.                                                                                                                                                                                               
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 In the issue VIBE published after Biggie’s death—bearing the cover line “When Will It End?”—Keith Clinkscales inserted a publisher’s note which I was asked to edit. In it, he admonished the whole hip-hop industry to “increase the peace” or else we would “all have blood on our hands.” The irony of hearing an echo of my own warning—after two of rap’s greatest talents had died—was almost unbearable. When XXL magazine launched its preview issue, we all knew who they were talking about when they wrote, “We won’t get your favorite rappers killed.”

• Muthafuckin' Don!

After we completed a painstaking editing process, I passed the final copy to Editor-in-Chief Alan Light, after which we discussed cover lines. Dana Lixenberg’s photographs of Big and Puff were iconic. We almost didn’t need any words. Issues were going to fly off the newsstand regardless of what coverline we chose. I made a point of stating that we must not use the phrase “East vs. West” on the cover, adding that the situation was so tense that if anything happened to anyone in the Death Row or Bad Boy camps we would have “blood on our hands.” My suggested coverline was “Where’s the Beef? Big and Puff Kill That East West Noise.”

When the magazines came back from the printer with “East vs. West” on the cover, I was stunned and outraged. I burst into Light’s office in a state of utter disbelief. He seemed stressed, perhaps because he knew exactly how I felt about the decision.                                                                                                                                                                                               
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 In the issue VIBE published after Biggie’s death—bearing the cover line “When Will It End?”—Keith Clinkscales inserted a publisher’s note which I was asked to edit. In it, he admonished the whole hip-hop industry to “increase the peace” or else we would “all have blood on our hands.” The irony of hearing an echo of my own warning—after two of rap’s greatest talents had died—was almost unbearable. When XXL magazine launched its preview issue, we all knew who they were talking about when they wrote, “We won’t get your favorite rappers killed.”

Interesting what XXL said in their launch...

...again... you got to actually read the articles and not just look at the cover and pictures

-Quikness-

It was always a diss IMO

Like others have said,they was mocking how NY talk at the beginning. Suge knew controversy sells too. It’s interesting to know the timeline on this being before Jake Robles murder

Either way snoop came through and crushed the buildings .. but then hooked up with Biggie anyway  :o