Author Topic: THE GAME WANTS HIS RESPECT  (Read 334 times)

Sccit

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Okka

Re: THE GAME WANTS HIS RESPECT
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 12:38:56 PM »
He has a great discography.

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

Proc pka KP

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 02:24:54 PM »
He's bipolar, he'll probably have a change of heart later.

Safe+Sound

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 03:04:10 PM »
Honestly, I think Game had a lot of support from people who wanted to like him during a time when the West was on a slump. Other areas were starting to take off and the West was falling behind. As a result, lots of independent campaigns led by a number of west coast artists attempted to keep things afloat. But Game had Dr. Dre. This really gave him a boost over everyone else. That anticipation gave him more of a chance and also made people like me pay attention to him - I mean, Dr. Dre signed him right? Just think of what that fact does to someone's image. Everyone's watching. But I just don't think he really had the kind of impact those before him did. The bar was high and he didn't make the kind of splash I was expecting. He also didn't last long enough on Aftermath to really develop things. I think about Xzibit and how his lengthier stay at Aftermath really shaped his name (Also, Restless blows The Documentary - or any Game album for that matter - out of the water in my opinion). To Game's credit, I think his sophomore album in many ways topped his debut - it seemed like more of an effort to stay afloat after losing his Aftermath status while The Documentary was sort of riding off of other people's stardust.
As far as the albums after Doctor's Advocate, to me he drove off a cliff. The rapping, the style, the sound, it all went out the window. I know there are plenty of people who disagree with me - obviously, he sold a lot of records - but I just find it hard to really place him. Kendrick came around with something fresh that was rooted in Compton. Familiar enough but different enough to appreciate, which is something I think Game was chasing in his own way but never seemed to catch.
Game had some dope records but nothing compelling enough to call game-changing (no pun) let alone iconic to set him apart like some of his peers. Just my take.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 03:09:22 PM by Safe+Sound »

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 03:23:10 PM »
Once he started trying to sound like Kanye West, he lost me. Loved his first couple albums. I really noticed the style change on Jesus Piece.

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 05:15:30 PM »
Honestly, I think Game had a lot of support from people who wanted to like him during a time when the West was on a slump. Other areas were starting to take off and the West was falling behind. As a result, lots of independent campaigns led by a number of west coast artists attempted to keep things afloat. But Game had Dr. Dre. This really gave him a boost over everyone else. That anticipation gave him more of a chance and also made people like me pay attention to him - I mean, Dr. Dre signed him right? Just think of what that fact does to someone's image. Everyone's watching. But I just don't think he really had the kind of impact those before him did. The bar was high and he didn't make the kind of splash I was expecting. He also didn't last long enough on Aftermath to really develop things. I think about Xzibit and how his lengthier stay at Aftermath really shaped his name (Also, Restless blows The Documentary - or any Game album for that matter - out of the water in my opinion). To Game's credit, I think his sophomore album in many ways topped his debut - it seemed like more of an effort to stay afloat after losing his Aftermath status while The Documentary was sort of riding off of other people's stardust.
As far as the albums after Doctor's Advocate, to me he drove off a cliff. The rapping, the style, the sound, it all went out the window. I know there are plenty of people who disagree with me - obviously, he sold a lot of records - but I just find it hard to really place him. Kendrick came around with something fresh that was rooted in Compton. Familiar enough but different enough to appreciate, which is something I think Game was chasing in his own way but never seemed to catch.
Game had some dope records but nothing compelling enough to call game-changing (no pun) let alone iconic to set him apart like some of his peers. Just my take.

pretty good take

only xzibit was never on aftermath

The following users thanked this post: Safe+Sound

Safe+Sound

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 08:05:50 PM »

pretty good take

only xzibit was never on aftermath

Ah, you're right. I conflated Dr Dre executive producing two of his albums with him being on Aftermath. Damn, X got more of an Aftermath experience than Game and he wasn't even signed to the label. Wow.

X got "Bitch Please", then he got two whole albums executive produced by Dre, and then he got the Up In Smoke Tour... plus a ton of features in between with Dre like on The Wash soundtrack, Game Don't Wait Remix, Year 2000... man. All Game got was The Documentary and a feature on Compton for the most part haha. Can't hold a candle to X.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 08:11:52 PM by Safe+Sound »

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 09:03:24 PM »
Ah, you're right. I conflated Dr Dre executive producing two of his albums with him being on Aftermath. Damn, X got more of an Aftermath experience than Game and he wasn't even signed to the label. Wow.

X got "Bitch Please", then he got two whole albums executive produced by Dre, and then he got the Up In Smoke Tour... plus a ton of features in between with Dre like on The Wash soundtrack, Game Don't Wait Remix, Year 2000... man. All Game got was The Documentary and a feature on Compton for the most part haha. Can't hold a candle to X.

lol yea x did feel like an unofficial aftermath artist no doubt

Okka

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 12:01:05 PM »
Dre wanted Xzibit on Aftermath though, but Steve Rifkind wasn't having that. I think even Eminem wanted to sign X to Shady Records at one point.