Author Topic: Requested Eazy E "It's On" Source review  (Read 727 times)

tnp

Requested Eazy E "It's On" Source review
« on: May 18, 2003, 11:18:08 AM »
 It's On (Dr. Dre 187) Killa got 2 1/2 mics, with the following review:
The Source December 1993 issue
Production: Rhythm D, DJ Yella, Cold 187um, Solid Productions
Well well well. The hip-hop thugster Eazy E has returned, minus three niggas but still with much attitude. It appears that our diminutive chap didn't appreciate getting broken off something proper on Dre's Chronic album ("Eazy E can eat a big fat dick") so he has decided to devote the majority of his latest EP to pulling a few cards of his own. Eazy's argument is clear and to the point, accusing Dre of being: 1) a studio gangsta; 2) not owning Death Row Records; 3) having to give most of the proceeds from The Chronic to Ruthless Records; and 4) being threatened by his new business partners. I don't know where Eric gets these stories from (it's not what you know, it's what you can prove) but the bottom line here is how good a record you can make. And considering  that 1993 was all about Death Row, it doesn't seem likely that anyone could make a record or say anything that would diminish Dre's achievements.
  But everybody has to respond to getting dissed on wax, and Eazy wastes no time going for his. But for the sake of the memory of NWA's contribution to hip-hop, maybe he should have let it go. Eazy simply does not possess the ammunition to win this battle and he plays himself in the attempt.
  Eazy tries to dip into Dre's patented formula of "G-Funk" (synthesized melodies with high end flourishes) but instead comes up with a trunkload of half-hearted mediocrity. Perhaps realizing that without Dre behind the mixing board and the rest of the crew leading him along, many people wouldn't be interested in hearing him drop lyrics for a whole record, Eazy recruits a few rappers sentenced to Ruthless Records (Kokane, Cold 187um, BG Knocc Out) to help out. Unfortunately they aren't much help at all; their uninspired performances fail to save his ass on this record. Eazy really seems to be having a hard time staying on beat nowadays, and his delivery--which was once passionate, unique and endearing--now sounds like the last gasps of a defeated man just going through the motions.
   And production-wise, when you consider the slew of talented West Coast Producers currently available (DJ Quik, EA Ski & CMT, QD III, Ant Banks, etc.) couldn't Eazy have gotten a higher profile personality than DJ Yella, the man who is most famous for making it a cappella for a second on "Express Yourself"? But if you're a die hard NWA fan you will pick the record up anyway. And you will be rewarded on the three cuts (out of nine) where Eazy manages to pull it together.
  "Down 2 tha Last Roach" is a seven minute psychedelic tribute to weed, complete with a distorted musical track and off-the-wall rhymes. And, of course, Dre's damaging admission from "Express Yourself" ("I still express/Yo I don't smoke weed or cess") opens the song. "It's On" stands out not because of it's subject matter (that Dre and Snoop are busters), but rather because Eazy surprisingly manages to stay on beat for the entire song. The EP's best cut, a 1993 remix of "Boyz-N-Tha Hood," sadly describes Eazy's post NWA career. With its all-new musical arrangements (courtesy of Solid Productions) and slight lyrical changes, it is a pleasant trip down memory lane, but it just reminds you of how good things were way back when. Those classic days when Eazy, Ice Cube and Ren kicked unrelenting gangsta rhymes over classic Dre beats. But that was a long time ago. Today it is apparent that without the original crew to back him up, Eazy E is about as appealing as KFC without the Colonel's herbs and spices.
Written by The Derelict Todd B.

peace,
tnp

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
Re:Requested Eazy E "It's On" Source review
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 11:14:56 PM »
Yeah, I remember reading this when it came out...Total bullshit!

EazySteve

• 'G'
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 11:44:15 PM »
Yeah, recall that one Source!  Anotha platinum cut from the Compton thugsta

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 11:46:27 PM »
Total bullshit!
ya i couldnt agree more.... CLASSIC CD IMO fuck wut the source says they just shitted on Ruthless with this and Bone Thugs...... they left my 3 favorite songs on the cd outta the reveiw (real muthaphucckin gz, any last werdz, still a n****) and wudda they mean hes off beat? he sounds on beat 2 me and the production is perfectly fine 2 me

caTASHtrophe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 11:01:22 AM »
"Mutherfuck snoop, mutherfuck dre, mutherfuck Deathrow and hear comes my left blow"

LOL

Deathrow and co got served

;D

Citizen-Y

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 01:14:47 AM »
Anyone know how many units this pushed?

EazySteve

• 'G'
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 01:24:31 AM »
At least 2 mil.

40oz GRApHire

• Funk Doctor
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • PS: I'm still a Buddhist :)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2003, 10:24:13 AM »
Someone really needs to slap around their Eastcoast hiphop oriantaded "The Source" reviewers coz they have no knowledge when it comes to Westcoast rap.
40oz Graphire

EazySteve

• 'G'
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2003, 11:57:27 AM »
Nice pic of DRS lilmack.  They were tight...I wonder what the phukk happened to them.  They had some sick R&B rhymes.

40oz GRApHire

• Funk Doctor
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
40oz Graphire

40oz GRApHire

• Funk Doctor
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2003, 03:18:44 AM »
Damn now reading that again makes me more angry, fuckin' Source, Eazy-E came harder then Dre, thats a fact & the source was some Death Row dick ryders back in the day & still are.
40oz Graphire

ExZit

• CPG Recordz CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • COMPTONS MOST WANTED
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2003, 04:47:48 AM »
when ur makin a review of an album u have to bring BOTH the bad and the good sides of the album...

to complete 100% focus on the bad sides = bullshit IMO

- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2006 - - -

- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2005 - - -