Author Topic: Quik and his Crew (I need help)  (Read 469 times)

Storm

• Muthafuckin' OG
Quik and his Crew (I need help)
« on: August 03, 2003, 01:02:58 PM »
I need some help.  I have Rythm-al-ism and i think its an amazing album.  I really like Quik and his whole crew (Suga Free, Mausberg, 2nd II None, etc.) a lot.  I wanna get more of there shit and ive read some of the reviews of there albums but im still not sure whats worth buyin cause im on a tight budget right now and i don't wanna get an album if it just has a couple of real good songs and the rest being mediocre.  So if any of yall have some suggestions for me of which albums to buy it would be much appreciated.  Thanks a lot. Peace.
If tha bitch can't swim, then shes bound to drizzound!

BL7

Re:Quik and his Crew (I need help)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 01:06:41 PM »
Well if I were you, I'd get Mausberg's "Non Fiction" album next or Quik's "Safe + Sound". Can't go wrong with those!

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 01:38:59 PM »
^ can't fault those choices!

add Suga Free's Street Gospel to that list too.. all are must haves really :)

Suga Foot

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 02:09:07 PM »
Any album out of Quiks camp won't dissapoint you.

Funkadelic

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 02:18:53 PM »
You better get all their releases...  ;)

Gangsta_T

• T-Records CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • alldayeveryday another dope album!who can compete?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 08:57:26 AM »
yea safe + sound !

get that first of all !!!

after that you might wanna check out quiks earlier releases if you like the old school sound...
suga free's street gospel is dope too
and 2nd ii none released 2 tight albums..
get all quik albums btw ;D

REMEMBER: big dicks in yo ass is bad fo yo health!
Ice muthaphukkkin Cube

RIP :
Eazy-E, Fo Clips, Cougnut, Big L, Mausberg, Roger Troutman, Tupac, Notorious BIG, Big Pun, Mr Cee & Hitman of RBL Posse, Speedy Loc, JMJ, Tone Capone

FUCK Nelly & St Lunatics
FUCK the Neptunes & Timbaland
FUCK Puff Daddy
FUCK Murder Inc
FUCK Eminem & 50 Cent
FUCK all RnB Snitches & Bitches

"im rare as finding warm pussy in an igloo"

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 09:15:08 AM »
i'm hoping to pick up most of these when i'm away on vacation, from what i hear FLA has some dope-ass CD stores

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 09:26:40 AM »
I suggest you go cop Safe + Sound, that's a classic & it's really tight.

Storm

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 11:09:21 AM »
I ordered Safe + Sound, Street Gospel, and Non-Fiction.  I can't fuckin wait to get them.  If i like those ill get the other quik albums and maybe those 2nd II None albums and possibly the AMG album, but i havent heard much about those.  Thanks a lot for all your help. Peace.

Gangsta_T

• T-Records CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2003, 03:26:06 AM »
i prefer 2nd ii none over mausberg
Ice muthaphukkkin Cube

RIP :
Eazy-E, Fo Clips, Cougnut, Big L, Mausberg, Roger Troutman, Tupac, Notorious BIG, Big Pun, Mr Cee & Hitman of RBL Posse, Speedy Loc, JMJ, Tone Capone

FUCK Nelly & St Lunatics
FUCK Puff Daddy
FUCK Murder Inc
FUCK Eminem & 50 Cent

Storm

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2003, 07:09:22 PM »
The Suga Free album came today, its fuckin dope..."in a real way!" Im really psyched to get Safe + Sound and Mausberg. Do you think i should get 2nd II None or Hi-c (if he has an album), and if so which album? Or should i get the other Quik albums? Peace.

BL7

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2003, 07:19:25 PM »
The Suga Free album came today, its fuckin dope..."in a real way!" Im really psyched to get Safe + Sound and Mausberg. Do you think i should get 2nd II None or Hi-c (if he has an album), and if so which album? Or should i get the other Quik albums? Peace.

Hi-C has some albums, but they're pretty tough to find. He'll be rereleasing them though, so you can get 'em eventually. You should pick up Quik's "Balance & Options" first, then get 2nd II None's "Classic 220" album.

Kaidy

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2003, 07:24:19 PM »
Get Balance & Options next, you'll like that one. the Hi-C albums are hecka hard to find. 2nd 2 none's albums are both decent but not spectacular. umm id recommend getting the whole DJ Quik catalog first.

Another cd you might like is The Konnectid Project compilation. Lots of Quik, Free, Mausberg and others. that might also be hard to find though

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2003, 11:15:18 PM »
im gonna make it simple for some peeps by listing all the cd's out of DJ Quik's camp, especially since Quik and his crew are among my favorite artist

DJ Quik solo's

Quik is the Name ( Quik's debut with the classic song "Tonite", that song alone is makes this album worth picking up)
Way 2 Fonky ( like the album title says this album is fonky, i love this quik album, especially the song "Jus Lyke Compton")
Safe + Sound ( his most gangsta album, has a deathrow like feel to it, this is where Quik got really fresh with his production, it has that sound that will never get old, u can play this cd today and still think it was released yesterday
Rhythmalism ( my favorite quik album, flawless production all the way through, CLASSIC!!!!!! need i say more)
Balance and Options ( this album gets hated on alot cause i guess everybody expected another rhythmalism, still this album is one of his best)
Under the Influence ( a different producing approach for quik somewhat but still he has his vintage sounds, dope album)

DJ Quik's Crew

Suga Free - Street Gospel ( damn the production on this album is so fresh and it compliments suga free's style to perfection

Mausberg - Non Fiction ( Quik doesnt produce the whole album but the songs he does produce are vintage quik, mausberg was gonna be huge, RIP Maussy)

Suga Free... Mausberg - Konnectid Project ( this cd is kinda tough to find now for some reason, dope ass production from Quik, we get to hear all of quik's camp except for 2nd to None, some dope features like xzibit and kam, a compilation album no doubt but still worth picking up)

2nd To None - Self Titled (their debut and it has a very similar sound to Quik's debut, classic production by Quik and it makes KK and D sound better cause they aint nothing special on the mic but they sound so good over Quik's beats ;D)

Second To None - Classic 220 ( dope ass Quik production, more smooth than other production he has done, def. worth picking up)

HI C - Skanless ( good luck finding this album and if u do be prepared to shell out some major bucks for it, its worth it though, classic old school sounds all the way through, surprisingly Quik only produces like 1 or 2 songs by himself BUT TONY A does an awesome job and his production sounds so so similar to Quik's )

HI C - Swing'n ( i like this album alot too, TONY A produces most of this one too, No Quik BUT still worth picking up, this one is also gettin hard to find and its gonna cost some good $$$)

AMG - Bitch Betta Have My Money (classic old school shit, some funny ass rhymes by AMG, def. worth gettin)

AMG - Ballin Outta Control ( this is probably the worst cd out of all the members of Quik's crew BUT still this cd is dope, no Quik but AMG does some production, i like this album and its relatively easy to find and cheap ;D)

AMG - Bitch Betta Have My Money 2001 (a dope ass album by AMG, no doubt worth picking up, kinda short though but still good, Quik does like 2 songs but they are dope, especially Perfection)

AMG - Greatest Humps ( some recycled songs etc.. dont know much cause i dont own this one, the tracklisting looks pretty good though)

Gangsta_T

• T-Records CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2003, 03:42:02 AM »
nice list you made playa

i gotta say i definitly agree on that balance & options album...

i aint feelin those hi-c albums that much...
but anybody new to quik should stick to this list !
Ice muthaphukkkin Cube

RIP :

FUCK Nelly & St Lunatics
FUCK Puff Daddy
FUCK Murder Inc
FUCK Eminem & 50 Cent