Author Topic: Just saw Malcolm X last night - some thoughts  (Read 1307 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Just saw Malcolm X last night - some thoughts
« on: November 16, 2003, 07:24:08 PM »
It's a great movie, here's some thoughts I had though:

-The scene with the revolver is amazing
-It oddly enough doesn't show his siblings, who were influential getting him into the NOI, and his sister who funded his hajj to Mecca
-Denzel looks exactly like Malcolm with glasses on but when he takes them off he doesn't
-The NOI must have been really pissed at that movie
-The hajj is talked about at a press conference in the movie but from what I've read only his wife and a few close associates knew about it
-That scene when the reporters ask him if all Whites are Devils and he says he has to go, and gets an odd look on his face was accurate from what I've read about his doubts about that NOI teaching
-I've never read about Shorty before & I think he was made up for the movie
-Elijah Mohammed's son isn't in the movie at all which is odd, same with Farrakhan not being in it
-There are a lot of references to the Bible but only a few to the Qu'ran. I don't know if that's how the NOI actually works or if that's just for the movie

Anyone agreeing/disagreeing with my thoughts, please respond here.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

kottonmouthninja

Re:Just saw Malcolm X last night - some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 08:03:06 PM »
Wll since im not Muslim and black like you, I feel like I wouldnt appreciate it as much as you did. Know what i mean?

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 08:43:35 PM »
Yeah, I've seen it and thought Denzel did a wonderful acting job.  The things I wonder about, though, are whether or not this is how he really is, or if Hollywood just made a mountain out of a man, like they usually do.  

Don Breezio

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 08:47:57 PM »
Yeah, I've seen it and thought Denzel did a wonderful acting job.  The things I wonder about, though, are whether or not this is how he really is, or if Hollywood just made a mountain out of a man, like they usually do.  

yeah i wonder that too...but this was a great movie...another movie of this sort that i really enjoyed was "Ghosts Of Mississippi"...the Medgar Evers case has always fascinated me

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 09:01:11 PM »
I've tried to discuss civil rights history on here before, nobody gives a shit.  I didn't even hardly get any replies to my topic about Emmitt Till, and when I made a post on Martin Luther King day, nobody gave a shit.  I guess I'm white, so my opinions or thoughts or respect doesn't count.  

Don Breezio

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 10:27:37 PM »
I've tried to discuss civil rights history on here before, nobody gives a shit.  I didn't even hardly get any replies to my topic about Emmitt Till, and when I made a post on Martin Luther King day, nobody gave a shit.  I guess I'm white, so my opinions or thoughts or respect doesn't count.  

actually i've heard quite a bit about Emmitt Till and i have never known what exactly happened to him...can someone give me a bit of info on him? cuz i'm really interested in that...sadly trauma i agree with you...being white i dont think anyone would take our opinions on these subjects seriously.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2003, 10:45:20 PM »
I have alot of love for Malcolm X. Ive studied his work, read countless books etc etc

Based on my observations, and readings, I would have to say- in answer to your question Trauma- that the movie was a fairly good portrayal of the real deal
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

kottonmouthninja

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 10:53:07 PM »
but malcom x was one of the best muslims to ever live IMO

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 10:56:24 PM »
Read the Autobiography of Malcolm X, it's one of the best books I've ever read. He writes as stuff is happening in the NOI, so one minute he talks about his love for Elljah, then he sees his disillusion, and then talks about his beliefs without the Nations restrants. And Hollywood didn't make Malcolm X, the media did in the 60's, as the Anti-Martin Luther King. I do think Malcolm is right in his economic theory, and how in his case the black man, but I think it can mos def expand to latinos as well, need to stop indulging in alcohol, and drugs, and extra-marrital sex, and learn to live clean lives for the betterment of the community.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2003, 12:02:47 AM »

actually i've heard quite a bit about Emmitt Till and i have never known what exactly happened to him...can someone give me a bit of info on him? cuz i'm really interested in that...sadly trauma i agree with you...being white i dont think anyone would take our opinions on these subjects seriously.

emmitt till was a black kid from chicago (don't quote me on that he was from a northern state, i'm pretty sure he was from chicago but i kinda forgot) he went to stay with relatives over the summer in the south and when him and his cousin went into a store he saw a white girl he thought was fine and said something like "hey baby"  and she told her dad and the whole white community was outraged that a black kid would say something like that to a white girl......so the cops or kkk (all in the same  ;) ) whoooped the living shit out of him , so much that his face was unreconizable  and suprisingly enough he was still alive and they shot him in the face. they dumbped him in the river and to make a long story short these white people were put on trial to an all white jury in the south and were found innocent despite overwelming evidence against them. in protest emmitts mom  held a open casket funeral for her son (messed up face and all).

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2003, 01:31:03 AM »
^^^ yeah those crackers are evil

Don Seer

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2003, 01:32:00 AM »
sickening.

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2003, 01:36:36 AM »
sickening.
Yeah, those southern crackers really are.

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2003, 03:27:25 AM »
I have alot of love for Malcolm X. Ive studied his work, read countless books etc etc

Based on my observations, and readings, I would have to say- in answer to your question Trauma- that the movie was a fairly good portrayal of the real deal

Yep it was a brilliant film..i saw it at the cinema when it came out...

...credit to all who were involved.. in the film and production itself..to the researchers etc

Don Breezio

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2003, 12:00:50 PM »

emmitt till was a black kid from chicago (don't quote me on that he was from a northern state, i'm pretty sure he was from chicago but i kinda forgot) he went to stay with relatives over the summer in the south and when him and his cousin went into a store he saw a white girl he thought was fine and said something like "hey baby"  and she told her dad and the whole white community was outraged that a black kid would say something like that to a white girl......so the cops or kkk (all in the same  ;) ) whoooped the living shit out of him , so much that his face was unreconizable  and suprisingly enough he was still alive and they shot him in the face. they dumbped him in the river and to make a long story short these white people were put on trial to an all white jury in the south and were found innocent despite overwelming evidence against them. in protest emmitts mom  held a open casket funeral for her son (messed up face and all).

damn...thats fucked up...props for the info though...i've been wondering about that for a long time, are there any other things like this that happened that had a big effect on society? cuz i really love this shit but i dont know that much about it except the major political figures (martin luther king, medgar evers, rosa parks, etc...)