Author Topic: Killer of Dutch filmmaker jailed  (Read 919 times)

mauzip

Killer of Dutch filmmaker jailed
« on: July 26, 2005, 09:49:21 AM »
Killer of Dutch filmmaker jailed

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- A Dutch court sentenced the killer of filmmaker Theo Van Gogh to life in prison Tuesday, the harshest sentence possible for a murder that heightened ethnic tensions and raised concerns about homegrown Islamic terrorism.

Mohammed Bouyeri, 27, had mounted no defense at his two-day trial earlier this month for the Nov. 2 slaying of Van Gogh, whom he accused of insulting Islam, and told the court he would do it again if given the chance.

Presiding judge Udo Willem Bentinck said life in prison was the only fitting punishment for a crime that sought to undermine Dutch democracy and the political system. He said the three-judge panel had concluded there was no possibility for Bouyeri to return to society, citing his lack of remorse.

Bouyeri, wearing a black and white checkered headscarf, showed no emotion as he shook his lawyer's hand following the verdict. He had earlier told the court he had intended to die in the action and become a martyr for his faith.

Bouyeri has two weeks if he wants to lodge an appeal, but that appeared unlikely.

He was convicted of the murder, described in the judgment as a terrorist attack, the attempted murder of bystanders and police officers, illegal possession of firearms and of impeding the work of a member of parliament, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, whom he had threatened to kill in a letter impaled in Van Gogh's chest.

Bouyeri ambushed the filmmaker on an Amsterdam street, shot him repeatedly, stabbed him and slit his throat before thrusting his manifesto into his chest on the point of a knife.

Some witnesses said he was so calm "it looked like he was out walking his dog," the judge said, describing the murder and the subsequent shootout with police.

In his earlier court appearance, Bouyeri said he had acted in the name of Islam and felt no pain for Van Gogh's family. "What moved me to do what I did was purely my faith," he told the court. "I was motivated by the law that commands me to cut off the head of anyone who insults Allah and his prophet."

Bouyeri is the son of Moroccan immigrants but was raised and educated in the Netherlands.
Reprisal attacks

Van Gogh, a distant relative of the famous painter, was a social critic and columnist who attacked the treatment of women in fundamentalist Islamic households in a short film, "Submission," which offended many Muslims.

The film's scriptwriter was Hirsi Ali, a Somali-born member of parliament who went into hiding for several months after Van Gogh's murder because she was named in the note left on the corpse.

The killing led to dozens of arson attacks against Islamic schools and mosques and has strained relations with the country's 1 million Muslim immigrants.

The judgment referred to Bouyeri's links with a terrorist cell known as the Hofstad Network. He was said to have attended private prayer sessions with a Syrian spiritual leader, Redouan al-Issar, who is reportedly in custody in Damascus, Syria.

On Wednesday, another Dutch court will review the case of a dozen suspected Hofstad Network members. Though they were not accused of having links to Van Gogh's murder, prosecutors say they were plotting other terrorist attacks.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/26/dutch.killer.ap/index.html

'EclipZe

Re: Killer of Dutch filmmaker jailed
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 12:39:45 PM »
buh that guy is totally crazy in his head.

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 01:00:27 PM »
Im in shock that he got life sentence. I thought he would only get a few months. Since we live in holland

One day everything is gonna be fine
But until that day my only reply "westside till I die"  -TQ

West Up

Utreg 4 Life

J Bananas

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 11:54:03 PM »
oh yeah u get all feely when a dutch guy gets killed huh?

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 04:51:58 AM »

no, i couldnt stand the guy that was killed neither. But the reason why this dude killed him bothers me.

One day everything is gonna be fine
But until that day my only reply "westside till I die"  -TQ

West Up

Utreg 4 Life

Elevz

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 09:10:32 AM »

Oh yeah, of course a human life doesn't mean shit, so it doesn't matter if you take it away from someone. Huh?

Don Seer

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 09:20:34 AM »
^

Its that a muslim CANT diss another muslim.. no matter what they've done.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 11:01:32 AM »
shut up man
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

mauzip

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 11:08:06 AM »

so are you saying his jail sentence ain't justified?

Don Seer

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 11:13:36 AM »
shut up man

truth hurts king tetchy?

p.s. watch out Mauzip.. one of the failed british bombers is rumoured to have possibly boarded a coach to holland right after the attack failed..

mauzip

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 11:16:29 AM »
shut up man

truth hurts king tetchy?

p.s. watch out Mauzip.. one of the failed british bombers is rumoured to have possibly boarded a coach to holland right after the attack failed..

he'll be one of the many extremists out here :-\

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 02:24:40 PM »

I think we all know the blame for this terrorist murder lies with America's foreign policy.....

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 02:59:43 PM »

I think we all know the blame for this terrorist murder lies with America's foreign policy.....

LOLLL how the fuck is this a terrorist murder?
Who are you going to blame for your stupidity?

C-Walker mentality: Muslim killing whitey = Terrorist attack
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

mauzip

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 03:07:53 PM »
This is a terrorist murder cause this guy wants/wanted to cause tension among the people, just like how other terrorists have that intention.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 03:13:20 PM »
It's alright... Bush started a trend... bigots all across the country are now making up their own words and definitions for things...

I once wrote a really good essay about this created trend in an english test. I had to turn that test in though so I don't have it at home. I got maximum points and the teacher said it was brilliant and shit, so yeah I liked it too, maybe I ask him if I can get it back for a day to type it up. I don't see him before late september though lol. I think all this terrorist name-calling is quite comparable to the which-hunting attitude a couple 100 years back, for instance.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin