Author Topic: Is Rock Music Dead? Whatever Happened too Rock Stars not Pop Stars?  (Read 892 times)

Denial! Is Actively Joinin The Revolution

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Is Rock Music Dead? Whatever Happened too Rock Stars not Pop Stars?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 03:37:54 AM »
didnt rock die out in the 80's??
Hittman is not a real person. He was a computer program generated by Dr. Dre and Mel Man back in the mid 90's. When Dre started treating Mel-Man like shit, Mel infiltrated the computer and put a virus in the hittman program

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 05:32:05 AM »
^ naaaa. id agree with shallow wen he said 80s killed rock, but in general, like i said before, theres def a lot of dope bands out now.

Trauma-san

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2005, 06:13:56 AM »
The genre as a whole is dead, but like anything there's of course exceptions.

Flash back to the 60's, though, and nearly EVERY band was good.  About anything on the radio was great.  In the 70's, you still had tons of talented bands, the 80's I guess had your big stadium and hair bands, and the last stand for rock was the alternative scene, which tapered off about the time Kurt Cobain died.

Yes, Californication was alright, the White Stripes are the best in the world, Oasis are still strong, etc. but Rock as a whole is dead. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 06:30:54 AM »
id agree with shallow wen he said 80s killed rock,

I said that?

Rock isn't dead. They just call it hip hop now. Sabbath sounded nothling like Elvis but they were both rock, Floyd sounded nothing like Little Richard but they were both rock, and Jay Z sounded nothing GnR but trust me they were both rock. Eminem or 50 sound nothing like Nirvana sounded but they are all rock.

Rock and Roll is an attitude, not a specific sound.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 06:38:32 AM »
^^ in a way, you´re right. But then, Marvin Gaye or Parliament were rock music too

Flash back to the 60's, though, and nearly EVERY band was good.
were you around back then? Because I know people who were around, and they´d strongly disagree with you

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 06:52:19 AM »
^^ in a way, you´re right. But then, Marvin Gaye or Parliament were rock music too

Of course they were. I never meant to imply they weren't. If Elvis is Rock and Roll then you can't say Marvin Gaye isn't.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 06:55:18 AM »
^^ by that definition, you´re right. and by that definition it´s IMO absurd to declare rock music dead

Don Breezio

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2005, 11:16:12 AM »
Flash back to the 60's, though, and nearly EVERY band was good.  About anything on the radio was great.   

You don't really believe that do you? It doesnt matter what era of music you look at the market is still gonna be flooded with shit. The reason it seems like back then there was nothing but great music is because nobody talks about the shitty music because they didn't make it big. Same type of thing now the radio has just switched it up a  bit.....there is mostly shitty stuff on the the radio but there is A TON of good stuff available that doesn't get regular radio play

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2005, 12:18:00 PM »
id agree with shallow wen he said 80s killed rock,

I said that?

yes.

I know I said the 80s were shit, but I don't remember saying it was dead because of the 80s. I loved GnR, Metallica, 80's Springsteen, later Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc.

Trauma-san

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 04:50:47 AM »

Flash back to the 60's, though, and nearly EVERY band was good.
were you around back then? Because I know people who were around, and they´d strongly disagree with you

Oh, you know old people.  Great.  It's common knowledge that the music scene in the 60's was far, far more creative, and generally great than the music scene is today.  I've got a vast collection of albums, including many, many cd's and records of bands from the 60's, and yes I think I'm qualified to say that even your average bands that were around in the 60's were much more talented and generally better than your average bands around today, who don't have a spark of creativity and make cookie cutter rock music.  Most rock today is nothing but manufactured emotion by silly egotisticals who think they're the only one who ever fell in love with some girl who didn't want them.  Yay. 

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2005, 08:35:21 AM »

If you feel so strongly inclined why not do something about it? It's one thing to have such an ignorant view but i think it's very disrespectful to cut down those that are trying to come through and make music that people will enjoy.

If anything musicians these days have to be more creative than the one in the past because they have to have the innovation not to produce a sound that has been covered or is comparable. Lyrics wise, perhaps the creativity isn't there as much but i think overall censorship plays a big part in that. Perfect example is Bob Dylan, who wrote in "code" to express what he couldnt say as it was. Where as today's society is more evolved and musician's can express themselves more freely with the only restrictions incurred is felt by commercial radio.
"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

Don Breezio

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2005, 12:08:11 PM »
Trauma your always talking about the lack of creativity in rock now....but you don't realize there are so many great bands:

Keane
Sufjan Stevens
Sondre Lerche
Radiohead
Oasis
The Killers
Ray LaMontagne
Our Lady Peace
Team Sleep
Audioslave
30 Seconds To Mars
Andreas Johnson
Ben Folds
Citizen Cope
Coldplay
Damien Rice
Dave Matthews
Postal Service
Death Cab For Cutie
Iron & Wine
Modest Mouse
Muse
Ozma (though they recently broke up)
Sparta
The Decemberists
Third Eye Blind

Just to name a few.....how can you say artists like these arent creative? oh wait let me do it for you: future quote from trauma "every single artist on that list is just a product of the rock from the 60's....the 60's was when all the originality came out....atleast thats what my mommy told me"

yet all the artists from the 60's were just a product of the stuff from the 40's and 50's....music changes, music grows, and good music still exists....but we get people like you bitching about it all the time and it makes other people say the same shit when they haven't even looked for good music. The fact is bands are just as creative today as they were in the 60's

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2005, 01:30:31 AM »
Rock is dead, has been dead for a long long time.  It died about the time Kurt Cobain did. 

If Rock died with Kurt Cobain then Rap died with 2pac
basicly

but id say rap died after 50 cent came along em and dre were keepin it alive till 50 fucked shit up

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2005, 02:51:13 AM »
when bands like green day are making albums like "american Idiot" you can't say rock is dead , then like some one said earlier, there's ALOT of stuff that doesn't get played on MTV that is also realy great.

and rap has NEVER been on top, Rock music has been consistantly the best selling form of music for decades now, rap just gets played more on MTV and is marketed more in the mainstream

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09