Author Topic: Damn we are so relient on electricity these days  (Read 178 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Damn we are so relient on electricity these days
« on: November 15, 2005, 10:40:35 AM »
I've been without power all day, which meant i couldn't work from home so and and i need to work on my dissertation so i come into uni however almost all of it is shut, only the open access room with about 50 computers is open because there is not enough power backup for anywhere else. back at my flat there is no light, no hot shower, no heating and we can't use the oven or microwave because they all require electricity and it doesn't look like we'll get anything working again until tomorrow. on the high street most of the shops shut, all the cash machines were dead and half the traffic lights don't work....

Fire leaves 75,000 without power 

The fire broke out at the scrap yard in Poole on Tuesday morning
Up to 75,000 homes were left without power in Dorset after firefighters tackled a major fire at a scrapyard.
The blaze started at the Nelson Stanley yard on Alder Road in Poole. A large plume of smoke, which rose 200 metres in the air could be seen, police said.

Explosions were heard as about 400 cars went up in flames. One person was slightly hurt on Tuesday morning.

The fire burnt through a high voltage network line bringing down main cables.

Between 40,000 and 50,000 properties are still without electricity, a spokeswoman for Southern Electricity said.

Motorists are warned that street lights and traffic lights could also be affected by the blackout.

Councillor Graham Wilson, from Poole Borough Council, said: "I think it's diabolical that we could have such a risk, a known situation of a huge amount of power coming in over a scrap yard which has quite a high potential for this sort of fire, as we see today."

The Southern Electricity spokeswoman added: "We are in the hands of the fire service and the police and we are waiting to get on to the site to start carrying out repairs but we can't do anything until we get access to the site.

"It will be several hours before people can be reconnected.

"It's the main artery of the power network into the area, Bournemouth, Poole, Parkstone, the whole of that area."

About 80 firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the blaze as 30 police officers patrolled the cordoned off area.

Mr Coleman added the cause of the fire was not thought to be suspicious and that there was no indication that the smoke plume contained any toxic chemicals.

But people have been advised people to stay indoors with their windows closed and to avoid the area.

It is not yet known how the blaze began.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 10:44:05 AM by Don Rizzle »

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re: Damn we are so relient on electricity these days
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 10:42:24 AM »
hahna the local windmill broke down so Don Shizzles farm town is without power

my fuckin farmer relatives in afghanistan livin better than u

britian, step your power game up
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 10:43:32 AM »

i'm all UPS'd up here

Suga Foot

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 10:50:05 AM »
hahna the local windmill broke down so Don Shizzles farm town is without power

my fuckin farmer relatives in afghanistan livin better than u

britian, step your power game up

*cough* toronto/ny blackout *cough*

BC's power game is huge, we sell it all down the west coast.  We have backup power plants that we don't even use!

coola

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 10:51:30 AM »
that WAS the whole point of the industrial revolution... we aint no cave men no more dude...

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 11:28:36 AM »
my flats back on the leccy again yay

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 11:52:21 AM »
You didn't have any power so you couldn't cook or use hot water? I'd hate to live in your neck of the woods.

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 01:43:23 PM »
well we did have gas but theres only certain things you can do on the hob, but our boiler wouldn't spark so no heating

J Bananas

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 02:09:10 PM »
lol like some camel jockeys in a cave got it better than england. a day in civilized life without power is better than the greatest holiday in afghanistazastaniraq any day.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 03:35:06 PM by J Bananas Williams is Way 2 Saucy »

WestCoasta

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 02:32:20 PM »
lol like some camel jockeys in a cave got it better than england. a day in civilized life without power is better than the greatest holoday in afghanistazastaniraq any day.
:laugh: 8)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 08:53:22 AM »
lol like some camel jockeys in a cave got it better than england. a day in civilized life without power is better than the greatest holiday in afghanistazastaniraq any day.

youre an idiot, a lovable gullible entertaining idiot, but an idiot nonetheless
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll