Author Topic: RONNY TURIAF IS OFFICIALLY A LAKER  (Read 184 times)

wcsoldier

RONNY TURIAF IS OFFICIALLY A LAKER
« on: January 18, 2006, 01:53:11 AM »

Lakers sign Turiaf after open-heart surgery

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
January 17, 2006

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Ronny Turiaf is back with the Los Angeles Lakers less than six months after having open-heart surgery.

The 23-year-old power forward signed a deal Tuesday.

Of course, people would have some doubts about whether you could come back from open-heart surgery," he said during a conference call. "There is no worries. I feel comfortable that there is no risk."

Turiaf, a three-year starter at Gonzaga, was a second-round draft pick of the Lakers last June after averaging 15.9 points and 9.5 rebounds as a senior last season.

An enlarged aortic root was discovered by the Lakers in a physical exam four weeks after the draft, and Turiaf underwent surgery July 26 to repair the aortic root and preserve his aortic valve.

The contract Turiaf had signed with the Lakers was voided, but the team paid for the surgery.

"My expectation is to practice hard," Turiaf said. "I'm back to being a freshman in college. I'll make those guys' life a little bit tough in practice. I want to go out there and do the dirty work."

The 6-foot-10 Turiaf averaged 13 points and 6.3 rebounds in nine games for the Yakama Sun Kings of the CBA.

Turiaf said he appreciated the outpouring of supportive letters and e-mails he received.

"I want to tell those people it's going to take me a while to respond," he said. "I'm going to try to do it one person at a time. It's going to take me time, but I will do it."

To make room for Turiaf on the 15-man roster, the Lakers waived guard Laron Profit. He had surgery recently to repair a ruptured left Achilles tendon and wasn't expected to play again this season.

Updated on Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 8:55 pm

RONNY is expected to practice two weeks and to be sent in the development league (til MARCH) coz Phil said he thinks he hasn't the physical condition to play in the NBA yet. Ronny answered he's gonna give the best of him to show Phil he can play right now. I just like this mentality, this guy is a warrior , plus he's FRENCH  ;D

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: RONNY TURIAF IS OFFICIALLY A LAKER
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 10:17:32 AM »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 10:20:05 AM »
Our roster is finally balanced, this is gunna be GREAT...Especially with Ronny's attitude, he sounds so comitted to doing the best he can. He's gunna be a player in this league, just watch...

PG Smush Parker...Sasha Vuvajic/Aaron McKie
SG Kobe Bryant...Von Wafer/Devin Green
SF Lamar Odom...Devean George/Luke Walton
PF Kwame Brown...Brian Cook/ Ronny Turiaf
C Chris Mihm...Andrew Bynum/Slava Medvedenko

Coach: Phil Jackson

8) 8) 8)

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 01:00:50 PM »
i don't like them cats waving profit dude got skills,should have waived mkkey ass or slava, i like turiaf tho but still keep profit so what dude is injured yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

acbaylove

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 02:10:21 PM »
Profit is out for the season, man. If Phil wants him, Mitch could re-sign him in the next summer.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 03:36:04 PM »
i don't like them cats waving profit dude got skills,should have waived mkkey ass or slava, i like turiaf tho but still keep profit so what dude is injured yell

Like Antonio said, Profit is out for the season...Mitch will re-sign him next summer, if his services are needed. McKie is gunna be an important asset for us come playoff time, and Slava would have to be bought out due to his contract. Makes the most sense to waive Profit...PeACe

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The trains are NY veins, the city's a Psycho
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 05:12:57 PM »
Turiaf will def be a good addition to this Laker squad.

i believe he could bring toughness and a swagger to the Laker's frontcourt.

Great pickup i say!  8)

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8