Author Topic: How did the myth start  (Read 647 times)

herpes

How did the myth start
« on: January 22, 2006, 12:33:16 PM »
that most rappers are rich, they bring home big figures an shit.  Only 5% of rappers actually have money, most of them still live in the hood and even some what well known rappers work 9-5's.  Hell nature used to work in a jewerly store in mid-town manhattan.  Nas didnt move out of queensbridge till shortly after IWW dropped.  All the wu except rza an method man are broke.  Its all an act.  Jam master jay was up to debt to his eyes when he died.

wilz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: How did the myth start
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 01:46:15 PM »
because to sell records people have to look upto them and say "i wanna be like that" and idolise the artist. who the fuck wants to see some crackhead making minimum wage on the TV rapping about how much his life sucks. aint nobody want to hear that shit, people have there own problems and want to see/hear something to aspire to

[img]

herpes

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 02:14:32 PM »
because to sell records people have to look upto them and say "i wanna be like that" and idolise the artist. who the fuck wants to see some crackhead making minimum wage on the TV rapping about how much his life sucks. aint nobody want to hear that shit, people have there own problems and want to see/hear something to aspire to
most people i kno rather hear a rapper rap about the struggle rather then i got this and that money coming out the ass b/c most people can relate to the struggle, they cant relate to having it all.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 02:53:37 PM »
some rappers actually are rich before they even get signed to a major label (like Mr Slim Thug). Usually those who go the independent root actually do well for themselves fi they get a loyal fan base.
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Paul

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 03:03:29 PM »
to be honest the way i look at it is the richer rappers in the game are the 1s makin and distributin albums independantly, they are takin home much more for sellin 1 cd thn artists on a major label are
funkyfreshintheflesh

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 04:17:07 PM »
Redman kept it real on mtv cribs  ;D
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Dubz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 04:32:40 PM »
cus now everyone has a diamond chain and fresh clothes and shoes, even if they dont have enough money to buy a car.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 05:18:20 PM »
im wondering the same thing. how do rappers pay their bills when their between albums, or not selling?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

The Watcher

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 06:14:58 PM »
^ livin off profits (cant be that much), ghost writing, i'd bet that unless they're makin the $ that say eminem, 50, dre etc make, then they've got a side hustle of some kind
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 06:18:49 PM »
nah im sure the Wu have money, not just the RZA and Method Man.

Raekwon and Ghostface were some major drug dealers before and shit. Even the less know ones like U-God and Masta Killah have money.

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 07:59:14 PM »
yeah and what do you mean by being broke? u compare rappers with the richest ones or with the average american? And some of them never had money before so the get big checks but spend it all on shoes and jews

The Watcher

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 08:02:32 PM »
spend it all on shoes and jews

jews eh? i need to get me one of those
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 08:05:56 PM »

Sikotic™

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 08:31:17 PM »
Because they're ignorant. They don't invest. They spend their advances on new cars, other material things with decreasing value, and helping out their homeboys. There's nothing wrong with helping your people out, but take care of yourself first, increase your cash flow, and you can help more people in the end.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Eihtball

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 08:36:20 PM »
most people i kno rather hear a rapper rap about the struggle rather then i got this and that money coming out the ass b/c most people can relate to the struggle, they cant relate to having it all.

Nah, that's different.  Everyone criticizes the "Uncle Toms" cause they love to hate on brothers gettin their paper, but in the back of their minds, they know damn well they'd be doing the same shit IF they could.  Just look at 50 Cent...the underground loved him because he used to rap about robbing all the rappers he thought were rich, and now he's become just like those same cats.  Pretty much every rapper who crosses over starts flossin' as soon as they can, no matter how much they said they were gonna be "keepin it real" for life when they were underground.