Author Topic: I recently gave Dogg Food another listen after a while  (Read 1397 times)

Doggystylin

I recently gave Dogg Food another listen after a while
« on: March 01, 2006, 08:34:32 PM »
man ive been bumpin dogg food the last few days, i cant believe people like daz and kurupt made that album, its far too complex of an album for them to create alone, there had to be people helping out, no way daz made those beats and kurupt wrote those lyrics, kurupt is seriously ripping the shit out of every damn beat, im listening to the lyrics and im just stunned like wtf thats so sick

the production is just amazing, I guess whats strange for me is, how can a nobody like Daz, who never really had any musical experience hes just some guy in Long Beach who happenns to be Snoop's cousin come out and make these really perfectly structured beats and just professional level production. No way he just came off the streets and made these beats, either he took some major lessons from Dre or there was definitley some ghost production going on

either way this is an amazing album, hadnt checked it in a while and now im like damn, i forgot all about this, i was too young to appreciate some of the things on here when i first got this album

BTW was the instrumental version of this album ever released? if not then what instrumentals of this album are available? I know Respect is out there, can someone hook that up?

oh yeah my copy of dogg food is years old and all scratched up can anyone hook up the new remastered edition?

Nima - Dubcnn.com

Re: I recently gave Dogg Food another listen after a while
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »
u're tripping, daz and kurupt were extremely dope hiphop artists, kurupt was in the top5 mc's back then... why u think it's impossible for them to have been that dope? just cause nowadays they be talking alot of shit and changed don't mean that they weren't capable of that.. that's why they have such a big following who's still fiending for more classic shit like that..

Eihtball

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 08:42:40 PM »
Didn't Dre mix and master a lot of the beats?

Also, keep in mind that the album's best song ("New York, New York") was produced by DJ Pooh, not Daz.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 08:44:41 PM »
funny you posted this. i was listening to it yesterday and...its actually over rated. kurupt did his part. but daz, the guest, and some of the production is blahhh. still a great album, but not up to par with the other death row releases from around that time (chronic, doggystyle)
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

herpes

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 08:57:03 PM »
kurupt i dont know what the deal is with him, maybe he has the same disease prodigy from mobb deep where you fall off the face of the earth skill wise.  Nima you should ask kurupt one day lol.  Jus be like straight up no bull shit, wtf happened to you.  And Daz made those beats b/c dre mixed everything.  Daz's best stuff was mixed by dre or quik, everything else is average crap.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 08:57:21 PM »
Nima is right. Back then, Dat Nigga Daz and Kurupt the Kingpin were the shit. Kurupt was ripping apart anything and anyone and there were very few rappers back then that could fuck with him. Daz on the production duplicated the Dogg Pound work on All Eyes on Me on tracks like Ambitions of a  Ridah, Got My Mind Made Up. Remember Kurupt ripping apart "Got My Mind Made Up"? They were incredibly dope back then.

Now you look at them, Daz yells on every song and his production has fallen off horribly. Kurupt's voice has on these cracks in it from all the drugs he's done and he just spits gibberish. A lot has changed in over a decoade.

They were on such a high level back then, which makes their descent into wackness so difficult to comprehend.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 09:29:19 PM »
Daz's delivery was still hot, and I mean a lot of rap producers basically come outta "nowhere" and show to be musical geniuses. I don't know if Quik Batllecat or any of them received formal training either. And you can't even give all the credit to mixing...people think mixing really turns D beats to A beats. If the melody, drum pattern, and basic sounds aren't dope, it's no way the beat will end up bein dope no matter how good it's mixed.

JEMISON

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 09:34:46 PM »
i just dont understand why daz gets some much hate with his more modern beats.  As far as his personal albumns go Ithought the dog pound gangster lp was his best solo.  The beats are layback and the whole album has a good feel about it.  As far as production outside of that album, his had great beats like blaze it up, boyz in the hood, in my life, dpgc muzic, hittin donutz, im quiccer etc

E-L-P

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 21 & Over
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 09:41:34 PM »
Definitely A Dope Album, I Actually Like It Better Than Doggystyle. But That's Just Me.
Death Row Was Running Shit Back In 95. Too Bad Daz & Kurupt Aren't On The Same Level As They Were Back In The "Good Ol' Days"
My Future Wife:

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 09:48:11 PM »
Daz proved that he can still make tight ass "Dogg Food" esque beats last year by droppin "The Dogg Pound Gangsta LP."  He's just gone somewhere else with his sound.  Kurupt was probably really motivated to come up with the most clever lyrics back then and show that he was the shit, he's got nothing to prove now though.

Sikotic™

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 09:57:46 PM »
Yeah man, I was on a Dogg Food high for awhile too. I had Smooth on repeat like a muthafucka.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 10:04:49 PM »
And you can't even give all the credit to mixing...people think mixing really turns D beats to A beats. If the melody, drum pattern, and basic sounds aren't dope, it's no way the beat will end up bein dope no matter how good it's mixed.

true, but you gotta admit that when daz has his beats mixed by dre, theres something extra about em.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 10:06:48 PM »
What I liked about this album was its Universal side, I didnt really sound like a West Coast album..but the sound was fresh, and If im not mistaking Kurupt produced a track on there right?...and I didnt mind the universal sound of the record since Kurupt was from philly

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 10:17:06 PM »
Yeah man, I was on a Dogg Food high for awhile too. I had Smooth on repeat like a muthafucka.

Smooth is the best track on there... the beat is sick!

truedupbluedup

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 12:21:57 AM »
That cd is fuccin amazing Kurupt is on another level. Even Daz was rippin up the mic bacc then. even tho it sounded like Kurupt was writing most of it..