Author Topic: Who believes Jimi Hendrix is the Greatest Guitarist ever?  (Read 578 times)

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
Who believes Jimi Hendrix is the Greatest Guitarist ever?
« on: March 27, 2006, 05:02:00 PM »
today in my Music class for college we watched his preformances from Woodstock and the Monterey Pop Festival, which is funny since i happened to wear my Jimi Hendrix shirt.  Anywho Jimi, IMO, is the greatest guitarist we have ever seen, the man was amazing if you don't know what i'm talking about check out some of his concerts or check out his music. 
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: Who believes Jimi Hendrix is the Greatest Guitarist ever?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 05:08:41 PM »
I like Stevie Ray Vaughan better and I think that Clapton could be put on the same level. But Jimi is one of the greatest, no doubt about that.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The trains are NY veins, the city's a Psycho
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 05:09:34 PM »
that's weird...i'm listenin to jimi as i checked out the thread. he's real OG man, i wish he coulda stayed alive caus he was a genius.

do u hav any videos of his performances? i'd appreciate

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 05:12:08 PM »
Jimi was a good bass player too, this is a good article I recently read:

http://www.djnoble.demon.co.uk/ints/JimionBass.html

He played organ and drums on Electric Ladyland too but I don't know if it's confirmed what songs he plays them on.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 05:19:24 PM »
If people like Jimi I would recommend that they check out the people who influenced Jimi: Freddie King, Buddy Guy, Albert King, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf (Hubert Sumlin on guitar), John Lee Hooker.

Paris

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 05:24:24 PM »
jimi is amazing, just watching his woodstock videos and every performance hes done
the way he could milk the sounds out of the guitar were fucking revolutionary.

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 05:48:49 PM »
yeah man i never appreciated his music until recently the man was a genius no doubt.  it's a shame he died but he left his mark on the world.  My music professor saw Jimi preform at Woodstock and he said Jimi was nuts on the guitar.  He said "Jimi could play with his teeth or behind his back better than most people could play throughout their entire life."  And what's amazing is that he was lefty and while watching the Moneterry Pop Festival video in class i saw him covering his eyes and playing "wild thing" with one hand i was like fuuuuuuuuck. 

H Cottie:  i'm trying to look for some on ebay or on the net i'll let you know if i get some.
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 07:45:35 PM »
I like Stevie Ray Vaughan better and I think that Clapton could be put on the same level. But Jimi is one of the greatest, no doubt about that.

yeah clapton is nice, and carlos santana is a god damn good player 2

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 09:13:45 PM »
It's hard to say.  In my opinion, yes, Jimi is the greatest guitarist of all time, but not because he could outplay everyone.  He probably couldn't.

Eric Clapton is one of the most naturally talented guitarists ever, probably THE most naturally talented guitarist ever.  He loves his guitar, and he's like a great athelete, only musically.  He'd be like the Mozart of the guitar world.  God Given, natural talent.

There's lots of other guys, Steve Vai, etc. Carlos Santana could probably play more virtuoso than Jimi, and Carlos is very soulful, the soul of latin music runs through his blood, very soulful guitarist.

Stevie Ray Vaughn could eat anybody alive on a guitar.  The man was incredible.  The stories about his playing are legendary, again he had nothing but soul, he lived breathed slept a guitarist.  Probably the most talented guitarist to ever live.

Jimi, though, takes the 'greatest' card for me because of several things.  First, he truly was a gifted guitarist, just on technical merit alone you could make a case he was one of the best, although like I said Clapton and Vaughn were probably technically better.  Jimi also had Stevie Ray's love for his instrument, Jimi famously slept with his guitar and even kicked women out of bed to sleep with his strat.

The two things that set Jimi above everyone else, though, are that he was such an individual, had so much flair and PASSION that it bled into his music.  Really nice guy, soft spoken, a flower child, etc. and was colorful, intelligent, interesting... basically a larger-than-life figure walking through the music industry.  Somebody like Clapton on the other hand has little to no personality that bleeds into his music.

The other thing about Jimi is that he was extremely creative, from his passion and his heart.  Stevie Ray Vaughn played with plenty of passion... and his guitar was a natural extention of his soul and what he heard in his head, he basically played.  Eric Clapton is probably the most technically sound guitarist ever, if he hears a melody in his head, he can instantly play it in any key at a second, he knows every note on the guitar, and knows every key, every scale, and can play licks for hours without repeating himself.  Jimi, though, played with so much passion that sometimes he was sloppy.  He'd play out of tune, he'd play choppy and drop notes, he'd play notes out of key, he'd fuck up constantly... but his heart and his passion bled out of every note he played.  So I think although Vaughn and Clapton would never fuck up a note, Jimi's sloppiness shows even more heart and soul, and that's why I would call him the greatest guitarist to ever live. 

ecrazy

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 09:16:50 PM »
To Me, My list goes like this
1. Eric Clapton
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Tom Morello
4. Stevie Ray Vaughn
5. Carlos Santana

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 09:22:26 PM »
jimi is one of my favs, the other jmmy is possibly my number 1

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 10:06:06 PM »
He's probably number 1 in my book. Even though there are guitarists out there that are more technical and can do more virtuoso shit (Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen) he stood out. Especially coming out as a leading black figure in those times was an accomplishment. Dude was crazy, you see his live stuff, he perfectly synchronizes his wah effect with his playing, if you know what that is, its fucking crazy to do. Playing solos perfectly with your teeth? Yeah.

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 10:26:41 PM »
1. Jimmy
2. Clapton
3. Slash

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 11:32:08 PM »
i woudln't say that jimi is the BEST or most talented guitartist......in his time he DEFINATELY was, but i think once the mid 80's hit, there were artists that were just as good technically and ect.  but i'd definately say that Jimi is the most well rounded guitarist ever....blues he had it down, rock he had it down, jazz he had it down, country he had it down, flamenca, steel string, hell he even taught us all how to use a wah pedal....which gave funk it's sound, he was definately a major player in the influence of metal from his use of feedback reverberation and distortion, also IMO he was the most purest artist, like trauma said he had a great creative mind, the dude thought in colors and feelings.

so in a box i'd say yes he's the greatest guitar figure,  the most influencial guitar player and definately the most well rounded guitar player but not the absolute BEST.

i think when artists started moving away from blues and more to a boroque style we got our great guitar technitions

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 04:19:18 AM »
Somebody like Clapton on the other hand has little to no personality that bleeds into his music.

I can see how one could easily come to that conclusion, but the Derek and The Dominoes album is one of the most beautiful albums as far as emotional guitar is concerned. If you've never heard it I would recommend it because it's Clapton's most personal and emotional album by far in my opinion.

Paris