Author Topic: Van Halen  (Read 309 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Van Halen
« on: March 29, 2006, 07:18:02 PM »
I was just curious to see if anyone else likes Van Halen. I've been getting into them over the last while, I don't care much for their material with Sammy Hagar but I love the David Lee Roth albums. I bought Fair Warning yesterday, the last DLR album I didn't have, and I've been listening to it non-stop. That Michael Anthony is one hell of a bass player, same goes for Alex Van Halen on the drums. And of course, Eddie Van Halen is a great guitar player and is really good on the synthesizer on the 1984 album. And Roth....well that guy was just great. Anyways, song recommendations for people who want to check them out:

Ain't Talkin About Love
I'm The One
Little Dreamer
You're No Good
D.O.A
And The Cradle Will Rock
Unchained
Mean Street
Hear About It Later
So This Is Love?
Jump
Panama
Drop Dead Legs
I'll Wait
Dancing In The Street (cover)
Oh Pretty Woman (cover as well)

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

eNgIeS

Re: Van Halen
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 07:31:24 AM »
yep got best of both worlds

some ppl hate post-lee roth era but i disagree i feel both eras were good i guess lee roths was more rock n roll than Sammy Hagger but who cares alll the shit sounded good

Since we're onto 70's & 80's rock n rolll ill say Guns N Roses was my favorite, unrivaled favorite

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:09:56 AM »
yep got best of both worlds

some ppl hate post-lee roth era but i disagree i feel both eras were good i guess lee roths was more rock n roll than Sammy Hagger but who cares alll the shit sounded good

Since we're onto 70's & 80's rock n rolll ill say Guns N Roses was my favorite, unrivaled favorite

Yeah, the DLR was more rock and roll, I like it because it's simple rock with a good rhythm to it.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 12:28:46 PM »
im not really into 80s rock, but ill check it out.

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:32:13 PM »

Hell Yeah!
I will believe Detox when I hear a single for it and have the album in my hands.
but what if you loose your hands before Detox drops?

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 12:49:17 PM »
im not really into 80s rock, but ill check it out.

just watch the movie back to the futur

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 01:16:16 PM »
^ i love that movie, and a lot of 80s movies, i mean, i like a bunch of 80s music, and some rock, but in general that whole sound isnt my cup of tea.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 04:03:45 PM »
I like some of their songs with both DLR and Sammy Haggar.  Never owned any albums.  What about when they had Gary Sherone on vocals and it sounded like he was doing his best Haggar impersonation?  That was wack.  So whats the latest with them - are they doing an album, and who's on vocals?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 05:09:36 PM »
I like some of their songs with both DLR and Sammy Haggar.  Never owned any albums.  What about when they had Gary Sherone on vocals and it sounded like he was doing his best Haggar impersonation?  That was wack.  So whats the latest with them - are they doing an album, and who's on vocals?

Roth said that there was another reunion attempt, but it failed so I think the band is in limbo right now.

Paris

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 05:22:46 PM »
I like some of their songs with both DLR and Sammy Haggar. Never owned any albums. What about when they had Gary Sherone on vocals and it sounded like he was doing his best Haggar impersonation? That was wack. So whats the latest with them - are they doing an album, and who's on vocals?

Roth said that there was another reunion attempt, but it failed so I think the band is in limbo right now.

Hasn't that been the status for the last decade? 

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 06:42:13 PM »
I like some of their songs with both DLR and Sammy Haggar. Never owned any albums. What about when they had Gary Sherone on vocals and it sounded like he was doing his best Haggar impersonation? That was wack. So whats the latest with them - are they doing an album, and who's on vocals?

Hasn't that been the status for the last decade? 

Well they were back with Hagar for a tour a few years ago. But they were to get back with Roth according to Dave's accord, but they couldn't stop fighting.

Paris

xGlimpsex

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I. Will. Not. Lose.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 07:58:46 AM »
Yea, I dig 'em. My friend got me hooked on them. I like all sorts of music.
Hip Hop: Live, Breathe, Sleep it.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 08:04:33 AM »
The original line-up's albums was clearly better than the Van Hagar albums but I still liked a few of the later tracks. I liked "Why Can't This Be Love" and think Right Now is classic.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »
DLR van halen is the music i grew up listening to , my mom had a tape player in this old ass Buick riviera and had only 5 tapes......1984, Van Halen I, Van Halen II, Fair Warning, and AC DC's Highway to hell.....i have all of those albumsmemorized because everytime i had to roll with my mom  1 of those 5 albums would be playing from like the day i was born til she finally got a new car when i was like in the 8th grade.

if i had to pick a good van HAGAR cd to listen to i'd pick 5150

songs of choice:

Eruption
Runnin With the Devil
Top Jimmy
ain't talkin bout love
unchained
panama
hot for teacher
jaimie's cryin
jump
i love the intro to 1984
house of pain
top of the world
love walks in
beautiful girls
can't stop lovin you
right now
dance the night away
u really got me
i'm the one
atomic punk
ice cream man

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 08:20:28 PM »
I just remembered the greatest Roth/Hagar moment from when they were promoting there Sam and Dave/Sans Halen tour. They were on the 2002 VMAs. They dissed Linkin Park in a way that made me laugh for days. LP tried to play it off like these has beens were just trying to get in the spotlight but as far as I'm concered even washed up and filled with ego both Roth and Sammy are better than those clowns in Linkin Park.

I was going to summarize what happened but I found the video on YouTube. So here it is;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdZJFscd9Gw&search=Sammy%20Hagar