Author Topic: Death Row seized by Authorities  (Read 1102 times)

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Death Row seized by Authorities
« on: April 02, 2006, 01:50:45 AM »
LOS ANGELES - Rap-music mogul Marion "Suge" Knight skipped a court-ordered appearance at a hearing about his assets Saturday, setting the stage for courts to take control of his Death Row Records label.

Knight has missed several hearings in a legal battle since he lost a $107 million judgment last year to Lydia Harris, a former associate who claimed she helped start the rap record empire with her former husband, Michael Harris.

Michael Harris, an imprisoned drug dealer, says he put up $1.5 million to help start the record label — an assertion Knight has repeatedly denied.

A judge last month ordered the record company into receivership, which hinged on Knight's appearance at Saturday's hearing.

A court-appointed "receiver" would take control of all assets of Death Row Records, including a music library containing the records of such artists as Tupac Shakur, Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre, said Steve Goldberg, attorney for Michael Harris.

Lawyers for the Harris' said they would ask that Knight be held in contempt and jailed until he participates in the hearing to disclose his assets.

"He's had his last chance as far as we're concerned," Goldberg said.

A hearing was set for Tuesday to finalize the receivership and address the contempt request.

"We are going to ask the receiver to take ownership of the music library and auction it off," Goldberg said.

He predicted this could be "a death sentence for Death Row Records."

Knight's attorney, Dermot Givens, would say only, "We try our cases in the court and not in the press." Givens also did not appear at the hearing.

Givens had said Friday that he told opposing lawyers Knight would not appear Saturday. He gave no reason.

Last December, a judge froze Knight's assets, saying he and his lawyers had failed to answer questions and provide information in the case.

Source: Yahoo News

This means that sumbody else now has control over the Death Row vaults!!!! ;D Time 2 get releasin those old school, unreleased gems! 8)
I will believe Detox when I hear a single for it and have the album in my hands.
but what if you loose your hands before Detox drops?

Don Seer

Re: Death Row seized by Authorities
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 01:53:23 AM »
This means that sumbody else now has control over the Death Row vaults!!!! ;D Time 2 get releasin those old school, unreleased gems! 8)

nope.. they still cant release them for the same reason that suge couldnt.. (artists consent) and also.. they're talking about the catalogue.. that only includes released material (stuff thats proven to, and continues to make money)

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 01:55:15 AM »
^^^^My bad... Thnx 4 the info!
I will believe Detox when I hear a single for it and have the album in my hands.

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 01:57:23 AM »

its kinda like how michael jackon owns the beatles catalogue.. he just gets the royalties..

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 01:59:11 AM »
Yeah! And makes a fortune!

Peacock

• 'G'
  • but no worries, I protected my "investment"
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 03:02:04 AM »
haha them motherfuckers had it coming
someone go to their studios and get them masters asap and then post it up here

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 03:05:04 AM »
Knight's attorney, Dermot Givens, would say only, "We try our cases in the court and not in the press."

Lol...and that's why they don't show up at their court-hearing. Haha...speaking of contradictions ;D Way to go Suge!

cStyle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 03:17:25 AM »
someone go to their studios and get them masters asap and then post it up here

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 03:37:51 AM »
Do u think suge maybe wants to go into recievership for some reason ?

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

C-BLUE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • evil don't die
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 04:20:57 AM »
death row is now on the same level as ruthless records. actually i think ruthless is better off financially. i'm sure this brings a smile to Eazy-E's face in the sky.

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 04:46:48 AM »
NOTHIN' has actually happened yet besidez Suge not showin' up...

~Loyalty Is Everything~

ABN

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 05:16:51 AM »
if they auction this off then i think itīs pretty safe to say that both Dre and Snoop will try as hard as possible to buy their DR catalogues back. or atleast thatīs what i think coz most artists wanna own their music especially when they wanna release their Greatest Hits albums. oh well canīt say i feel sorry for Suge coz karmaīs a bitch.

Jip

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 05:19:33 AM »
time for dre to buy his shit back, whoever owns deathrow needs to sell that stuff

Don Seer

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 05:22:39 AM »

imagine dre bought his shit back.. re-mixed the chronic.. and added some unreleased gems or something...  :o

ABN

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 05:30:36 AM »

imagine dre bought his shit back.. re-mixed the chronic.. and added some unreleased gems or something...  :o
well that would be coming from left field lol. but if Dreīs smart heīll buy his DR catalogue back coz itīs prolly worth more then 20-30 million in the long run. and itīs damn near impossible to lose money in a deal that involves some of the biggest hip hop hits of the last 20 years. and think about the Greatest Hits albums he could be putting out :o i know that heīs bought the rights to the material he appeared on/produced with teh Wreckin Cru so in 5 years Dre could release a GH album with songs from 84-11 :o thatīs if he release anymore material but that would be crazy.