Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Dodgers Thread  (Read 23771 times)

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
Re: The Official Los Angeles Dodgers Thread
« Reply #570 on: May 25, 2009, 09:21:42 PM »
16-6 :bandit:

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #571 on: May 26, 2009, 09:06:14 PM »
Another win for the good guys! :bandit:

Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #572 on: May 26, 2009, 09:23:15 PM »
Dodgers are dominating.  I am not a hater like the majority of this forum so I can admit that.  I was wrong

DIP DIP SET SET

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #573 on: May 27, 2009, 07:30:14 PM »
Dodgers are dominating.  I am not a hater like the majority of this forum so I can admit that.  I was wrong

real shit man.  :bandit:

yet another win for the wrecking machine. a sweep to start our lil 7 game road trip.  :bandit:

what hypes me up is we have Manny, Kuroda, and Kuo missing. Wade isnt the same from last year, most of our bullpen is SHIT...and we're STILL the best team in baseball. 

kuroda is gonna come back next week, so our rotation will get stronger.  and many is a bit more a month away from returning.  even jason schmidt is pitching well in his rehab assignment!  our present is looking AMAZING, but what he have in store for the future is what hypes me up. 

this isnt the best team we can put out there...and once we get the best we have out there...then OOOOWWWWEEEE! :bandit:

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #574 on: May 27, 2009, 08:54:39 PM »
i don't like our defense sometimes though. i'm not going to get too excited until i see some improvements from that area.

also kershaw needs to stop throwing so many balls.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #575 on: May 27, 2009, 09:09:08 PM »
i don't like our defense sometimes though. i'm not going to get too excited until i see some improvements from that area.

for a 21 year old, hes doing very well.

he's going to have a great future in front of him. 

our defense doesnt worry me at all...its the bullpen that fucks me up.  i cringe damn near every time torre goes to the pen. 

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #576 on: May 28, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »

for a 21 year old, hes doing very well.

he's going to have a great future in front of him. 

our defense doesnt worry me at all...its the bullpen that fucks me up.  i cringe damn near every time torre goes to the pen. 
I feel ya on the Pen... we need to pick up some Set up Men before the end of the season.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #577 on: May 28, 2009, 05:18:06 PM »
what's pedro martinez doing?

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #578 on: May 28, 2009, 07:58:47 PM »
hahahaha fuck the mets :bandit:

THE DODGERS KEEP ON ROLLIN!! :bandit:

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #579 on: May 29, 2009, 07:37:27 AM »
Joe Torre apparently has never heard of the double switch

One thing that has been really bothering me ever since Joe Torre took over as manager of the Dodgers last year is that he basically never ever uses the double switch.

A perfect example was tonight’s game on the road against the Chicago Cubs.  In a very tight game with the Dodgers leading 2-1, Torre yanked starter Randy Wolf after he allowed a leadoff homer to start the eighth, and brought in relief ace Ramon Troncoso.

With closer Jonathan Broxton having thrown a ton of pitches the day before, Torre was obviously hoping that his second-best reliever Troncoso would be able to go two innings for the save (which was why he had even allowed starter Wolf to come out for the eighth).

But the pitcher’s spot was also due to bat 5th in the top of the ninth.  This meant that there was absolutely no reason not to make a double switch, because if the pitcher’s spot came up in the 9th, it would almost certainly mean there were runners on base and in scoring position, and in a one-run ball game you would certainly not want to have to bat a relief pitcher in a situation where runs were definitely needed.

But sure enough, as he has done ever since he returned to the National League, Torre did not make a double switch of any kind, and sure enough Troncoso made it through the 8th just fine, and sure enough the Dodgers got something going in the 9th, and sure enough Torre sent a relief pitcher up to bat with two runners on base and two outs, and Troncoso struck out swinging to end any chance of scoring further insurance runs.

Now, Troncoso was able to close out the Cubs in the bottom of the 9th for the save, but that is almost besides the point, because he did so in spite of some flat-out TERRIBLE managing by Torre.

There was absolutely no excuse not to make a double switch in the 8th inning, as the game was almost over, Torre was *clearly* planning to go with Troncoso for two innings, and he had his entire bench available.  Torre clearly never even considered it, however, nor did any of the Dodger coaches suggest it.

An artfully executed double switch is not only one of the most beautiful strategic maneuvers in baseball (and one of the main reasons why the DH is an abomination), but it is also a crucial tool in an NL manager’s toolbox to ensure that he maximizes his teams ability to score runs and his own ability to get more innings out of his best pitchers.

I’m not sure if Torre just spend too long in the AL, is getting too old, or if he never used the double switch, even back when he managed in the NL before, but it is shocking and simply unacceptable how many times this season (and last year as well) he found himself having to send a reliever to the plate just to keep him in the game, or found himself having to pinch hit for a reliever who was pitching really well, when these problems could have easily been avoided with a simple double switch.

But Joe Torre never makes double switches.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #580 on: June 01, 2009, 12:34:40 AM »
Joe Torre apparently has never heard of the double switch

One thing that has been really bothering me ever since Joe Torre took over as manager of the Dodgers last year is that he basically never ever uses the double switch.

A perfect example was tonight’s game on the road against the Chicago Cubs.  In a very tight game with the Dodgers leading 2-1, Torre yanked starter Randy Wolf after he allowed a leadoff homer to start the eighth, and brought in relief ace Ramon Troncoso.

With closer Jonathan Broxton having thrown a ton of pitches the day before, Torre was obviously hoping that his second-best reliever Troncoso would be able to go two innings for the save (which was why he had even allowed starter Wolf to come out for the eighth).

But the pitcher’s spot was also due to bat 5th in the top of the ninth.  This meant that there was absolutely no reason not to make a double switch, because if the pitcher’s spot came up in the 9th, it would almost certainly mean there were runners on base and in scoring position, and in a one-run ball game you would certainly not want to have to bat a relief pitcher in a situation where runs were definitely needed.

But sure enough, as he has done ever since he returned to the National League, Torre did not make a double switch of any kind, and sure enough Troncoso made it through the 8th just fine, and sure enough the Dodgers got something going in the 9th, and sure enough Torre sent a relief pitcher up to bat with two runners on base and two outs, and Troncoso struck out swinging to end any chance of scoring further insurance runs.

Now, Troncoso was able to close out the Cubs in the bottom of the 9th for the save, but that is almost besides the point, because he did so in spite of some flat-out TERRIBLE managing by Torre.

There was absolutely no excuse not to make a double switch in the 8th inning, as the game was almost over, Torre was *clearly* planning to go with Troncoso for two innings, and he had his entire bench available.  Torre clearly never even considered it, however, nor did any of the Dodger coaches suggest it.

An artfully executed double switch is not only one of the most beautiful strategic maneuvers in baseball (and one of the main reasons why the DH is an abomination), but it is also a crucial tool in an NL manager’s toolbox to ensure that he maximizes his teams ability to score runs and his own ability to get more innings out of his best pitchers.

I’m not sure if Torre just spend too long in the AL, is getting too old, or if he never used the double switch, even back when he managed in the NL before, but it is shocking and simply unacceptable how many times this season (and last year as well) he found himself having to send a reliever to the plate just to keep him in the game, or found himself having to pinch hit for a reliever who was pitching really well, when these problems could have easily been avoided with a simple double switch.

But Joe Torre never makes double switches.

i guess even tho we are the best team in baseball..people still gotta find things to criticize and bitch about.  where did ya find that article anyway? 

CHICAGO -- It is true that you win nothing for having baseball's best record as May draws to a close. But in the case of the Los Angeles Dodgers, they are on top by merit. The only reasonable forecast for them is for continued success.

They are first in the National League in runs scored, second in team ERA, third in fewest errors committed. The spectrum of baseball activities has been covered; the Dodgers are all right everywhere.

A 2-1 loss to the Chicago Cubs on Friday kept them from being a .700 ballclub at the 50-game mark. But being a .680 ballclub seems much better than a consolation prize, particularly when the Dodgers' lead in the NL West approaches double digits. It is distinctly possible that the Dodgers will not continue through September on their current 110-victory pace. But there is no reason to expect that they will finish the 2009 season as anything other than one of baseball's elite teams.

And in a way, their season to date has been even better than the record suggests. The 50-game suspension of Manny Ramirez was supposed to severely damage this team. It hasn't done much harm so far. The Dodgers are 13-8 since the suspension started. Their young and talented players have continued to improve. Their veterans are providing leadership and stability.

And it hasn't hurt that Juan Pierre took over in left field and has hit .411, with extra-base pop, since Ramirez departed. Now, with Pierre and Rafael Furcal and Orlando Hudson, the Dodgers have additional, enviable offensive components, greater ability to manufacture runs with small ball and speed. Last year at this time, the Dodgers were struggling to score runs. Now, even without Ramirez, the Dodgers have a lineup that is prototypically strong.

"These are usually the prerequisites for putting a lineup together -- speed at the top of the lineup, power in the middle of the lineup and contact at the back end of the lineup," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. "I think that's the way you put a Major League lineup together. That's the way you put any lineup together. And the Dodgers are fortunate that they have those ingredients."

For Dodgers manager Joe Torre, this sort of diversified offense was always a goal.

"The thing that I'm probably proudest about on this road trip is we won three games in Colorado and we don't hit a home run," Torre said on Friday. "For me, that's great, because that's all we talk about this year is: 'Think small. If you think small, big things will happen.' I always preached that with the Yankees, it's something that I've always been a believer in.

"When we got Furcal back, and then we were able to sign Hudson, that to me was automatic, one-two at the top of the batting order, two switch-hitters, two guys with speed, two guys, sort of pesky-type players," Torre said.

"And then there was Manny hitting third. I got a lot of questions about 'who's going to protect Manny?' Well, I think you protect Manny by getting men on base in front of him because then they have to pitch to him. And then when Manny went down, Juan Pierre, who we had hit ninth in a number of games, because we felt it was more advantageous for him to hit ninth than eighth, he caught on fire."

The Dodgers' tangible abilities are self-evident in their individual and collective performances. Their core of young talent, both at the everyday positions and on the pitching staff, is in place and indisputable. Other clubs have hopes for the future. The Dodgers already have assembled much of the future's cast. But to persevere over even one six-month season, a team must also have intangible strengths. The Dodgers are probably set up very well in this category, as well.

"I sensed in Spring Training that this ballclub was having a lot of fun, it had a whole different personality, and that was even before we had Manny again," Torre said. "There was no question that the way we finished up last year, beating the Cubs [in a Division Series], they were the best club in the National League, it did a lot for our confidence, our self-esteem.

"I think the additions of [Mark] Loretta and [Brad] Ausmus, aside from their ability and their ability to come off the bench, their personalities in the clubhouse, their professionalism really helps keep this club together."

Last season, Torre's first in Los Angeles, had to be a work in progress. The Dodgers had talent and Torre had a splendid managerial reputation. But everybody involved had to become more than casual acquaintances.

"I think we have young players that are growing," Torre said. "But I think they've had a little help along the way, Manny being part of that. I think Casey Blake has helped these guys understand what that growth is. I think last year we came on board, and we had a bunch of young players here that knew they were talented, but I don't think they knew for sure what that meant.

"Their work ethic, it's not that they didn't work before, but I'm not sure they really knew exactly what the process was. Again, probably because they were highly touted coming out of the Minor Leagues, a lot of times young players when they get to the big leagues say: 'OK, I've done it.' But that's when the work starts.

"I'm not sure they necessarily believed what we were saying to them last year, even though they were very respectful. But I had just come on board. You know, trust is something you have to earn. I think it's a two-way street, as far as my trusting them, and them trusting what we were trying to do."

It is far too early for congratulations. But it is not too early to notice how superbly the 2009 Dodgers have played, and how bright their future appears.

:bandit:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:38:30 AM by Something WyKiD This Way Comes »

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #581 on: June 01, 2009, 12:37:46 AM »
crazy series we just had...we beat the mets 2-1, they beat us 1-2 the next day...they shut us out (first time this season we been shut out), and we put a hurting on them the next day.  :bandit:

5 out of 7 for this road trip is fucking great. :bandit:

KURODA comes back to day!!!  HERO!!!!!  time to wreck some shit!!! :bandit:

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #582 on: June 01, 2009, 12:39:11 AM »
interesting tidbit...the dodgers longest loosing streak this year is TWO GAMES!  hahahaha :bandit:

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #583 on: June 01, 2009, 09:27:48 AM »
i guess even tho we are the best team in baseball..people still gotta find things to criticize and bitch about.  where did ya find that article anyway?

http://umpbump.com/press/

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #584 on: June 02, 2009, 10:54:46 AM »
what's pedro martinez doing?

he probably hurt himself picking up his toothbrush.