Author Topic: full role of a producer  (Read 306 times)

4 KiN L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Me Beamer...
full role of a producer
« on: February 19, 2002, 03:19:05 PM »
i wanna do this little write up for a project i am working on...and i just wanted someone to give me a really detailed description of the role of a producer. i know bits and bats about it myself but i nedd a really detailed passage...

if anyone has time...it needs to talk about where producer comes into the works...from there being no beat and no lyrics to a completed produced track...every aspect of what the producer does...and also from having all the tracks done...to producing an album...

plz a full detailed description of everything the producer has to do...everything...from there being no tracks...to a track(s) and then the producing of an album....

CREDIT WILL BE GIVEN IF I USE IT AND GO AHEAD WITH THE PROJECT!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Game_CEO

• Lil Geezy
Re: full role of a producer
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2002, 09:24:15 PM »
No offense but you have come to the WRONG place to ask shit like this! The last people in the world you want to ask is a bunch of rap fans who have no clue what a producers job is. Ive seen time & time again where fools post that if you make beats, you are a producer. WRONG! Find your way to a professional music forum instead homie, you're 1000% more likely to get credible answers there.

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2002, 09:39:10 PM »
LAME_CEO... if you can't stop being confrontational in every damn post you make get off your high horse and go back to bitch fighting with Damon-(se)X (offender).

Producing from a hiphop perspective is a little different than for any other form, especially due to the use of samplers etc. hiphop ("underground" shit especiallly) has relied heavily upon finding beats to sample. Most often these are deconstructed, rearranged and looped. When combined with other sample layers - most often 'open' sections of music e..g horns, bass etc this provides the rest of the song. (or they may be made "open" by filtering them).
That is what a lot of people understanding of a hiphop producer is.

The next level up will integrate replaying of elements which couldnt be made open, or to change them slightly to suit the producers ear. now... hiphop purists would have the producer play these parts (its often used to diss e.g. like saying Scott Storch wrote Still Dre coz he played keyboard on it) but in reality session musicians are common practice.

The producer oversee's (hehe) the whole formulation of a song.

ExZit

• CPG Recordz CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • COMPTONS MOST WANTED
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2002, 11:26:19 PM »
what about the vocal producing? :-/
- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2006 - - -

- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2005 - - -

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2002, 11:48:05 PM »
you could count that as another layer.

4 KiN L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Me Beamer...
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2002, 12:51:30 AM »
No offense but you have come to the WRONG place to ask shit like this! The last people in the world you want to ask is a bunch of rap fans who have no clue what a producers job is. Ive seen time & time again where fools post that if you make beats, you are a producer. WRONG! Find your way to a professional music forum instead homie, you're 1000% more likely to get credible answers there.

no offense taken...but where i am not signed up to no boards like and i simply can't be arsed signing up just to be a 1 post 4kin wonder!!

Game_CEO

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2002, 06:17:43 AM »
LAME_CEO... if you can't stop being confrontational in every damn post you make get off your high horse and go back to bitch fighting with Damon-(se)X (offender).

Look at this chump. I garauntee I know a lot more about this then you do so we'll see who the lame is by the end of this post.

"Producing from a hiphop perspective is a little different than for any other form, especially due to the use of samplers etc."

WRONG. Producing is producing whether its country, rap, pop, r&b, classical, symphony, rock, whatever. Samplers are commonly used in ALL genres of music so UMM NO, the use of samplers in rap music doesnt magically change the definition of a producer. Let me try to hold in my laugh now.

"hiphop ("underground" shit especiallly) has relied heavily upon finding beats to sample. Most often these are deconstructed, rearranged and looped."

This is only true if you are someone like DJ Premier who doesnt actually play an instruments. Some people, usually because of the lack of being able to play instruments themselves, rely on sampling other peoples work. The whole idea of chopping the samples up and rebuilding a beat came about when the big wave of lawsuits started for copyright infringement. In on aspect you are right, rap music has relied heavily on sampling other peoples work but that is mostly in the past and its for the reason I already gave. It gave people who wernt musicians and didnt really have any musical talent/ability of their own to make music.

"When combined with other sample layers - most often 'open' sections of music e..g horns, bass etc this provides the rest of the song. (or they may be made "open" by filtering them)."

This doesnt even make any sense. What is 'making a sample open'? What does filtering have to do with anything? Although I already know what you are trying to get at, Im going to have you explain it just so I can embarass you even more.

"That is what a lot of people understanding of a hiphop producer is."

I will agree with this AND its also the reason that most people dont know what the fuck they are talking about when it comes to being a producer. Which is why I suggested the original poster go to a real professional audio message forum instead of asking questions like this here. He WILL NOT get a correct and well-informed answer here, as your response proves.

"The next level up will integrate replaying of elements which couldnt be made open, or to change them slightly to suit the producers ear. now... hiphop purists would have the producer play these parts (its often used to diss e.g. like saying Scott Storch wrote Still Dre coz he played keyboard on it) but in reality session musicians are common practice.

Wow, this sounds amazingly familiar to a post I made a while back. Studio musicians ARE common practice and everyone uses them from Dr. Dre to Jermaine Dupri to Teddy Riley to Babyface to every other well known producer. People always talk shit about Dre not playing the instruments in the songs he produces. THATS BECAUSE ITS NOT HIS FUCKIN JOB! And NO, studio musicians arnt hired just to replay parts of other songs because BY LAW, its no different than sampling IF you still capture the essence of the original piece.

The producer oversee's (hehe) the whole formulation of a song.

This is yet another MISTAKE people make. Thinking that because they make beats, they are a producer. WRONG WRONG WRONG. A producer can be compared to say a conductor of an orchestra or the foreman of a construction site. IN BASIC TERMS, the producers job is to translate a musical idea into an actual piece of work. Sometimes producers themselves do play instruments and when they do that they are taking on two roles...producer & musician. Please get this through your head though, making beats DOES NOT make you an actual producer. I know the definition I posted might confuse you because of that but remember, that definition is in very basic terms. PLEASE find your way to a professional audio forum and ask this question in front of people who do it for a living. Whatever you do, dont take these peoples word for it when they probably have never been into a real studio, never engineered recording sessions, never had any product on the shelf, never been anything more than a fan with a dream of being Dre or Snoop.

Again, no offense, Im just trying to point you in the right direction so you can get the best and most accurate answer to your quesiton.

And Overqueer, you obviously dont work in the business or do this for a living. Let the people who know what theyre talking about help this guy out. Get in where you fit in, which aint answering questions like these.

Oh yeah, heres an outrageous idea... How about people dont rely on sampling other peoples work to make rap songs? How about all these losers with a million-dollar dream actually learn to play the keyboards & guitars themselves. You know, do something that takes a little more talent than recording others work into a sampler and trying to chop it up enough so you wont have to pay royalties to the copyright holder. God bless groups like THE ROOTS (which is where Scott Storch got his break as a musician).

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2002, 06:58:46 AM »
who care's who knows what.. u don't get it do ya?
posturing doesn't get you anywhere.

This is a community - not a territorial pissing arena.

Apart from that.. yes you are quite correct, I stopped short because I was at work and didn't have time. I don't do this for a living, or even aspire to - I do it to talk in a civilsed manner with my peer's.

Game_CEO

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2002, 07:23:28 AM »
who care's who knows what.. u don't get it do ya?

I care. Theres enough people out there with the wrong idea, wrong definition, wrong impression, etc of things. Whats the crime in wanting the people who do actually know what theyre talking about to shed some light on the ones who have it wrong? You mentioned this is a community and I wholely agree. But do you want the people in your community to be misinformed? I dont.

The essence of my reply to this guy was basically 'you should ask that question in a forum where people do that kind of work for a living'. Thats not exactly what I would call bad advice.

Im sure you dont give a fuck but thats my $.02 anyway. Peace!

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2002, 08:49:45 AM »

I care. Theres enough people out there with the wrong idea, wrong definition, wrong impression, etc of things. Whats the crime in wanting the people who do actually know what theyre talking about to shed some light on the ones who have it wrong?

Fair enough man, but there's no need to come out like that and be totally ignorant about it.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Game_CEO

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2002, 01:40:53 PM »

Fair enough man, but there's no need to come out like that and be totally ignorant about it.

Just yourself homie cuz nothing I said is ignorant.

engelwood

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2002, 01:56:25 PM »

Just yourself homie cuz nothing I said is ignorant.

Uhh...

"LIL_C.S." Has been in a real studio...

Im pretty sure He does it for a living,

and he has a product on the shelf...

Its banging... You should cop it...

"Whatever you do, dont take these peoples word for it when they probably have never been into a real studio, never engineered recording sessions, never had any product on the shelf, never been anything more than a fan with a dream of being Dre or Snoop."

What you said was kind of ignorant.

Im not trying to cause any trouble, just letting you know that some artists do post and read this board...

-Engelwood

Don Seer

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2002, 07:49:26 PM »
yup and mr.loc - who is currently working with flawless entertainment.

Suga Foot

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2002, 08:04:29 PM »
I've sat in on recording sessions before.  It was one of the greatest experiences of my life.  I got to do some drum programming.

4 KiN L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Me Beamer...
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2002, 09:33:06 AM »
don't nobody fall out over this...if anything game_CEO has given me the best information...he is right that i should ask professionals on a professional board...evryone hatin on him but he was aying that more ppl there know than the amount of ppl here...a few ppl might know...but not as many as on one of the baords he is recomending.......