Author Topic: THE WEST COAST ISNT ON TOP  (Read 568 times)

SGV

Re: THE WEST COAST ISNT ON TOP
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2006, 05:53:15 AM »
If UGK can return to the game on top after being rapping for years, then so can DPG. Am I the only

nigga on this forum feeling "Cali iz Active". My personal opinion is that 2006 is a great year for the West

when Cube, Game, Daz (so so def), Snoop, Xzibit, DPGC, and WC are all dropping this year.

All those southern rappers on top aren't new so what makes you think that old rappers from the west

can't make a big comeback. (all they need is unity and the right promotion)

The difference between UGK making a comeback is this: They're not making tracks like they were doing on "Ridin' Dirty." Unfortunately, the DPG are making mid 90s G-Funk tracks... It's 2006. The West Coast needs to act like it's 06 and not 96.

doubletrouble™

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • .. ChErch! ..
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 06:52:20 AM »
If UGK can return to the game on top after being rapping for years, then so can DPG. Am I the only

nigga on this forum feeling "Cali iz Active". My personal opinion is that 2006 is a great year for the West

when Cube, Game, Daz (so so def), Snoop, Xzibit, DPGC, and WC are all dropping this year.

All those southern rappers on top aren't new so what makes you think that old rappers from the west

can't make a big comeback. (all they need is unity and the right promotion)

The difference between UGK making a comeback is this: They're not making tracks like they were doing on "Ridin' Dirty." Unfortunately, the DPG are making mid 90s G-Funk tracks... It's 2006. The West Coast needs to act like it's 06 and not 96.

So tha West needs to make those Crunk tracks...........? Fuck Outta Here !!!

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2006, 08:48:44 AM »
^^

No, they just need to come with something new. Gangsta rap is such a big part of West Coast hip-hop though that it will never be faded from the music entirely - some of those basic elements have rooted themselves too deeply to get rid of now. That doesn't mean you can't do something original though.

People need to do it like in the 80's - back then you always had to come with something fresh. What some people try to do is follow a successfull pattern. That might work here and there, but eventually you need to come with something fresh. The same ol' shit won't fly 'til the end of time.

Classics will always be classics - Coca-Cola is always Coca-Cola. But even good ol' Coke needs to put a twist on things to stay up there - Coke with Lemon, Coke with Lime...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 08:52:06 AM by T-Dogg »

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2006, 08:53:30 AM »
^^

No, they just need to come with something new. Gangsta rap is such a big part of West Coast hip-hop though that it will never be faded from the music entirely - some of those basic elements have rooted themselves too deeply to get rid of now. That doesn't mean you can't do something original though.

People need to do it like in the 80's - back then you always had to come with something fresh. What some people try to do is follow a successfull pattern. That might work here and there, but eventually you need to come with something fresh. The same ol' shit won't fly 'til the end of time.

Classics will always be classics - Coca-Cola is always Coca-Cola. But even good ol' Coke needs to put a twist on things to stay up there - Coke with Lemon, Coke with Lime...
I love the Coke comparison. Good point.

SGV

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2006, 10:24:09 AM »

So tha West needs to make those Crunk tracks...........? Fuck Outta Here !!!

If that's what you think they need... Then sure. The Bay has Hyphy. What does L.A. have? Tired ass G-Funk. The South has Crunk. The East doesn't have one specific sound, nor does the Midwest, but their sounds have been updated entirely. L.A. is still stuck in 1994 and shit. The fans just won't let go, which leads to the artists not letting go. C'mon... Ya'll can't stay in 4th Grade forever. It's time to grow up and mature L.A.

guncoke

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2006, 12:26:54 PM »
from the end of 2005, i kept hearing in 2006, the west will reach top. but how will the west coast do that? here is what i think, the best way that would happen is if the new artist go do something more effective and move on to the next step of getting famous. most of the artists just keep dissin' or beefin' the next rapper to gain fame. they all have to stop worryin' about that, work on some good tracks, get signed to a label with a distribution deal and then work hard to make a classic album. but in order for that to work, all of them have to do that. they got to release one album after another. just like what the south is doing. in every record store on every tuesday, there is a new album from the south on the new releases section. the more artists they throw into the industry, the bigger chances the west can be on top. and i'm talking about the new young cats doing it that are hungry to shine. back in the early 1990s, it wasn't just dr dre, snoop dogg, ice cube or just ONE rapper doing it big, it was many rappers from the same coast doing big and getting they records in the record store. all they have to do is get a deal, then make an album right away.

3rdmass

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2006, 02:42:51 PM »
the ones bringing the west back are them:www.myspace.com/picassos