Author Topic: Don't you think it's ironic...  (Read 651 times)

Eihtball

Don't you think it's ironic...
« on: April 15, 2006, 06:55:16 PM »
...how so many West Coast rappers contradict themselves over time?  Back in the early days, they used to play innocent and say they were just portraying the life, now they act as if they're the hardest gangbangers alive.  Some examples:

Dr. Dre: Goes without saying...this is the same cat who once rapped "I don't smoke weed or sess/Cause it's known to give a brother brain damage/And brain damage on the mic don't manage" on "Express Yourself" and then released an album called "The Chronic".

WC:
Then: "If you ain't got a rep, you gotta claim your set/But I don't bang, y'all, so what can I say?/I'm just a funky rapper from around the way." - "Out on a Furlough" (1991)
Now: Stood right besides Snoop while he told other rappers "Nigga, quit Crip-Walking if ya ain't a gang banger." - "The Streets Re-Twist" (2002)

MC Eiht:
Then: "Me sell dope?  Um, sir.  I'm a rap singer...Won't go down like the Compton gangbanger." - "One Time Gaffled 'Em Up" (1990)
Now: "All I ever wanted to be was a ridah...gat in my waist, Six-'Fo slider." - "Neighborhood Boyz" (2006)

Above The Law:
Then: "Criminals don't use lyrics and define themselves as notorious." - "Murder Rap" (1990)
Now: They went from just "Livin' Like Hustlers" to calling themselves "Black Mafia Life".  Hmmm?

Jip

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Don't you think it's ironic...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 07:12:17 PM »
when dr dre released the chronic im sure it was a metaphor for something

Eihtball

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 07:16:43 PM »

Indeed, but it's not as if he never referenced "endonesia" on record all of a sudden.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 07:19:34 PM »
i think its more ironic that you think only west coast rappers contradict themselves
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Eihtball

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 07:25:33 PM »
i think its more ironic that you think only west coast rappers contradict themselves

Did I ever say that?  No.  I'm simply looking at them for the purpose of this topic.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 07:29:07 PM »

chronic ment the bomb meaning the the best shit...

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 07:37:24 PM »
Plus, one has to consider the fact that Dre's rhymes on "Express Yourself" were more than likely ghostwritten, so who knows...There was a 4 year period between that line and "The Chronic" coming out. I wouldn't look too much into it. Everyone contradicts themselves at one point or another, even Dre and all those artists mentioned are human as well.

Eihtball

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 07:41:49 PM »
Plus, one has to consider the fact that Dre's rhymes on "Express Yourself" were more than likely ghostwritten, so who knows...There was a 4 year period between that line and "The Chronic" coming out. I wouldn't look too much into it. Everyone contradicts themselves at one point or another, even Dre and all those artists mentioned are human as well.

I just think it's kinda funny how most of the West Coast gangstas used to be on some positive shit at the beginning of their careers, and then they just started wrapping themselves up in the gangsta lifestyle.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 07:44:53 PM »
I just think it's kinda funny how most of the West Coast gangstas used to be on some positive shit at the beginning of their careers, and then they just started wrapping themselves up in the gangsta lifestyle.

yeah rap changed a lot during the late 80's - early 90's. at first it was all about sending a message, then it switched to say what ever you have to to get people to think your a gangsta.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Eihtball

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 07:52:29 PM »
yeah rap changed a lot during the late 80's - early 90's. at first it was all about sending a message, then it switched to say what ever you have to to get people to think your a gangsta.

Most def...that's how it was when I was first getting into hip-hop.  But it's funny to me how so many of these cats already declared themselves as being non-gangstas on record, and now 15 years later, act like they never said that.  It's especially ironic with WC and Eiht, cause they've milked their (supposed) Crip backgrounds to the max on recent albums.

And I know it happens on the East Coast, too.  Just look at Tragedy Khadafi...he ain't at all like he used to be when he was in the Juice Crew.

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 08:39:26 PM »
^^You definitely make some valid points man, you're right about artists starting out positive, then changing their tune. Kinda reflects society in a way, if one wants to think about it like that. Maybe just the nature of the biz.

wcsoldier

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 03:38:00 AM »
Rap is a liers music and 95% of the lyrics aren't reality , if u don't have realize that yet....  :-X

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 04:00:54 AM »
Rap is a liers music and 95% of the lyrics aren't reality , if u don't have realize that yet....  :-X

depends on what rap you are listening to  ;)

i guess mainstream rap is 95% lies.. and prolly also a lot of the west coast rap..

wcsoldier

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 04:07:12 AM »

i guess mainstream rap is 95% lies.. and prolly also a lot of the west coast rap..
yep of course and as other said, especially in the current era, I listen to lots of rap/hip hop so it's not a critic but imo you just have to be a little mature and being conscious that you ain't a gangsta or a renegade  coz you listen to rap.... some peeps who are as old as me , still haven't  :grumpy:

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 04:13:08 AM »

yep of course and as other said, especially in the current era, I listen to lots of rap/hip hop so it's not a critic but imo you just have to be a little mature and being conscious that you ain't a gangsta or a renegade  coz you listen to rap.... some peeps who are as old as me , still haven't  :grumpy:

it's sad  :)
i have actually found out that i don't listen to westcoast gangstarap anymore hehe.. i'm so tired of hearing about how gangsta they are and how many times they got shot :P.. i only listen to it when i'm partying, but thats cuz we need some hard beats to drink to. :rock: