Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread (WWE, TNA, etc.)  (Read 274690 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Sticky: The Official WWE Thread
« Reply #5325 on: March 17, 2010, 08:29:30 AM »

also, the ratings for impact keep on slippin....below a 1.0 this week.  ouch.

So much for my predicted 1.3

I wish I had an answer for this. It was by no means a solid show that I thought deserved a high rating. They have no super over guys and no reason for good ratings. I think maybe it's time to get everyone over 40 off TV, except for Flair. I couldn't stand AJ's promos if he was out there by himself.
They will promote the hell out of the Hogan/Flair matches last week but Elano to announce anything with Hardy and RVD, two of their biggest aquisitions (Hardy is arguably the biggest star in wrestling). That's a big mistake right there.

You think Hardy is that big? I've been out of the loop for a while so I don't know, but when he was in WWE he was as big as Cena?

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #5326 on: March 17, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »
Hardy was highly popular with nearly everybody, especially near the end of his run when he feuded with CM Punk.
I'd say he was as big as Cena, or pretty close to it, before he left.

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Sikotic™

« Reply #5327 on: March 17, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »
He was definitely one of the top 3 guys when he left. I'm sure his merchandise sales were somewhere on the level of Cena's too.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5328 on: March 17, 2010, 01:08:55 PM »
I guess that means that WWE has no real stars, because if a guy as big as Cena can jump ship and no one cares enough to switch over than that means if Cena jumped ship the same thing would happen. Hogan jumping ship, even at the end of his run, really helped WCW, and when he turned heel it catapulted them. If Austin or Rock jumped to WCW after WWE took over again WCW's ratings would skyrocket (until Russo booked iut into the ground and then the ratings would plummit again).

Sikotic™

« Reply #5329 on: March 17, 2010, 05:47:46 PM »
I guess that means that WWE has no real stars, because if a guy as big as Cena can jump ship and no one cares enough to switch over than that means if Cena jumped ship the same thing would happen. Hogan jumping ship, even at the end of his run, really helped WCW, and when he turned heel it catapulted them. If Austin or Rock jumped to WCW after WWE took over again WCW's ratings would skyrocket (until Russo booked iut into the ground and then the ratings would plummit again).
Sadly, I agree with everything you said. Another thing too, Hogan and all the big WWE acquisitions (Hall, Nash, etc) seemed to get a lot of hype behind them going into WCW. They made it a big deal that this guy was coming to their company which did a lot of draw ratings.

TNA acts like they already have a huge fan base to build on. They need to understand that they should be building on their talent acquisitions and make it a big deal that they are going to compete in TNA. You can't just bring in RVD and have him get destroyed by Sting. Or just book Jeff Hardy on the fly to face your world champion without any build up. What in the fuck are they thinking? First of all, Hardy vs. Styles should of never been given away on TV period. That's a HUGE match that would draw because of Hardy's involvement and would actually legitimize AJ Styles against a top tier former WWE guy.

They blew all of that though.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #5330 on: March 17, 2010, 06:04:15 PM »
Sadly, I agree with everything you said. Another thing too, Hogan and all the big WWE acquisitions (Hall, Nash, etc) seemed to get a lot of hype behind them going into WCW. They made it a big deal that this guy was coming to their company which did a lot of draw ratings.

TNA acts like they already have a huge fan base to build on. They need to understand that they should be building on their talent acquisitions and make it a big deal that they are going to compete in TNA. You can't just bring in RVD and have him get destroyed by Sting. Or just book Jeff Hardy on the fly to face your world champion without any build up. What in the fuck are they thinking? First of all, Hardy vs. Styles should of never been given away on TV period. That's a HUGE match that would draw because of Hardy's involvement and would actually legitimize AJ Styles against a top tier former WWE guy.

The marketing and promotion team at TNA all need to be fired. The presentation of that program is piss poor. I only watch 1 or 2 matches at the most and turn it off. Even the monologues are horrible at times.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #5331 on: March 17, 2010, 09:43:37 PM »
Yup.  For returning stars, you get two chances at big buzz.  First week: run-in or interview.  Second week: first match back.  When you just throw the dude into a match the first week it's kinda lame, and almost takes away all of the importance on it's own.  

I mean, even with RVD, you coulda worked an angle where he doesn't wrestle until the next PPV and just have him do run-ins and mic spots for a month...

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5332 on: March 17, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »

Even they built up Hardy like Hogan, or Hall and Nash I can't imagine it generating the same buzz. There's a certain charisma Hogan and the Outsiders had that I never saw in Hardy. Now Angle I think they could have done better with when he joined. And if Russo was booking Hogan, Hall, and Nash he probably would have ruined them quick too.

You couldn't have done an invasion style angle because the rich history of the WCW/NWA isn't there for TNA. Even theough they were once NWA-TNA, most old time fans associated NWA with WCW, even after WCW dropped NWA. There's no Arn Anderson, Lugers, or Stings in TNA to go against an outsider gimmick.

Also, I really feel they need to promote some houses. Angle's first match in would have meant a lot more if they could have built it up to a main event at an arena. Even now they should try and work a real crowd, even if they give the tickets away TNA has to be seen in the same type of venue you see WWE. A short term loss for a long term gain.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #5333 on: March 18, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »

Even they built up Hardy like Hogan, or Hall and Nash I can't imagine it generating the same buzz. There's a certain charisma Hogan and the Outsiders had that I never saw in Hardy. Now Angle I think they could have done better with when he joined. And if Russo was booking Hogan, Hall, and Nash he probably would have ruined them quick too.

You couldn't have done an invasion style angle because the rich history of the WCW/NWA isn't there for TNA. Even theough they were once NWA-TNA, most old time fans associated NWA with WCW, even after WCW dropped NWA. There's no Arn Anderson, Lugers, or Stings in TNA to go against an outsider gimmick.

Also, I really feel they need to promote some houses. Angle's first match in would have meant a lot more if they could have built it up to a main event at an arena. Even now they should try and work a real crowd, even if they give the tickets away TNA has to be seen in the same type of venue you see WWE. A short term loss for a long term gain.

I think currently McMahon has learned from his mistakes, and right now the WWE is larger than any one star. In the old days, it was the WWF running on Hulkamania, or the saying the WWF is running on Diesel Power, and his last push for a major star was the Rock who ended up going to Hollywood. Since then McMahon hasn't had that big push, except for John Cena but even then his a RKO away from being replaced, and in the case of Randy Orton or Edge, they are great heels but they are not the face of the company. Now, at the end of the day, if Orton, Cena and Edge all leave, then we're talking real news, that would force people to change the channel. But if Angle on his own doing it, or Hardy on his own doing it is not attracting the viewers, then no single star will.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5334 on: March 19, 2010, 12:38:55 PM »
the WWF is running on Diesel Power

Please take that back. Please!

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #5335 on: March 19, 2010, 01:25:08 PM »

Can't, watch WWF 1994-1995.

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5336 on: March 19, 2010, 02:01:32 PM »

LMAO, I was at the live event when Diesel won the title from Bob Backlund in 8 seconds at MSG.

I saw the birth of Diesel Power...

Sikotic™

« Reply #5337 on: March 19, 2010, 06:36:13 PM »
Just a head's up for anyone in the Southern California area this August.

Summerslam tickets go on sale tomorrow.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5338 on: March 20, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »

I watched it religiously, but to say that it was running on Diesel Power would mean it would have made less money with out Diesel, and that is simply wrong. We're talking about a time when Diesel as champ was playing second fiddle to NFL Linebacker Lawrence Taylor who was main eventing Wrestlemania. Diesel Power wasn't running shit.

Most people sat 13 was the worst Mania but at least 13 had Hart/Austin. What did 11 have? A mid carder facing a non draw for the world title and it wasn't even that last match? C'mon.

Sikotic™

« Reply #5339 on: March 20, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »
I remember enjoying WM 13 as a kid since it was the first Wrestlemania I ever got to convince my parents to get on pay-per-view, but in hindsight, it was kinda shitty minus Austin vs. Hart.

THA SAUCE HOUSE