Author Topic: Chuck Swirsky checks in (Playoff Editiion)  (Read 110 times)

PLANT

Chuck Swirsky checks in (Playoff Editiion)
« on: May 11, 2006, 02:52:14 PM »
This is a weekly email I get from Raptors.com where Chuck Swirsky(NBA Broadcaster) talks about news and notes from around the league....Thought Id post it up for ya......

by Chuck Swirsky
--raptors.com
May 11, 2006

(TORONTO) -- With the playoffs in the second round, let me share with you the twenty-five things I've learned watching the playoffs this year.

1. The Cavs had a marvelous series against the Wiz but they have nothing left in the tank.

2. Not sure how much better the Lakers will be next year. In fact, they may not make the playoffs. The Lakers won't have cap room until the summer of '07.

3. The Nuggets are in for a long, long offseason.

4. I'm sure there are a few NBA players jealous of Steve Nash winning his second straight MVP award but don't think for a second they wouldn't want to play alongside him.

5. LeBron James looks much older than 21. He is a man. His strength, his shoulders. It's scary to think how good he's going to be. By the way, the beard has got to go.

6. If the Heat flame out what options does Pat Riley have to shake up his team other than the mid-level exemption?

7. Think Kobe looked disinterested in the second half of Game 7 against Phoenix?

8. Pau Gasol needs an infusion of new talent if the Grizz hope to make the postseason next year.

9. Ben Wallace and Steve Nash cemented their places in the Hall of Fame by winning their respective awards this year.

10. Andrew Bogut will benefit from his playoff experience.

11. Vince Carter's explosion to the rim brings back fond memories of a chapter gone by in Raptors history.

12. If TNT were smart they would use announcer Kevin Calabro more on their telecasts.

13. Not really sure what to think of Kiki Vandeweghe's performance as a GM.

14. The day Grant Hill retires I would groom him to be a front-office executive.

15. Is Tayshaun Price a player or what?

16. I wish the Clippers played earlier in the night so more fans could appreciate Elton Brand.

17. Once you've seen a game in HD you'll never go back.

18. Does Damon Jones have some onions or what?

19. How good would a Jason Kidd-Steve Nash Finals be?

20. Check out past CCI's... Did I not tell you about Anderson Varejao?

21. One of the best things about the NBA playoffs... no camera cut aways of Ottawa Senators GM John Muckler. On the other hand, if the Spurs make the Finals we'll see plenty of Eva Longoria. I'll take that trade-off any day.

22. In the past month I received a ton of e-mails complaining about how boring the Pistons and Spurs are. Boring? Are you kidding me?

23. Rick Adelman is just like me and you. He's now a spectator watching the playoffs. He won't be out of work long. Great, great run.

24. I wonder what Joe Johnson is thinking.

25. I am a big fan of Indiana's Rick Carlisle. The pressure will be cranked up next year for sure.

Let's go to the mailbag:

Adam from Burnaby, BC: Chuck, straight up yes or no. Is Chris Bosh an untouchable?

Chuck: In my world, yes. But again I'm not the general manager. I'm just the broadcaster. But Bryan Colangelo has mentioned many times he wants to build this club around CB4.

Bart from Cincinnati: What ever happened to former Raptors coach Butch Carter?

Chuck: I have not seen or spoken to Butch since his final coaching assignment in 2000 in game three of the Raptors playoff series against the Knicks. The only thing I remember about that game is Larry Johnson knocking down a 26 foot bank shot dead on above the three point circle. That was the dagger in the game and series. Carter was dismissed weeks later. From what I understand he attends games at ACC from time to time and is very involved in the Toronto business community.

Gary from Toronto: Is that ex-Raptor John Thomas in a Nets uniform?

Chuck: One of my all-time favourite people. He is sincere, kind, considerate of others and has no ego and for a pro athlete that is a rarity believe me. The Nets have a good man.

Nathan from Amherst, Mass. Chuck, I love it when the Celtics' announcers talk about you. It seems like you have a good relationship with them. What do you think of the Celtics? Will we make any trades? Thanks for CCI.

Chuck: I have the utmost respect for both their radio and television teams. Outstanding broadcasters and better people. I think Danny Ainge is a mover and shaker and is proactive. They are very young so it wouldn't surprise me to see them attempt to acquire a veteran point guard. I like the direction of the Celtics. If Al Jefferson can get in shape and stay healthy he could develop into a rock-solid stud.

Teja from Newmarket, Ontario: Chuck, are there any plans to bring in LeBron James for a preseason game?

Chuck: The Raptors have not announced their preseason schedule. We will post it on Raptors.com when it becomes available. Normally that happens sometime in August.

Mart from Colborne, Ontario: Do you foresee a busy offseason for the Raptors? Will they trade their pick?

Chuck: I think Bryan Colangelo is keeping an open mind on everything and anything. He wants to improve this club but wants to do it in a manner that's just not a one-year fix. Regarding specific players I have no idea who is or isn't on the table. Quite honestly it's none of my business. I have complete faith in Colangelo and his staff. This guy has an incredibly high basketball I.Q. I am so fired up for the draft and free-agent signining period (beginning July 1) but I also understand that patience must be stressed.

Peter from Toronto: I am the self-proclaimed biggest Raptors fan in Toronto. I love going to games and read everything I can about the team. I have never missed watching a road game on television. Is it possible you can write more than once a week on Raptors.com?

Chuck: You aren't going to believe this but just three days ago I dropped by the Raptors broadcasting office and ran in to our ace internet team. A discussion came up about producing a daily blog or close to it with my views on the Raptors, NBA and basketball in general. The blog will begin just before the draft. I am excited about this. I love communicating with our fan base. Thank you.

E-mail photo | Buy photos 

Chuck loves this Gilbert Arenas throwback jersey (Getty Images)
Ronald from London, Ontario: I listen to your show on the Fan 590 and have heard you discuss your love of jerseys and uniforms. Do you collect them?

Chuck: I am not a collector. My twelve-year old son is however and he has far too many in his closet. Some of my favourites of active players: Gilbert Arenas' throwback (Baltimore Bullets orange jersey). Elton Brand wearing an old Buffalo Braves orange and black retro jersey. Michael Redd in a Milwaukee Bucks 1971 green, red and white jersey... one of the best of all time. Where can I find a Leo Rautins '83 Philadelphia 76ers jersey?

Sam from Wilmington, Delaware: Chuck, next time you play the 76ers please visit us. You'll love our state. I read all kinds of basketball websites. I like the Raptors and Mavs pages the best. Do you correspond with NBA writers?

Chuck: I'll make a confession right here on CCI. I have never been to Delaware. In fact I have always been intrigued with the nickname of the University of Delaware "Blue Hens". I have never seen a "Blue Hen" have you? My broadcast partner Jack Armstrong says the campus is beautiful. I have a lot of respect for NBA beat reporters but no, I don't communicate with them other than when they appear on my radio show or before NBA games.

Mort from Burlington: Will Joey Graham be a major rotation player next season or do you think he'll be an end-of-the bench player?

Chuck: That's up to Joey. If he comes into camp and plays the way I think he's capable of playing and secures playing time then I think you'll see a confident player on the court. It's a two-way street. The player has to produce. The coaching staff has to get the most out of his abilities. I am expecting Graham to have a solid year. No one questions his work ethic or his outstanding physical skills.

More news and notes from the Swirsk

Let's not kid anyone. The NBA is a star-driven league. Don't believe me? Look at the TV ratings when Kobe, Shaq and LeBron are on.

Larry Bird ripped into his team and I think he has a legitimate point. The Pacers, despite their injuries, did underachieve. However, Bird should share some of the blame. This is a big-time offseason for the Pacers if they expect to return to the playoffs.

I think Lawrence Frank is a pretty good coach.

Got to love Mike D'Antoni. Excellent coach. Smooth on the bench.

You know you've made it when you have an energy drink named after you. Ben Gordon's "BG7" has pure organic white tea which reportedly has five times the antioxidants and health benefits of green tea.

What's going on with "The Donald"? No, not that Donald. Donald Sterling, owner of the Clippers. In a recent interview he told reporters, "I probably have the only franchise without debt service. There is no shortage of money, I'm 100 per cent behind whatever my people want me to do." Remember, this is the same owner who once wondered why players don't pay for their own game socks.

Mark Cuban is shelling out $200,000 thousand to the NBA office for his actions/comments regarding who else- NBA officials. In a span covering his time as owner of the Mavericks he has paid out a whopping $1.4 million. That deserves a wow-wow-wow-wow!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 02:56:21 PM by PLANT IZ ACTIVE »

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Chuck Swirsky checks in (Playoff Editiion)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 04:38:03 PM »
ARE U KIDDING ME? THAT WAS SICK,WICKED AND NASTY!!!!

lol i love when Chuck does commentary for raptors games and he says that  ;D

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

PLANT

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 05:07:09 PM »

no doubt!  chuck is a great broadcaster....I enjoy listening to him do the games

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 05:18:39 PM »

no doubt!  chuck is a great broadcaster....I enjoy listening to him do the games

yea i got  raptors tv so i get to see quite a few raptors games,hopefully next year they have a better season 8)

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 07:07:18 PM »

love that saying. "SICK, WICKED AND NASTY"  and it was dope when carter would do some sick dunk and he would pronounce his ful name Vincent Lamar Carter.

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 10:41:43 PM »

love that saying. "SICK, WICKED AND NASTY"  and it was dope when carter would do some sick dunk and he would pronounce his ful name Vincent Lamar Carter.

lol yea chuck's a coo dude 8)